Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

I've do far found that default efficiency is more than sufficient for going just about anywhere and getting back home with the seamoth no problem. Absolute worst case scenario, I have a backup powercell in its storage. No idea about the Prawn Suit since I don't have it. I haven't qactually tried building things like refabricators in the Cyclops yet though there's plenty of wall so I assume it's possible? But I also assume that you can't get infinite power by building a power cell recharger inside it. My current plan is to use the Cyclops' storage to carry enough poo poo for a lovely hobo base to try to use that for power rather than using the Cyclops' power itself. Once I start finding kyanite I have the blueprint for the thermal charger which will solve my issues as I just park it somewhere warm wherever I go.

lol I'm that idiot that built a power cell charger inside the Cyclops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Knobb Manwich posted:

The biggest flaw is not being able to ride a Reaper like a worm from Dune.

You totally can.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Yeah I wasn't counting prawn grappling, I meant in your swim shorts.

I want a pet reaper that I can ride around and fight other reapers with.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If the next patch came out and all it had in it were Reaper eggs that could be hatched for Reaper pets that could be ridden as a vehicle, I think it would be entirely worth it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funnily enough, you used to be able to build power cell chargers inside your Cyclopes for an infinite power loop. They patched that, obviously.

I lucked out, found a time capsule with a few ion power cells.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I found a capsule with ion cells in it. I thought they would be used to make other gear down the road so I stuck them in a locker.

Then much later I found out how to build them and went... oh. :smith:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

I've so far found that default efficiency is more than sufficient for going just about anywhere and getting back home with the seamoth no problem. Absolute worst case scenario, I have a backup powercell in its storage. No idea about the Prawn Suit since I don't have it. I haven't actually tried building things like refabricators in the Cyclops yet though there's plenty of wall so I assume it's possible? But I also assume that you can't get infinite power by building a power cell recharger inside it. My current plan is to use the Cyclops' storage to carry enough poo poo for a lovely hobo base to try to use that for power rather than using the Cyclops' power itself. Once I start finding kyanite I have the blueprint for the thermal charger which will solve my issues as I just park it somewhere warm wherever I go.

You can build fabricators and upgrade stations in the cyclops, as well as put down lockers and grow beds. You basically don't need a base any more except to craft prawn upgrades only available in the moonpool. You will need to make a few power stations to recharge along the way, but once you have the thermal upgrade you will be set forever.

Remember, you don't need power cell chargers in a base you are not using. They are expensive, so disassemble them before you leave and take it with you. I have one locker on my Cyclopes that is just "all the materials to make a multipurpose room/generator/power cell charger/scanner" Also take the range upgrades out of your scanner room before you go! That way you don't have to spend a lot of resources making more chargers and upgrades. I usually leave a shell of a base with some grow beds and the bio-generator (in case I need to come back) but I disassemble the rest.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like my homey base underneath the floating island but yeah now that I have the Cyclops I'm highly considering becoming homeless. Unsure whether I'll reclaim all the titanium though, or leave my nice-looking base there.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I remember when this was still in early access, fish wouldn't respawn so you'd eventually run out of cool ocean life if you hung around an area for too long. Did they ever change this cause that's such a huge oversight that kills my desire to play otherwise.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It certainly feels like the tiny, edible fish respawn. The stalker I rammed to death with my Seamoth didn’t come back though

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I remember when this was still in early access, fish wouldn't respawn so you'd eventually run out of cool ocean life if you hung around an area for too long. Did they ever change this cause that's such a huge oversight that kills my desire to play otherwise.

Sounds more like a feature to me, you are having an impact on the ecosystem from overfishing!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Yeah they fixed that. Eat away!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah they fixed that. Eat away!

hell yeah

having a barren shallows after a few hours really killed the vibe of the game so I'm glad to hear that

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Protein-rich eyeballs. Dig in.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

Sounds more like a feature to me, you are having an impact on the ecosystem from overfishing!
I bought into that until I went into the effort to build a new base 600+ meters away from the lifepod, touch nothing but my home grown alien containment fish, and still see everything go extinct to the same old "Your fault for overfishing. Isn't it so great there is an ecosystem?" punchline :doh:

On the flipside, the best way to prevent boneshark attacks back then was to build little outposts and get lucky with it turning into a ghost town. Passive aggressive construction is a feature more games should have as a tactical option.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 27, 2018

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
are there any uniquely good places for a main base? item transportation seems like such a pain in the rear end i'd rather just ask here instead of trying to find it myself

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You only need a "main base" if you really want one. You can instead just set up small bases where you can charge power cells. You can fill the cyclops with more storage than you'll need.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I enjoy the base building stuff, mostly. I've learned to pack the Cyclops with pre made parts and sorted resources to slap down a base with everything I need quickly enough.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Getting down underground is one thing, but am I expected to get a Cyclops down there? I'm tempted to build a second Cyclops to take underground without having to navigate caves to get in and out.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

Getting down underground is one thing, but am I expected to get a Cyclops down there? I'm tempted to build a second Cyclops to take underground without having to navigate caves to get in and out.

What I found helpful was to scout ahead and drop beacons at decent waypoints that I could more easily follow in the Cyclops. That's how I got it through the Lost River - but really, as long as you identify an entrance point for the Cyclops, moving it around underground isn't quite as bad as it seems.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Inescapable Duck posted:

Some entrances are easier to navigate than others The Northern Blood Kelp Zone in the NW and the Mountains Entrance in the NE are probably the widest and easiest to navigate. The Blood Kelp one usually lets you avoid any leviathans too

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So if a Reaper(I assume that's the giant leviathan fuckers that grab your sea moth in its face-claws) breaks your sea moth, it's just gone, you can't even collect debris? Was leaving my first trip to the Aurora and one "snuck" up behind me(insofar as a screaming horror just constantly yelling right behind me until it grabbed me while I tried to run away can sneak up on you), so everything on it is gone, all storage and such? That seems a bit bullshit to just have it irrecoverably disintegrate like that when there's huge chunks of sea moths every five feet on the ocean floor. Lost my Repulsion Cannon and the upgraded diving suit, since I thought it hosed up your sea moth a bit and then threw it, but it seems it only does that when you're not inside, if you're inside it just smashes it until it destroys it. It should just kill you outright and leave debris you can collect like when you die normally and explode into loot confetti all over the place.

Will the defense system repel Reapers, or is that just for tiny things like Stalkers?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

So if a Reaper(I assume that's the giant leviathan fuckers that grab your sea moth in its face-claws) breaks your sea moth, it's just gone, you can't even collect debris? Was leaving my first trip to the Aurora and one "snuck" up behind me(insofar as a screaming horror just constantly yelling right behind me until it grabbed me while I tried to run away can sneak up on you), so everything on it is gone, all storage and such? That seems a bit bullshit to just have it irrecoverably disintegrate like that when there's huge chunks of sea moths every five feet on the ocean floor. Lost my Repulsion Cannon and the upgraded diving suit, since I thought it hosed up your sea moth a bit and then threw it, but it seems it only does that when you're not inside, if you're inside it just smashes it until it destroys it. It should just kill you outright and leave debris you can collect like when you die normally and explode into loot confetti all over the place.

Will the defense system repel Reapers, or is that just for tiny things like Stalkers?

A destroyed Seamoth or Prawn results in you getting gently caress all back, yeah. Though a destroyed Cyclops seems to keep the contents of it's lockers and module console intact, I have found it drains all power cells in the engine room to zero when testing (because gently caress you I guess?) and cleans out any growbeds you had in it.

The Seamoth does have a nice upgrade, The perimeter defense. Electric zappy. Alas, it will only work if you are INSIDE your seamoth at the time to pull the trigger. Because while they can eat your tasty scuba flesh, they seem to love wrecking a parked seamoth over attacking you personally (And are ready to take full advantage of their no-clip skills if you try to park it somewhere clever). But it will make them let go and lose aggro for a bit if you zap them while being chewed on.

I have found that preemptively zapping reapers does gently caress all to reapers. So you end up taking less damage by letting them bite you if you can't outrun them, so as to instantly zap them with the weakest of taps. Compared to zapping them right in the face with a full length maxed out charge, where they just ignore the lightning to the eyesockets and now you are waiting on it's cooldown to zap them while being chewed on.

The repulsion gun can sorta shove them around actually. It doesn't do much to discourage them from constantly trying to eat you or your parked seamoth, but it gives you much more leeway to hop in before they take a bite (not so much if they are already chewing on it, so far).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 27, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Alternatively, don't take your fragile vehicle out in leviathan-infested waters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Can you kill Reapers?

I know the seasons don't fear the Reapers, nor do the wind, the sun or the rain, but can we be like they are?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Captain Invictus posted:

Can you kill Reapers?

I know the seasons don't fear the Reapers, nor do the wind, the sun or the rain, but can we be like they are?

It takes many PRAWN punches, or a ridiculous number of torpedoes. You can also carry like four batteries for your stasis rifle and alternate between stasis shots and whacks with a knife.

Then after you leave the area, the reaper respawns. :effort:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It takes many PRAWN punches, or a ridiculous number of torpedoes. You can also carry like four batteries for your stasis rifle and alternate between stasis shots and whacks with a knife.

Huh. What's respawning like in this game, then? I've noticed items don't seem to despawn regardless of how much time goes by, there's still a big pile of the purple mushrooms under my base from when I first spawned and thought they were maybe food so hoovered up all of the ones nearby only to be disappointed. When I first made the Prawn Suit a few hours ago, I killed a few bone/sand sharks and stalkers and the annoying manatee things, and they don't seem to have come back, though it might just take some time.

Is there a mod scene for this game yet/at all? If there's mods to keep Reapers from respawning, I think that'd be a reasonable thing, if they're really that hard to kill and extremely dangerous when trying to do so. Maybe an item stacking mod, or something like that too, even having things stacking x2 or x3 for basic materials would be nice. Something to make replacing a vehicle not such a horrendous task would be good too, like making the mods for the sea moth is basically "I only want to ever do this once"-level expensive, maybe make it so the new one spawns with the mods that were installed in the old one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I'm pretty sure this is still the case. If fish do respawn, they do so at an insanely slow rate. You absolutely can still decimate the local fish population. In my first run I noticed that bladderfish were basically extinct near my base since I had eaten so many of them.

That said, there are so many loving fish out there who cares? If you just want fish swimming around your base you can catch them somewhere else and relocate them to wherever you want. Despite what you might think, everything is persistent in this game. Items don't despawn and fish you drop from your inventory will hang around where ever you place them.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Inescapable Duck posted:

Now that I've found and marked a few different entrances to the underground caves, I've started experimenting with just parking the Cyclops over top of one and dropping in with the Prawn. It's quicker to chain-grapple your way back up than to try and maneuver the sub around down there while dodging leviathans. Plus it feels pretty badass to deploy from the Cyclops and drop 500m straight down into the abyss in your armored mech suit like a space marine. But like a space marine that works on planets, from ships. Some kind of maritime space marine.

My question: do fuel rods ever get consumed in a reactor? I'll be pretty annoyed if uranium rods last shorter than the freaking eternal flare that's been burning next to my base for like two solid months.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Captain Invictus posted:

Can you kill Reapers?

It takes about 2 minutes and a few shots with a stasis gun to kill one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSBAtz_K5CE

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Now that I've found and marked a few different entrances to the underground caves, I've started experimenting with just parking the Cyclops over top of one and dropping in with the Prawn. It's quicker to chain-grapple your way back up than to try and maneuver the sub around down there while dodging leviathans. Plus it feels pretty badass to deploy from the Cyclops and drop 500m straight down into the abyss in your armored mech suit like a space marine. But like a space marine that works on planets, from ships. Some kind of maritime space marine.

My question: do fuel rods ever get consumed in a reactor? I'll be pretty annoyed if uranium rods last shorter than the freaking eternal flare that's been burning next to my base for like two solid months.
The only thing that should put a proper dent into nuclear reactors now is long term use of scan rooms, water purification, and recharging ion cells.... Or install lamps in your base :v: because permanent always on drain is a bastard to finite fuel sources no matter how low the drain is.

The current 20,000 per rod these days (unless that's a typo) sounds like an amazing amount on paper. And it is. But the filtration machine still takes 800 energy per water bottle (1,600 for two bottles in a cycle). A full battery charger, or power cell charger with Ion versions is 2,000 power worth of batteries. However much the scan room drains these days. It can catch up to you if you expected it to take care of all your power needs in a luxury base the same way putting down a couple thermal generators would with their infinite sustain.

Nuclear power will either be more energy than you ever need all game, or you will suddenly discover it wasn't. Depending on how long you use any respective base, and for what. But you have to be notably using the heavy hitters of drain (or install lamps. 1 energy per second that never, ever, stops, adds up.) for that to happen now, I think. More so with combined power sources.

Shortly before launch even, the nuclear reactor vs purification machine logistics was "Reactor rod = slightly more than one use of the filtration machine". When it was 2,500 per reactor rod, and 1,200 per water bottle. So thank god for whoever slapped that extra zero onto reactor rod values before launch to make the thing even worth thinking about by the time you unlock it :v:

EDIT: I have found that even if you build it last, it will slowly skim off the top of Nuclear/Bio fuel. At an incredibly slow rate making this essentially trivia, but it's there. Even if your remaining power never dips below twice what they provide, it seems to draw on them a bit at a time because your solar panels in the middle of the day or thermal generators were at 99.9999% power. This will take ages, but it's also why I still find my bio reactors I built last as ultimate :tinfoil: insurance running out of fuel in a base that never drops below 1,000 power, if I leave my scan room my pile of solar panels and thermal plants can more than handle leaving on 24/7.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 27, 2018

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Section Z posted:

The only thing that should put a proper dent into nuclear reactors now is long term use of scan rooms, water purification, and recharging ion cells.... Or install lamps in your base :v: because permanent always on drain is a bastard to finite fuel sources no matter how low the drain is.

Oh, well, I was planning on using that base to recharge the ion cells I've now got installed on everything. :v: At least fuel rods are pretty cheap to make.

It does also have some solar panels, I mainly installed the reactor to keep things running and charging through the night (yeah, that was overkill). Will it drain the solar portion first and only dip into nukes if needed?

e: for scan rooms, it seems like they don't actually need power to highlight materials on your hud, just to change whatever you're scanning for. I built a little scanning outpost with a bioreactor that will happily keep scanning forever, and if I want to scan for something else I just throw a few garbage weeds in to turn the lights back on for a few minutes. Granted, not really a solution for a main base, but it seems to work fine if you just built it to scan.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 27, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh, well, I was planning on using that base to recharge the ion cells I've now got installed on everything. :v: At least fuel rods are pretty cheap to make.

It does also have some solar panels, I mainly installed the reactor to keep things running and charging through the night (yeah, that was overkill). Will it drain the solar portion first and only dip into nukes if needed?
Nukes are now so big that the odd quirk of "Sometimes It will skim off the top at ??? comatose snail pace" will probably never be seen except in the longest of not beating the game on purpose playthroughs. At least when I see it happen to Bio, that's watching fish fuel vanish piecemeal from leaving my scan room on permanently. Which amounts to a curiosity given the rest of the power grid built before it.

Even provided a 1 to 1 energy ratio, one reactor rod should be good for 20 ion cells. As opposed to the pre-launch "Two and a half ion cells=one rod?".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 27, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Lights draining 1 energy per second seems like a bug. They should drain, like, 50 energy a day, max.

Also, this game suffers from Doom 3 syndrome, where having lights in your helmet(like we have literally now, and takes very little battery for a lot of light) is shunned in favor of a clumsy flashlight that you can't use at the same time as anything else and drains battery surprisingly fast. Where's my "duct tape the knife to the end of the flashlight" mod? :v:

ded posted:

It takes about 2 minutes and a few shots with a stasis gun to kill one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSBAtz_K5CE
Man, it kinda sucks you can't harvest anything from larger creatures. Like making weapons for the Prawn out of Reaper jaws would be rad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The lunatic mercenary from the Degasi survivors specifically mentions that. I think it's meant as a jab at Monster Hunter type games.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I have a nuclear reactor in my base and in the roughly 40 hours of play since I've built it I've only replaced 3 spent rods. This base is running a moonpool, grow room, tons of floodlights on the outside, a 3 story aquarium, a bedroom, scanner room with 4 range upgrades, 4 power cell chargers, 2 battery chargers, water filtration, and my fabricator and modification stations of course. Never had any issues. Before I built my cyclops there was a second moonpool for my prawn. I need to get back into the game but I had to do a bunch of computer work and the pop in when jumping down into the lava zone kept freezing my game. I'm hoping the repairs and adjustments I've made will stop that from happening now.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Captain Invictus posted:

Huh. What's respawning like in this game, then? I've noticed items don't seem to despawn regardless of how much time goes by, there's still a big pile of the purple mushrooms under my base from when I first spawned and thought they were maybe food so hoovered up all of the ones nearby only to be disappointed. When I first made the Prawn Suit a few hours ago, I killed a few bone/sand sharks and stalkers and the annoying manatee things, and they don't seem to have come back, though it might just take some time.

Is there a mod scene for this game yet/at all? If there's mods to keep Reapers from respawning, I think that'd be a reasonable thing, if they're really that hard to kill and extremely dangerous when trying to do so. Maybe an item stacking mod, or something like that too, even having things stacking x2 or x3 for basic materials would be nice. Something to make replacing a vehicle not such a horrendous task would be good too, like making the mods for the sea moth is basically "I only want to ever do this once"-level expensive, maybe make it so the new one spawns with the mods that were installed in the old one.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica

I use all of these:

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/33
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/12
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/16 <--- This one first, it's the mod manager
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/24
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/41

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Inescapable Duck posted:

The lunatic mercenary from the Degasi survivors specifically mentions that. I think it's meant as a jab at Monster Hunter type games.
Ah, I haven't read much of the logs and stuff. It's weird it doesn't pause the game when you go to read them, too. Most games do that when you are reading documents and stuff.
rad, most of these are right up my alley. Thanks!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Plus it feels pretty badass to deploy from the Cyclops and drop 500m straight down into the abyss in your armored mech suit like a space marine. But like a space marine that works on planets, from ships. Some kind of maritime space marine.

We call them ocean space Marines. I tame them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

One of the things I really like about this game is that, aside from basic subsistence hunting, killing stuff is rarely the best way forward.