Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think Mohawk Girls is still on the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Longmire had a Cheyenne advisor on-set and also went and cast a lot of Cheyenne actors and extras, too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

big cummers ONLY posted:

The teacher in the saved but the Bell was like "Zach you're racist!" But then Zach went to go talk to a real Native American so when he did another report it wasn't racist. Even though I'm almost positive he was still wearing headgear and poo poo. (Either way it was definitely still racist)

SBTB was always terrible and hasn't aged worth a poo poo. The turd just got harder and stopped stinking and steaming so bad. It was the 90's version of The Brady Bunch, which also had a weird Native American episode come to think of it, and anyone nostalgic for it views those shows through similar lenses: Kitschy goofball "how did I ever like this?" sort of poo poo.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It is great on weed but so is everything

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Inescapable Duck posted:

Sad thing is that's pretty much 99% of the representation Native Americans got or seem to ever get. When the stereotypes became distasteful it seems like they disappeared from media. About the only non-stereotypical Native American I can think of on a mainstream show is John Redcorn, and even he still parodies elements of the stereotype.

Scratching my head to come up with another example, first one to pop up was Michael Horse's role as Deputy Hawk on Twin Peaks. It's been probably over 20 years since I watched it, so someone correct me, but I seem to recall it being okay? (Then again, there were no doubt a lot of things I wouldn't have noticed as being offensive 20 years ago. Hence, this thread)

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Other than Kimmy Schmidt, the only Native Americans I've seen in media recently have been in super depressing documentaries about alcoholism and suicide on reservations. Thanks, VICE.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

BiggerBoat posted:

SBTB was always terrible and hasn't aged worth a poo poo. The turd just got harder and stopped stinking and steaming so bad. It was the 90's version of The Brady Bunch, which also had a weird Native American episode come to think of it, and anyone nostalgic for it views those shows through similar lenses: Kitschy goofball "how did I ever like this?" sort of poo poo.

I watched Saved By the Bell a few years ago ever since I listened to the Go Bayside podcast, and yeah, the only way anyone can ever watch it is out of nostalgia, like me.

The entire show makes more sense if you imagine it as being written by a bunch of 50-year-old men that just don't care.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Scratching my head to come up with another example, first one to pop up was Michael Horse's role as Deputy Hawk on Twin Peaks. It's been probably over 20 years since I watched it, so someone correct me, but I seem to recall it being okay? (Then again, there were no doubt a lot of things I wouldn't have noticed as being offensive 20 years ago. Hence, this thread)

Ehh... Hawk is a great character and he is portrayed as a good person, good cop, capable, etc. But he does fall into the trope where he's forced to explain weird things to white people, and talk about the spirits and legends and stuff. But like, it's Twin Peaks and all that stuff is demonstrably real. And the Log Lady does that stuff too but it's presented as cryptic words from her log and not an ancient Indian tale or whatever.

It's one of the better portrayals but it's not perfect.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Hey Dude had Danny Lightfoot and an entire episode dedicated to him dunking on the city kid about how lovely all American's lives would be without the things the Native Americans had taught them or invented.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I will never understand how Saved by the Bell is classified as E/I programming on MeTV, especially since it follows two hours of Beakman's World and Bill Nye the Science Guy.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey Dude had Danny Lightfoot and an entire episode dedicated to him dunking on the city kid about how lovely all American's lives would be without the things the Native Americans had taught them or invented.

Wow they managed to get him to talk about something other than the Edmund Fitzgerald for once.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

purple death ray posted:

Ehh... Hawk is a great character and he is portrayed as a good person, good cop, capable, etc. But he does fall into the trope where he's forced to explain weird things to white people, and talk about the spirits and legends and stuff. But like, it's Twin Peaks and all that stuff is demonstrably real. And the Log Lady does that stuff too but it's presented as cryptic words from her log and not an ancient Indian tale or whatever.

It's one of the better portrayals but it's not perfect.

What’s the alternative though? No spirit stuff? His culture somehow being totally oblivious to it all?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah, I dunno. Like I said, he's a great character and I wouldn't change anything about Twin Peaks (the first season, at least).

I think it's just that I live in Oklahoma, and you get pretty saturated with the pseudo-mysticism associated with the way white people view Native cultures and I can't help but roll my eyes a little bit when it happens, even in a context where it makes sense.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Hakuchimoya, I am far from the sacred bones of my ancestors,

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Chakotay anyone?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AvesPKS posted:

Chakotay anyone?

Memory Alpha (the Star Trek wiki) listed his species as "Native American" for a while.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't the Native American advisor they had for Voyager turn out to be a white conman?

e: Yes, yes he did: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamake_Highwater

Sunswipe has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Mar 26, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I remember people being upset when Robert Beltran was cast as a Native American, to the point he had to constantly remind people in interviews that the U.S. wasn't the only part of America.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But his character was specifically from a US tribe.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Aphrodite posted:

But his character was specifically from a US tribe.

iirc he was supposed to be Mayan or some other Central American tribe, but they threw in traits from a whole bunch of native tribes from all over North America.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's hilarious how much Robert Beltran hated being on Trek. I remember him demanding an absurd amount of money to stay on the show and they gave it to him lol. He was cursed to stiffly roam the decks of Voyager

Poor son of a bitch

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Last Chance posted:

It's hilarious how much Robert Beltran hated being on Trek. I remember him demanding an absurd amount of money to stay on the show and they gave it to him lol. He was cursed to stiffly roam the decks of Voyager

Poor son of a bitch

Well, there was little chance of an Eating Raoul sequel.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wheat Loaf posted:

Memory Alpha (the Star Trek wiki) listed his species as "Native American" for a while.

probably referencing that TNG ep that made the incredibad decision to establish that First Nations peoples moved to their own planet at some point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

probably referencing that TNG ep that made the incredibad decision to establish that First Nations peoples moved to their own planet at some point.

I mean by that point there were, what, like 25 total of them left on the Earth?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mojo1701a posted:

I watched Saved By the Bell a few years ago ever since I listened to the Go Bayside podcast, and yeah, the only way anyone can ever watch it is out of nostalgia, like me.

The entire show makes more sense if you imagine it as being written by a bunch of 50-year-old men that just don't care.

yeaaaa I hadn't watched it since I was young getting one of my first crushes on Mario Lopez and BOY was Go Bayside a reveal that when you take away the fog of 'woah so THAT'S what I'm into' it's a bad fukkin show even by dumb young person show standards.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

purple death ray posted:

I think it's just that I live in Oklahoma, and you get pretty saturated with the pseudo-mysticism associated with the way white people view Native cultures and I can't help but roll my eyes a little bit when it happens, even in a context where it makes sense.

This reminds me of Ken Hotate on Parks and Rec who in one episode ends up making up an Indian curse because he knows the white people will believe it.

And thanks to the internet I just found out that the actor who played Chief Hotate, Jonathan Joss, was also the voice of John Redcorn.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

King of Foolians posted:

This reminds me of Ken Hotate on Parks and Rec who in one episode ends up making up an Indian curse because he knows the white people will believe it.

And thanks to the internet I just found out that the actor who played Chief Hotate, Jonathan Joss, was also the voice of John Redcorn.

Best bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvfKBOp9VlI

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

King of Foolians posted:

We do love our Rachel Ray/Matchbox 20, and are terrified of curses, it's true.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The Simpsons did this in 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxru23Ry0uQ

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
All summer camps used to make up fake native poo poo 100% of the time back in the day. hosed up.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017
This commercial aged badly

https://youtu.be/Bt2nV7ietFw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of many sad things is, apparently a ton of Americans have native heritage they don't know about.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

That was the weirdest loving band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNAr5tzZxdk

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
In the late 80s/early 90s War of the Worlds TV series I was pretty sure there was a Native American military guy who (when introduced, at least) just never seemed to show any sort of the stereotypical stuff.

I rewatched the pilot several years ago and it was really sort of interesting all things considered in how it felt like opposite day (from what I remember).
-The scientist guy lead isn't trying to be the peacemaker or anything with them, he actively wants to murder Martians from word go.
-The above mentioned Native American guy.
-The pilot ends with the US Gov. and the military being 100% onboard with this crazy scientist and his plan to hunt down and kill Martians. There's no hint of "Well, better luck convincing us in the next episode, Doctor. Until then..."

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

sexpig by night posted:

yeaaaa I hadn't watched it since I was young getting one of my first crushes on Mario Lopez and BOY was Go Bayside a reveal that when you take away the fog of 'woah so THAT'S what I'm into' it's a bad fukkin show even by dumb young person show standards.

It always pissed me off that Zack was a superhero with the power to stop time yet he did nothing with it. Nothing​.

Also there was a character on Shining Time Station who was native American and I remember there was an episode that specifically dealt with his background and culture in a respectful way.

AvesPKS has a new favorite as of 11:50 on Mar 27, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Sunswipe posted:

Didn't the Native American advisor they had for Voyager turn out to be a white conman?

e: Yes, yes he did: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamake_Highwater

Reminds me of good ol' Iron Eyes Cody aka that dude in the littering Psa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Suu84khNGY
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Inescapable Duck posted:

One of many sad things is, apparently a ton of Americans have native heritage they don't know about.

That's Crazy Talk.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JediTalentAgent posted:

In the late 80s/early 90s War of the Worlds TV series I was pretty sure there was a Native American military guy who (when introduced, at least) just never seemed to show any sort of the stereotypical stuff.

I rewatched the pilot several years ago and it was really sort of interesting all things considered in how it felt like opposite day (from what I remember).
-The scientist guy lead isn't trying to be the peacemaker or anything with them, he actively wants to murder Martians from word go.
-The above mentioned Native American guy.
-The pilot ends with the US Gov. and the military being 100% onboard with this crazy scientist and his plan to hunt down and kill Martians. There's no hint of "Well, better luck convincing us in the next episode, Doctor. Until then..."

The only thing I can really remember about that show is that there was an episode where the Martians were filling up a big rear end jar with human brains.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AvesPKS posted:

It always pissed me off that Zack was a superhero with the power to stop time yet he did nothing with it. Nothing​.

Also there was a character on Shining Time Station who was native American and I remember there was an episode that specifically dealt with his background and culture in a respectful way.

Yeah, Tom Jackson is a very prominent aboriginal activist and actor and a good one at that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Jackson_(actor)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

These people insulting SBTB are getting me pretty steamed up!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PXyWgLBrAyE