Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Montgomery had the best fWAR and bWAR of any rookie pitcher in baseball last year, the idea that he's just a warm rear end for a rotation spot is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

Montgomery had the best fWAR and bWAR of any rookie pitcher in baseball last year, the idea that he's just a warm rear end for a rotation spot is garbage.

I meant last year. There is no doubt that he deserves first crack at that spot.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Walker definitely puts the Yankees over the top I feel. Andujar and Torres will be back up soon enough though.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Walker for 1 year 4 mill is insane. This free agent market is nuts.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

mikeraskol posted:

Walker for 1 year 4 mill is insane. This free agent market is nuts.

There was a tweet I saw after this signing was announced that said that there are going to be at least 235 players making more than Walker this season, despite him having seven straight 2+ WAR seasons. Cashman was incredibly lucky to trade away Headley’s and Castro’s contracts before this market took shape.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Chance Adams doesn't seem ready for prime time.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I never liked him and have wanted to sell high for a while. I haven't hated a Yankee prospect like I do him since Manny Banuelos back when everyone loved him for a year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Shoulda protected Nestor *grumble grumble*

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I hate that they sent down Andujar. He's a major leaguer right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

...... gently caress

https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/977595401883746305

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Did anyone really think he would make it this season without an injury? He’s worse than Ellsbury. Sucks that there’s pretty much no 1B depth in the minors, either.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

Did anyone really think he would make it this season without an injury? He’s worse than Ellsbury. Sucks that there’s pretty much no 1B depth in the minors, either.

He's not even going to make it TO the season lol.

They should go Walker at 1B Andujar at 3B and Drury at 2B.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I blame myself.

STAC Goat posted:

The Yankee world is hyping Bird up so much this winter that I'm 100% sure he's going to get hurt 2 weeks into Spring Training.

He did make it past the 2 weeks and almost to Opening Day.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I hate that they sent down Andujar. He's a major leaguer right now.

No he isn't, he chases bad pitches.

ihatepants posted:

That's a giant exaggeration, and we don't even know if this is anything yet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

No he isn't, he chases bad pitches.

LOL and? Have you watched baseball recently? NTM that he had well over 800 OPS in both AA and AAA last season. He's clearly ready for the majors.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

That's a giant exaggeration, and we don't even know if this is anything yet.

How is it an exaggeration? He’s played 94 games since he was called up in August of 2015.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

LOL and? Have you watched baseball recently? NTM that he had well over 800 OPS in both AA and AAA last season. He's clearly ready for the majors.

And you think that MLB pitchers are going to throw as many meatballs over the plate? I haven't entirely poo poo on him, I've defended his defense, just he has more to work on and starting him in the minors is 100% justifiable from a baseball perspective.

ihatepants posted:

How is it an exaggeration? He’s played 94 games since he was called up in August of 2015.

He was out for all of 2016 on a shoulder injury, and then missed a good portion of last year after fouling the ball off his foot. Those are two incidents. Just a little early to be calling him Mr. Glass.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

And you think that MLB pitchers are going to throw as many meatballs over the plate? I haven't entirely poo poo on him, I've defended his defense, just he has more to work on and starting him in the minors is 100% justifiable from a baseball perspective.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about... He had 71k's in 480 AB's last season that is like.. fine...

For comparison, Drury had 103k's in 445 AB's, Tyler Wade had 75k's in 339 AB and Neil Walker had 77k's in 385 AB's. In closing Andujar had the lowest k rate by far of any yankee infielder other than Didi. lol

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 26, 2018

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'm pretending to like the Yankees to troll my coworker. I'm here to learn.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Scum

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

:getout:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

loving gently caress gently caress

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/978362136882831362

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Like I said, they shoulda given him a robot foot last year when they had the time.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bird is never gonna stay healthy and that's a bummer

but Severino, Judge, and Sanchez panning out kinda makes up for it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

We'll be lucky if he's back by the break.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about... He had 71k's in 480 AB's last season that is like.. fine...

For comparison, Drury had 103k's in 445 AB's, Tyler Wade had 75k's in 339 AB and Neil Walker had 77k's in 385 AB's. In closing Andujar had the lowest k rate by far of any yankee infielder other than Didi. lol

Plate discipline isn't K rate. Aaron Judge has incredible discipline and gets tons of strikeouts.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bird busting due to injuries is sad, but hey on the bright side there wont be a problem when Aaron Judge has to play first base because he is a giantman

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Plate discipline isn't K rate. Aaron Judge has incredible discipline and gets tons of strikeouts.

There is literally nothing in Andujar's track record that doesn't scream out that he's ready to succeed in the majors right now.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Yankees Opening day lineup:

1. Brett Gardner, LF
2. Aaron Judge, RF
3. Giancarlo Stanton, DH
4. Gary Sanchez, C
5. Aaron Hicks, CF
6. Didi Gregorius, SS
7. Brandon Drury, 3B
8. Neil Walker, 2B
9. Tyler Austin, 1B
SP - Luis Severino

I like this lineup and I am glad that they decided to put Judge, Stanton and Sanchez all in a row rather than trying to split them up with a lefty now that Bird is injured. I’m guessing that Austin and Wade will be platooning depending on righty/lefty starting pitcher matchups.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 28, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

jeez, how is Judge-Stanton-Sanchez a real lineup that MLB allowed to happen? thank god for the cheapness of the new Marlins ownership (same as the old!!)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

I’m guessing that Austin and Wade will be platooning depending on righty/lefty starting pitcher matchups.

I think I read there's going to be a Wade/Austin/Walker platoon thing where Walker will be the platoon partner with Austin at 1B and then they'll fill in 2B with Wade. Maybe Drury at 2B and Wade at 3B too?

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Carlosologist posted:

jeez, how is Judge-Stanton-Sanchez a real lineup that MLB allowed to happen? thank god for the cheapness of the new Marlins ownership (same as the old!!)

My hopes are so high right now.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I think I read there's going to be a Wade/Austin/Walker platoon thing where Walker will be the platoon partner with Austin at 1B and then they'll fill in 2B with Wade. Maybe Drury at 2B and Wade at 3B too?

If that's what they plan to do, I really like it. Really small sample size, but Austin has a 1.154 OPS against LHP. Wade also does much better against RHP.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

If that's what they plan to do, I really like it. Really small sample size, but Austin has a 1.154 OPS against LHP. Wade also does much better against RHP.

The Walker/Austin platoon works to both of their split advantages (Walker is a switch hitter but he's much better from the left side,) I think it's kind of the "obvious" way to go with it.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

There is literally nothing in Andujar's track record that doesn't scream out that he's ready to succeed in the majors right now.

29:71 BB:K ratio last year says otherwise. Unless you're willing to go on the record that he's Robbie Cano. He still has a good shot long term, just that there's nothing wrong with giving him more time in Scranton right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

29:71 BB:K ratio last year says otherwise. Unless you're willing to go on the record that he's Robbie Cano. He still has a good shot long term, just that there's nothing wrong with giving him more time in Scranton right now.

I didn't say there is anything wrong with him being in AAA I just said he's clearly ready for the majors and I don't see the urgency to give Wade or Drury all these AB's over him. I just showed you that he doesn't strike out alot. (or walk a lot)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Here we go boys! Let’s do the drat thing!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Looks like a righty is coming on for the Jays, Walker has moved over to 1B and Wade is in at 2B, so hey, there you go.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

He's gonna destroy the bullpen with early hooks like that heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

He's gonna destroy the bullpen with early hooks like that heh.

It’s opening day and Severino started ST late, didn’t he? 90 pitches is exactly where I would have pulled him. In comparison, the Phillies also just pulled Nola after 68 pitches with a 5-0 lead.

• Locked thread