Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cbsaustin/status/978639027451645952

It's a four hour miniseries about Hernan Cortes so THAT should be a fun week on twitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkBVlRiAHuU

Hell yeah more Drummer

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm not sure I can trust senior Spielbergo with anything after he decided to make ready player one of his apparent own free will.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

I'm not sure I can trust senior Spielbergo with anything after he decided to make ready player one of his apparent own free will.

I was hoping this movie was good just to piss off the nerds who derail every loving thread in every loving forum for pages and pages of increasing lame attempts to dunk on RP1

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Nickelodeon finally fired the pedo. No accusations though. Just probably a wise move on their part because eww.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/nickelodeon-dan-schneider-1202736791/

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

I was hoping this movie was good just to piss off the nerds who derail every loving thread in every loving forum for pages and pages of increasing lame attempts to dunk on RP1

The backlash to RP1 is a thousand times worse than the book.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

All of the reviews are saying that it's soulless but has good action sequences. Which is also what they said about Jurassic World, which loving sucked.

But enjoy your soulless 'memberberry manchild pacifier I guess?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

nate fisher posted:

I mean lets not say some crazy poo poo we can't take back, it's a really bad book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Mmmhmm, and it's composed of people who can't get enough Transformers shows and talk about Smurf movies for hours and hours but this is a step too far.

I think a lot of them hate it because it's a mirror.

Mulva posted:

I mean lets not say some crazy poo poo we can't take back, it's a really bad book.

There are way more really bad books than really good ones or even just okay ones but for some reason this one sends nerds into a blind rage :thunk:

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 27, 2018

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm deeply sorry that my questioning Spielburg's creative decisions bothers you so much.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I read Ready Player One via audiobook. I was traveling a lot at the time. You'd love who narrated it.

i also agree that goons care way too much. The book made a bunch of money. The movie probably will too. Meh idk.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Mmmhmm, and it's composed of people who can't get enough Transformers shows and talk about Smurf movies for hours and hours but this is a step too far.

There are way more really bad books than really good ones or even just okay ones but for some reason this one sends nerds into a blind rage :thunk:

Zoux, I'm sorry that you like RP1 and are taking the fact that people are dunking on the book personally. I guess this is how fans of Twilight felt when people were making GBS threads all over that a few years ago?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

I'm deeply sorry that my questioning Spielburg's creative decisions bothers you so much.

Oh yeah I'm mad as hell about a movie I'm not gonna see

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

...So like did you take their nerd rage posts as a challenge?

'cause congrats.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Reminder: Star Trek: Into Darkness has 86% on that loving Tomatometer and a 90% "audience score" and most people who even remember that movie tend to think it's a piece of poo poo. Rotten Tomatoes cannot—and should not—be used to settle arguments about a movie's quality.

lelandjs posted:

All of the reviews are saying that it's soulless but has good action sequences. Which is also what they said about Jurassic World, which loving sucked.

But enjoy your soulless 'memberberry manchild pacifier I guess?

Congratulations on proving nate fisher's point with an ad hominem attack that also settles nothing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The book was poorly written but had a fun concept and it was a super quick afternoon read. I'm going to enjoy seeing some of the concepts visualized.

Sometimes things don't have to be high art to enjoy some aspects of them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not an ad hominem. That's the tagline of the movie.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be a little more constructive re: RP1:

I think a lot of people are pissed off about the movie specifically because Spielberg directed it. This is the man who gave us Jaws, Back to the Future, Animaniacs, Close Encounters, ET, Roger Rabbit, Indiana Jones. He's a huge part of a lot of 30somethings childhoods. What a lot of people (including myself) want from him is another project that makes us feel the wonder and awe that we felt when we were kids. For a couple decades there, Spielberg was the absolute master of awe.

What we don't want is a masturbatory victory lap that's a brainless nostalgia celebration. We don't want "Hey, remember x thing?" We want another "x" thing.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 27, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's also the guy who churned out A.I. and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Also, shouldn't the guy who's responsible for 80's nostalgia be the best person to handle references to it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

lelandjs posted:

What a lot of people (including myself) want from him is another project that makes us feel the wonder and awe that we felt when we were kids. For a couple decades there, Spielberg was the absolute master of awe.

I thought Super 8 was a genuinely decent stab at that, it’s weird how forgotten that movie became.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Looks like he really kinda just gave up on good stuff around Y2K
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Spielberg_filmography

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

I thought Super 8 was a genuinely decent stab at that, it’s weird how forgotten that movie became.

I'm gonna have to rewatch Super 8 one of these days. I remember it being very close to what I wanted, but not quite (I think I was disappointed that the alien was actually malicious?). Stranger Things hits a similar mark.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

lelandjs posted:

To be a little more constructive re: RP1:

I think a lot of people are pissed off about the movie specifically because Spielberg directed it. This is the man who gave us Jaws, Back to the Future, Animaniacs, Close Encounters, ET, Roger Rabbit, Indiana Jones. He's a huge part of a lot of 30somethings childhoods. What a lot of people (including myself) want from him is another project that makes us feel the wonder and awe that we felt when we were kids. For a couple decades there, Spielberg was the absolute master of awe.

What we don't want is a masturbatory victory lap that's a brainless nostalgia celebration. We don't want "Hey, remember x thing?" We want another "x" thing.

With all due respect, it's not about what "we" want. It's about the story he wants to tell, and whether or not you want to hear him tell it. If you don't, that's fine and even understandable, but...look, I'm trying not to be contemptuous here, but you list off his projects with such reverence that implies a respect for his talent, an understanding that he seems to know what he's doing. Yet it never occurs to you that this dude, in the winter of his life, might have a reason for wanting to spend three years on this project?

On top of that, I'm not going to pretend he's never made a bad movie (Hook, Crystal Skull, how's it going?). But he's proven, often, that he's still got The Stuff that made all those movies and shows you listed off special, even if his voice has matured quite a bit since then. Yet for all the respect you afford the mind behind those classics, it doesn't occur to you that he might know what he's doing here?

I'm not saying you have to like the movie or even like that it exists; I like the book, but I fully acknowledge that it's all surface-level charm written by a one-trick douchebag creep. But if you're going to carry on about it like this instead of shrug it off, then I'm pretty sure that whatever's going on doesn’t have poo poo to do with Spielberg.

EDIT:

Iron Crowned posted:

Looks like he really kinda just gave up on good stuff around Y2K
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Spielberg_filmography

Really? Because of the movies he's directed, I'm seeing only one outright bad one in Crystal Skull. A lot of people will poo poo on AI (I didn't much care for it), but it's got a very passionate following that can make a strong case for its existence. And The Terminal is way too sentimental (and maybe even problematic) for many, but I think it was a great stab at a post 9/11 Frank Capra film.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 27, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Huge slam on Hook outta nowhere

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Croatoan posted:

Nickelodeon finally fired the pedo. No accusations though. Just probably a wise move on their part because eww.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/nickelodeon-dan-schneider-1202736791/

I remember the TV Tropes pages for all the Dan Schneider shows used to be the creepiest things on the site (granted, that was circa 2010 so maybe they've improved since then, though I doubt it, because it's TV Tropes).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 27, 2018

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Huge slam on Hook outta nowhere

Look, SOMEBODY'S gonna bring up Hook. You know it. I know it. Hell, even Spielberg reportedly cried in his limp after the premiere because he thought/knew he hosed it up. Personally, I don't remember enough about the movie to agree or disagree, but we might as well get it out of the way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I liked The Terminal enough, but War of the Worlds was an abomination. Spielberg isn’t my favorite director by a long way, but that’s the only film of his that should’ve been throw straight to the garbage pile for me.

E: I hate Hook, but for purely selfish reasons.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Remember when John Landis killed Vic Morrow and those two kids and basically bought his way out of any jail time?

Anyway, I gotta watch Super 8. I tried once but checked out at the train derailment scene which I think it like the first 15 minutes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

AI is good

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I didn't know anyone hated Hook.

Croatoan posted:

I read Ready Player One via audiobook. I was traveling a lot at the time. You'd love who narrated it.

I had to shut it off after a few chapters because it oscillated between putting me to sleep and making my eyes roll so hard my retinas threatened to detach (neither are great while driving), but honestly it's pretty fitting that he narrates it and gets to reference himself being president or whatever.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

With all due respect, it's not about what "we" want. [snipped for length]

So I'm sure Spielberg has his reasons for making RP1. It's been a while since he had a big blockbuster (Crystal Skull), and RP1, on the surface, seems like it's got potential to be one. So there's that, and it's probably a big reason.

Here's the thing. Prior to RP1, Spielberg was working on another great sci-fi epic. One that mostly took place in space and featured plot elements based on cutting-edge theories with plenty of potential visual splendor. He pitched ideas and concepts with an actual theoretical physicist, and then hired a screenwriter with a talent for tackling heady concepts and making them accessible to put it all together. It could have been a fantastic sci-fi masterpiece that would perfectly confirm his place as one of the masters of the genre.

And then he decided to not make it. I can't imagine why. Maybe he thought it was too risky. Maybe he wanted to make something a bit "safer", which is what he's been doing for the past decade or so. That would track logically with the sci-fi film he made instead.

The aforementioned screenwriter, knowing that the movie had a ton of potential, gave it to his bother, who did a not-insignificant rewrite, partially in response to the criticisms of his previous films (most specifically their lack of emotion). The rewritten script and final film were... pretty good, but I really, really, really want to see Spielberg's Interstellar.

Not Spielberg's nostalgia-fueled cash grab attempt based on a mediocre-to-terrible book.

Is this a fair reason to hate RP1? Probably not, no. And it's not the only reason I don't like it. But there it is.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 27, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hook is an excellent film.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have to fly
Have to fight
Have to crow
Have to save Maggie
Have to save Jack
Hook is back

loving chills. It has some incredibly shot scenes. Like when Hook kidnaps the kids from the house.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lelandjs posted:

So I'm sure Spielberg has his reasons for making RP1. It's been a while since he had a big blockbuster (Crystal Skull), and RP1, on the surface, seems like it's got potential to be one. So there's that, and it's probably a big reason.

Here's the thing. Prior to RP1, Spielberg was working on another great sci-fi epic. One that mostly took place in space and featured plot elements based on cutting-edge theories with plenty of potential visual splendor. He pitched ideas and concepts with an actual theoretical physicist, and then hired a screenwriter with a talent for tackling heady concepts and making them accessible to put it all together. It could have been a fantastic sci-fi masterpiece that would perfectly confirm his place as one of the masters of the genre.

And then he decided to not make it. I can't imagine why. Maybe he thought it was too risky. Maybe he wanted to make something a bit "safer", which is what he's been doing for the past decade or so. That would track logically with the sci-fi film he made instead.

This ... this isn't true at all. Spielberg began developing Interstellar in its very earliest stages with Jonathan Nolan, yes, but the reason he didn't make the movie is that he moved DreamWorks from Paramount to Disney, and as Paramount owned the rights to develop Interstellar he couldn't work on the movie anymore. When he left the project it was still just a story outline.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

AI is good

AI is good until the last act. I can see where he was going with it, but something about the execution of it just didn't land.

Don't look at his EP credits. I know executive producer doesn't necessarily mean much real involvement with a project, but there are transformers movies on that list!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timby posted:

This ... this isn't true at all. Spielberg began developing Interstellar in its very earliest stages with Jonathan Nolan, yes, but the reason he didn't make the movie is that he moved DreamWorks from Paramount to Disney, and as Paramount owned the rights to develop Interstellar he couldn't work on the movie anymore. When he left the project it was still just a story outline.

The DreamWorks/Paramount split happened in October ‘08, the Interstellar draft I’m referring to is from March ‘08. But you're probably not wrong that the major reason for him not making it is because of the rights (he could have tried to buy them back, but I can't imagine Paramount would have let them go for cheap). I didn't realize that before, and I guess it makes me feel a little better about the RP1 movie. The book is still garbage though.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 27, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bull3964 posted:

AI is good until the last act. I can see where he was going with it, but something about the execution of it just didn't land.

I still remember a review of that movie, "Spielberg got his ending, the human race is touched. And Stanley Kubrick got his ending, the human race is dead."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The current ending of AI was the same as in Kubrick's version. Spielberg's touch made it seem like a schmaltzy happy ending and obscured the bleak nature of what was actually happening.

My biggest issues with AI are tonal in nature. There's so much great stuff in there, but it all feels executed wrong since Spielberg was in between two significantly different periods in his career, thus the film feels like it's half Hook and half Minority Report and it just doesn't work. I would've loved the film to be made at pretty much any other point in Spielberg's career.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Strike Back has just been renewed for season 7 :toot:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

feedmyleg posted:

The current ending of AI was the same as in Kubrick's version. Spielberg's touch made it seem like a schmaltzy happy ending and obscured the bleak nature of what was actually happening.

My biggest issues with AI are tonal in nature. There's so much great stuff in there, but it all feels executed wrong since Spielberg was in between two significantly different periods in his career, thus the film feels like it's half Hook and half Minority Report and it just doesn't work. I would've loved the film to be made at pretty much any other point in Spielberg's career.

You couldn't have nailed it better. I'd have loved to watch Kubrick's A.I. Hell I'm still pissed off that his last movie was Eyes Wide Shut. I've tried to watch that drat thing 3 times and check out super hard after like 30 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Eyes Wide Shut is amazing, though.