Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Fedule posted:

I don't know what your process for game audio is but something is wrong with it. It's barely noticeable most of the time but it's distorted the hell out of the BGM in the room with the cassette tape. I have no idea what would cause that.

Are you sure? To be safe I recorded some footage of the PC version. Recorded via completely different means.It sounds pretty much the same to me
The first bit of footage is from the test video (PS4 version) and after the hard cut it's the PC version.

Can anyone else hear anything off about the game audio? Because to me it just sounds how the game sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Are you sure? To be safe I recorded some footage of the PC version. Recorded via completely different means.It sounds pretty much the same to me
The first bit of footage is from the test video (PS4 version) and after the hard cut it's the PC version.

Can anyone else hear anything off about the game audio? Because to me it just sounds how the game sounds.

The PC cut sounds fine to me. The problem seems to only be in the PS4 recording.

Here's the OST version.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Fedule posted:

The PC cut sounds fine to me. The problem seems to only be in the PS4 recording.

Here's the OST version.

Sorry I'm not hearing it. What is it exactly that you think sounds distorted about it? Because I'm thinking we both use different definitions of the word (though, I'm not hearing anything that's different in general aside from the difference in volume). Is there clipping I'm not hearing? A buzz or a hum? Is it the pitch somehow?

If there's a problem I'd love to fix it but it's hard to do that when I don't even know what's wrong.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
It's a significantly lower pitch on your PS4 recording for sure. Doesn't look like a framerate issue though, so I'm not sure what could be causing it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

All right. Thanks to folks here and on the the Discord I know something is off.

Since I have to redo the entire video anyway I'd be interested if there's anything else about the video that needs changing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't do the whole "do one room blazing fast, then dial it back" personally. It'd work better in terms of audience understanding if you gradually added speed techniques to your portfolio as the LP progressed. So, like, do the first level using only basic strats, in the second discover you can jump on exiting a dash block, in the third get dash->jump on land, in the fourth get vertical dash->walljump, etc.

You'll have plenty of time to show off, especially if you intend to do the B- and C-sides, so there's no need to go full-bore speed-mode right out the gate.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't remember if I ever sandcastled this or not, but either way I'm looking to go live next week so gently caress me up fam.

Final Fantasy Type-0, Part 1

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I wouldn't do the whole "do one room blazing fast, then dial it back" personally. It'd work better in terms of audience understanding if you gradually added speed techniques to your portfolio as the LP progressed. So, like, do the first level using only basic strats, in the second discover you can jump on exiting a dash block, in the third get dash->jump on land, in the fourth get vertical dash->walljump, etc.

You'll have plenty of time to show off, especially if you intend to do the B- and C-sides, so there's no need to go full-bore speed-mode right out the gate.
And if you really want to show off, make "this is me rocking the gently caress out of every single level" into bonus content.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I mean, it depends on how you want to present the game. I sometimes really enjoy watching LPs of people just busting through games and absolutely crushing the AI. I suppose if you wanted to show off how the game is intended to play, you wouldn't want to grind it to dust beneath your feet on your first run through--but then you have to do multiple run throughs...

A conundrum...

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

It's not so much that I wanna show off my sick skillz but what you can do in the game. I already recorded yesterday. What I did was to play through the level more or less normally and afterwards I recorded a speedrun of the level. I'll likely only do this for the first level.

From the second chapter onwards I will continue as originally intended. Which was to play through the game but start explaining nuances of mechanics. In this case climbing.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
Choose your own Adventure: South Park The Fractured But Whole

The Story
South Park The Fractured But Whole (FBW) follows a day after the events of the Stick of Truth, in which we followed the new kid through the made up realm of Ancient Zaron in a turn based, Lord of the Rings style RPG game which followed The New Kid AKA Douchbag, Buttlord, etc as we retrieved the Stick from the forces of evil.

In this game, our heroes have hung up their swords and bows and donned on Super Hero persona's and are attempting to become famous by kick starting their own super hero franchise. In FBW we help the Coon and Friends as they try to find a missing cat Scrambles to get their series off the ground. Along the way we class with other heroes, ninjas, and of course crab people.

The LP
What makes this LP different from the others is that I am putting all of the decisions (that can be made) on you guys. I will be doing polls before I record each episode in which you will decide what you want to see (majority vote will be the winner)
For example: one of the very first choices is our first hero class:
Blaster: Ranged DPS
Brutalist: Melee Tank
Speedster: Melee DPS
Netherborn: Ranged DPS (This is from the new DLC so I might exclude it)

Schedule
I will probably be doing an episode once a week to provide ample time for voting.

I did some test footage here to show off some gameplay

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, so first of all, I suggest perhaps not making EVERY POSSIBLE CHOICE a thread vote. It really depends on the situation. But it doesn't seem wise to cut off a video 5 minutes after it starts because some sort of fake choice comes up.

And secondly, if I remember the LP someone did of the first game correctly, there were one or two short bits where the LPer self-censored and cut those bits out because they were simply too inappropriate even for South Park. I suggest you put NSFW in your thread title, and if you come along any of those parts, use your best judgement, or if you aren't sure, contact one of the LP mods to ask if something is okay or not. Don't go censoring the whole game, then there wouldn't be any point in LP'ing it, but if you run into any 'holy poo poo did they really do that' moments, maybe think twice.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Ironically I think the censored version of the South Park games makes them better - the only parts that were censored were in ludicrously poor taste and were unfunny and unfun to play by all accounts. Excising them made the game better.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Carbon dioxide posted:

Okay, so first of all, I suggest perhaps not making EVERY POSSIBLE CHOICE a thread vote. It really depends on the situation. But it doesn't seem wise to cut off a video 5 minutes after it starts because some sort of fake choice comes up.

And secondly, if I remember the LP someone did of the first game correctly, there were one or two short bits where the LPer self-censored and cut those bits out because they were simply too inappropriate even for South Park. I suggest you put NSFW in your thread title, and if you come along any of those parts, use your best judgement, or if you aren't sure, contact one of the LP mods to ask if something is okay or not. Don't go censoring the whole game, then there wouldn't be any point in LP'ing it, but if you run into any 'holy poo poo did they really do that' moments, maybe think twice.

Thank you for the input. As for the choices I was planning on playing ahead of time to see what choices there will be and then make a post about votes. Then record the episode. Which is why I was saying about an episode once a week. I will most def put a nsfw title. There is only one part of the game I am iffy about and that is there is a strip club scene with nudity in it

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've got a pitch here for a Legacy of Dragonholt Let's Play. I kind of threw this together today so there's still a few things I'll have to actually do for prep, like scan the map and some of the other supporting material. I admit my approach is going to result in a lot of typing on my part, but honestly that's something I'm sort of looking forward to over having to collect a bunch of images from a game (which has also become impractical due to recent health issues). Writing a party of people readers made up for me was my favourite part of my NWN2: Storm of Zehir and Sims: Medieval Let's Plays, and this is sort of a rarefied version of that. Any feedback welcome, even if it all checks out it'll probably be at least a little while before I go and post it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm working on a VLP project right now and I'm wondering if I shot myself in the foot from the get go by playing without subtitles on? I didn't even think about it because I always prefer to play without them, but I just realized that it might be frowned upon for an LP because I'm potentially limiting my audience.

Is this a big enough deal that I should think about going back through and recording with subtitles on or am I way overthinking this?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

DrNutt posted:

Is this a big enough deal that I should think about going back through and recording with subtitles on
Yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

DrNutt posted:

I'm working on a VLP project right now and I'm wondering if I shot myself in the foot from the get go by playing without subtitles on? I didn't even think about it because I always prefer to play without them, but I just realized that it might be frowned upon for an LP because I'm potentially limiting my audience.

Is this a big enough deal that I should think about going back through and recording with subtitles on or am I way overthinking this?

How far are you into the game? If you think it's reasonable to go back start over, then maybe you should. But by and large I don't think you should worry about that too much. The people who complain about talking over cutscenes with any degree of earnesty are few and far between, I find.

The simplest alternative though is to offer two versions of the video to your viewers, one with your voice commentary, and another that's just the gameplay footage unaltered and just call one version COMM and the other NO COMM or whatnot so that people who want to hear what is going on without you talking over it can do so if they choose.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The nice thing about subtitles is that you can try to read them while people talk over them.

I mean, emphasize try, because it's hard to listen to listen and read at the same time, but it's a lot easier than trying to listen to two distinct conversations at the same time.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If you don't wanna re-record, you can add the subtitles yourself with your program of choice, or with YouTube's closed captioning.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My plan was to not talk over cutscene dialogue and provide commentary during gameplay/exploration segments that would otherwise get boring without commentary or discussion. Rerecording wouldn't be the biggest deal breaker (it's Tomb Raider '13, not an incredibly long game) but I'm doing a 100% long play without using a guide for collectibles, so I'd rather just work with what I've got. I think I'll put together a few clips and post them here to see how they work/get some criticism.

Thanks for the feedback.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

DrNutt posted:

My plan was to not talk over cutscene dialogue and provide commentary during gameplay/exploration segments that would otherwise get boring without commentary or discussion. Rerecording wouldn't be the biggest deal breaker (it's Tomb Raider '13, not an incredibly long game) but I'm doing a 100% long play without using a guide for collectibles, so I'd rather just work with what I've got. I think I'll put together a few clips and post them here to see how they work/get some criticism.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tomb Raider '13's subtitles have the opposite of technical sophistication; you could probably recreate them accurately in Aegisub in about half the time it would take you to rerecord footage.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also, having subtitles isn't just so you can talk over cutscenes - some of the people watching may care about the story and be hard of hearing, so subtitles will help expand the audience.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BioEnchanted posted:

Also, having subtitles isn't just so you can talk over cutscenes - some of the people watching may care about the story and be hard of hearing, so subtitles will help expand the audience.

Yeah, that was my initial reason for concern in this case. I will probably not go back and rerecord for this one but I will most likely use subtitles for any future LPs for this reason.

e: I'll be using YouTube so I can always test out their captioning options and see how that goes too.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm curious, what is the general consensus here on talking during subtitled cutscenes? I always viewed it as okay, especially if the game is old and/or really well-known and popular. 'Cause chances are your viewers know the entire story anyway. Though I know I'd personally tone it down on a game that was just released recently.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TheLoneStar posted:

I'm curious, what is the general consensus here on talking during subtitled cutscenes? I always viewed it as okay, especially if the game is old and/or really well-known and popular. 'Cause chances are your viewers know the entire story anyway. Though I know I'd personally tone it down on a game that was just released recently.

Some people aren't bothered, some people despise it. I talk over subtitles in nearly all of my LPs, but then I also tend to include no commentary videos as well.

I suppose it depends on the game and your style. If you're doing a more serious LP, I feel it'd bother people more. If you're doing a pisstake, people are going to be a lot less bothered.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I just always like to hammer home the point that there's no hard and fast rule. I'm doing Killzone Shadow Fall atm, which I feel is still a pretty darn recent game, and my cocommentators and I have talked constantly over EVERY cutscene so far and the thread hasn't complained yet.

That said, random YouTube commentators have complained. They always complain.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Beware the Hun in the Sun - An IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad LP

Let's Play Il-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban, Bodenplatte, and more!

That doesn't seem to reassuring...
-----------------------------------------
Initially released in late 2014, Il-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad saw the return of one of the most beloved flight sim franchises of all time. Coming off of the poorly received Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover, criticized for its lack of variety, critical bugs and poor performance, Il-2:BoS was met with a lot of apprehension from fans, and some, like myself, still felt let down thanks in part to a missing career mode and mission/scenario creation tool. 3.5 years later, and the game has received multiple major updates, as well as numerous smaller ones, adding new functionality, planes, missions, and, even more importantly, a proper campaign mode making it feel a lot more like its predecessor from 2001.

With that said, the number of pieces of DLC this game is accruing can be worrisome for those who wish to dive into this game head first, and even those who want to wait for one of several sales that occur throughout the year. And that's not even getting into the scripted campaigns, made before the release of the career mode, and premium aircraft, which are sold separately from anything else. As of writing this intro, the next DLC, Battle of Bodenplatte, is in the works, with a potential Pacific update in the works.

So why do you want to show this off, what does this have to do with me, and how can I participate?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, you may remember an LP I started a number of years ago, using Il-2 Sturmovik: 1946, with mods. I've always wanted to show off more flight sim fun, but without a career mode I didn't feel like I could do anything but show some multiplayer action, rather than something that people could create a narrative with, and see where it goes. That and good flight sim games should get more love.

That said, thread participation will involve decisions regarding our supported faction, background, plane/squadron we will choose to join, and a few other things. Sadly, I don't know how to modify names or stats, so we'll just have to live with what we got.

How is this going to work?
--------------------------
I'll be flying within a designated unit, continuing the proud tradition of the PS3 + KB/M setup I've always had. Difficulty will be Medium, with a heavy density of action. Difficulty options will be as seen below, as well as the reasons for my choices:

Reasons for options are:

1. No Autopilot can be super tedious, and I only use it for longer flights until radio chatter comes on or we are nearing obj, autopilot is not used to fly home.

2. Warming engine is just boring.

3. Engine/radiator management is just for the present so I dont wreck my engine 20 mins into each mission. Im sure radiator wouldnt be a huge issue, but engine management after a huge hiatus is not good.

4. Spectators/external views cause why not? No external views are used until dead or landed.

5. Navigation Markers on because I dont have time to study maps for weeks on end to get everything right, and the map doesnt even work anyways!

I will be playing at the slowest possible campaign speed. The goal? Survive World War 2.

Everything's out to kill you
-------------------------------------

https://i.imgur.com/OlwIZVf.gifv

Easy targets? Not quite!

Gun Runs are Fun!
https://i.imgur.com/IfzFQV8.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/35nZbmb.gifv

Don't get cocky

https://i.imgur.com/ZYCBohu.gifv

Holy poo poo piiiiissss (The battle damage near my tail was caused by the AA gun)

Not-an-edit:

I've discovered that the game doesn't save a flight record, hence the lack of footage or gifs for the war diary update. In the future, footage and images will be included.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150609

Thoughts?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

I just always like to hammer home the point that there's no hard and fast rule. I'm doing Killzone Shadow Fall atm, which I feel is still a pretty darn recent game, and my cocommentators and I have talked constantly over EVERY cutscene so far and the thread hasn't complained yet.

I say, if you care enough as an LPer, going with ThornBrain's solution is the best: have two versions for each video, one with full commentary, and one with the same commentary except during cutscenes it's muted. Give people a choice and there's a lot less to complain about.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

:stare: Is that game that pretty all the time or are you jazzin' it up with mods? Good lord.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I say, if you care enough as an LPer, going with ThornBrain's solution is the best: have two versions for each video, one with full commentary, and one with the same commentary except during cutscenes it's muted. Give people a choice and there's a lot less to complain about.

:shrug: Seems kind of silly to go through that much effort. If it's a game where the story and cutscenes are important, seems like the best course of action is to be stop talking for two seconds and not have your watchers deal with the cacophony of multiple sets of voices going on. If the game's story is rubbish and you're mocking it, then it seems like all bets are off. I just don't see what is to be gained by continuing to talk over cutscenes as your audience is ostensibly watching for both the game itself and your commentary.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DrNutt posted:

:stare: Is that game that pretty all the time or are you jazzin' it up with mods? Good lord.

That's max settings, I believe.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

I had a random YouTube commentator complain (in an alarmingly high number of videos) that I talk in videos. In Let's Play videos.
I muted the dickwad

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

https://strawpoll.com/7k9c4874

Not an interest check, figured I'd grab some votes here while I could, to pick which side I will be playing as.

And with no responses for anything technical or in my writing I assume its all good on that end.

Edit: Poll closed - Russians win, LP will start sometime this or next week

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 29, 2018

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Voted Russia, give 'em hell Comrade. Everything else checked out to me, you're clear to fly.

I'll also make one last check on my Legacy of Dragonholt LP because otherwise I'm just about ready to start that one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jobbo_Fett posted:

https://strawpoll.com/7k9c4874

Not an interest check, figured I'd grab some votes here while I could, to pick which side I will be playing as.

And with no responses for anything technical or in my writing I assume its all good on that end.

Kill all Nazis and show off that pretty game please!

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Alexeythegreat posted:

I had a random YouTube commentator complain (in an alarmingly high number of videos) that I talk in videos. In Let's Play videos.
I muted the dickwad

I had a random Youtube person call me an "elitist prick" in my profile discussion page. On Christmas Eve.

Gotta love youtube comments.

edit:

TheLoneStar posted:

I'd say this depends on how you want to present the game. Personally I try to stay quiet during cutscenes, but on the other hand I don't really mind it when people talk over them unless it's a plot heavy game I'm interested in. Then it's just a distraction because it's hard to concentrate on two separate things. I'm sure the majority doesn't mind either way though.

Wugga fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 29, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Anyone else been having problems posting larger updates these last couple of days? I get a connection timeout every time my post goes past a certain length, and I had to divide my last update in two to get around it (and even then it took a few attempts).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Kanfy posted:

Anyone else been having problems posting larger updates these last couple of days? I get a connection timeout every time my post goes past a certain length, and I had to divide my last update in two to get around it (and even then it took a few attempts).

Yeah, the Super-League thread, which has a long update every day, has been required to split updates in two for things to work for a few days now. They couldn't even edit the OP anymore, which had apparently also gotten too long for it to take. Something's hosed.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think DoubleNegative was having trouble posting an update in his Warcraft III LP, and had to resort to the test poster to get it to work, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Yeah, I've run into similar issues, and eventually wound up using the test poster for the update. I think it's some half baked security thing on Cloudflare's end. It sees a long post and assumes some sort of fuckery is my best guess.