Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Bardeh posted:

It's normal for kids to get sick constantly when they start school, right? This entire winter has been absolutely horrible for our entire household. My son catches something, brings it home, we all get sick, get maybe a little bit better, then he gets ill again, the cycle repeats. None of us have felt 100% for what feels like months at this point.

We just moved back to my home country after spending the first 5 years of his life in my wife's on the other side of the world, so maybe it's just that he hasn't got any immunity to the different bugs over here, but I don't know if I should be worried or not.

my wife is a 2nd grade teacher and I can confirm that for our household this cycle has never actually ended

sometimes I envy my dog as she is the only one that is spared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It was like that when our kids started daycare. Last year was also kinda miserable but I think it's gotten better.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Anyone have any meal suggestions for an 11 month old with only 2 bottom teeth and no interest in pureed baby food (with the exception of sweet potatoes and bananas)?

I've been doing scrambled eggs and spinach for breakfast, hummus and sweet potato baby food on mum-mums for lunch, and veggie pasta with ricotta mixed with a little tomato sauce for dinner. I always offer boiled carrots/green beans and peas, but she won't eat them. We keep trying avocado, squash, bananas, peaches, raspberries, and yogurt and no interest there either. Should I just keep doing what I'm doing and not worry about it or are there some other things I could try? Some stuff I'm just not sure about since she doesn't have teeth.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We started our kid on whatever we were eating when he was six months old. He didn't get teeth until past 9 months (they were prepared appropriately-- slicing grapes, etc.)
Their gums are pretty hard and good at mashing things up!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

Anyone have any meal suggestions for an 11 month old with only 2 bottom teeth and no interest in pureed baby food (with the exception of sweet potatoes and bananas)?

I've been doing scrambled eggs and spinach for breakfast, hummus and sweet potato baby food on mum-mums for lunch, and veggie pasta with ricotta mixed with a little tomato sauce for dinner. I always offer boiled carrots/green beans and peas, but she won't eat them. We keep trying avocado, squash, bananas, peaches, raspberries, and yogurt and no interest there either. Should I just keep doing what I'm doing and not worry about it or are there some other things I could try? Some stuff I'm just not sure about since she doesn't have teeth.

Try mixing banana into or on whatever else you're offering, maybe you can trick them into getting a taste for other flavors.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

Some kids are sensitive to textures and hate purees. Try something soft that she can gum on. As long as you're keeping an eye on her when she eats, bite-sized foods are good. At this age, solids are more for getting used to the mechanics of eating than the main source of nutrients.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Lentils

if they'll eat lentil they'll eat anything

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mine's at around 8 months and will only eat what she can hold or manipulate. Feeding her purees and stuff is out of the question, but we've gotten around it by freezing purees into popsicle kinds of things that she can pick up and suck on.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

My youngest is in the same boat and only has two bottom of teeth. She only would do purees for two weeks. I just cut everything tiny and let her go to town. Steak and cheese were her favorites around 7 months. I usually peel a whole apple and let her gnaw on that or some broccoli. It's pretty refreshing because I don't think I have ever seen my son eat and half suspect he is using photosynthesis as a means of energy conversion.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
8 months and 2 teeth here too. Mostly he's doing vegetables steamed until squishy. Love carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, as well as raw banana and avocado. Lentils work (just cook them mushy) but he wants to hold the spoon which is messy as hell. I agree with Flashy in that basically anything that he can handle and manipulate himself is a lot easier to get him to eat. On the whole, I agree with mixing in something your kid likes with something unfamiliar. A mixed set of veggie cubes goes over pretty well as long as he knows a couple he'll tear through it.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

sheri posted:

We started our kid on whatever we were eating when he was six months old. He didn't get teeth until past 9 months (they were prepared appropriately-- slicing grapes, etc.)
Their gums are pretty hard and good at mashing things up!

This. She was chowing down on steak and lamb chops from the get go. Sometimes I will pre-chew really tough stuff for her (think beef flank, etc) but by and large she handles things just fine. Last week she devoured roast pork belly, crackling and all.

Hamburger patties, meatballs, pikelets, omelettes, lasagna, noodles, wontons, dumplings are all faves.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Having trouble at 4.5 months with naps. If he doesn’t take them he is crabby but when he does he only usually naps for about a half an hour at most. So he still gets crabby.

Family says let him cry it out and force a nap consistently but everything I read says that crying it out is bad.

Any advice?

We have tried white noise, cosleeping, rocking him to sleep, and we’re up to our necks in fatigue.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Counterpoint, I’ve read a bunch of stuff that encourages crying it out as a method of reinforcing the routine.

All I can say is pick a routine that you’re comfortable with and works most of the time and stick to it. This phase will pass and be replaced by some new fresh hell.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Cry it out is hosed up imo

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

sebzilla posted:

So is reinforcing every noise getting immediate attention.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The one parent we know that was adamantly against cry it out coincedentally has a six month old with a very erratic sleep schedule and mom has barely gotten more than an hour or so of sleep at a time since he was born.

Three of my cousins were also initially against it until they actually tried it consistently, and it no longer is a two hour song and dance to get their kid to sleep.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

virinvictus posted:

Having trouble at 4.5 months with naps. If he doesn’t take them he is crabby but when he does he only usually naps for about a half an hour at most. So he still gets crabby.

Family says let him cry it out and force a nap consistently but everything I read says that crying it out is bad.

Any advice?

We have tried white noise, cosleeping, rocking him to sleep, and we’re up to our necks in fatigue.

Your 4.5 month old naps for 1.5 hours in a row??

Dang, that's amazing!

How long is he up between naps? It could be you are keeping him up too long before trying to get him to nap and then missing the window where it's easier to get him to sleep.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

sheri posted:

Your 4.5 month old naps for 1.5 hours in a row??

Dang, that's amazing!

How long is he up between naps? It could be you are keeping him up too long before trying to get him to nap and then missing the window where it's easier to get him to sleep.

Half an hour. I’m aiming for the 1.5 hour nap :nsallears:

Usually he wakes up 5 or 6 with the wife, she wakes me up for 7:30, she leaves for work, I feed him a bottle at 9, and try to put him down for a nap.

He is visibly tired: rubbing his eyes, yawning, getting mad over anything. However, the minute his eyes start to close, he jolts himself awake, swings his arms around in the air, and cries immediately when he realizes he is going down for the count.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

That's how mine was too. He started consolidating his naps into longer stretches at about 9 months. Up until that point it was 20-40 minute naps.

That's not much help but it will get better with time. We just held ours a lot while he napped. Or we'd hold or rock him for a good 5-10 min after he was asleep asleep and then put him down slowly and do the hand on chest thing to help him settle if he startled, etc.

Their sleep patterns change a lot at 4 months,which is why nthis is happening...

"As a newborn, your baby falls almost immediately into deep sleep. Now, your baby’s brain is maturing and his sleep is becoming more adult-like. Instead of falling quickly into deep sleep, a four month old moves more slowly through the stages of sleep, from drowsy, to light sleep, then to deep sleep. While you can rock your two month old to sleep in 15 minutes, and put him down in his crib without any problems, if you try rocking your four month old to sleep he will likely startle awake as soon as you put him down in his crib. This is because he was still in the light stages of sleep when you tried to put him down. Now there is no more “tricking” your baby into sleep. If you want to continue to rock your baby to sleep, it can take close to 45-minutes before he finally falls into deep sleep allowing you to put him down without startling him awake."

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

sebzilla posted:

People are going to have different opinions on this regardless. We started this method at 6 months because we were at our wits end. We would spend hours rocking our kid to sleep, even in the wee hours of the morning. It was a living nightmare, with neither of us getting any sleep, White noise machine, vibrating mat, soothers, etc. We used them all "because they worked the night before!"

It took our kid 2 nights to work it out. He never once cried in terror or pain, he moaned/light cried in confusion, until he worked out that he can put himself to sleep. I never once thought I was causing pain or injury to my child. Our kid has slept from 6 months to now (1 year tomorrow) all night every night, even with teeth coming in/colds/etc. He will wake up in the night, cry for a minute or two, roll back over and go to sleep.

DaStampede posted:

Exactly.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

virinvictus posted:

However, the minute his eyes start to close, he jolts himself awake, swings his arms around in the air, and cries immediately when he realizes he is going down for the count.

Have you tried sleep sacks with the little cactus arms, or a Merlin Suit? I can't remember what age they grow out of the Merlin Suit but it's great for kids who scare themselves awake through disorientation as they nod off.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

virinvictus posted:

He is visibly tired: rubbing his eyes, yawning, getting mad over anything. However, the minute his eyes start to close, he jolts himself awake, swings his arms around in the air, and cries immediately when he realizes he is going down for the count.

Sounds like my daughter. We don't like cry it out either, honestly at that age they aren't old enough to be manipulative or whatever and time flies so quickly anyway.

I found reading The No Cry Nap Solution helped in terms of understanding what's happening with their brains re: sleep. We were missing the window a lot. A strict routine doesn't work for us, every day is a little different so we adjust to her rather than insisting on an exact nap time. This makes traveling/going out a lot easier, she doesn't get unsettled if things are different from home. I found that she naturally settles to similar nap times anyway.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DaStampede posted:

Luckily you do not have to choose between those two harmful (for baby or parent) extremes. :shrug:

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Honestly at 4.5 months I was wearing him for all his naps and he slept for 2-3 hours at a time that way. We did sleep train at 5ish months with CIO and it was super easy (cried a total of 5 minutes) and started sleeping and napping independently after that. We've had to retrain a bunch of times since, and it gets harder and harder as they get older and are more stubborn/energetic. The longest he cried was an hour and a half. But once you get through that one hard night, everyone sleeps better and we are all happier for it.

Figuring out optimal awake time can be tricky since it changes constantly. For a while my kid was showing all the sleepiness signs at 2 hours awake but it was a trick and if you put him down then he would only sleep 30 minutes. Stretched him until 3 hours and got good naps. But if you put them down too late they're overtired and adrenaline kicks in and they also don't nap well. So try tweaking the awake time - put him down earlier or later by 15 minutes and see if it helps.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Unless you can come up with some data saying that cry it out is harmful you probably shouldn't go around saying that it is.

We did it a little bit and our kid is happy and healthy and loves us and sleeps fine at night. At this point I feel it's easier to go down and give him a quick comfort if he wakes up and seems to have trouble getting to sleep but earlier that just made him more upset and cry longer. The thing is that most kids aren't going to be inconsolably crying for weeks and weeks while you the evil parent sit in the other room and laugh, it often just takes them a day or two to figure out they can relax and put themselves to sleep.

If you don't like it or something else works for you that's fine. Sometimes those other methods don't work well for other people.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Levitate posted:

The thing is that most kids aren't going to be inconsolably crying for weeks and weeks while you the evil parent sit in the other room and laugh, it often just takes them a day or two to figure out they can relax and put themselves to sleep.

If you don't like it or something else works for you that's fine. Sometimes those other methods don't work well for other people.

Some kids sleep pretty easily under any circumstances. For these kids, almost any method of sleep training will work.
Many kids just need some consistency, and cry-it-out will work for most of those kids.
Some kids have a very hard time sleeping, but cry-it-out will work for some of those kids.

How do you know which you have? Good question! I never tried cry-it-out with my older son because whenever he cried for long enough he'd throw up, but holding him until he fell asleep didn't make it impossible for him to sleep alone as a toddler, contrary to all the "if you do a thing at 9 months you'll be doing it at 3 years too" rumors. Presumably there are kids for whom if you rock them to sleep at 9 months old you have to rock them at 3 years old too, but probably about as many as kids who throw up when they cry. Because it worked with my older son, I did the same thing with my younger son; I suppose if cry-it-out had worked I'd probably have done that with the younger one as well.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Even as a baby my son had a will of iron and he would have probably cried all night long. For my sanity, it was easier to hold him till he fell asleep and play games on my Wii U.

He transitioned out of it just fine.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Cry it out feels viscerally wrong to me - I feel about it the way I do about spanking. My daughter was sort of a lovely sleeper, but we co-slept and nursed to sleep and I am happy to report that as a 3 year old she now goes to bed on her own, in her room, after her three stories with dad. My son is 10mo and co-sleeps and nurses to sleep and sleeps a lot better than she did for whatever reason. Sometimes you can set him down to nap and sometimes we have to hold him. It's okay. This stage won't last forever, and we are lucky with our childcare situation that we can work around it.

And anyways it'll change. They change how they sleep every couple of months for the first two years, so what you need and what works will change if you just wait long enough.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

cailleask posted:

Cry it out feels viscerally wrong to me - I feel about it the way I do about spanking. My daughter was sort of a lovely sleeper, but we co-slept and nursed to sleep and I am happy to report that as a 3 year old she now goes to bed on her own, in her room, after her three stories with dad. My son is 10mo and co-sleeps and nurses to sleep and sleeps a lot better than she did for whatever reason. Sometimes you can set him down to nap and sometimes we have to hold him. It's okay. This stage won't last forever, and we are lucky with our childcare situation that we can work around it.

And anyways it'll change. They change how they sleep every couple of months for the first two years, so what you need and what works will change if you just wait long enough.

It's cool that you didn't want to do cry it out, and I'm glad that you found something that worked. But, maybe don't compare it to child abuse? That's pretty lovely and entirely inaccurate.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I know CIO it pretty hotly debated, but unlike the massive amounts of study done on corporal punishment being a bad thing, there really is zero data of negative outcomes from CIO, and piles of data on good outcomes.

Personally we did CIO on our now 18 month son back around the 6th month mark. It worked like a charm in like two days after weeks of horrible sleeping problems for him (and us). After we went through it and were so happy with the outcome I advised my sister on it who's daughter was 16 months old at the time and still needed to fall asleep in a parent's arms to get her into crib. Two days of her crying for like 15 minutes tops and then bam, she was going right to sleep on her own.

To any new parent, I'd say make your own decision. If it feels wrong to you, then don't do it. I know the first night we did it was hell on earth for my emotions, but we were so exhausted from bedtime terrors that we pushed through. But if you do choose to do it, do it knowing that it is nothing at all like spanking.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WarpDogs posted:

my wife is a 2nd grade teacher and I can confirm that for our household this cycle has never actually ended

sometimes I envy my dog as she is the only one that is spared

its pretty miserable how no matter what you do if your kids get sick you're pretty much hosed. My 1 year old picked up norovirus christmas eve, passed it to my four year old and wife for christmas. I loving quarantined the poo poo of myself hand washing constantly not eating anything they touched cleaned everything and I still ended up getting sick about a week later with the same thing.

Also young children with sicknesses that make them barf are the loving worst because they just vomit EVERYWHERE CONSTANTLY WITH NO WARNING. Makes you wish you could put a diaper on their head.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Also young children with sicknesses that make them barf are the loving worst because they just vomit EVERYWHERE CONSTANTLY WITH NO WARNING. Makes you wish you could put a diaper on their head.

And no matter how hard you try, you'll never catch the vomit. They'll wait until that one second you aren't paying full attention and happen to move the bowl / trash can an inch away from their face and then :barf: all over themselves and you and, somehow, things across the room.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Honest to god, the main reason I don't want any more kids after our first is that them getting ill is the most stressful poo poo. My mind automatically goes to the worst possible place every time my son is sick, and it's horrible - and he's generally healthy and has never been ill with anything more serious than a high fever.

Last night he woke up around 11pm crying out in pain because his stomach hurt. It was the first time he's ever done it (he's 5) and it genuinely seemed really serious. He was screaming, was curled up in pain, would fall asleep for 10 seconds then wake up crying again. In the UK we have a service where you call 111 and speak to a medical professional, they go through a list of symptoms with you and give you advice. Because he was doubled up in pain and 'unable to do anything' the dude on the phone actually requested an ambulance to be sent out. (I then got a call from the ambulance service saying there was an 8 hour wait unless it was immediately life-threatening and could we take him ourselves to the hospital)

However by that point my son had fallen and was staying asleep, and we decided to just keep an eye on him. He woke up this morning completely fine, so I don't even know what the gently caress was going on. Trapped wind or something maybe? A larger than average turd making its way down? No idea.

But anyway, you feel so helpless, and because kids can't really articulate all that well what's actually wrong a lot of the time, it's really goddamn stressful.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

So, bad news: I have a fever, a 3 week old and a wife who is unable to produce much breast milk, so he's pretty much exclusively formula fed. How do I keep from getting my son sick?

I'm currently staying away from him, using a poo poo load of hand sanitizer, letting my wife take care of him and hoping for the best. Anything else I can do?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slimy Hog posted:

So, bad news: I have a fever, a 3 week old and a wife who is unable to produce much breast milk, so he's pretty much exclusively formula fed. How do I keep from getting my son sick?

I'm currently staying away from him, using a poo poo load of hand sanitizer, letting my wife take care of him and hoping for the best. Anything else I can do?

Not really no. I know it's a totally anxiety riddled moment for you (or at least it was for me when that first happened) but you and your kid should be fine.

First go see a doctor as to what virus/illness you have. Second, just do what you're doing. Although wash your hands if you have the opportunity instead of hand sanitizing. Washing your hands is way more effective.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Our twins (3 years) share a room and they're absolutely awful at night. From the moment we leave the room after tucking them in, one of them is out of her bed and running around. They talk, sing, and play for up to 1.5 hours. Their bedroom is right over our living room so there's no blocking it out.

We've tried positive reinforcement, spankings, taking away things, and calm repeated mantras that nighttime is for quiet and sleeping. Nothing works. I'll go in there and yell and as soon as I leave, they're at it again (I've had to do that while writing this post and they're currently going bonkers in there right now).

Does anyone have experience with this or suggestions?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

me your dad posted:

Our twins (3 years) share a room and they're absolutely awful at night. From the moment we leave the room after tucking them in, one of them is out of her bed and running around. They talk, sing, and play for up to 1.5 hours. Their bedroom is right over our living room so there's no blocking it out.

We've tried positive reinforcement, spankings, taking away things, and calm repeated mantras that nighttime is for quiet and sleeping. Nothing works. I'll go in there and yell and as soon as I leave, they're at it again (I've had to do that while writing this post and they're currently going bonkers in there right now).

What time is bedtime and what time is wakeup?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

What time is bedtime and what time is wakeup?

They're put in bed by 7:45 and waking is around 6:15.

It's 9:15 now and they're finally settling down.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

me your dad posted:

If you have the space in your home, keep all the toys in a separate play zone. Bedrooms are for sleeping, teddies/lovies and maybe books. No interactive toys.

Being yelled at or spanked wouldn't make me tired and I doubt it's any different for your kids. If you have go in to talk to them, keep it short and in a quiet voice. Think about what you're like when you have to go in there at 2AM. You're cranky and groggy but you're quiet.

If they're not sick and they don't need to go to the washroom or whatever, try ignoring it as much as you can. Every time you go in to shush them, double the time until you go in to shush them again. I think they're in a feedback loop with you and you're gonna see an extinction burst with this.

Do they get lots of running around, singing, etc. during the day? Are you watching anything loud directly below their bedroom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

me your dad posted:

My suggestion is to not hit your kids.