Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Brenda :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
EW.com asked fans to rank the seasons. Here is a link to the results but they spoil the seasons so if you don't want to see that I just put the ranking below

http://ew.com/tv/survivor-seasons-ranked-fans/ranking-every-survivor-season-from-first-to-worst

1. Heroes vs. Villains
2. Micronesia
3. Pearl Islands
4. Cagayan
5. China
6. Borneo
7. Amazon
8. Cambodia
9. Philippines
10. Tocantins
11. Australia
12. Panama
13. Palau
14. Blood vs. Water
15. Cook Islands
16. Millennials vs. Gen X
17. Kaoh Rong
18. Vanuatu
19. Marquesas
20. Africa
21. All-Stars
22. Gabon
23. Samoa
24. San Juan del Sur
25. Guatemala
26. Game Changers
27. Caramoan
28. Fiji
29. Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers
30. South Pacific
31. Worlds Apart
32. Nicaragua
33. Thailand
34. One World
35. Redemption Island 'Redemption Island had twice as many last place votes as any other season.'

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I maintain that they should have everyone at one camp and that One World just had a really lovely cast that ruined that concept.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Some things on that list I'm confused by, but it's more accurate than I would have expected

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I maintain that they should have everyone at one camp and that One World just had a really lovely cast that ruined that concept.

I agree,minus the separation of gender, which was useless.
The extra dynamics that come from living with the other tribe but not having a direct vote for that group are great. There's an added dimension of strategy for the early game where opposing members can try manipulating the other tribe before TC.
Just keep Colby away from everyone.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I would like to see that, too. One World advertised itself as all being at one camp but it certainly didn't feel as it was. Didn't they have separate camps but were just near enough to walk over? Even having that distance meant that people couldn't easily sit together and talk without it being obvious to everyone.

A single camp plus a delayed tribe swap would be awesome for shaking things up

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'd love the one world concept with having everybody on the same tribe for the first few votes, followed by a tribe division of some kind.

Also, for Asian American ladies, it's a bit obscure but I loved Michelle in Fiji. She had a fun personality and was a good player who got dryfucked by one of the worst twists Survivor has ever pulled.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

29. Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers
30. South Pacific
31. Worlds Apart
32. Nicaragua
33. Thailand
34. One World
35. Redemption Island 'Redemption Island had twice as many last place votes as any other season.'

I wasn't watching then, what happened in Thailand to end up in the middle of those other poo poo seasons?

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

AWarmBody posted:

Just keep Colby away from everyone.

I think you mean Colton but this is funny too.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lone Goat posted:

I wasn't watching then, what happened in Thailand to end up in the middle of those other poo poo seasons?

Everyone was kind of lovely and terrible. Especially the final 4. Add in a fake merge and pagonging.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was also a really dreary setting and I think that kind of contributed to how everyone was just a complete rear end in a top hat. Kind of the same way Savage's Pearl Island tribe just eventually hated their lives while sitting in the rain with no shelter. Weren't the Thailand people just living in a cave on a dead beach?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

One of my favourite survivor memories is the terrible cabin Rupert built that got immediately flooded when the tide came in. Everyone just sitting on benches with the water up to their ankles.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Thailand was the season that originally made me stop watching. I don't remember anything about it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

clown shoes posted:

Thailand was the season that originally made me stop watching. I don't remember anything about it.

How could you forget Robb Z! He brought a skateboard to the beach and choke slammed someone during a challenge. He also gave us that hilarious Survivor Amazon preview video in the boxing gym.

Edit: The Attack Zone!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I basically only really remember Thailand from images of dreary cave beach and the Funny 115 entries.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

I know they'll never do Survivor in a cold locale but if they did...

Survivor: Siberia — Furries vs. Mascots

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I would love for them to do a non-tropical Island season again...even if it was nice and warm

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Gluten Freeman posted:

One of my favourite survivor memories is the terrible cabin Rupert built that got immediately flooded when the tide came in. Everyone just sitting on benches with the water up to their ankles.

"It would be really cool if we built our shelter in a hole on the beach where water never flows."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like that at least half of the top ten seasons have female winners.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Thailand was the first season I didn't watch live, and I think it was just kind of a boring season on top of a television concept that looked like its time was near. There was bad juju on both pre-merge tribes, a morally repugnant winner, and straight up bad gameplay towards the end.

There was also a bit of a mess with the jury talking about one of the finalists being a racist rear end in a top hat without much proof, which likely sealed the deal for the winner.

But at least Ted was 150-200% satisfied with his wife.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Is that person who watched 2 entire seasons in the past week looking for suggestions for more seasons? If so, they should watch 28 or 32 at some point soon. Especially 28.

Also:

STAC Goat posted:

I do (rarely) agree with my fellow Goat that there seems to be a "this is kinda why they throw in so many advantages and idols and tribe swaps to keep things from ever getting too settled and fatalistic." But the dream is finding that sweet spot and its just one episode so far. And early enough in the season that at least it came at a time when we could stand getting to know people a bit more.

I would argue that this last episode is an argument *against* frequent twists. In this era of super-frequent swaps where tribes never last more than 3 rounds, what incentive does Bradley's group have to turn on one another? Why should Chelsea or Sebastian or anyone who thinks they are on the bottom of that alliance flip and annoy the vast majority of the original Naviti's when (1) they have a free pass to the next swap, (2) they are likely to swap into a new tribe that is majority-original Naviti at the next swap which they know is probably 1 or 2 rounds away? And even if they did have incentive to flip numerically, is it worth putting their neck out there to form a new slim majority if it's highly possible someone in the majority has a magic secret unknowable superpower that changes the mechanics of the vote in some way?

If you can't reliably plan for the future, you are forced to play in a conservative probabilistic way, where you just need to keep the inertia of a giant alliance going because going against it can very likely screw you over in the near future.

ETA: If we took things to the extreme and randomized tribes every episode, I bet the meta-game would quickly stabilize into one giant ~12-14-person alliance which would almost always form a majority on a new tribe and have one person from the minority to pick off.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 28, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm just mad they're screwing around with the Ghost Island mechanic. It originally hid someone from a TC, and then post-swap, it still hid Chris Noble from a TC. Why did it suddenly change after that?! It would have been so much better if it hadn't. KellyN gone would've made that first Bradley vote 4-4, and more interesting than the straight 5-4 numbers we had, even if Michael's idol play was a fun try. Then in the next vote, Stephanie would've been safe on GI, and maybe Michael plays his idol right or I don't know, but it would've been better, and also I'm just frustrated how illogical it was for the Ghost Island TC escape to disappear at a seemingly random point.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

They should divide the players into three tribes with everyone who has been sent to Ghost Island forming the Ghost Tribe on Ghost Island.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ghost Island is an impressively stupid element

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

I'm just mad they're screwing around with the Ghost Island mechanic. It originally hid someone from a TC, and then post-swap, it still hid Chris Noble from a TC. Why did it suddenly change after that?! It would have been so much better if it hadn't. KellyN gone would've made that first Bradley vote 4-4, and more interesting than the straight 5-4 numbers we had, even if Michael's idol play was a fun try. Then in the next vote, Stephanie would've been safe on GI, and maybe Michael plays his idol right or I don't know, but it would've been better, and also I'm just frustrated how illogical it was for the Ghost Island TC escape to disappear at a seemingly random point.

They also have a better chance for people to flip if they can threaten going to rocks, thus actually putting the ones they want to flip in danger.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

blue squares posted:

Ghost Island is an impressively stupid element

Another way it can be better is if people can’t decide who on the other tribe to send to Ghost Island, THEY should draw rocks instead.

Jesus Christ this whole gimmick was poorly thought out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mancalamania posted:

I would argue that this last episode is an argument *against* frequent twists. In this era of super-frequent swaps where tribes never last more than 3 rounds, what incentive does Bradley's group have to turn on one another? Why should Chelsea or Sebastian or anyone who thinks they are on the bottom of that alliance flip and annoy the vast majority of the original Naviti's when (1) they have a free pass to the next swap, (2) they are likely to swap into a new tribe that is majority-original Naviti at the next swap which they know is probably 1 or 2 rounds away? And even if they did have incentive to flip numerically, is it worth putting their neck out there to form a new slim majority if it's highly possible someone in the majority has a magic secret unknowable superpower that changes the mechanics of the vote in some way?

If you can't reliably plan for the future, you are forced to play in a conservative probabilistic way, where you just need to keep the inertia of a giant alliance going because going against it can very likely screw you over in the near future.

ETA: If we took things to the extreme and randomized tribes every episode, I bet the meta-game would quickly stabilize into one giant ~12-14-person alliance which would almost always form a majority on a new tribe and have one person from the minority to pick off.
Completely agreed. I wasn't really taking a stance on the matter, just saying that the mini-Pagonging going on where there was no real opportunity or path to change it up is basically the theoretical reason for more twists. But I also don't think you should judge the whole season on one or two episodes and obviously its kind of a loose criticism when Micheal had an idol he just couldn't make work for him and one of Naviti could have gotten a power that might have changed up the whole scenario. So sometimes the advantages just don't play out to make things more interesting. Its not scripted so its a crapshoot.

But yeah, I agree that the knowledge that they PROBABLY were going to get another Tribe Swap was the best piece of information Sebastian and Chelsea could have worked with to decide to just play it safe, not rock the boat or make any enemies, and see how things play out. Even if they do think they're on the bottom of their five there's a LONG game to play and plenty of time for that to change. And this early in very much the chances of another swap if they knew the show.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If nothing else, at least Ghost Island all but forced them to cast more actual fans of the show. I'm sure they're talking about it, but we very rarely get to see it if they're planning for it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sometime I'd love to see a DROP YOUR BUFFS right after a tribal immunity challenge.

Just for yuks

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Having to make a new shelter with five starving people on day 16 or whatever is incredible bullshit

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's pretty rough to drop 5 people into a brand new camp with no shelter or anything.

I mean at that point, why even bother making a camp when they are almost certainly going to merge back to 2 groups in like 6 days at most?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

Having to make a new shelter with five starving people on day 16 or whatever is incredible bullshit

Like that is my thinking as well. If they producers are going to drop back to 3 tribes then I think the odd tribe odd should at least get their shelter pre-built.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Man it's so tiring being me because I'm soooo great.

I have a huge dick and am really good at all sports and I'm very charismatic. Also I'm a model. And a goddamn genius.

BENEFICIARY lmao music sting

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lmao Chris

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This Chris segment is too much for me to handle. Amazing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That was an Amazing Race level burn from the music editor :laffo:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That was the most over the top edit I've seen on the show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shneak posted:

That was the most over the top edit I've seen on the show.

Maybe but they couldn't make that edit of someone who wasn't a complete toolbox because they would never have said half that poo poo and not in that tone of voice

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh my god Bradley.

The confessionals tonight have been so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Bradley got a pretty good dumdum edit right there too, this is some good poo poo.

• Locked thread