Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I have made a momentous discovery! Rejoice, anybody who, like me, is horrible at Tiger Tiger! If you send Poppi on a Merc Mission, :siren:you can fill the node for getting high score in Tiger Tiger!:siren:

I might actually bother going after the master whatever stuff in Stage 5, now that I don't have to give a poo poo about my score! I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders... or maybe all that practice finally improved my horrible skills? I can actually clear Stage 5 consistently now, sometimes without taking damage! :monocle:

No sign of the master mods, though. Just how rare are the light and dark element core? What about the master mods? Those are the only things you can only pick up in a stage, right? Everything else can by made from Ether?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Silver Falcon posted:

I have made a momentous discovery! Rejoice, anybody who, like me, is horrible at Tiger Tiger! If you send Poppi on a Merc Mission, :siren:you can fill the node for getting high score in Tiger Tiger!:siren:

I might actually bother going after the master whatever stuff in Stage 5, now that I don't have to give a poo poo about my score! I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders... or maybe all that practice finally improved my horrible skills? I can actually clear Stage 5 consistently now, sometimes without taking damage! :monocle:

No sign of the master mods, though. Just how rare are the light and dark element core? What about the master mods? Those are the only things you can only pick up in a stage, right? Everything else can by made from Ether?

If you do a flawless run of stage 1 (challenging but not impossible, especially with easy mode) you get a massive score that blows past all those milestones.

You can buy dark cores but light cores only drop on the last stage and I saw 1 or 2 in the couple hours (2-3?) it took me to get one of each master mod. I'm pretty sure I had far better than average luck in getting those though. Odds are you'll get a dark core drop while farming master mods, I ended up with 3 or 4 I think.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Yeah stage 1 easy is the best place to get the score nodes done. Take no damage, grab every chest, grab every crystal, should be an easy 60,000+.

As for master mods (not to be confused with V mods like I thought) they only drop from stage 5 and seem to be slightly more common than element cores. I got five of them before a dark core finally dropped. Thankfully the first two were Tank, so that saved me a lot of time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yyyyeah I am aware that the best way to get high scores is to perfect level 1. If I could perfect level 1 I wouldn't have tried sending Poppi on the Merc Mission...

I only just managed a no damage, no kill run of the first level today and netted around 46k, highest I have ever gotten. Getting all the crystals is thoroughly beyond me. I cannot do it. I suck at Tiger Tiger, hence why I was so excited when doing the Merc Mission filled out those nodes. Poppi Alpha's Affinity Chart is totally filled now!

In any case I am having better results with level 5 now. It's still not what I would call fun, but it's less frustrating now. At least I can beat the level consistently. Still no Master Mods or Light Core... They're not plot locked, are they? I'm in New Game+ and heading to Mor Ardain next. I have all the levels available, but there's not some dumb thing where the good stuff doesn't start dropping until a certain point in the story, is there?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Silver Falcon posted:

Yyyyeah I am aware that the best way to get high scores is to perfect level 1. If I could perfect level 1 I wouldn't have tried sending Poppi on the Merc Mission...

I only just managed a no damage, no kill run of the first level today and netted around 46k, highest I have ever gotten. Getting all the crystals is thoroughly beyond me. I cannot do it. I suck at Tiger Tiger, hence why I was so excited when doing the Merc Mission filled out those nodes. Poppi Alpha's Affinity Chart is totally filled now!

I thought the same thing until things started to click for me. Are you playing on easy mode? Abusing the poo poo out of walls not damaging you is how I eventually pulled it off.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How much more do I have left in Xenoblade 2? Mikhail just got blown up by the Space Pope.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Rirse posted:

How much more do I have left in Xenoblade 2? Mikhail just got blown up by the Space Pope.

You're pretty close. Chapter 10 is the final chapter. You still need to go through (minor spoiler, I guess, since it's mentioned a million times) Elysium. You'll know you're right at the end when the mission text is something like "Rush to the hangar to fight Aion"

Edit: Come to think of it you still have a couple boss battles before the end boss: Jin and Malos, separately. as well as a small chain of battles in the above mentioned locale. I think that's about it - it's been a while since I finished. You're still pretty close, relatively speaking.

ssb fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 27, 2018

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Is there a list of the best salvage points? I know one or two got nerfed via a patch and the two suggested spots in Mor Ardain don’t seem to be giving much of note.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Huh... I got the Light Element Core.

Still no sign of Master Mods. I'm beginning to think the Master Mods must be plot locked somehow... Otherwise wouldn't I be swimming in the things by now?!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Silver Falcon posted:

Huh... I got the Light Element Core.

Still no sign of Master Mods. I'm beginning to think the Master Mods must be plot locked somehow... Otherwise wouldn't I be swimming in the things by now?!

Not really. I think I did probably close to thirty runs before I got my first one.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Beep boop gently caress using Tora

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Black Balloon posted:

Beep boop gently caress using Tora

Good news, he's capable of soloing every boss in the game because Xenoblade 2 wants you to use the most trash character concept they came up with from both a design and mechanics standpoint.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I like Tora and Poppi

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Barudak posted:

Good news, he's capable of soloing every boss in the game because Xenoblade 2 wants you to use the most trash character concept they came up with from both a design and mechanics standpoint.

Too bad the AI is too stupid to be able tank nearly as effectively as a person.

I also like Tora and Hana Poppi.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Just picked up this game and so far it's cool. A little light on the exposition to start but I got the hang of it after a while. One question though: Is moving in combat supposed to be this slow? You zip around out of combat and then within it's suddenly like moving through jelly. This feels really weird coming from XC and XCX.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

SettingSun posted:

Just picked up this game and so far it's cool. A little light on the exposition to start but I got the hang of it after a while. One question though: Is moving in combat supposed to be this slow? You zip around out of combat and then within it's suddenly like moving through jelly. This feels really weird coming from XC and XCX.

Yeah it's pretty jolting and I don't really like it, especially since you don't attack while moving. Any art that requires any sort of directional attack (back, side, etc.) is pointless since aggro seems all over the place and by the time you position yourself properly the enemy has already moved or something else happened.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Yeah it's pretty jolting and I don't really like it, especially since you don't attack while moving. Any art that requires any sort of directional attack (back, side, etc.) is pointless since aggro seems all over the place and by the time you position yourself properly the enemy has already moved or something else happened.

That took me frustratingly long to adjust to. I kept ruining all my auto attacks by moving around out of habit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Too bad the AI is too stupid to be able tank nearly as effectively as a person.

I also like Tora and Hana Poppi.

Thats why you assume direct control and throw them repeatedly off cliffs trounce every fight

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

You can move while your blades are doing specials, which is something I didn't realize for like 70 hours.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

You can move while your blades are doing specials, which is something I didn't realize for like 70 hours.

I didn't realize that either til probably like 100 hours in :negative:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SettingSun posted:

Out of combat you're not holding your weapon. You move faster again in combat if you sheath it.

e: or if your blade has it yeah

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Tender Bender posted:

You move fast too and it's perfect for picking up any wayward potions.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think you move slow so auto attack cancelling is easier to do.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Don't you move faster at higher affinity also? But yeah throwing your specials off to go pick up loot or potions is definitely a thing.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It's actually pretty useful since you're effectively sheathed while your blade is doing a special. Good time to run around grabbing health pots.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I looked up some Poppi builds online and lord help me I'm going to actually attempt to engage with this mechanic I've ignored for hundreds of hours...

How necessary are the Master Mods? According to what I read, they're only a 5% boost over the V versions, and I wouldn't have to rely on the fiddly RNG. I did finally get one Master Mod. Master Luck Mod. :geno: Oh joy.

Also Internet seems to agree that QT Pi wants a Muscle Mod and Alpha and QT want Evasion. Sound right?

I like Poppi. Tora is cute but mostly I like Poppi and how she sasses Tora constantly. I only benched Tora because I hated Tiger Tiger... and I find his battle quotes annoying but I think there's a setting I can turn down for that.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The only Master Mod that’s important is evasion, if you’re going for triple evasion mods. Every bit of extra agility helps. Otherwise, they’ll just make your numbers slightly bigger. A single Master Tank Mod is enough to hit the HP cap as well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Rirse posted:

I'm on chapter 7 and how the gently caress do you beat Jin and Malos. I'm level 54 for Rex and level 57 for party member 4 and 5. I really don't want to have to grind, as that didn't really help in previous annoying fights.

You grab taunt resistance on everyone you can and then turbo one of them down with a chain attack just as they hit 50%.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Blowdown from Malos was annoying too as well as his shackle blade. I did the blade combo to prevent blowdown and then kind of just whittled him down with anchor shot spam for healing pots.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Barudak posted:

Better news, I've done that with Zeke and Rex too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zoran posted:

The only Master Mod that’s important is evasion, if you’re going for triple evasion mods. Every bit of extra agility helps. Otherwise, they’ll just make your numbers slightly bigger. A single Master Tank Mod is enough to hit the HP cap as well.

I just reached Mor Ardain and did a few more runs while procrastinating over writing a grad school essay and got two Master Evasion Mods! I could maybe use the Master Muscle Mod for QT-Pi, but a Muscle Mod V would probably also do the trick.

... Now I have to actually advance the plot far enough where I can get all the Technical Manuals and actually build the parts I need. Annoyingly, the Manuals don't carry over to NG+. If I'd known ahead of time I was going to suddenly get interested in kitting out Poppi, I'd have crafted a bunch of high level parts with all the Ether the Expansion Pass shat at me before starting over! :argh: Oh well. I'll get there eventually I guess...

EDIT: OK I got a Master Strike Mod. Would QT-Pi prefer that, or Muscle Mod V?

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 28, 2018

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Strike Mod isn't that good, Muscle Mod turns her into a murder machine.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Louisgod posted:

Dumb tip for that:

Put your tank in the third party slot. Don't draw your weapon until you get at or close to the back side of the enemy. Boom, your tank is in position to draw aggro and have the enemy butt facing you. Alternatively, just play the tank.

Additional tip: don't stand directly opposite the tank if you've got both side and back positionals (e.g. Aegis Sword). Instead, stand to the side so you can shift a little bit in each direction to land the attack. Put another way, if the tank is at 12 o'clock, move between 7 and 8/5 and 4 to hit back and side positionals. You tend to want to stand in a triangle formation anyway, since healing potions want you to spread out, and frontal arc attacks mean you don't want to be in front (same for automatic back attacks that some enemies have). In short, the game should naturally be encouraging you to this sort of setup anyway.

Alternatively, just don't use both positional moves. Do you really need both Sword Bash and Double Spinning Edge? Rolling Smash drops aggro on hit, so that will help with aggro management, especially depending on your Blade loadout.

(and if you say "Oh, I use Rolling Smash, Sword Bash, and Double Spinning Edge" and you're after Chapter 4, then whatever you're running into is enough of a joke to lose out on the massive amount of healing power Anchor Shot provides so it doesn't really matter what buttons you're pressing)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Sword Bash is the worst Aegis Sword move.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

There are Aegis sword moves besides Dual Spinning Edge? :v:

I just spam it over and over because crit recharge. Doesn't matter where you're standing, in that case.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I used Sword Bash since it's essentially the same as Backslash and Rolling Smash since Rex's whole thing requires not having agro, and didn't change for the entire game. Kind of glad the game doesn't care nearly as much about the back attacks as the first Xenoblade, but that also made him sort of boring.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay what the gently caress happened. I was fighting the last boss and got him near death when he suddenly pulled a ultimate attack named after a bad movie and instant killed me. I couldn't hit him at that point as he moved away from the railing. Did I miss a cue or something?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rirse posted:

Okay what the gently caress happened. I was fighting the last boss and got him near death when he suddenly pulled a ultimate attack named after a bad movie and instant killed me. I couldn't hit him at that point as he moved away from the railing. Did I miss a cue or something?

When he drops to 50% HP you basically have to chain attack him and kill him off. Yes this is stupid and not cleanly set up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Barudak posted:

When he drops to 50% HP you basically have to chain attack him and kill him off. Yes this is stupid and not cleanly set up.

Tora also has a 1/battle ability to survive a fatal hit on his tree so you can just have him live through its and revive your other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Silver Falcon posted:

There are Aegis sword moves besides Dual Spinning Edge? :v:

I just spam it over and over because crit recharge. Doesn't matter where you're standing, in that case.

You don't Anchor Shot -> Power Swipe -> Wing Smash???

ANCHOR SHOT! ANCHOR SHOT! ANCHOR SHOT!