Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Who wins in a Gustafsson & Svidler vs Chessbrah match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Gustaffson making a Phone/Foam Corner reference is the highlight of the tournament.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Malaver posted:

Chess24 are higher rated, but I don't know how often/seriously Jan plays anymore.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thats it! Book it, Fabi v Carlsen London 2018*

* assuming fabi draws now

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Welp, everything's drawn now except Sascha - Fabi. Which, Caruana is playing very conservatively, probably going to draw a winning position, and win the tournament.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Doctor Malaver posted:

Does Chessbrah get to claim Caruana?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
loving Chess24 got dark all of a sudden

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

"Just google 'Dolphins. Evil.' They are the source of most of the evil in the world."

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Does Chessbrah get to claim Caruana?

No :)
Maybe they can claim Yasser though.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Caruana being a baller, continuing to play for a win even though he must know by now that a draw secures the tournament for him. Heck yeah.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Now they're talking about Jane the Virgin, my wife's favorite show.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
And there's the resignation, wow. Caruana winning the last two rounds after a tough loss to Karjakin, takes the Candidates at +4. Totalled 3 wins with the black pieces, just a fantastic performance. If he stays playing at this level it should be a really exciting match in London.

Ding Liren also had a really impressive tournament, finishing +1 with no losses. The only game I saw where he looked in serious trouble was the one Caruana had won and just blew.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

grah posted:

And there's the resignation, wow. Caruana winning the last two rounds after a tough loss to Karjakin, takes the Candidates at +4. Totalled 3 wins with the black pieces, just a fantastic performance. If he stays playing at this level it should be a really exciting match in London.

Ding Liren also had a really impressive tournament, finishing +1 with no losses. The only game I saw where he looked in serious trouble was the one Caruana had won and just blew.

Worthy winner, glad he pushed on instead of sticking out his hand the instant he heard shak drew. Ding could have easily won this tournament, i think he came with a gameplan to be absolutely solid defensively and then push for wins later on in the tournament. Very nearly paid off for him and to his credit most of his draws were fairly interesting games.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

:911: lets gooooo Caruana!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

AnacondaHL posted:

:911: lets gooooo Caruana!

:italy: you mean

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Once more, thanks algebra testes for the great OP. It made me care about the tournament much more than I normally would.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Good for Fabi, and also good for Kramnik for playing like an absolute maniac all tournament.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
This tournament deserves a book like they did in the old days. I was afraid it’d be conservative draw after draw, but they went after each other.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BurningStone posted:

This tournament deserves a book like they did in the old days. I was afraid it’d be conservative draw after draw, but they went after each other.

Agreed, alas, it took until December 2017 to get a good Carlsen/Karjakin book so I don't think it would happen. I would love it though.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Caruana has a legitimate shot at beating Carlsen. Carlsen is without doubt the stronger player but consistency has been missing from his performance over the last couple of years. It could happen.

Carlsen is still the massive odds on favourite but its not Tyson vs Douglas.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

algebra testes posted:

Agreed, alas, it took until December 2017 to get a good Carlsen/Karjakin book so I don't think it would happen. I would love it though.

Maybe somebody will do a DVD or video series.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

For those who don’t want to wait, round one of GRENKE tomorrow has Caruana - Carlsen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

For those who don’t want to wait, round one of GRENKE tomorrow has Caruana - Carlsen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHORRyWfHeI

edit: Magnus and Fabi post game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJOkH3VPXC8 (also that channel has like, all the stories from Peter Svidler edited from the candidates broadcast if that's your deal)

Draw, however in the 5 seconds I spent looking at it it look like Magnus had a theoretically won endgame.

edit: when I say that however I note that when a computer looks at an endgame often the way a computer has literally solved it, and often a human just doesn't play that way. Regardless, Carlsen v Karjakin was very much a story of "endgames Carlsen could have won" if that's your kink.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 1, 2018

• Locked thread