Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trig Discipline posted:

Depends on the time and place, in my experience.

It should be done like a traditional gender reveal. Which is to say, on a suburban driveway, and all attendees should be wearing basketball shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Riatsala posted:

You have no idea how confusing that acronym is for me when I'm reading these forums.

In my experience like 1/10 of all real estate people are even okay human beings. I had one firm who did not understand why I wouldn't extend my "friends, family, and good people" discount to them like I did to a local animal shelter.

Good lord. I use the ESRI and Adobe suites, personally, but I'm just a crappy, early career one man operation. I couldn't even guess what that guy makes; in house GIS analysts go for anywhere from 30,000 to 120,000 or more depending on industry, experience, and location, but if he's worth that much in datasets and using specialized analysis software I'm gonna guess he's making bank.

ewwww esri.

they are some of the most annoying vendors/partners/clients ever

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
The latest FailArmy video had some of those, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMptpfyA5L8

Somewhere in my brain I want Trump and his cronies to get their comeuppance, for the better of the country. But honestly, watching these parents make their older kids cry by revealing the sex of their baby (especially when it's a girl hoping for a baby sister) makes my blood boil so much quicker.

Like, why do they think that the older kid should care as much as they supposedly do? You could just wait until the baby was born or whatever, but no you have to get her loving hopes up for a baby sister and then reveal NOPE IT'S A BOY gently caress YOU HAHAHA CRY FOR MOMMY'S YOUTUBE VIEWS!

Also in the video, I wish I could tell the boy (James?) screaming to stop the "Happy Birthday" song that he's 100% in the right. You tell 'em, kid.

Mezzanine has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Mar 27, 2018

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The only way to do a gender reveal party.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If I did a gender reveal party I would turn it into a sex reveal party with penises or vaginas exploding out of balloons.

"That's what you shitlords seem to care about so eat your dick cupcake already."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chard posted:

not sure how this post got here

Please state your confusion in the form of a funny picture.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Imagined posted:

I have an amazing artist friend who does this poo poo to herself, unprompted. She'll spend a month making some amazing leather purse or something and then you'll ask her what she'd sell it for and she'll quote about the price of the materials. Like her time and skill have no value. I keep telling her to let me be her art pimp. I have no problem demanding money.
I have a friend just like this too. He's an amateur leatherworker and when asked how much he wanted for some stuff that he made for me he went "well it was about $20 in materials and it took me about three hours so, uh, $25?"

I called him an idiot for valuing 3 hours of work at $5 and gave him $100.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

sneakyfrog posted:

ewwww esri.

I don't disagree. I get regular emails from ESRI liaisons asking me in the vaguest possible ways whether there's anything I need for my account. Problem is, they never specify which account (I manage my own + 3-4 others), are never the same person so I can't cross-reference emails, and never reply when I ask what the gently caress they're referring to.

Buuuut they're the industry standard. And their software sucks, but it sucks less than everything else available so :shrug:

Anyway, I'll stop making GBS threads up the thread with GIS talk

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
Gender reveals can be cool and good. The way everyone in my office has done it is to just make cupcakes or cookies or something and then put either blue or pink frosting on, and that's how they "reveal" to the office. It's fun and everyone shares a snack and it's not a big deal. However, some of these idiots doing it for the facebook likes deserve to be bitten by a crocodile.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Picnic Princess posted:

If I did a gender reveal party I would turn it into a sex reveal party with penises or vaginas exploding out of balloons.

"That's what you shitlords seem to care about so eat your dick cupcake already."

These things were being discussed in the IoSM thread as well, and I've come to the conclusion that the color variety balloon box is the best possible instance of it. Just whatever. It's a baby! Hooray!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Are gender reveal parties a separate event from a baby shower? I feel like I don't have enough time/interest to attend 2 parties for the same baby before it's even born.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
or any baby parties for that matter.

my mobile sex trophies do not need your silly parties, they have brains made of pudding ffs

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sneakyfrog posted:

or any baby parties for that matter.

my mobile sex trophies do not need your silly parties, they have brains made of pudding ffs

Generally, for a baby's first couple birthday party the gifts will be things th baby needs, like new clothes or baby toys or whatever. It helps out the parents. It's not like, "here you go, one year old baby, Playstation VR"

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I'm thinking a "food/housecleaning for mom, baby delivered healthy/alive, and meeting baby" party is more appropriate for like a month after. I don't think I'd want to have a party before I knew the baby was a done deal.

E: Then again I can't imagine actual birthday parties until the kid was in school and had friends. Inviting my own friends to a baby's birthdays just seems strange. Cake among family, yeah, but actual parties nah.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scathach posted:

I'm thinking a "food/housecleaning for mom, baby delivered healthy/alive, and meeting baby" party is more appropriate for like a month after. I don't think I'd want to have a party before I knew the baby was a done deal.

Baby death rates are under 1 percent, I think the benfits of having all the baby stuff set up and ready to go outweighs the extremely small chance of miscarriage or stillbirth. I mean, it would suck pretty bad to get home from the hospital with the baby and be like, "OK make a bed for it out of socks in an open drawer, I'm gonna go hit up Ikea and see if they have cribs. I'll buy diapers on the way home too, we'll be fine"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I've heard of baby presents being stuff like, buying bonds or investing in something so when the tyke is 18 they can do something nice.

ANYWAY

https://twitter.com/yoyorobot/status/978689994997997568

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Scathach posted:

E: Then again I can't imagine actual birthday parties until the kid was in school and had friends. Inviting my own friends to a baby's birthdays just seems strange. Cake among family, yeah, but actual parties nah.

It's a ploy to score more gifts. My niece had a birthday party for her 1yo son, and there were, like 100 people invited. You can't tell me that wasn't a strategic move to line the family coffers. And yeah, I had to go, and yeah it was the most boring 2 hours of my life making small talk with people you don't know, and will probably never see again.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Riatsala posted:

Are gender reveal parties a separate event from a baby shower? I feel like I don't have enough time/interest to attend 2 parties for the same baby before it's even born.

They're usually for children after the first, when parents don't need gifts but still want to celebrate their pregnancy with friends and family.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Baby death rates are under 1 percent, I think the benfits of having all the baby stuff set up and ready to go outweighs the extremely small chance of miscarriage or stillbirth. I mean, it would suck pretty bad to get home from the hospital with the baby and be like, "OK make a bed for it out of socks in an open drawer, I'm gonna go hit up Ikea and see if they have cribs. I'll buy diapers on the way home too, we'll be fine"

Yeah but don't normal parents buy all that stuff for themselves beforehand? I mean they only have nine months to figure out they need a crib. I'd never expect to get a present that expensive at a shower.

Then again I've only been to baby showers where every gift was a variation of blue/pink onesies with dumb sayings and a ton of toys that will be stepped on in the coming year.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

And nobody was attacked by spontaneous fascism.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scathach posted:

Yeah but don't normal parents buy all that stuff for themselves beforehand? I mean they only have nine months to figure out they need a crib. I'd never expect to get a present that expensive at a shower.

Then again I've only been to baby showers where every gift was a variation of blue/pink onesies with dumb sayings and a ton of toys that will be stepped on in the coming year.

Buying cribs is for rich people. You get a twenty year old crib that's been on an epic journey from person to person before it ended up in your social circle and finally to you.

edit: and you know it's been used 17 times because every baby who used it carved their name into the headboard

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Scathach posted:

Most gifts in baby showers are going to be gadgets that other parents have discovered that the new parents wouldn't think of on their own. A way to hand down advice and knowledge without being overbearing when the soon to be parents need it the most. At least that's the platonic ideal. Like baby books, most new parents know they're going to need them but few realize just how many they're going to need to keep the baby happy and themselves sane.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Most gifts in baby showers are going to be gadgets that other parents have discovered that the new parents wouldn't think of on their own. A way to hand down advice and knowledge without being overbearing when the soon to be parents need it the most. At least that's the platonic ideal. Like baby books, most new parents know they're going to need them but few realize just how many they're going to need to keep the baby happy and themselves sane.

Also no new parent is going to realize just how many onesies they're going to need because babies manage to poo poo straight through their diapers and ruin their clothes.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Life hack: if you want to receive gift cards for your baby shower don't reveal the gender. Many people can't comprehend the idea of baby things being non-gendered and will just give you a gift card so they don't have to think about the existence of gender neutral colors and toys.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Guy Goodbody posted:

Buying cribs is for rich people. You get a twenty year old crib that's been on an epic journey from person to person before it ended up in your social circle and finally to you.

edit: and you know it's been used 17 times because every baby who used it carved their name into the headboard

I feel like there's a middle ground between rich and double digit hand me downs from families with knife wielding babies.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

KDdidit posted:

Life hack: if you want to receive gift cards for your baby shower don't reveal the gender. Many people can't comprehend the idea of baby things being non-gendered and will just give you a gift card so they don't have to think about the existence of gender neutral colors and toys.

poo poo now I think I should have held off on revealing my own gender until I was in my twenties. I liked toys and albums and poo poo but I like money more.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Snowy posted:

Is a gender reveal some sort of trans thing? And I need a link to that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqq_FSNsGuw

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Found out my local supermarket has a Balkan shelf, and this was on it.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Syncopated posted:

Then just imagine how hilarious seeing DBZ for the first time was here in the Balkans.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

burexas.irom posted:

Then just imagine how hilarious seeing DBZ for the first time was here in the Balkans.

heh

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Syncopated posted:

OVER 9000mg of Sodium

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I always wanted a girl's father to ask me this so I could say, "To get to know you better sir."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I feel like there's a middle ground between rich and double digit hand me downs from families with knife wielding babies.

:wrong:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I always wanted a girl's father to ask me this so I could say, "To get to know you better sir."

When he starts to go "son, what in the everloving gently caress are you trying to say?" that's when you interrupt him with a single finger shush, then let it sensually drag down his lips and chin while you breathily intone "Why so impatient... we'll get there."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

sneakyfrog posted:

ewwww esri.

I use MapInfo and it's perfectly *crashes*

To be honest I use QGIS if I'm consulting, which crashes probably just as much but is free. My company uses MapInfo because the woman whose job it is to decide these things is married to a guy from Pitney Bowes. :thunk:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Memento posted:

I use MapInfo and it's perfectly *crashes*

To be honest I use QGIS if I'm consulting, which crashes probably just as much but is free. My company uses MapInfo because the woman whose job it is to decide these things is married to a guy from Pitney Bowes. :thunk:

id call that dude scalebitch just to remind him on a constant basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I learned if you have cheat codes activated, you can go thru 2 waves. Heck, you can replace the 5th graders with adults.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)