Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Iron Crowned posted:

The only thing I can really remember about that show is that there was an episode where the Martians were filling up a big rear end jar with human brains.

I think the wiki said something about it being a pretty graphic show. Well, it can't be that graphic since it was on TV in the 80s, and in syndication to boot. So kids, after reruns of Three's Company and Laverne and Shirley, let's watch some of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuDc8V2r53g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Why didn't chakotay just ask his ancestors to find a wormhole back to earth if they could give him visions in the delta quadrant?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I mean by that point there were, what, like 25 total of them left on the Earth?

On Earth yeah, but the Federation gave them a whole planet. And then ceded the planet over to the Romulons.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

On Earth yeah, but the Federation gave them a whole planet. And then ceded the planet over to the Romulons.

Ah, how generous! A whole planet, reserved just for them, a reservation if you will.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

JediTalentAgent posted:

In the late 80s/early 90s War of the Worlds TV series I was pretty sure there was a Native American military guy who (when introduced, at least) just never seemed to show any sort of the stereotypical stuff.

I rewatched the pilot several years ago and it was really sort of interesting all things considered in how it felt like opposite day (from what I remember).
-The scientist guy lead isn't trying to be the peacemaker or anything with them, he actively wants to murder Martians from word go.
-The above mentioned Native American guy.
-The pilot ends with the US Gov. and the military being 100% onboard with this crazy scientist and his plan to hunt down and kill Martians. There's no hint of "Well, better luck convincing us in the next episode, Doctor. Until then..."
Found it on YouTube and holy poo poo is this bad.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The only plot i remember from War of the Worlds was an episode where they used music with subliminal messages to brainwash humans to their side. It was a weird show.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Choco1980 posted:

The only plot i remember from War of the Worlds was an episode where they used music with subliminal messages to brainwash humans to their side. It was a weird show.
Man, those old Tripods books did that too - they had a TV show with subliminal messaging to make children want to be ruled over by alien spaceships.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's not like they'd be any worse than the current overlords

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ariong posted:

Ah, how generous! A whole planet, reserved just for them, a reservation if you will.

I hear what you’re saying, but I think the scale of gifting a whole planet makes it different.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fruit on the bottom posted:

I hear what you’re saying, but I think the scale of gifting a whole planet makes it different.
It's Trek, so the whole planet could be one climate exactly like the worst part of South Dakota

But yeah

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

The War of the Worlds show also had a really weird revamp between seasons. The first season was a whole secret war with a team fighting the Martians who are hiding out and doing covert poo poo. Then the second season rolls around and it is set some time after the first season and the Martians have conquered the world.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah but when you've got a couple dozen of the things lying around it seems a whole lot less generous.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I still take a poo poo on the toilet sitting like Slater so you can learn something from even dated shows imo

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ariong posted:

Yeah it was an episode that took the "wagon train to the stars" a little too much on the nose. The Enterprise shows up to relocate the Native Americans but they refuse because the planet is where the spirits told them to live.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

I still take a poo poo on the toilet sitting like Slater so you can learn something from even dated shows imo

I mean, otherwise where would you set your sandwich while you wipe?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Man, those old Tripods books did that too - they had a TV show with subliminal messaging to make children want to be ruled over by alien spaceships.

Oh man, I used to love those books. I wonder if they hold up?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Bloop posted:

On the thigh that you're not resting your beer on. Obviously.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

King of Foolians posted:

And thanks to the internet I just found out that the actor who played Chief Hotate, Jonathan Joss, was also the voice of John Redcorn.
I did a comical double take, apparently, when he briefly appeared in the Cohen brothers True Grit.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Bloop posted:

After the turd time of finding myself chewing paper I stopped bringing bread in there.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

EmmyOk posted:

After the turd time of finding myself chewing paper I stopped bringing bread in there.

Lol more like a Freudian poo poo

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

That's Crazy Talk.

No, Crazy Talk is my brother :downsrim:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

The only thing I can really remember about that show is that there was an episode where the Martians were filling up a big rear end jar with human brains.

They should have used a big brain jar IMO

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The planet was fine, it was the transporter mix up with the blankets that was a problem.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Didn't go through the decontamination for some reason?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

MrUnderbridge posted:

Didn't go through the decontamination for some reason?

Wow what a crazy “accident”.

Actually, last I heard for the most part smallpox blankets were accidental and only one like one or two occasions was it seriously considered as a form of biological warfare against the native Americans. Is that still what the consensus is?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I was listening to a Simpsons podcast about the episode where Sideshow Bob stole a nuke and forgot that in the 90's jokes about the US military being dumb and useless were incredibly common.

Because haha what, are we gonna get in ANOTHER massive war, after Vietnam hosed so much up? Hahaha. Those guys are just sittin around the base all day getting into stupid hi jinks with nothing to do.

Hahaha guys.

It's funny because forever war.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Shining Time Station owned, I'm autistic as gently caress and I love trains.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't they also have their hands come out of human stomachs or something?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pick posted:

Shining Time Station owned, I'm autistic as gently caress and I love trains.

Pick I'm not autistic as gently caress but the only way Shining Time could have been more rad when I was a small child was if it had dinosaurs in it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Len posted:

Pick I'm not autistic as gently caress but the only way Shining Time could have been more rad when I was a small child was if it had dinosaurs in it.

This show seems incredibly pandering.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Beachcomber posted:

I mean it's got dinosaurs and trains does it need anything else to check off every box of what 5 year old boys dig?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Wow what a crazy “accident”.

Actually, last I heard for the most part smallpox blankets were accidental and only one like one or two occasions was it seriously considered as a form of biological warfare against the native Americans. Is that still what the consensus is?

Iirc, it wasn't so much that that they wouldn't have done it as it was that people back then didn't understand diseases well enough to do it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Beachcomber posted:

my kid told me one morning she wanted to watch "dinosaur trucks" and i was like there's no way that's a thing and sure enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud_gLdgJJAQ

yeah the us army had no problems at all just hunting native americans down and shooting them to death so im not sure what the smallpox blankets were supposed to achieve

AnoHito posted:

Iirc, it wasn't so much that that they wouldn't have done it as it was that people back then didn't understand diseases well enough to do it.

they did understand it and biological warfare of this type was common enough in the middle ages and early modern period. iirc there's documented proof the british tried it before the revolution

they didn't know exactly what was up with germs but they figured out pretty quickly that contact with diseased material spread some diseases

boner confessor has a new favorite as of 06:53 on Mar 28, 2018

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

boner confessor posted:

my kid told me one morning she wanted to watch "dinosaur trucks" and i was like there's no way that's a thing and sure enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud_gLdgJJAQ

yeah the us army had no problems at all just hunting native americans down and shooting them to death so im not sure what the smallpox blankets were supposed to achieve

they did understand it and biological warfare of this type was common enough in the middle ages and early modern period. iirc there's documented proof the british tried it before the revolution

they didn't know exactly what was up with germs but they figured out pretty quickly that contact with diseased material spread some diseases

A friend works on that show and when I told my 7 year old nephew he called me a liar. Then I introduced him to my friend who proceeded to do a sketch of the entire cast and it was like he'd seen the face of God.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sexpig by night posted:

I was listening to a Simpsons podcast about the episode where Sideshow Bob stole a nuke and forgot that in the 90's jokes about the US military being dumb and useless were incredibly common.

Because haha what, are we gonna get in ANOTHER massive war, after Vietnam hosed so much up? Hahaha. Those guys are just sittin around the base all day getting into stupid hi jinks with nothing to do.

Hahaha guys.

It's funny because forever war.

If GIP is any indication they do exactly that in wartime too, just sometimes in bases in other countries between getting blown up

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

AnoHito posted:

I will try to inocculate [sic] the Indians by means of Blankets that may fall in their hands, taking care however not to get the disease myself. As it is pity to oppose good men against them, I wish we could make use of the Spaniard's Method, and hunt them with English Dogs. Supported by Rangers, and some Light Horse, who would I think effectively extirpate or remove that Vermine.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AnoHito posted:

The black death is thought to have started because mongol warriors threw corpses into a fortress.
In one of the viking sagas it's described how a fortress was won by tossing a corpse down the well of that fortress.
People knew that corpses of people that have died of diseases and dung caused people to be sick even if they didn't know why.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Alhazred posted:

The black death is thought to have started because mongol warriors threw corpses into a fortress.
In one of the viking sagas it's described how a fortress was won by tossing a corpse down the well of that fortress.
People knew that corpses of people that have died of diseases and dung caused people to be sick even if they didn't know why.

It's all in the humors; blood, yellow bile, black bile, and phlegm. :eng101:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mooseontheloose posted:

Don't they also have their hands come out of human stomachs or something?

I can't remember, but at some point I did get a copy of the novelization of the pilot episode from an outlet mall. I didn't read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

It's all in the humors; blood, yellow bile, black bile, and phlegm. :eng101:

For a long time people thought that if something smelt bad it spread disease (malaria means bad air). This lead to the sewer in London being renovated because of the "big stink" which was both unbearable and thought to cause people being sick.