Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I remember one of my professors saying that some people have advocated for engineering degrees to take 5 years instead of 4. I've never heard of that outside of that professor so I'm not sure if it's BS, but after going through a pretty tough engineering program it makes sense why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

It took me 8 years to do a 5 year degree (BSc + MSc) and this should be fine and encouraged especially if you have to have a real job on the side. Smoke a weed and take it easy because even if you are a slower not so bright person like me, it does not mean you will never grasp the complex stuff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

I remember one of my professors saying that some people have advocated for engineering degrees to take 5 years instead of 4. I've never heard of that outside of that professor so I'm not sure if it's BS, but after going through a pretty tough engineering program it makes sense why.

at my school this was because the engineering degrees had around the max number of credit hours due to having to meet university and abet requirements. especially if you did not come in already with ap calc 5 years was really more realistic

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

ThePeavstenator posted:

ca universities remove certain ge requirements for engineering students which might be the application of this.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

you guys went to class? lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i have a 30 minute "technical" call this week, this is supposed to be the final barrier before onsite interview

i cant find a single interview review on glassdoor with actual tech questions, its all stuff like "how would you explain X to your grandparents" or "tell me about a time you hosed up"

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Valeyard posted:

"tell me about a time you hosed up"
it's amazon, right?

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Valeyard posted:

"how would you explain X to your grandparents"

for real i find questions like this to be pretty offensive because it assumes they have poo brain
and you know they wouldn't take "well gram gram used to work on X when it was called Y so i wouldn't really have to tell her much" as an aswer

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

ThePeavstenator posted:

Engineering degree is 5 years over here by default, with the recommended duration being 5.5 :v:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hey buddy, look. if we're old friends, and are chatting, and you complain about your job, and i'm like i can get you a job cause we're hiring, send me a resume. then you do, and then you chat with our recruiter, and then you ghost both them and me leaving me to kinda go uuuh what, i am going to be less than amused and not think highly of your professional ability and consider that maybe you deserve the underpaid shithole you are in.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Diva Cupcake posted:

it's amazon, right?

nope, opposite end of the scale, ,much smaller company

although that same was asked to me last week by another place

maybe i just look like a gently caress up

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaman Linavi posted:

for real i find questions like this to be pretty offensive because it assumes they have poo brain
and you know they wouldn't take "well gram gram used to work on X when it was called Y so i wouldn't really have to tell her much" as an aswer

the bastraction required to explain this to gram gram makes it lose all meaning

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Jfc. I add the words DevOps and spearheading to my LinkedIn and all of a sudden I've got lines of recruiters on my inbox.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

same, i was not prepared. i just got two jobs confused and sent them the wrong emails, woops

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

Jfc. I add the words DevOps and spearheading to my LinkedIn and all of a sudden I've got lines of recruiters on my inbox.

sounds like the opposite of a good thing

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

what is: “(...) my client who emphasises heavily on company culture ...” code for?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Boiled Water posted:

what is: “(...) my client who emphasises heavily on company culture ...” code for?

my client is doesn’t like them “urban youth”

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

my client is doesn’t like them “urban youth”

should have added: it’s in Finland for a job in Helsinki

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

HoboMan posted:

same, i was not prepared. i just got two jobs confused and sent them the wrong emails, woops

I sent a resume with some spelling mistakes to one of them lol. Welp.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Boiled Water posted:

lots of "voluntary" extra curricular events

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you will be paid peanuts to work 65 hours a week but wooooowwww free beer every fourth friday

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

we value work life balance! why, if you have a doctor’s appointment at 4, you can come in at 8! now let’s talk overtime and how you’re not getting any

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
lol i loving hate looking for jobs

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Boiled Water posted:

could mean that the boss is an intolerant jerk or a puppetmaster but you won't know if you don't ask them what they mean by it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Gazpacho posted:

could mean that the boss is an intolerant jerk or a puppetmaster but you won't know if you don't ask them what they mean by it

it’s a recruiter posting on behalf of some company with A Culture in Helsinki. don’t want to attempt a run down that rabbit hole.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

It probably means nothing. Just like lovely real estate listings use meaningless unverifiable adjectives ("cute", "stunning"), boring companies that have nothing to offer need SOMETHING to talk about in their job ads

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
ofc when I throw a bunch of resumes the first hiring manager that wants a phone screen is the one for the job I least want

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

job postings are an adverse selection problem just like job candidates -- the worst jobs go unfilled the longest

• a dude who wants to pay someone $10/hour to work on wordpress is gonna have an opening for a looooooong time.

• windows shops are universally horrible. every single one of them. in every way. low pay, bad management, insipid livestock for coworkers

edit: additionally, if you don't live in a "hot" area for software, most of the software jobs are gonna be pretty horrible. that's normal. don't get too depressed about it. there are probably good jobs hiding, you just gotta be persistent.

dragon enthusiast posted:

ofc when I throw a bunch of resumes the first hiring manager that wants a phone screen is the one for the job I least want

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

so i send an email to a jobs@company.com with a link to my linkedin and blurb about how the position sounds interesting

the ceo (who is also their cta) emails me back asking for a resume :eng99:

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
HR Director at one if the places trying to poach me:
"we want to attract people who are a natural fit for our team centric culture and not by being the company with the fattest paychecks."

who doesn't love the prospect of being underpaid and forced to take part in "fun team activities like yoga and soulcycling" off the clock.

Yes it was "a start-up", why do you ask?
although I'm not sure that's what you'd call a company with a 98% majority holding company that's a hundred years old.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
luv 2 pay my rent w/culture

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Media Bloodbath posted:

HR Director at one if the places trying to poach me:
"we want to attract people who are a natural fit for our team centric culture and not by being the company with the fattest paychecks."

barf. tell me more about how wanting to get paid is shameful, employers.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
embrace the future of wages paid out via cultural scrip

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've got phone technical interview tomrrow with startup A, and video technical/culture interview on Friday with startup B

A lot more prepared for B, mainly because their glass door is pretty comprehensive

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm still not sure how I feel about leaving one of the biggest companies to work at a "startup" (they are both quite mature, too late to get any kind of equity but they aren't likely to go under anytime soon)

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

what questions should i ask on a phone screen vs a full interview?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

HoboMan posted:

what questions should i ask on a phone screen vs a full interview?
1. are you a cop?
2. seriously, you have to tell me if youre a cop. its the law

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jony neuemonic posted:

barf. tell me more about how wanting to get paid is shameful, employers.
see also: that infamous rogue brewing job listing

ive come around to appreciating when employers tell me up front theyre going to shaft me on compensation and smile while they do it. makes it easy to cut the conversation short and move on to the next prospect

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
how acceptable of an answer is "I'm looking for a new job because my current job is in a backwater shithole and I want to move to civilization"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

dragon enthusiast posted:

how acceptable of an answer is "I'm looking for a new job because my current job is in a backwater shithole and I want to move to civilization"

very if you phrase it differently.