Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Aside from the reapers and a couple other assholish creatures, most hostile creatures you run across in Subnautica really do want you to just get the gently caress off their lawn. Or are hungry. It's not like in Minecraft where once the monster spots you, it's going to follow you until one of you is dead.

Also I just started a new save for shits and giggles and got down in a couple of hours what it took me a whole week on my first run. I'm trying to disable the Quarantine Enforcement Platform before the Sunbeam arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Spent my entire multi-hour play session last night doing just the few more things I wanted to do before going out to the distress signal I just received on the radio (collecting materials, making the reinforced dive suit, making the cyclops engine efficiency, gathering enough materials to have a pre-packaged base-in-a-box I can throw down for power cell chargers, then shifting everything over to the cyclops from my previous home). Then on my way to the signal I passed by the Aurora and discovered the way inside which I had completely missed in all my previous visits. So now I have a Prawn suit blueprint and a bunch of Prawn suit upgrades to make. I'm coming distress signal...slowly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not much you can do against a Reaper in a Cyclops, huh? I can make the decoy missile things but that seems to be about it? Had one chomping on my tail for a bit, fixing a cyclops is definitely a different experience from a prawn or seamoth.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
As far as retaliation, no. If you want him to leave you alone though, you can turn off the engine and they'll forget the cyclops is there.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Not much you can do against a Reaper in a Cyclops, huh? I can make the decoy missile things but that seems to be about it? Had one chomping on my tail for a bit, fixing a cyclops is definitely a different experience from a prawn or seamoth.

The trick to dealing with Leviathans in the Cyclops is to make like a hole in the water. Kill the engine and floodlights, and let go of the helm the moment they turn red. They'll attack only once and then lose interest; then you can wait for them to move away before powering back up.

If you jam it into flank speed and try to run, they'll get in three or four good hits before giving up the chase. They don't want to eat you, they just want you to go away and stop making so much drat noise.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 28, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Reapers seem much more aggressive. When I step away from the helm they keep attacking. Ghosts and Sea Dragons lose interest, reapers are in it to the bitter loving end

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Reapers seem much more aggressive. When I step away from the helm they keep attacking. Ghosts and Sea Dragons lose interest, reapers are in it to the bitter loving end

You have to actually hit the engine shutdown button on the left side. I think you have to kill the lights too for them to leave you alone.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Only the external floodlights, they dun care about the interior lighting.

Lights attract everything, no matter the activity or vehicle. Good idea to turn them off whenever you don't absolutely need'um

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 28, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Do the electric eels actually do anything to your cyclops? They rate a warning on the rader but my cyclops' health was always barely effected by them throwing themselves against it. Do they drain energy maybe? That never seemed very effected by them either.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They do damage the seamoth. I don't know if they can damage the cyclops though.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
they recharge you (when they hit you)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just got my prawn suit. A few questions:

Can you install mods for it at the moonpool? No matter how I move the mouse all I ever get is "enter prawn"
Am I right in thinking the Cyclops can't carry both the Seamoth and the Prawn Suit? That would kind of suck since they're so wildly different, and the Seamoth is way more convenient in locations that they both have the depth for because obeying gravity sucks

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can't do anything to the prawn in the moonpool. You can add mods and access storage both while it is in the water and in the cyclops.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

Just got my prawn suit. A few questions:

Can you install mods for it at the moonpool? No matter how I move the mouse all I ever get is "enter prawn"
Am I right in thinking the Cyclops can't carry both the Seamoth and the Prawn Suit? That would kind of suck since they're so wildly different, and the Seamoth is way more convenient in locations that they both have the depth for because obeying gravity sucks
No Moonpool access to your Prawn's anything at all has been the eternal situation, unfortunately.

The Cyclops these days at least has a console that allows you to access it's mods and inventory, but I think that's still screwy for the Seamoth on that end?

You are correct that the Cyclops can only carry one ride at a time. So enjoy it while you're above that last drop past 900m, and take advantage of how much easier it is to drop beacons for return trips in your slower cyclops or prawn later.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's cool that cosmetic poo poo is considered high priority by the devs, the game definitely doesn't have any gameplay bugs or stability issues or anything.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

It's cool that cosmetic poo poo is considered high priority by the devs, the game definitely doesn't have any gameplay bugs or stability issues or anything.

Hmm, yes. Clearly once they get that sorted, players warping through portals to find the Quarantine Enforcement platform now missing will fall into place.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think I'll just leave my Prawn in the moon pool until I start finding nickel then, no point in using it while it has the same max depth as the seamoth

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

I think I'll just leave my Prawn in the moon pool until I start finding nickel then, no point in using it while it has the same max depth as the seamoth
Well, it can be sorta handy if you find the drill early. Though for lithium and magnetite, I still found going back with the seamoth to jellyshroom town much faster. Or scrap metal.

Prawn does come with default storage 24 space, which is nice. But mod added storage space on the prawn is only a single tile row of 6. While I wish the seamoth had freebie storage, at least you get a nice 4x4 grid that can handle objects like scrap metal, large plant samples, or a gravsphere.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh right I do have the drill arm. Hard decisions for me I guess!

What I really need is to find nickel within the first ~900m or so. I've found one nickel all game but there's a ton of places I haven't been so.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Welp, went ahead and "beat" the game; I had enough mats stockpiled in the Cyclops that building the entire Neptune was about a five minute process of running back and forth to grab stuff for each next stage. I guess now I go back to my last save and work on building the most opulent, luxurious sea fortress ever imagined. Or see if I have the patience to try Survival mode for the long haul.

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh right I do have the drill arm. Hard decisions for me I guess!

What I really need is to find nickel within the first ~900m or so. I've found one nickel all game but there's a ton of places I haven't been so.

Building a scanner room near one of the deep cave entrances and setting it to nickel was pretty helpful. Once you get the first depth module for the Prawn you can run around to find nickel deposits and fill up on all the nickel you can ever want.

I do kind of wish the Seamoth could be upgraded to do everything you need. That little thing is awesome.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
My massive open view zoo has devoured all my quartz.

Worth it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Does your base slowly fall apart if you're not near it or something? I returned to my main base after a long voyage in the cyclops and it was full of water with breaches everywhere despite having 20+ hull strength available.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Captain Invictus posted:

Does your base slowly fall apart if you're not near it or something? I returned to my main base after a long voyage in the cyclops and it was full of water with breaches everywhere despite having 20+ hull strength available.

You might have accidentally bumped it with your cyclops when you left. I did that a couple times.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Trying to navigate with the Cyclops into a spot where the equally unwieldy Prawn can do its thing is so miserable compared to having a moonpool and taking the Seamoth out. I'll give it another shot tomorrow but if I still feel the same way I might look into mods that add seamoth depth modules mk4 and 5. Ideally they'd cost the same as the Prawn depth modules and give the same depths--not trying to cheat the economy, just the driving.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I just use the prawn for everything. Walkin around caves. Fuckin stuff up. Took it all the way through Lost River down to the lava zone that requires that blue keycard. Just stomping around the ocean not givin' a gently caress.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The prawn is hella cool and good fun, but something about being firmly anchored to the ground really ruined the feeling of going deep for me. It was pretty good skirting around the deeper holes before I got my depths modules though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The prawn suit definitely needs at least one grapple arm before it becomes any fun to use

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Swing around like underwater Spider-Man. Can you dual-wield grapple arms?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Trying to navigate with the Cyclops into a spot where the equally unwieldy Prawn can do its thing is so miserable compared to having a moonpool and taking the Seamoth out. I'll give it another shot tomorrow but if I still feel the same way I might look into mods that add seamoth depth modules mk4 and 5. Ideally they'd cost the same as the Prawn depth modules and give the same depths--not trying to cheat the economy, just the driving.

The Prawn becomes a lot more maneuverable and fun to use once you find a grappler arm and a jump jet booster. I loved the feeling of being this armored steel god striding over the ocean floor.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Inescapable Duck posted:

Yup.

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_53W_nHEk

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Drake_263 posted:

The Prawn becomes a lot more maneuverable and fun to use once you find a grappler arm and a jump jet booster. I loved the feeling of being this armored steel god striding over the ocean floor.

Well I have the jump jet blueprint but not the ingredients. Haven't found the grapple arm yet though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ahahahahaha, this is incredible. Alright, guess I gotta find a grapple arm.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Well I have the jump jet blueprint but not the ingredients. Haven't found the grapple arm yet though

Grapple arm: There's a big chunk of wreckage that's sort of caught between the walls of the blood kelp rift, IIRC there were two of almost every arm in that thing. Also a bunch in the wreck in the underwater island zone.
Crystalline sulfur and nickel can be found in the Lost River/bone caves, which can also be conveniently accessed through a cave in the blood kelp rift.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Yes. Yes you can.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

With thermal reactors, it seems like you could possibly make a reasonable base otherwise solely out of a Moonpool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do like that mid-sized creatures, including Warpers, won't mess with a Cyclops. I presume they figure it's a Leviathan-class lifeform not to be hosed with. Does make me wonder, given Reapers can get the infection, will Warpers try to kill them when they do?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Or see if I have the patience to try Survival mode for the long haul.

survival mode basically lasts for a couple of hours and then it's just Subnautica, incidentally. food and water are negated entirely by marblemelons

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why the gently caress is there no autosave. The game locked up and I was forced to end task it, losing a half hour of base building.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Drake_263 posted:

Grapple arm: There's a big chunk of wreckage that's sort of caught between the walls of the blood kelp rift, IIRC there were two of almost every arm in that thing. Also a bunch in the wreck in the underwater island zone.
Crystalline sulfur and nickel can be found in the Lost River/bone caves, which can also be conveniently accessed through a cave in the blood kelp rift.

Thanks, I haven't moused over this spoiler yet but if I get frustrated again tonight I'll do that before installing mods.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captain Invictus posted:

Why the gently caress is there no autosave. The game locked up and I was forced to end task it, losing a half hour of base building.

Given how long it takes to save it would probably run like garbage if there was an autosave.

This game is not well optimized!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not sure I've ever seen a modern game with a worse draw distance