Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!
Anyone else have weird glitches like this playing 360 games on the S?

Happens whenever i get an achievement or an old-style 360 notification, and BOY does it make trying to play Skate 3 fun when it happens. I thought it might be a bad HDMI cable, but I just noticed it does it when it's streaming to my PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nope, but i do find the 360 emulation to have some bugs in a lot of games. There was so much motion blur or ghosting or idk what on S in fable 2 vs original hardware it was almost hard to look at when rotating the camera

TenTwelveTwelve
Oct 12, 2012
Recently played Vanquish and while the gameplay itself was fine, I would get tearing on the top during some cinematics.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For as much poo poo as I’ve given PUBG they have really immensely improved it over the last month. It’s like night and day compared to what it was a couple of months ago. Still has a lot of jank and some laughably bad poo poo but it’s actually fun to play now.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Dpulex posted:

Burnout is awesome.

Also, microsoft needs to fix their loving bullshit. I can't cancel an update without deleting the game. What the gently caress, why is this a feature? ffs

I discovered this with Forza Motorsport 7. Yeeeeaaaaah. There's no "Are you sure?" prompt either, just straight up punishment for daring to cancel an update.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This game has some kickin rad jumps

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Nutsak posted:

I discovered this with Forza Motorsport 7. Yeeeeaaaaah. There's no "Are you sure?" prompt either, just straight up punishment for daring to cancel an update.

When you cancel an update for a DLC/expansion it says that this will delete the expansion from the disk and give you an option to cancel. Pretty weird this check wouldn't exist when cancelling a base game update.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I bit the bullet and installed Fortnite. I have to say, I think I enjoy it more than PUBG.

It's just all around better. Better gameplay, better performance, better visuals. The games are shorter and more action packed, and it's just cleaner to look at. Having a functioning ecosystem with challenges and rewards is pretty nice.

I'm not done with PUBG, but I really have to be in the mood to play it. PUBG really winds me up. If I've had a stressful work day the last thing I want to do crank up my blood pressure with a few rounds of PUBG.

I just don't get worked up about Fortnite, and that makes it way more enjoyable to me.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

TjyvTompa posted:

When you cancel an update for a DLC/expansion it says that this will delete the expansion from the disk and give you an option to cancel. Pretty weird this check wouldn't exist when cancelling a base game update.

I feel like this is some artifact/glitch from the original plan of Xbox being an always online console.

Why would anyone want to delete/stop updates is what they were thinking.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Just lol if you aren’t still running version 1.0012 of Destiny for those mad rep gains.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Beastie posted:

I bit the bullet and installed Fortnite. I have to say, I think I enjoy it more than PUBG.

It's just all around better. Better gameplay, better performance, better visuals. The games are shorter and more action packed, and it's just cleaner to look at. Having a functioning ecosystem with challenges and rewards is pretty nice.

I'm not done with PUBG, but I really have to be in the mood to play it. PUBG really winds me up. If I've had a stressful work day the last thing I want to do crank up my blood pressure with a few rounds of PUBG.

I just don't get worked up about Fortnite, and that makes it way more enjoyable to me.

Fortnite has a really cool meta game that PUBG is missing. If they would just add a first person mode, I'd be sold on Fortnite.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fortnite hasn't clicked for me at all. Aside from the fact that I literally hate looking at it, like I can't think of a game with an art style I dislike more, the building stuff has zero appeal for me and one of the biggest draws with PUBG for me is the tactical shooter shell and dicking around with gun customization, and yes even the stress in some weird way.

There is something about Fortnite that is just so stupid I can't get past it. The battle royale concept isn't enough for me to get by on alone. PUBG isn't a good game but it ticks a lot of my nerd boxes off.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Fortnite is fun, but there is definitely a learning curve regarding the building in combat situations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Ineffiable posted:

I feel like this is some artifact/glitch from the original plan of Xbox being an always online console.

Why would anyone want to delete/stop updates is what they were thinking.

I have to be honest, I did not believe that it was the case that it deleted the game without asking if you cancelled a game update since it doesn't do that when cancelling an update for a DLC. But I tested it last night and it is true, if you cancel a game update it straight up deletes the game without any prompt.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Does it actually delete it completely? If you try to reinstall it does it start over completely?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Akuma posted:

Does it actually delete it completely? If you try to reinstall it does it start over completely?

Good question, I only waited like 1 minute before cancelling it and I never checked if it resumed or started all over. All I actually noticed was that it immediately cancelled without any prompt while doing the same for DLC gives you a prompt that says that cancelling the update/installation will delete it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder if it’s a weird holdover from way back when you couldn’t manage your storage at all; you “didn’t have to worry” about deleting things because it did it for you based on usage and available space. It didn’t take long before they realised that’s not what people want but I wonder if some stuff from that remains.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In a country the that doesn't count 1Mbit/s as broadband, that might work

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

In a country the that doesn't count 1Mbit/s as broadband, that might work

Which country do you think you're referring to here?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Adaptabullshit posted:

Fortnite is fun, but there is definitely a learning curve regarding the building in combat situations.

The key is to panic build. Getting shot at? Just throw up some walls to protect yourself.

That and build some stairs to shoot someone. Don’t engage at ground level. If you see someone, build like 4 staircases and attack them from above.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

Which country do you think you're referring to here?

The United States.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

The United States.

The US defines broadband as at least 25 megabit down since 2010 or so. Before that, it had been 4 megabit down since 2004.

It's why all the big DSL providers like to say "high speed internet" in ads for a while, cuz all you need to do for that is be faster than dial up.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

The US defines broadband as at least 25 megabit down since 2010 or so. Before that, it had been 4 megabit down since 2004.

It's why all the big DSL providers like to say "high speed internet" in ads for a while, cuz all you need to do for that is be faster than dial up.

In 2011, the FCC declared that rural service needed to offer at least 4Mbps down and 1Mbps up. In 2014 the FCC bumped that to 10/1, and in 2015 to 25/3.

Before that everything faster than dial-up was considered to be "broadband"

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Fame Douglas posted:

In 2011, the FCC declared that rural service needed to offer at least 4Mbps down and 1Mbps up. In 2014 the FCC bumped that to 10/1, and in 2015 to 25/3.

Before that everything faster than dial-up was considered to be "broadband"
Which still doesn't change that most places you have at most a choice of one cable company or slow rear end DSL, but now they just have to call it "internet" instead of "broadband"

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Purchased an Xbone at launch but couldn't have sold it quicker after trying to come to terms with the interface. Have now joined the Xbox crew again for Xbox Game Pass Play Anywhere on the Microsoft Store on Windows 10 (christ) to try and play Gears on PC, this may be a stupid question, how do I find out on my PC without opening Microsoft's website which games can be played on PC using Play Anywhere/Game Pass? I may be missing something but so far the same issue I had back in 2013, I feel like I'm fighting against the UI.

Logic would lead you to think you can click on the 'Play Anywhere' logo that appears when looking at an applicable game on the Microsoft store... however it's not actually a link! :doh:

Next step? Check the Xbox app on Windows 10 PC, where there's a Microsoft Store tab, and.. success!? an option for Xbox Game Pass, however this shows all games that are on Game Pass, and doesn't filter to games that you can actually play on the device you are currently using.

Am I poo poo out of luck and need to rely on cross referencing against Microsoft's website? From what I can tell these are the games that are currently playable on PC using this service, I have no idea if this is all the titles or not.

Gears 4
Sea of Thieves
Halo Wars Definitive Edition
Super Lucky's Tale
Zoo Tycoon
Riptide
Halo Wars 2
ReCore

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Gears 4 is currently broken for me and alot of people on PC. After a windows update or nvidia driver update it broke something with Gears and neither party seems to know what's wrong. It causes crashes without fail while playing. You might get lucky and not get them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Is there an Xbox pubg thread?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Can you not get achievements in the game pass free trial or something? I've done things in Sea of Thieves that I've seen people get achievements for on youtube but I don't have them.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Can you not get achievements in the game pass free trial or something? I've done things in Sea of Thieves that I've seen people get achievements for on youtube but I don't have them.

You absolutely can get achievements in the trial period; something else must be going on.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The dev's mentioned they had to temporarily suspend chivo's as it was adding to launch day issues. I have yet to pop a single one :saddowns:

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Nuts and Gum posted:

The dev's mentioned they had to temporarily suspend chivo's as it was adding to launch day issues. I have yet to pop a single one :saddowns:

Oh so that's why me and a nice group of people I was with didn't get the "your crew plays instrument while the galleon sinks" one when we went Out of Bounds the other day.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

e.pilot posted:

Is there an Xbox pubg thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844851

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Nuts and Gum posted:

Are they doing it where the game will recognize it and pop an achievement for us later on once it's turned back on?

Or we would have to re earn the achievement after the functionality is back?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hello X-Box fans, Hellblade is getting a digital release on the Bone/Bonx on April 11th!

https://twitter.com/NinjaTheory/status/977945541228290048

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Highly recommended.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

What the gently caress. Second time was a charm I guess?
http://xboxclips.com/MeatBishop/9b8ff598-399f-4403-9bc4-571a60488ed1

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Lol that's the best part of TR is making the explosives and hurling them at the idiot AI. Very satisfying for some reason, I'm sure some nutcase has done a playthrough without firing a weapon or bow haha.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

April games with gold:

https://majornelson.com/2018/03/28/xbox-live-games-with-gold-for-april-2018/

Xbox One:

The Witness
rear end Creed: Syndicate

Xbox 360:

Cars 2
Dead Space 2

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/979010478721642496?s=21

Solid month next month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its still very funny to me how they advertise the gamer score