Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
banning for dev-introduced exploits is always a dodgy proposition. i remember in eso they banned a few people for gapclosing into keeps, which was literally accomplished by just 'using an ability on a guy on a wall'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

banning for dev-introduced exploits is always a dodgy proposition. i remember in eso they banned a few people for gapclosing into keeps, which was literally accomplished by just 'using an ability on a guy on a wall'.

While true, if you're using a glitch to go invisible every single round, that's pretty cut and dry imo.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
stop reporting players u nerds!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thief posted:

stop reporting players u nerds!

no

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

everyone posted:

Jackal talk

Now I don't mean to potentially stir the pot more, (especially as Jack Trades seems to have done so already, on this topic! :D ) but personally I'm of the probably-unpopular opinion that they need to alter Jackal's ability more significantly. I think him looking down at someone's footprints and then going "hmm, well if my calculations are correct, the person who made these footprints minutes ago must be right over THERE at the other end of the building" is completely stupid.
If I had the power to make Ubisoft change him up, (which I don't, but stay with me here) I would leave his passive ability as-is, but make it so that when he uses his active ability he doesn't find out where the enemy is for a short duration, or any of that rubbish. Instead I think it should permanently (well, until he selects another set of prints and/or raises his visor) highlight that person's set of tracks for him across the map in red or something obvious, with the tracks being brighter/dimmer depending on how 'fresh' they are. (Also, the defender would not receive a notification that they're being tracked, naturally)

This might seem a bit underpowered I guess, but it's at least less silly than magically knowing where the enemy is! Additionally, it could encourage tactics where roamers walk backwards when moving from the objective room and traps to try and fool him, haha (Plus if that version of Jackal is a success, they could release a defender who has shoes with backwards soles and/or a defender with a palm frond, who can clear/sweep footprints from an area) :v:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Sorry, I can't read your post on account of the fact that I just made a perfect man-sized hole in the wall with a single sledgehammer swing that I stored in an interdimensional pocket when not in use and I'm now jumping through that hole while I'm hopped up on blood nanite bots and I'm also throwing an EMP grenade that exists on a part of the electromagnetic spectrum that doesn't effect any of my teammate's equipments. Cheers.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Sorry, I can't read your post on account of the fact that I just made a perfect man-sized hole in the wall with a single sledgehammer swing that I stored in an interdimensional pocket when not in use and I'm now jumping through that hole while I'm hopped up on blood nanite bots and I'm also throwing an EMP grenade that exists on a part of the electromagnetic spectrum that doesn't effect any of my teammate's equipments. Cheers.

Dude, he keeps the hammer on his back with a big-rear end magnet, it's on his third person model.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Don't forget the sniper with a thermal scope that can tell the difference between friend, foe and hostage. After you kill the person on the other team that can magically go almost completely silent while running, the lady with invincible mirrors that can just bore through a typically unbreachable wall, or JACK ESTRADA and his "That's an enemy, friends don't have heart beats" device.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kikas posted:

Dude, he keeps the hammer on his back with a big-rear end magnet, it's on his third person model.

Ah, that explains the small delay when he pulls it out and makes that aforementioned man-sized hole with a single swing.

Sledge, if you're reading this: please come to my house and help me demo my kitchen. Pay is good and I will handle all debris clean-up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Let me just quickly interrogate this person and have them tell me the exact position of four other people for the next 10 seconds in the future.

Siege really doesn't need to be realistic.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Well hey, I agree that all of these things are dumb*, but I think Jackal is among the worst offenders in the game, in that regard. The nanite thing is just as bad, but I'm not complaining about Thatcher, honestly. It would be 'better' to have it so that it shorts out all gadgets, but if they had it set so that Thatcher's gadget does that, I think it would simply result in Thermite and Fuze players pulling their hair out after losing their gadgets and/or Thatcher being teamkilled at round start! :D (Also, on the topic of gadgets I'm just glad that Lesion's mines aren't completely invisible anymore, personally)

* Well, aside from the "sledgehammer in inter-dimensional pocket" thing, since isn't it in plain sight on his back when it's not in use? Could be wrong though, I guess; it's actually been a while since a team mate used Sledge.

EDIT: Oh boy, this is becoming good, hahaha :D Also:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Don't forget the sniper with a thermal scope that can tell the difference between friend, foe and hostage. [...] or JACK ESTRADA and his "That's an enemy, friends don't have heart beats" device.

Major Isoor (on previous page) posted:

Also, as a side-note, is it just me who thinks that everybody should be highlighted yellow in Glaz's scope, not just hostiles? It wouldn't matter much for good Glaz players, but it'll mean that there are a lot more friendly-fire and hostage-killing, with bad Glaz players! :v:

So yeah, absolutely!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 28, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I don't actually think those things are dumb, neither do I think the game's total unrealistic rappelling is dumb, or the fact that a defender carries an interdimensional pocket of wooden boards that they can turn into a barricade across doors and windows alike in 2 seconds is dumb, or the fact that every building in the world runs metal girders north-south under the floor is dumb, anything else really. It's such a bizarre thing to care about.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jackal owns

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

or the fact that every building in the world runs metal girders north-south under the floor

It's actually north-south on every map?
I do a lot of floor breaching with Fuze and Jackal so if that's actually true then it'd be a real useful thing to know.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Everywhere except the lobby to House, apparently.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

saving scans for the later half of a round owns

when you're breaching far side and hunting roamers i've always thought jackals ability was cool because very few players bother to do the shining maze trick where you walk backwards or take advantage of cav's silent step for misdirection. scanning during this time doesn't pay off nearly as much

in fact, a constant and predictable ping seems to get casual attackers killed more often than not because they don't account for a simple sidestep camp but it is excellent during stuff like the planted defuser phase or situations where they would want to rotate

as it is jackal's ability is alright and cav's counter is a double edged sword because it forces her to burn her ability which can be annoying when you are setting up an ambush.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

My favourite unrealistic ability is that when your leg gets snapped shut in a trap (that isn't bladed, I think?), you just tell your team that you are kinda tired and would like to take a minute to chill out on the floor. Shooting while lying down would be too hard. Also I really wish Frost had impact grenades to kill people in traps around corners. :mad:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Frost's traps are coated in bone hurting juice and operators are in too much pain to do anything until freed

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Actually all the operators just have really good reflexes so when they step on the trap, they drop their gun and use both hands to hold it open, but not too open because they're not that strong.

It's why you can stand up just fine once a friend helps you out and can't shoot while on the floor.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Dropshotting has been nerfed on the TTS. RIP.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Javes posted:

Dropshotting has been nerfed on the TTS. RIP.

How did they nerf it?

Also, it's about loving time.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Jack Trades posted:

How did they nerf it?

Also, it's about loving time.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlainMiniatureAlmondDuDudu

Takes you out of ADS

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hooray!

tjones
May 13, 2005
This is s step in the right direction. Good job, Ubi.

Now we'll need to wait and see what all this breaks and how long it will take Ubi to fix it without breaking even more poo poo.

One day we'll be out of beta, boys.

Javes
May 6, 2012

To be fair, dropshotting isn't a glitch or bug. It was a feature that was working as intended and it was a design decision to change it.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

:negative:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

tfw you get when dropshotted will never be felt again

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Good loving riddance

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

it's gonna be cool getting a single kill like that then telling them its because you have a laser attachment and they'll believe you

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Has anyone else had experiences with the servers being a bit unstable? I've gotten a lot of yellow and a smattering of red connection warnings every night that I play.

Javes posted:

To be fair, dropshotting isn't a glitch or bug. It was a feature that was working as intended and it was a design decision to change it.

It might surprise you to find out that sometimes players use features in ways that the designers didn't intend or account for.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 28, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone else had experiences with the servers being a bit unstable? I've gotten a lot of yellow and a smattering of red connection warnings every night that I play.

Yeah, it's been like that since Operation Chimera launched.
Servers are getting assblasted by all the new players probably.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The all time peak in players was set 18 days ago so yeah maybe.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

It might surprise you to find out that sometimes players use features in ways that the designers didn't intend or account for.

Javes is just mad because he literally can't not dropshot every time he pulls the trigger.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS47iuXaTyE

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de2dZk5GstQ

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Discord down?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

no, try this: https://discord.gg/HQKZaYN

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Guys...please come back.....resist the lure of Far Cry 5....I can't solo queue

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Guys...please come back.....resist the lure of Far Cry 5....I can't solo queue

Sorry, FC5 Arcade is the new Siege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

is the sound as good? because otherwise Siege still holds a monopoly on that which is one of the biggest reasons it made me forget about the other FPS games i got