Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The General posted:

Are they getting mad at people bringing them dishes, or stacking them with all the skills of a toddler?

I really hate it when servers put plates of the same size/shape beside each other, then build rickety towers of misshaped dishes I have to slowly disassemble else I drop everything on the floor.

No, it's explicitly over being given more work to do. Everyone who brings me stuff is actually way too polite about where they put poo poo, I'll have a bunch of space open for dirty dishes and they'll bring me like one plate and be like 'where do you want me to put this'? :rolleyes: I appreciate them being polite, it's just, like, c'mon, just throw the poo poo anywhere, I'll get it.

e: just not IN the sinks or clean zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Brute Squad posted:

Crosspost from the OSHA thread.

"... well the good news is New Guy put enough sternos in there"

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Living wage in Austin for a single adult is $11.87, and it drops to $9 for 2 working adults, so yes then. Our J1s are fantastic people, getting paid very well as international students, and many will get sponsored for work visas, or be able to continue working at a Fairmont in their home country in a low level management position.

The living wage in Austin hasn't been under 12/hr since the turn of the century.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven't been to Austin since I was a kid decades ago so I can't comment specifically. And my understanding of how expensive the rest of the country is definitely limited since I live in a top ten most expensive city and work in a top three most expensive, but I am happy that both where I live and where I work if you paid someone only 11 dollars an hour to do anything you'd be committing a crime.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I haven't been to Austin since I was a kid decades ago so I can't comment specifically. And my understanding of how expensive the rest of the country is definitely limited since I live in a top ten most expensive city and work in a top three most expensive, but I am happy that both where I live and where I work if you paid someone only 11 dollars an hour to do anything you'd be committing a crime.

$15 an hour in Austin can get you a comfortable life where a fender bender could send you to the streets.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

$15 an hour in Austin can get you a comfortable life where a fender bender could send you to the streets.

So it is like the SF Bay Area.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nope. That doesn't happen. You get in as a Windows admin, you express interest in the mainframe to the old mainframe guys and they adopt you. Sooner or later they convince someone to move you over and learn because they are going to die soon.

and the windows admin position starts at like 237k right

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mindphlux posted:

Pffffft.

You're competing with outsourcing from India and Bangladesh via Tata and company. Windows admins are dime a dozen. $60k or so starting.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The living wage in Austin hasn't been under 12/hr since the turn of the century.

Thanks for letting me know, guess I didn't actually manage to live off $10/hr or less from 2007 to 2011.

I'm not really getting the mindset here, is everyone suddenly entitled to $15+ an hour upon turning 18? Should I be paying someone with zero experience the same as someone with 3-5 years? Sure would be nice for everyone to be able to live alone with excess income as soon as their careers begin, but that isn't the reality we live in.

I do my best to make sure everyone gets paid as well as they can, and that I do as much as I can to set them up for success in their careers. Until there's some actual labor reform in this country, that's the best I can do. Or I can post on an internet forum about how people should get paid more without any actual solution to offset the 50%+ increase in labor.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
No dude the guy who you pay to train for a year at a net productivity loss should make as much as a sous chef whose been working for a decade.

#argugreement

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks for letting me know, guess I didn't actually manage to live off $10/hr or less from 2007 to 2011.

I'm not really getting the mindset here, is everyone suddenly entitled to $15+ an hour upon turning 18?

Yes dude

quote:

Should I be paying someone with zero experience the same as someone with 3-5 years? Sure would be nice for everyone to be able to live alone with excess income as soon as their careers begin, but that isn't the reality we live in.

Someone with experience should make slightly more, they should BOTH make a living wage. Just because you're legally allowed to gently caress people over and steal their labor doesn't mean it's morally right to do so. Boggles my loving mind to see people being like 'but do people DESERVE money when they work ?' :smug:

And give me a loving break about there needing to be labor reform before you'll pay people more then the absolute bare minimum you can get away with. We need labor reform because people such as yourself refuse to pay people what they actually are worth and deserve while making up bullshit excuses for why they ~*"SiMpLy CaN't'*~ because ooooooooooh labor laws just won't leeeeet me :(

I'm sure my bosses would claim to me that they simply can't afford to pay me more than 8 dollars an hour, because that extra 100 dollars per paycheck to me would absolutely snap the backbone of the restaurant in 2 and we would close. Totally! Oh man, those labor laws sure are gutting them, meanwhile I hear them discussing how they doubled their targets nearly every other day. Oh yeah totally totally you can't pay me a little more while we're doing 8000, 9000 dollar days. But then when someone who does a great job wants a little money "oh sorry man we're just barely scraping by we just can't afford to gosh that sucks :( :( :("

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 28, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm not really getting the mindset here, is everyone suddenly entitled to $15+ an hour upon turning 18? Should I be paying someone with zero experience the same as someone with 3-5 years? Sure would be nice for everyone to be able to live alone with excess income as soon as their careers begin, but that isn't the reality we live in.

I do my best to make sure everyone gets paid as well as they can, and that I do as much as I can to set them up for success in their careers. Until there's some actual labor reform in this country, that's the best I can do. Or I can post on an internet forum about how people should get paid more without any actual solution to offset the 50%+ increase in labor.

People live off of no money but what they get by picking up cans beside the highway.

That in no way means that 'all the cans you can find in your free time' is an acceptable wage. Nor that someone making $10 an hour in TYOOL 2018 can actually survive literally anything major going wrong in their life.

Does that $10 come with full medical and dental? Short and long term disability? Will they still have a job in six weeks if they break an ankle and can't work?

Just because poo poo didn't go downhill for you does not make your experience universal, and at the end of the day letting mandated minimums stay so far below a living wage means that we all as taxpayers end up subsidizing those business' profits when bad poo poo happens and that employee ends up relying on social services to stay alive. Same as all those Walmart workers famously on food stamps.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 28, 2018

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Just to be clear, I don't have any control over min/max wages. I pay everyone the max I can, because employees that are more financially secure are more productive. But at the end of the day I only have so much labor budgeted. If I pay everyone more, hours are getting cut when it's slow, staff gets less steady paychecks. If I raised menu prices to offset the labor cost, I'll sell less, or may lose out on banquet business because I can't come down to a group's price point.

It isn't as simple as "pay everyone more." If it were, it would have happened already.

And yes, that $10/hr included all benefits, etc.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

It isn't as simple as "pay everyone more." If it were, it would have happened already.

This is one of the dumbest things I've seen. It hasn't happened because corporations lobby against it furiously and convince privileged people like you that nobody actually deserves to be able to eat and afford clothes unless they are in a certain occupation.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 28, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mindphlux posted:

No

Liquid Communism posted:

Pffffft.

You're competing with outsourcing from India and Bangladesh via Tata and company. Windows admins are dime a dozen. $60k or so starting.

Yes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm not really getting the mindset here, is everyone suddenly entitled to $15+ an hour upon turning 18?

Don't be ridiculous, people under 18 should also be paid $15 an hour if they're doing the same job as an adult.

Minimum wage in SF is $14 with no tip offset for FOH wages and that city is famous for having zero restaurants or culinary scene at all.

It's $15 in Seattle (again, with no tip offset) and again that city is famous for every single restaurant closing right after they raised the minimum wage.

The reason $15 comes up a lot is because that's approximately what minimum wage would be if they had stapled it to inflation when it was first introduced as a law.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Just to be clear, I don't have any control over min/max wages. I pay everyone the max I can, because employees that are more financially secure are more productive. But at the end of the day I only have so much labor budgeted. If I pay everyone more, hours are getting cut when it's slow, staff gets less steady paychecks. If I raised menu prices to offset the labor cost, I'll sell less, or may lose out on banquet business because I can't come down to a group's price point.

And yes, that $10/hr included all benefits, etc.

I'd bet money that if you raised every single item on your menu by 50 cents no one would notice. Well like 2 people would because there's always those couple of assholes.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
TIL ITT that it's okay to exploit employees if they are young

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

it actually is, but it seems otherwise thanks to the lasting remnants of TIPS circa 1920s america and lazy/greedy restaurant owners.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

I'd bet money that if you raised every single item on your menu by 50 cents no one would notice. Well like 2 people would because there's always those couple of assholes.

If every cook and dishwasher made $15 here it'd increase daily labor another $10k. Where do we make that? Please, I'd love to know how to make up that difference. Oh, and if every single employee in the hotel made $15, daily labor would increase 80k. Where do we make up that difference?

Of course I know that corporate lobbying etc, etc have shaped the current wage stagnation and inflation issues. But aside from widespread unionization(not going to happen) or actual labor reform, what the hell am I supposed to do? Not like I have the capital to open a restaurant that serves 100% humanely raised, organic, non-GMO, etc, etc food, pay every employee a good wage, and somehow turn a profit so I can put money back into the business and expand.

But no, just go ahead and say "increase menu prices 50 cents" and expect that to fix it.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
*slams fist on table*

I will loving work for $2.75 an hour and gladly hope to God I get good tips and get no benefits and no paid time off and be treated like poo poo but show up everyday on time and do my side work and deal with all the poo poo that comes with the job.

gently caress! :suicide:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Where do we make up that difference?

Elizabethan Error posted:

lazy/greedy restaurant owners.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My place installed uber eats. Guess who the profits from it are going to.

The owner. No one else. More work for the same pay.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

wasn't there something here floating around wrt uber eats not actually bringing in profits? I'll see if I can find it.

Seems to be lots of literature saying the same but the below gives a number that as these apps eat away from pick-up orders the application's partnership fee or w/e cuts into revenue too much for an average restaurant to be profitable.

http://reformingretail.com/index.php/2016/10/19/the-huge-problem-with-online-ordering-that-nobody-talks-about/

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 28, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Yeah, as I said earlier, I make a whopping $9/hr cooking, but it doesn't kill my soul because I genuinely take pride in our food and love my crew. It DOES make me a little bitchy that the owner keeps coming down on my km to cut labor, and then he shows up to work in one of his 17 cars. (I'm not exaggerating, dude actually has warehouse space downtown where he keeps his fleet of cars and bikes)

Today he rode his motorcycle in, and you could eat off those whitewall tires. I'm curious how much he pays his detailers...

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Could always just eat the rich. Literally. Several (two?) people here mentioned training their staff in butchery. Get them some practice on long pig! Food cost on eating a cheapskate patron who hardly tips anyway is pretty much labor only right?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well, this discussion made me be like 'you know what, gently caress it, I'm gonna talk to the bosses about it.'

I met with the prep manager(my immediate manager) and the main owner, and I said 'I'd like to know how I can earn more money. I feel like 8 an hour for the job I do isn't enough, and if it's a question of working hard enough, I think I've already showed out there(the owner nodded yes to this) and if it's because I wash dishes then I'd like to be moved to the line. And if you can't afford to take me off the dishes because I'm so good at it, then it only seems right that I get paid what a line cook does.'

The prep manager really had my back about it too, he didn't have to tbh because the owner completely agreed with everything I said, but I could tell he was ready to argue on my behalf. The owner asked what I thought was fair. I said if you give me 9.50 you'll never hear about it from me again, and he said he didn't think they could go quite that high but to talk to him about it tomorrow morning and we'll have specifics but he wants to make sure I'm taken care of and he agreed that I deserve more.

So I'll be getting a dollar raise.

Miracles do happen :shobon:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

If every cook and dishwasher made $15 here it'd increase daily labor another $10k. Where do we make that? Please, I'd love to know how to make up that difference. Oh, and if every single employee in the hotel made $15, daily labor would increase 80k. Where do we make up that difference?

Of course I know that corporate lobbying etc, etc have shaped the current wage stagnation and inflation issues. But aside from widespread unionization(not going to happen) or actual labor reform, what the hell am I supposed to do? Not like I have the capital to open a restaurant that serves 100% humanely raised, organic, non-GMO, etc, etc food, pay every employee a good wage, and somehow turn a profit so I can put money back into the business and expand.

But no, just go ahead and say "increase menu prices 50 cents" and expect that to fix it.

Actually, around here they fixed it this way: Three links because its good read.
https://www.denverite.com/duo-restaurant-starts-adding-livable-wage-surcharge-kitchen-staff-37972/
http://www.westword.com/restaurants/the-math-behind-duos-new-kitchen-livable-wage-surcharge-9178330

https://denver.eater.com/2017/6/16/15821808/duo-restaurant-denver-no-tips and this one has the letter from the owners about why.

Basically, instead of raising menu prices they add 2% to give the cooks a raise. Off the top of the bill instead of the menu prices. I think the math works out, too.

If you do a 5000$ day that's an extra hundred bucks for the nonsalaried staff; you ballpark between 7-11 people depending on your operation size and that's roughly 9-14$ a head which works out to somewhere between a dollar and two over an 8 hour shift. Obviously, you divvy it up based on hours worked, but that's a good meter stick.
If you change your 'large party automatic gratituity' percentage from 20 to 18% its still the same cost to consumer, even if your servers make a bit less.

But yeah, that's how you cover the wage gap.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Total change of topic:

Any suggestions on getting that kitchen smell out of clothes? I'm inured to it at this point, but my husband said "JD, you REALLY have to wash that coat". Just from hanging up in the kitchen, my army coat I've been wearing all winter indeed reeks of fryer oil. I've already run it thru the wash twice (yay free laundry in my apartment bldg), but it still has a distinct aroma of fried food all up in it.

Fake edit: just saw your post while previewing this one, empty whippet box. Good on you! I'm legit happy for you. :)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

Actually, around here they fixed it this way: Three links because its good read.
https://www.denverite.com/duo-restaurant-starts-adding-livable-wage-surcharge-kitchen-staff-37972/
http://www.westword.com/restaurants/the-math-behind-duos-new-kitchen-livable-wage-surcharge-9178330

https://denver.eater.com/2017/6/16/15821808/duo-restaurant-denver-no-tips and this one has the letter from the owners about why.

Basically, instead of raising menu prices they add 2% to give the cooks a raise. Off the top of the bill instead of the menu prices. I think the math works out, too.

If you do a 5000$ day that's an extra hundred bucks for the nonsalaried staff; you ballpark between 7-11 people depending on your operation size and that's roughly 9-14$ a head which works out to somewhere between a dollar and two over an 8 hour shift. Obviously, you divvy it up based on hours worked, but that's a good meter stick.
If you change your 'large party automatic gratituity' percentage from 20 to 18% its still the same cost to consumer, even if your servers make a bit less.

I like that model, and what Danny Meyer is doing as well. Scaling it to something like my operation with 7 outlets and a hundred cooks would be difficult, and I like the idea of rewarding my cooks for their 16 hour days with a cut of the banquet gratuity. Not too sure about the legality of that though.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I like that model, and what Danny Meyer is doing as well. Scaling it to something like my operation with 7 outlets and a hundred cooks would be difficult, and I like the idea of rewarding my cooks for their 16 hour days with a cut of the banquet gratuity. Not too sure about the legality of that though.

Maybe you can look at the country club model? I head offhand that a lot/some of them kick in like, ten cents a plate to the people who helped make it in a pool just as a just as part of the cost.

If you were to do something like that, I think it'd be as an extra surcharge on top of the banquet gratuity. If you know the man hours that go into your banquet preps, it gets a lot easier to make that a flat fee.

What's the low down on danny meyer's changes?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Total change of topic:

Any suggestions on getting that kitchen smell out of clothes? I'm inured to it at this point, but my husband said "JD, you REALLY have to wash that coat". Just from hanging up in the kitchen, my army coat I've been wearing all winter indeed reeks of fryer oil. I've already run it thru the wash twice (yay free laundry in my apartment bldg), but it still has a distinct aroma of fried food all up in it.

Fake edit: just saw your post while previewing this one, empty whippet box. Good on you! I'm legit happy for you. :)

Oxyclean actually works surprisingly well. Vodka and vinegar also - something about breaking up the bonds blah blah blah. It's probably cheapest to just use vinegar, drink the vodka, and mock Oxyclean though

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

I don't like itemizing increases to deal with increased salaries instead of baking it into the menu prices, it's a tactic to turn customers against employees. Any time someone asks about the "Healthy SF" charge I know the tip is going to be 10% or less, regardless of the fact that it's 2 bucks on a fifty dollar check.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Canuck-Errant posted:

Oxyclean actually works surprisingly well. Vodka and vinegar also - something about breaking up the bonds blah blah blah. It's probably cheapest to just use vinegar, drink the vodka, and mock Oxyclean though

Mix a little of whatever multi purpose solution you're not allergic to into your washing machine. Once it gets full of water turn it off and let everything soak for 20 minutes or so, then turn it back on and enjoy your sort of clean work clothes!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Field Mousepad posted:

Mix a little of whatever multi purpose solution you're not allergic to into your washing machine. Once it gets full of water turn it off and let everything soak for 20 minutes or so, then turn it back on and enjoy your sort of clean work clothes!

That reminds me - oxyclean won't do poo poo on bloodstains that have set, it'll only make them darker. And if you overuse it it can make the fabric brittle, leaving it prone to tearing and fit for nothing more than burning in the evidence barrel trash pit in the backyard.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
H2O2 can remove blood if the material can handle it and washing with baking soda+vinegar will get grease and smells out of your clothes

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
20 mule team borax, club soda, and a vinegar chaser to keep the bubbles out of your liver.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

Well, this discussion made me be like 'you know what, gently caress it, I'm gonna talk to the bosses about it.'

I met with the prep manager(my immediate manager) and the main owner, and I said 'I'd like to know how I can earn more money. I feel like 8 an hour for the job I do isn't enough, and if it's a question of working hard enough, I think I've already showed out there(the owner nodded yes to this) and if it's because I wash dishes then I'd like to be moved to the line. And if you can't afford to take me off the dishes because I'm so good at it, then it only seems right that I get paid what a line cook does.'

The prep manager really had my back about it too, he didn't have to tbh because the owner completely agreed with everything I said, but I could tell he was ready to argue on my behalf. The owner asked what I thought was fair. I said if you give me 9.50 you'll never hear about it from me again, and he said he didn't think they could go quite that high but to talk to him about it tomorrow morning and we'll have specifics but he wants to make sure I'm taken care of and he agreed that I deserve more.

So I'll be getting a dollar raise.

Miracles do happen :shobon:

Good on you! I hope that works out well.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

How many full time hourly cooks and dishwashers every day? Because even if you're paying them all only texas minimum wage right now you'd need to have 160+ employees to hit that number, and adding 50 cents to each menu item In a place that has that large of a staff should absolutely cover that.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

pile of brown posted:

How many full time hourly cooks and dishwashers every day? Because even if you're paying them all only texas minimum wage right now you'd need to have 160+ employees to hit that number, and adding 50 cents to each menu item In a place that has that large of a staff should absolutely cover that.

You think he does 20k items a night?

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 29, 2018