Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

S4E1 landed. It’s great so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Just listened to the new episode, and the Dragon Friends were surprisingly competent! The training session they did must have done wonders.

Also this season is absolutely Spelljammer

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Good ep. Some good Baston kicks.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
That was a lot of fun, and the first time I have had no idea about the setting going in. I can't to hear more.

Even with the stream of annihilation stuff, I've missed this podcast a lot.

As a PSA, anyone looking for another two dudes talk about stuff podcast might want to check out Free to a Good Home, Ben and Hing's podcast about classified ads. It's pretty consistently funny, and I think every Dragon Friend cast-mate and guest apart from Edan Lacey has been on. It has about the same levels of Jurassic Park talk and Simpsons references as Dragon Friends, and Alex Lee's been on it about fifteen times. The last episode released as of this post was actually guested by the current musical accompanist, and she's great. Its a good time.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Roach Warehouse posted:

Good ep. Some good Baston kicks.

I know the mechanics are usually glossed over but was surprised that it was mentioned he's an L2 Monk now.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Hughlander posted:

I know the mechanics are usually glossed over but was surprised that it was mentioned he's an L2 Monk now.

There's something hilarious about how the most competent player has by far the worst character build

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

inthesto posted:

There's something hilarious about how the most competent player has by far the worst character build

You mean best, right? I will not hear a word against the superior Handsome Man class.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

There was an excerpt from the Gribbits Detective Agency posted in the McElroy thread and I really appreciated how much the narrative text captured Dave’s voice.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I Just started season three and Hing/Freezo's continued breakdown has been a delight.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Just posting to say the part with Droopy Dog Deep Gnomes had me dying

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Just posting to say the part with Droopy Dog Deep Gnomes had me dying

I'm very sad they don't have more of the weird little musical interludes like the gnomes singing the wake up song posted on youtube.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I just got to the finale of season 2 and six thousand uncontrollable buttholes had me laughing out loud at work, which is embarrassing. The whole back half of this season has been great.

This podcast is very good, thank you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The McElroy thread turned me onto this podcast and it's everything I want a D&D podcast to be (except for the audio quality but I guess that gets better?).

I'm nearly at the end of season 1, and I lost my poo poo at the part where the evil duke walks out, and the DM is like "and you're now looking at the face of the man at the root of all your misfortunes" and someone says "Freezo?"

Philge is heads and shoulders my favorite but they're all very good

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm about 2/3 through season 2 and the audio quality remains bad but the show is funny

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

The McElroy thread turned me onto this podcast and it's everything I want a D&D podcast to be (except for the audio quality but I guess that gets better?).

I'm nearly at the end of season 1, and I lost my poo poo at the part where the evil duke walks out, and the DM is like "and you're now looking at the face of the man at the root of all your misfortunes" and someone says "Freezo?"

Philge is heads and shoulders my favorite but they're all very good

The audio quality kind of just dicerolls every few episodes and Philge is always a treasure. Philge and Dilge calling Gribbits a "baby grib-grob" is still hilarious to me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The Berzerker posted:

I'm about 2/3 through season 2 and the audio quality remains bad but the show is funny

"Hello, folks. This week, Hing had some technical difficulties with his mic, we lost the first 10 minutes of audio, and you might hear some quality fluctuations as we had to re-enact a few scenes that were lost. But still, enjoy!"

I'm only about 1/3 through the 2nd season, and it's almost insane how often hey have mic problems, but it's funny enough that I don't really care.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
In one of the episodes of Tomb of Annihilation season 2, they have to stop the game just to yell at Ben for not holding the microphone correctly.

It'd some kind of small miracle that this show manages to exist

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wouldn’t normally mind it, except that I usually listen to podcasts in the background while playing video games and the episodes where they’re all coming in super super soft make it very difficult. But it’s worth the trouble.

At least season 2 seems louder so far

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Only tangentially related, but please take a look at Tom Walker's and Demi Lardner's hard R comedy podcast 'BigSoftTitty.png' that they plugged at the end of the last episode. It may be one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Only tangentially related, but please take a look at Tom Walker's and Demi Lardner's hard R comedy podcast 'BigSoftTitty.png' that they plugged at the end of the last episode. It may be one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

I was nodding off at the end of the last ep and I loving absolutely thought I dreamed that plug.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I tried bigsofttitty.png a few weeks ago, but it didn't really click with me. I guess I need podcasts to have a premise more than "friends bullshitting", though not by much.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I'm halfway through season 2, and Hing being genuinely confused by the reveal at the end of episode 8. The whole thing was a lot of fun, but that ending loving killed me. I almost crashed my car multiple times that episode. What a good show.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I've been re-listening recently just for some noise to fall asleep to, and the reaction to (end of S2 spoiler) the return of Edvard Ostwick is one of the best moments in the whole show.

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 10, 2018

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Roach Warehouse posted:

I've been re-listening recently just for some noise to fall asleep to, and the reaction to (end of S2 spoiler) the return of Edvard Ostwick is one of the best moments in the whole show.

The back and forth between Freezo and Edvard was so good, I hope they bring back Carlo to play another guest character in season 4. Or just bring back Edvard as a ghost or spirit of vengeance or something.

Also, apparently they've managed to enlist a literal pop star for the next episode, and she wrote a song to perform during the show.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 10, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Roach Warehouse posted:

I won't lie, I was rooting for him. Such a fun character.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

He's part of a series of improv studies based around pushing Ben Jenkins to the limit, along with my other favourites "Bobby Pancakes nicknames" and "What costumes do you have?"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Which hit its peak in Tomb of Annihilation Episode 0, where Ben had to improvise more names for Bobby, but couldn't because he was asked to be PG-13 on the WotC stream

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've reached season 3, and although I generally appreciate freezo for what he is, I'm enjoying that the podcast has achieved a balance by evolving into a dunk-fest on Michael Hing.

I loved the bit where the crowd/rest of the cast booed him for one of his lame autism jokes, and then dave cut the tension with "this is a fantasy universe, vaccines don't cause autism here".

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I cant express in words how much of a treat you're in for going forward.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not Operator posted:

I cant express in words how much of a treat you're in for going forward.

I look forward to finding out what this means!

As much as I'm enjoying watching Hing squirm, I will say that his utter inability to remember what the overall objective of the adventure is at any point in time is extremely relatable to me, as someone who is also currently playing in a drunk D&D campaign

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
New episode is out and it might already be my new high point for the entire show.

Montaigne's song being so classy is so incredibly inappropriate to the rest of the show that it actually wraps back around to being funny again

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

After reading the episode title, I was sure we'd get another Simon song.

You
Oct 6, 2009

inthesto posted:

New episode is out and it might already be my new high point for the entire show.

Montaigne's song being so classy is so incredibly inappropriate to the rest of the show that it actually wraps back around to being funny again

This was exactly my reaction. During the song I couldn't help but think about a swarm of bats violently making GBS threads themselves, which somehow elevated both the performance and the show as a whole.

Also, I'm wondering how familiar the guests are with the show. Most says they never have played DnD before and just make goofy fun stunts throughout, which is the best possible thing. But this song was so far disconnected from the tone of the show and the events that were occurring that I couldn't help laughing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm nearing the end of season 3 and I've had Johnny Playstation's girlfriend song stuck in my head for days. I wish I could have seen it live

Also, Edan Lacey laughing in the background is one of the most soothing sounds

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 25, 2018

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I really wish they could bring on either Tom Walker or Carlo Ritchie as permanent cast members, because they're both gold and never have a dud episode.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm nearing the end of season 3 and I've had Johnny Playstation's girlfriend song stuck in my head for days. I wish I could have seen it live

Also, Edan Lacey laughing in the background is one of the most soothing sounds

somewhere there's a video of him performing it at one of his stand-up shows, I'll try and find it again. It might be linked in this thread, actually.

edit: oh it is in this thread! It's the Me Meow song. https://www.facebook.com/ABCCOMEDY/videos/1532162206836860/

Also, I never realised they uploaded the episode with (former) Senator Scott Ludlam, but it's on their twitch, which explains why I've never seen it. Now I have loads more of their stuff to catch up on!

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 26, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I would strongly consider paying an amount of money for a single version of that song

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
https://twitter.com/actualmontaigne/status/978152219366236160

Dragon Friends is truly a magical show :allears:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

While Freezo may be the obvious pariah of the group, I am enjoying how Philge goes out of her way to invent the most creatively unhelpful thing she can think of to do with her actions. Poor meegan

Another thing I like about this podcast is that they sometimes panic or get lazy and do something unfunny or mildly offensive, like any red-blooded drunk improviser does from time to time when they're performing for 2 hours straight, and the rest of the group will pull it out by dunking on them in a funny way, like Hing's autism jokes or some of the gypsy stuff in season 2. I still have a few episodes in season 3 to go, and the gang has reached a critical mass of cum jokes, to Dave's chagrin

Also, Simon sounds extremely like Jemaine Clement and I like that

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

While Freezo may be the obvious pariah of the group, I am enjoying how Philge goes out of her way to invent the most creatively unhelpful thing she can think of to do with her actions. Poor meegan

Another thing I like about this podcast is that they sometimes panic or get lazy and do something unfunny or mildly offensive, like any red-blooded drunk improviser does from time to time when they're performing for 2 hours straight, and the rest of the group will pull it out by dunking on them in a funny way, like Hing's autism jokes or some of the gypsy stuff in season 2. I still have a few episodes in season 3 to go, and the gang has reached a critical mass of cum jokes, to Dave's chagrin

Also, Simon sounds extremely like Jemaine Clement and I like that

Yea I love that the rule seems to be 'we'll let you try to make your lazy/slightly offensive stereotype work, but if it falls flat we're gonna spend the rest of the show dunking on you'. That's good improv.