Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

how acceptable of an answer is "I'm looking for a new job because my current job is in a backwater shithole and I want to move to civilization"

i have been saying my company plans to move operations to florida

every time it's been met with "i understand"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idk if just outright saying that location is the primary reason is kosher, other answers like "better culture fit" or "better likelihood of turning the job into a career" seem like they might invite weird followup questions

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i think one of the big mistakes i made when i was looking to end my super long commute was saying "yeah i think i might kill myself if i have to keep driving 3 hours to work" when asked why i was leaving

do not recommend

edit: also just finished 2 assessments of grammar and basic math :downsbravo:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

idk if just outright saying that location is the primary reason is kosher, other answers like "better culture fit" or "better likelihood of turning the job into a career" seem like they might invite weird followup questions

if you’re a computer touched and you’ve been at your job longer than 18 months just say you feel like it’s time for you to move on to new challenges or some poo poo

like nothing you can say to that question will make them like you better, it’s literally just an opportunity to reveal that you’re insufferable to work with and/or a flake. any answer which does not give the recruiter an excuse to disqualify you is a good one

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
People who are looking for something that the new job offers are more attractive than people who are trying to get away from something at their current job.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

When an employer says to me "we're more focused on skills than salary" I know not to move forward.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Arcsech posted:

if you’re a computer touched and you’ve been at your job longer than 18 months just say you feel like it’s time for you to move on to new challenges or some poo poo

like nothing you can say to that question will make them like you better, it’s literally just an opportunity to reveal that you’re insufferable to work with and/or a flake. any answer which does not give the recruiter an excuse to disqualify you is a good one

absolutely but you should give a more honest answer if you’re at a real face-to-face interview, especially if it’s someone you’ll be working with. if you were putting up with heavy bullshit that isn’t the type of bullshit you can handle you should be open about it so that the interviewer can lay it on softly that you’re barking up the wrong tree.

if they’re a *good* interviewer they’ll also use that opportunity to hint at what kind of bullshit you’ll be expected to deal with but don’t expect it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Media Bloodbath posted:

Yes it was "a start-up", why do you ask?
although I'm not sure that's what you'd call a company with a 98% majority holding company that's a hundred years old.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i've decided to leave my job about a month from now, i'm the only person with the knowledge needed to field support requests after the other devs were laid off and the work shipped to elbonia, any suggestions how to break it to my boss who I'm on good terms with? :( (i don't expect to have an offer in hand)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gazpacho posted:

i've decided to leave my job about a month from now, i'm the only person with the knowledge needed to field support requests after the other devs were laid off and the work shipped to elbonia, any suggestions how to break it to my boss who I'm on good terms with? :( (i don't expect to have an offer in hand)

A letter that says "I will be resigning my position at (company) effective (t+2 weeks). Thank you."

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

don’t broach the topic unless you are ready to leave

like right then on the spot. being fired isn’t an uncommon consequence of resigning

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

just spent five hours on a take-home cause i got way too ambitious about it lmao.

christ i must want this job.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

like right then on the spot. being fired isn’t an uncommon consequence of resigning

you wouldn't believe how many people i've had to explain this to. they seem to think that since i know i'm out in the next little while i can go give multiple-months notice as a "heads-up" and work will just like, appreciate it and not totally eject me from the building.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Media Bloodbath posted:

Yes it was "a start-up", why do you ask?
although I'm not sure that's what you'd call a company with a 98% majority holding company that's a hundred years old.

my previous employer was a huge consulting company and they brought in a ping pong table that couldn't be used during office hours and an unplugged keurig machine that were both placed near the office entrance like a sort of innovation totem to emphasize that we were actually a startup

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh thats not a problem i already brought up the possibility and agreed to "wait and see". there were circumstances that forced the subject

whatever will happen because of that will happen and i'm hard pressed to give a gently caress

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Lol if you bring up leaving without an active offer in hand. Just lol.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

qhat posted:

i've been "taking whatever comes my way" for 10 years now, it's getting tiresome

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

how do you politely cut off the person doing the phone screen and tell them you are not interested anymore because their business sounds like a clownshow?

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

HoboMan posted:

how do you politely cut off the person doing the phone screen and tell them you are not interested anymore because their business sounds like a clownshow?

This doesn't sound like it's a good fit for me at this time. I appreciate your time. Have a great rest of your day.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

rsjr posted:

This doesn't sound like it's a good fit for me at this time. I appreciate your time. Have a great rest of your day.

like a normal loving person

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qhat posted:

anyone who does otherwise brings shame to yospos

u r on notice

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

A company that turned me down for an intermediate position last summer when I was unemployed (from a rather bullshit interview btw, I was asked to code review code I no longer had access to) hit me up on LinkedIn yesterday and now they want to interview me for a senior position. I'm going to listen to their recruiter and see what they say, but honestly I think I'm only doing it to gauge my value on the market.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

qhat posted:

A company that turned me down for an intermediate position last summer when I was unemployed (from a rather bullshit interview btw, I was asked to code review code I no longer had access to) hit me up on LinkedIn yesterday and now they want to interview me for a senior position. I'm going to listen to their recruiter and see what they say, but honestly I think I'm only doing it to gauge my value on the market.

imagine becoming the boss of your lovely interviewer :evilbuddy:

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

perfect

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

my previous employer was a huge consulting company and they brought in a ping pong table that couldn't be used during office hours and an unplugged keurig machine that were both placed near the office entrance like a sort of innovation totem to emphasize that we were actually a startup

to be homes I'd definitely prefer that to going to the gym/yoga or doing other "fun team activities" outside of my paid hours.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Valeyard posted:

I've got phone technical interview tomrrow with startup A, and video technical/culture interview on Friday with startup B

A lot more prepared for B, mainly because their glass door is pretty comprehensive

startup A call was very straightforward and not very technical, fingers crossed

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

declined the Nvidia internship offer. hopefully I don't regret that

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

do you have other internship offers

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

do you have other internship offers
ya

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

imagine becoming the boss of your lovely interviewer :evilbuddy:

Ya but it's already an 80% chance I'm gonna pass honestly. If they can't even hire competently, I can't imagine what the bureaucracy must be like on the inside.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Probably for the best, you don't want to be around for the when the crypto fad blows over and they their stock tanks

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
current interview status: cancelled because the candidate is afraid of heights and we're on the 34th floor of the tallest building in Seattle

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

we just had a potential intern decline an offer because I, the technical interviewer was mean and had unrealistic expectations or some such (this is filtered through hr)

we asked him to reverse an array

i think he’s in for a rude awakening whenever he interviews for a “real” job

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hobbesmaster posted:

we just had a potential intern decline an offer because I, the technical interviewer was mean and had unrealistic expectations or some such (this is filtered through hr)

we asked him to reverse an array

i think he’s in for a rude awakening whenever he interviews for a “real” job

having been on the other side of this I am inclined to be suspicious but w/e

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the other interviewer didn't recall it going any differently than the numerous other interviews we've done, idk :shrug:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
has anybody gotten an interviewee accompanied by a helicopter parent yet

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
its really weird trying to transition from a field with 10+ years of experience to something else.

suddenly youre barely qualified and struggling to get face time for the second time in your life. all the while recruiters and sites and trying to suck you back into the old thing

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

has anybody gotten an interviewee accompanied by a helicopter parent yet

yes, it was the saddest scene

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I once interviewed a guy who brought out pictures of his kids when he realised it wasn't going very well. That was a pretty awkward interview.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

finally hit a company that won't schedule a phone interview until i give them a salary number
guess ill just tell them again that i'm not comfortable giving them a number and then wait for the "sorry, we can't move forward with you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaman Linavi posted:

finally hit a company that won't schedule a phone interview until i give them a salary number
guess ill just tell them again that i'm not comfortable giving them a number and then wait for the "sorry, we can't move forward with you"

tell them it depends on their RSU vesting schedule