Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Goddam but the musical queues are on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Me: man that security guy was really rapey but at least Paige kept her cover and nothing happened
Me ~5 minutes later: :stare: :stare:

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 29, 2018

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

#metoo navy creeper! :boom:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

DarklyDreaming posted:

Paige watching what appears to be a Russian sitcom

Eh, close enough.

I want to believe the showrunners chose that because it sort of was a vehicle for the Soviet Union to show off how far it had come to Americans, but more likely they just picked something recognizablenevermind, having watched through the scene, they did choose it for the right reason. Claudia totally plays up the "yes, everything is as perfect in the USSR as is shown in the film" angle.

They should have gone with the comedy option and shown Paige Little Vera instead.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 29, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
3 out of 5 people who creeped on Paige in this show have been stabbed in the neck or balls for it. Only pervert by the lake and mugger #2 outside the food pantry have gotten away with it.

Trifle with Jennings women at your own peril.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

canyoneer posted:

3 out of 5 people who creeped on Paige in this show have been stabbed in the neck or balls for it. Only pervert by the lake and mugger #2 outside the food pantry have gotten away with it.

Trifle with Jennings women at your own peril.

Pervert by the lake got a bottle upside the head from Henry at least, didn't he?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, and mugger #2 got KGB kung-fu'd in the face. They got off easy.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

So it's actually a romcom. Shoulda figured from the conversation afterward.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This show is so good, going to miss it.

The season began with some crowded house so it will be a good season.

Bearded Oleg is best oleg

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's kind of weird how they skipped over Oleg's betrayal, but I also kind of didn't want to see them weasel their way out of it.

I just hope that Oleg has some good interactions with Beeman.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm very worried about Oleg...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I still zone out a bit during the long Russian sections.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Just watched this while on my lunch break.

Holy poo poo this is great television.

I was rapt the whole run time.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Oleg and Arkadys talk in the beginning about Gorbachev being opposed by people who don't want change made me think of Mathias Rust. I had just been reading about him a few weeks ago. He is the German who got his private pilots license and then landed a Cessna in Red Square in 1987. That incident was the catalyst for Gorbachev removing a bunch of politicians who opposed him.

Somewhere around this time too, I think the Soviets lost a nuclear sub that caused an international crisis.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 29, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Christ Liz that's a bit excessive no???

Also lol Philip is now a 1%er owner

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Was the travel agent office remodeled or something? It looks so modern.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I feel like this is the first time any of the travel agency employees have spoken.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Henchman of Santa posted:

I feel like this is the first time any of the travel agency employees have spoken.
They've spoken before - especially the guy who I think may be Russian?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's clear the firm is doing much better now that Philip is actually working there and not just loving off on "business trips" every other day.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I imagine that the skills that a deep cover spy has developed would make him a pretty competent business owner.

Attention to detail, sharp memory, interpersonal skills, manipulation, fast thinking, strategic orientation, project management from running simultaneous operations

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This show is amazing and I am very loving happy it's back.

I was never too worried about the timeskip and I think they executed it perfectly here. The spent five years developing these characters so well that it's easy to fill in the gaps in a three year skip, like it's easy as hell to infer what a Phillip out of the business would be like in that time, or Elizabeth working double time or Paige continuing to be groomed to be an agent, etc. The only character who really needed much exposition for what happened between was Oleg and imo that was handled just fine.

Really looking forward to how this season develops. Pitting the two against eachother has always seemed like it would be the endgame at some point so I hope they deliver.

That Chekhov's Cyanide Capsule is gna make me nervous all season.

e: I loved the feeling that everyone at the agency seems kind of annoyed Phillip is always there now

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 29, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Holy fuckin' poo poo, FX has gone balls out with the budget for the song licensing fees this season, and we're only 1 episode into it.

Last night was outstanding. I'm gonna miss this show when it's gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjBwAYIxUso

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

canyoneer posted:

I imagine that the skills that a deep cover spy has developed would make him a pretty competent business owner.

You could see that in the pep talk he gave to them about how to cultivate clients.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

AV Club had a cool deep dive into Henry's hockey number.

av club posted:

Star player and burgeoning high school heartthrob Henry Jennings wears No. 9 for St. Edward’s, a number of deep hockey significance, worn by three of the National Hockey League’s greatest players: Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, and Bobby Hull. But it was also on the sweater of Soviet star Vladimir Krutov, the left wing of the Red Army’s feared KLM Line. Krutov was on hand for the 1987 Canada Cup, the finals of which would’ve taken place a few weeks prior to “Dead Hand,” and pitted Krutov and his comrades against Team Canada in one of the greatest international matchups in the sport’s history. Carrying the championship squad and two “9”s on his back in that tournament: Wayne Gretzky.

I don't really follow hockey, but that's pretty bomb if intentional.

The dinner scene was super good, and I hope we get more of that sort of interaction. Its still up in the air if Stan's girlfriend is Directorate-S right?

Does Arkady work out of Moscow, or did he make the trip back to pull Oleg back in?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

hatelull posted:

Does Arkady work out of Moscow, or did he make the trip back to pull Oleg back in?

Arkady said he's the deputy director of Directorate S so I'd guess he's in Moscow. He also got ejected from the US in season 4 in retaliation for Gaad's death didn't he?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Arkady said he's the deputy director of Directorate S so I'd guess he's in Moscow. He also got ejected from the US in season 4 in retaliation for Gaad's death didn't he?

That's right! Thanks. I couldn't remember if he popped up last season when Oleg was in Moscow the whole time, or not.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Oh I forgot about the Canada Cup, the '87 Canadian team was an incredible lineup. 12 future hall of famers, team was so stacked that they decided to not include Patrick Roy or Steve Yzerman. This video of Gretzky highlights from it is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgnzZZ7cduQ. The 2 on 1 with Gretzky and Lemieux is one of my favorite moments.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

phosdex posted:

Oh I forgot about the Canada Cup, the '87 Canadian team was an incredible lineup. 12 future hall of famers, team was so stacked that they decided to not include Patrick Roy or Steve Yzerman. This video of Gretzky highlights from it is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgnzZZ7cduQ. The 2 on 1 with Gretzky and Lemieux is one of my favorite moments.

The 30 for 30 on the Soviet hockey teams from that era is amazing. There were some really incredible athletes with great synergy

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

CBJSprague24 posted:

Why do I feel like the mother/daughter moment is foreshadowing for later this season?

It seemed like Elizabeth's partner (what's her name again?) didn't know about Paige being Elizabeth's daughter. That whole moment seemed like it was foreshadowing some kind of clouded judgment call by Elizabeth.

Speaking of her, the scene in Mexico seemed a bit off to me. Surely they could've gotten gotten Keri Russell to memorise just a tiny bit more Russian than "да" instead of just playing loud music over the scene.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Finally Phil vs Liz is finally happening :neckbeard:

drunkill posted:

:same:

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

tazjin posted:

Speaking of her, the scene in Mexico seemed a bit off to me. Surely they could've gotten gotten Keri Russell to memorise just a tiny bit more Russian than "да" instead of just playing loud music over the scene.

I thought it was really effective to have the soundtrack slowly drown out the dialogue. It showed how mind boggling the information and task Elizabeth was confronting really was.

Also regular reminder that Slate does a weekly podcast with an interview with the creators about every episode, as well as a random cast or crew member.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

drunkill posted:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I have a pal on Facebook who is retired ex-CIA (he's been retired since 1999; he's friends with my stepfather because they went to college together) and I asked him if he had seen last night's episode, since he's a fan of the show, because he used to do poo poo like this for a living during the 80's.

Here are his responses to me this afternoon. I told him about the Elizabeth and the Soviet General meeting at the cafe, but he didn't have any frame of reference until he watched the episode.

Before watching:

After watching:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
well that was the fuckin' bees tits, holy gently caress

seriously, just, man. forget what i said, the time skip was awesome

philip line dancing was some fanservice poo poo and i loved it

Philip: Always Be Closing
Liz: Always Be Commie

chekhov's suicide pill :ohdear:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

chekhov's suicide pill :ohdear:

gurl we be twinnin'

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Naylenas posted:

I thought it was really effective to have the soundtrack slowly drown out the dialogue.

It's weird when you understand the spoken Russian. The subtitles continued over the drowned out bits, so it was very unclear what one should be focusing on.

Anyways, minor complaint about an otherwise excellent episode.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gonz posted:

I have a pal on Facebook who is retired ex-CIA (he's been retired since 1999; he's friends with my stepfather because they went to college together) and I asked him if he had seen last night's episode, since he's a fan of the show, because he used to do poo poo like this for a living during the 80's.

Here are his responses to me this afternoon. I told him about the Elizabeth and the Soviet General meeting at the cafe, but he didn't have any frame of reference until he watched the episode.

Before watching:

After watching:

My own impression was that the complete breakdown of tradecraft and protocol was demonstrating that the program itself was falling apart, and that the people who knew what they were doing just weren't in charge anymore.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I liked the episode quite a bit. clearly since this is the last season they are going to go ahead and blow the music budget. that was a lot of good songs. Healthy Phil creeps me out

hatelull posted:

Arkady works in Russia and is officially banned from the US

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
So how many years did we skip ahead? & is Henry in that boarding school or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

around 3 years I believe

• Locked thread