Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Wow, bits of things! My favorite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I love the flag stuck in there in case some other country tries to steal it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Such Fun posted:

You forgot the best mystery meat + green stuff:

Erwtensoep, ""pea" "soup"". Hmmmm!

Edit: I think traditional Dutch cuisine is the reason a lot of people here are open to a multicultural society.

I assume it's also why they're so lenient on drugs; if they weren't high they'd starve to death.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Food with flavor is for those fancy Latin speaking peoples to the south. Germanic peoples need bland, fatty food. :science:

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
How have we been talking about weird drunk food for 2 pages and nobody has posted this gem?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/mammothfactory/status/979083093943488512

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Wow Dutch cuisine really improved lately. It almost makes me want to eat that

edit: for reference this is "native" Dutch food and the reason why that kapsalon horror is so popular;

My favorite thing when I visited Amsterdam was this restaurant clearly trying to bring in tourists, with a sign that advertised "Typical Dutch Food". I think the word they were looking for was "Traditional" or "Authentic", but "Typical" certainly conveyed a lot more meaning.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Such Fun posted:

Edit: I think traditional Dutch cuisine is the reason a lot of people here are open to a multicultural society.

I know this is PYF not D&D but nobody else has said anything yet and I think it'd a bit disingenuous to let people walk away from this thinking the Netherlands is some multicultural paradise because of a Dutch food joke. So I'm leaving this post here in case anybody wants to google and get a more nuanced understanding

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I know this is PYF not D&D but nobody else has said anything yet and I think it'd a bit disingenuous to let people walk away from this thinking the Netherlands is some multicultural paradise because of a Dutch food joke. So I'm leaving this post here in case anybody wants to google and get a more nuanced understanding

I assume you're called 'Dutch' because it beats being 'Nethers'

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Randaconda posted:

Food with flavor is for those fancy Latin speaking peoples to the south. Germanic peoples need bland, fatty food. :science:

How else would they survive the winter?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brewmaster posted:

How have we been talking about weird drunk food for 2 pages and nobody has posted this gem?

I love reading that every time it's posted :allears:.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Every food with more than one ingredient is a soup, a sandwich, a poutine, and a steak.

Nastyman has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Mar 29, 2018

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

Same for Low Countries and Nether Regions.

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I like calling them "Swamp Germans" but they don't seem to appreciate it.

*edit* oops wrong quote

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

Wow, bits of things! My favorite!

I ate that once but it was all stuff in a hot dog bun. Pretty good, really.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Such Fun posted:

You forgot the best mystery meat + green stuff:

Erwtensoep, ""pea" "soup"". Hmmmm!

That's one of my favorites foods :(

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Samuringa posted:

That's one of my favorites foods :(

I suppose you never tried the normal, non-dutch version then

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

I was pointlessly flown to Nashville for the week for work (I usually work remotely), and this image triggers me right now.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Brewmaster posted:

The kebabs here in Germany are actually pretty drat nice, I have to say. I eat them for far too many meals. I live right above a kebab shop, and the guys who work there are actively trying to teach me German every time I come in.

In fact, not too long before I left Austin, some German former UT students opened up a chain of restaurants that specialized specifically in Berlin-style kebabs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trig Discipline posted:

The kebabs here in Germany are actually pretty drat nice, I have to say. I eat them for far too many meals. I live right above a kebab shop, and the guys who work there are actively trying to teach me German every time I come in.

In fact, not too long before I left Austin, some German former UT students opened up a chain of restaurants that specialized specifically in Berlin-style kebabs.

Are any/all of them named Amir?

You
Oct 6, 2009

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Trig Discipline posted:

VertsKebap? That didn't really last: they renamed themselves twice, opened then closed a bunch of locations, and the kebab isn't even on the menu anymore. The food's reasonably good for what it is, just not at all what they started as.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Alas, you have foiled my clever ruse! Now the fine people on this dead gay forum will not walk away believing the lie that the Netherlands is a multicultural paradise with gross food.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Now that's what I call a taco.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Phanatic posted:

But not until it's put in our commemorative tote bag, filled with vegetarian chili!

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Phanatic posted:

This is clearly a sandwich

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hhhat posted:

It is clearly a calzone.

You
Oct 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is clearly a calzone.

Actually it's called a calskrove.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hhhat posted:

A taco is a sandwich.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

SpacePig posted:

But not until it's put in our commemorative tote bag, filled with vegetarian chili!

In case no one has seen that monstrosity actually get made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvIkojfQDxA&t=322s

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Brewmaster posted:

I like calling them "Swamp Germans" but they don't seem to appreciate it.

I doubt they give a poo poo

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Dutch cuisine is Indonesian food and fried garbage. Sometimes both.

It's sort of depressing actually. I did my thesis on why people in urban areas in the Netherlands don't garden, and among the many reasons is that you can't really grow anything you'd want to eat/put effort into compared to what you can get at the store.There's just not enough sunshine or warmth and it's too damp. I've tried multiple times to grow a garden in pots and the only thing I can manage is dill and chamomile. All my eggplants and tomatoes and zucchinnis and pumpkins and peppers just die. Gonna try beets and kale this year, maybe I'll get something outta that.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-35899023

You
Oct 6, 2009

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Dutch cuisine is Indonesian food and fried garbage. Sometimes both.

It's sort of depressing actually. I did my thesis on why people in urban areas in the Netherlands don't garden, and among the many reasons is that you can't really grow anything you'd want to eat/put effort into compared to what you can get at the store.There's just not enough sunshine or warmth and it's too damp. I've tried multiple times to grow a garden in pots and the only thing I can manage is dill and chamomile. All my eggplants and tomatoes and zucchinnis and pumpkins and peppers just die. Gonna try beets and kale this year, maybe I'll get something outta that.

What about getting grow lights and doing it indoors? Like if you have a free porch or extra room you might be able to grow some good food. It may be a bit expensive but good god, man.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Ah yes, the true Garfield and Nermal are finally made how I always imagined them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I think maybe you just don't have the appropriate set-up. My parents grow tomatoes and paprikas in their veranda just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
heard y'all talking poo poo about bitterballen