Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ytlaya posted:

What political ideology is the Corolla supposed to correspond to here?

I feel like the woman writing that article is also using a somewhat different definition of "elite" that includes people like teachers who technically have "professional" jobs but don't make much money, even though that's usually not what people are referring to when they talk about "elites" (particularly if it's liberals using the word).

If liberals seriously consider teachers to be among the elite, it's no wonder they lost to literally the stupidest facist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So who's up for storming the Bastile Panera Bread some time this week

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Reddit user SeattleGentrifier: Convince me that gentrification is bad for me.

SeattleGentrifier posted:

Much is made of the ills of the infiltration of high-earning transplants to the Seattle area, or even migration within the area. As someone who contributes to the gentrification of a Seattle neighborhood, I'm somewhat puzzled by the arguments surrounding the phenomenon, and I'm currently of the opinion that gentrification is in general quite a positive thing for me.

However, I don't want to live in a bubble, so I seek out your arguments to convince me that gentrification is a Bad Thing, and not simply something which benefits some and does not benefit others.

Good and bad cannot be meaningfully discussed without first asserting prior values, so please include those in the argument.

For example, things which I do care about in my neighborhood:

Clean areas/no litter or needles, low crime, low density/relative privacy, access to nice parks and bike paths, no graffiti or vandalism, grocery stores within a short drive or walk.

Things which I do not care about in my neighborhood:

That my neighbors look a certain way or are from any specific background, "hip" venues/art galleries, festivals, etc.

Feel free to state your opinions on gentrification according to your values, but what I'm mostly interested in is whether or not gentrification is bad for me given my values. I suspect that when people say things are good or bad, we talk past each other because we're starting from very different value systems, but I'm open to the idea that it actually is bad for me in either case.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wow didnt know three olives moved to seattle

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i had to google what gentrification is and it's basically lebensraum mk2?

e: german wikipedia has the word lebensraum literally in the article so I'll just go with this, lmao

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lol please tell me you’re not American

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm not, english isn't my first language

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Truga posted:

e: german wikipedia has the word lebensraum literally in the article so I'll just go with this, lmao

Richer people move in, raise rent prices, try to get the 'undesirables' to move out, make it too expensive for people who have lived there for years to continue living there. Stuff like that.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Truga posted:

bless you but no it's the reverse: housing in neighbourhoods with high crime rates or - even worse - large groups of minorities is usually not very popular in any sense but especially not with the middle class, who are attracted to places with trendy bars, other white middle class people, good schools and perceived safety. This means they're usually the only affordable metropolitan areas for the working class immigrant majority population living there. A tiny minority of young graduates/starving artist/entrepeneurial types looking for cheap residence in big cities is also attracted by this and inevitably they open a few artisanal bakeries/barber shops/craft beer joints/live music venues which reinforces that attractiveness to people like them, etc etc

Then a housing shortage or some other mysterious tipping point happens, the middle class proper/real estate developers will decide the area is now cool and good and they all start pouring in, everyone starts frantically throwing money at each other and turning small 1-bedroom appartments into the stupid lofts you see 90s sitcoms. The former inhabitants can go gently caress themselves in the new 'bad' part of town a few metro stops down the line if they want affordable housing until ten years later the exact same thing happens. The End.

Old Binsby has issued a correction as of 00:06 on Mar 28, 2018

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Richer people move in, raise rent prices, try to get the 'undesirables' to move out, make it too expensive for people who have lived there for years to continue living there. Stuff like that.

Or Kushner style, release the rats.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Well, I guess he's technically not wrong about other people starting from the different value system of "cares about the well-being of individuals other than themselves."

It's like a person saying "Convince me the Holocaust is wrong. But first I should mention that I am a white protestant German whose values include believing it is good to kill Jewish people."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
calling gentrification lebensraum is fantastic

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Old Binsby posted:

bless you but no it's the reverse: <snip>
I mean, all I'm reading here is "use the resources we have (money) to drive those dirty <less privilegeds> out of our trendy neighbourhood", which reductio ad absurdum is "lebensraum for our people". Not as bad as straight up genocide, but still extremely lovely imo.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gentrification is neoliberalized lebensraum

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Truga posted:

I mean, all I'm reading here is "use the resources we have (money) to drive those dirty <less privilegeds> out of our trendy neighbourhood", which reductio ad absurdum is "lebensraum for our people". Not as bad as straight up genocide, but still extremely lovely imo.

it's different because the force used to force lesser people out of their homes is "the market" rather than brute force, and as we all know the market is value-neutral so anything you do through it can't be said to be bad

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Another distinction is gentrification is a little more conplex and insidious because it often is inadvertent. Like people just making a place cool and livable then attracts more interest and those richer than them can easily begin displacing the poorest.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ghettomilkshake posted:

It's a bad thing in that it furthers economic inequality which on the macro scale is bad. Some of the issue is that gentrification is actually good for local governments because by replacing poorer residents with wealthy ones and increasing property values the city increases the amount of taxes it can draw and gives it more money to spend within city limits. The negatives of that are that public funds end up getting spent on the people who need it the least while the poor residents forced out because they no longer can afford the area are driven further into the cycle of poverty because they get pushed to areas that don't provide the necessary services for them to survive on their budget and their new localities don't have the tax base to draw from to provide these services. If you want a good book on the subject check out How to Kill a City by Peter Moskowitz.

Edit: My personal feelings are that it is important to recognize the inherent inequality in the system and recognize your place in it. I cannot help that I was born a cis white male. The system has been engineered to benefit me and I don't think that it is necessarily amoral to take advantage of those benefits. However I do think it is an issue if you take advantage of the benefits and not use that position of privilege to try and lift up others who do not have those advantages.

seattlegentrifier posted:

This is a great comment. Thank you. This is just what I was hoping to see.

I think there are ways to ease those effects within a market, but they have to be kept in the front of our minds or else we will suffer the consequences long term.

I'll check out the book.

If you make an effort once in a while, i guess

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahh, how could I forget. The mans skin and uh, sexual preference? Benefits him far more than apparently being born wealthy

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If being a cis white male is so awesome how come im so drat poor. Riddle me that liberals.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
oh stop whining about idpol you little bitch, the point is that he'll pick up the book and maybe rethink some things. some people are just ignorant, not malevolent.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

quote != edit

Old Binsby has issued a correction as of 00:53 on Mar 28, 2018

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Truga posted:

In my memory the Nazi concept of Lebensraum involved expansion into lower-population areas in central europe whereas gentrification achieves the opposite by decreasing population density. Could be wrong about that and regardless you're right about the similarity in screwing over the original residents (to varying degrees obviously, it doesn't compare to the 40s but I'm pretty certain mass 'deportations'/forced moves have happened in preparation for the Rio Olympic Village)

e.

Coolness Averted posted:

Another distinction is gentrification is a little more conplex and insidious because it often is inadvertent. Like people just making a place cool and livable then attracts more interest and those richer than them can easily begin displacing the poorest.

this effect is kind of funny in a tragic sense when it reaches the first generation of outsider settlers who paved the way for mass influx of wealthier peers. The artisanal bakery is bought out by Hermès and the punk club is now a bitcoin startup office space and everyone is sad about that 'originality' being forced out by big capital

Old Binsby has issued a correction as of 00:55 on Mar 28, 2018

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Truga posted:

a lot of the time it was land they gave up in the first place. it's a cyclical thing

1) non-whites start moving into a prosperous 95+% white neighborhood with friendly neighborhood cops

2) white flight. all the white people immediately sell their homes and move to the suburbs to get their racially homogenous wonderland back, while telling everyone who'll listen that their old neighborhood is a blighted hellscape full of the "wrong sorts of people"

3) housing costs and local tax income go way down because so many people are leaving. the local government stops investing in the neighborhood, the police presence turns into a bunch of brutal fascists, the infrastructure falls into ruin, social services get defunded, local businesses shut down, etc

4) once the churn and turmoil from that rapid decline settles down a bit, the low housing costs and abundance of cheap commercial spaces tends to attract young, unattached, creative-thinking types. university students and young professionals, artists and hobbyists, and niche business ideas. the neighborhood's reputation begins to improve, the local government starts to show interest again, infrastructure and services start getting repaired, and after a few years the neighborhood is considered to have developed its own unique character and is often regarded as trendy, artsy, or up-and-coming

5) gentrification. around now, all the older people who fled the city before are starting to get tired of the suburbs, don't need the big house anymore now that their kids have graduated, are tired of the long commutes, and so on. at the same time, young people just starting high-paying careers are moving to the city and want a neighborhood with a little more flavor than the wealthy white enclaves where all their new bosses live. so naturally they all descend on this neighborhood - it's trendy, artsy, has the smell of recent urban renewal, and to top it all off, it's cheap!

6) the influx of wealthy white people suddenly desperate to live there sends rents skyrocketing. most of the existing residents, being poor, are unable to keep up with the rising rents and are forced out by the high prices. the rising rents and rapid demographic changes cause some of the small businesses and arts stuff to close down, and they're promptly replaced by the same old luxury high-priced bullshit that every other wealthy neighborhood has. this makes things even more expensive for the existing residents and forces even more out, etc.

7) the neighborhood has transformed into another generic ultra-white upper-middle-class enclave, served only by the same old luxury brands and chains. the only remaining sign that anyone but bankers and doctors and retirees ever lived there are a couple of murals. after a few years, the young rich start popping out kids and begin complaining that the neighborhood is boring and has lost its unique flavor. once prices stabilize, a well-off black person moves in. return to step 1

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Larry Parrish posted:

If being a cis white male is so awesome how come im so drat poor. Riddle me that liberals.

Late-stage capitalism makes life miserable for everyone.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Main Paineframe posted:

a lot of the time it was land they gave up in the first place. it's a cyclical thing

But how does the Chinese buying up the west coast fit in?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But how does the Chinese buying up the west coast fit in?

The Chinese buy any and all American capital they're allowed to buy. because they need to do something with that gigantic mountain of dollars america has saddled them with, and they can't buy anything but crap assets like real estate. because it's illegal for chinese people to buy real assets in america

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

lollontee posted:

The Chinese buy any and all American capital they're allowed to buy. because they need to do something with that gigantic mountain of dollars america has saddled them with, and they can't buy anything but crap assets like real estate. because it's illegal for chinese people to buy real assets in america

The Chinese elite have a bit more options like using investment companies to buy large chunks of any and all things foreign. Many major European harbors are partly or wholly chinese-owned, as is half the coast of Greece, but the example below illustrates anything goes so one of those firms ended up with poo poo like the Waldorf Astoria and a bunch of small insurance companies for some reason

and then the music stops, everyone sits down and the party disappear who’s left standing for a few months while taking over on zero notice (a trial might reappear you but the guillotine is inevitable for guys like Wu)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Old Binsby posted:

The Chinese elite have a bit more options like using investment companies to buy large chunks of any and all things foreign. Many major European harbors are partly or wholly chinese-owned, as is half the coast of Greece, but the example below illustrates anything goes so one of those firms ended up with poo poo like the Waldorf Astoria and a bunch of small insurance companies for some reason

and then the music stops, everyone sits down and the party disappear who’s left standing for a few months while taking over on zero notice (a trial might reappear you but the guillotine is inevitable for guys like Wu)

you can't buy european harbors with american dollars

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

lollontee posted:

you can't buy european harbors with american dollars

I don’t see why not but the harbors weren’t the best example anyway since Beijing has an actual plan of what they want to use them for. Anbang buying odds and ends of real estate, insurers, movie production companies, etc etc is much more typical

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
same reason you have to use american dollars to buy american real-estate. what is it that you think currencies are used for exactly?

and regardless, the american government forbids chinese nationals from owning anything of significant value, so they have to come up with these complicated investment strategies to reinvest what little they're allowed to.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Dont they skirt that a bit by doing stuff like give funds to a child and the child buys/invests in a real estate business and gets a green card?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Coolness Averted posted:

Dont they skirt that a bit by doing stuff like give funds to a child and the child buys/invests in a real estate business and gets a green card?

oh i'm sure there's ways around it for individuals, but the bottom line is the mountain of dollars remains in chinese banks

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

lollontee posted:

same reason you have to use american dollars to buy american real-estate. what is it that you think currencies are used for exactly?

and regardless, the american government forbids chinese nationals from owning anything of significant value, so they have to come up with these complicated investment strategies to reinvest what little they're allowed to.

we’re veering off topic a bit but what’s different on a bigger scale transaction when I’m buying goods on amazon.com and paying in € (adding a surcharge for conversion to $ via my bank) vs buying an entire harbor in USD in the same fashion using some conversion rate or simply first buying an equivalent stack of EUR?

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Old Binsby posted:

we’re veering off topic a bit but what’s different on a bigger scale transaction when I’m buying goods on amazon.com and paying in € (adding a surcharge for conversion to $ via my bank) vs buying an entire harbor in USD in the same fashion using some conversion rate or simply first buying an equivalent stack of EUR?

You need to find a bank able and willing to facilitate that kind of transaction which is a bigger deal at harbor scale.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
gentrification is a somewhat complicated subject and the blame for driving out the locals is ill-targeted on the slightly richer person moving in. the blame lies on the slumlords and politicians who had no intention of cultivating a neighborhood to begin with. they sellout as soon as the offer is large enough, then you have good old capitalism appealing to the lowest common denominator, and the neighborhood becomes McMansions. new people move in because their only other option is to not move to the city at all.

tl;dr gentrification is easy to avoid, and is arguable one of the specific tasks a city council
should address, but the gormless officials are typically not interested in making things better for everyone, preferring instead to make things better for themselves.

understand what the rentier class is, and support policies that undermine them, first and foremost. ignorant people with sophomoric ideas of what gentrification actually is aren’t the appropriate target.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

gentrification is a somewhat complicated subject and the blame for driving out the locals is ill-targeted on the slightly richer person moving in. the blame lies on the slumlords and politicians who had no intention of cultivating a neighborhood to begin with. they sellout as soon as the offer is large enough, then you have good old capitalism appealing to the lowest common denominator, and the neighborhood becomes McMansions. new people move in because their only other option is to not move to the city at all.

tl;dr gentrification is easy to avoid, and is arguable one of the specific tasks a city council
should address, but the gormless officials are typically not interested in making things better for everyone, preferring instead to make things better for themselves.

understand what the rentier class is, and support policies that undermine them, first and foremost. ignorant people with sophomoric ideas of what gentrification actually is aren’t the appropriate target.

https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-15-the-real-estate-page-as-colonial-dispatch

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Main Paineframe posted:

1) non-whites start moving into a prosperous 95+% white neighborhood with friendly neighborhood cops

2) white flight. all the white people immediately sell their homes and move to the suburbs to get their racially homogenous wonderland back, while telling everyone who'll listen that their old neighborhood is a blighted hellscape full of the "wrong sorts of people"

3) housing costs and local tax income go way down because so many people are leaving. the local government stops investing in the neighborhood, the police presence turns into a bunch of brutal fascists, the infrastructure falls into ruin, social services get defunded, local businesses shut down, etc

4) once the churn and turmoil from that rapid decline settles down a bit, the low housing costs and abundance of cheap commercial spaces tends to attract young, unattached, creative-thinking types. university students and young professionals, artists and hobbyists, and niche business ideas. the neighborhood's reputation begins to improve, the local government starts to show interest again, infrastructure and services start getting repaired, and after a few years the neighborhood is considered to have developed its own unique character and is often regarded as trendy, artsy, or up-and-coming

5) gentrification. around now, all the older people who fled the city before are starting to get tired of the suburbs, don't need the big house anymore now that their kids have graduated, are tired of the long commutes, and so on. at the same time, young people just starting high-paying careers are moving to the city and want a neighborhood with a little more flavor than the wealthy white enclaves where all their new bosses live. so naturally they all descend on this neighborhood - it's trendy, artsy, has the smell of recent urban renewal, and to top it all off, it's cheap!

6) the influx of wealthy white people suddenly desperate to live there sends rents skyrocketing. most of the existing residents, being poor, are unable to keep up with the rising rents and are forced out by the high prices. the rising rents and rapid demographic changes cause some of the small businesses and arts stuff to close down, and they're promptly replaced by the same old luxury high-priced bullshit that every other wealthy neighborhood has. this makes things even more expensive for the existing residents and forces even more out, etc.

7) the neighborhood has transformed into another generic ultra-white upper-middle-class enclave, served only by the same old luxury brands and chains. the only remaining sign that anyone but bankers and doctors and retirees ever lived there are a couple of murals. after a few years, the young rich start popping out kids and begin complaining that the neighborhood is boring and has lost its unique flavor. once prices stabilize, a well-off black person moves in. return to step 1

this is mostly correct but you forgot the step where non black minorities (usually Hispanic) displace the black population, because empirical evidence shows that whites will absolutely not move into a black neighborhood

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah i think people forget that the US emulates typical South/Central American racism where the dumb 'Im not racist, but' sector of whites absolutely distrusts mestizos and mullatos. So their friend the equally racist White Latino is just adding a little cultural spice with their Thai/Peruvian fusion place or whatever

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

so you're a gentrifier, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/NBCNewYork/status/979333461180895232