Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just got a gas spring dual mount after having only used the built in stands on monitors and I’m having an issue that hopefully is something dumb I’m missing.

The monitors aren’t level at all left to right, and I can’t figure out how to straighten them.

It’s this one: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=15525

:(

E- I only need to turn it 5 degrees

Snowy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
With great care, try turning it with a monitor mounted onto it. The leverage can help.

Secondly, have you tried rotating it 355 degrees in the opposite direction?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

SwissArmyDruid posted:

With great care, try turning it with a monitor mounted onto it. The leverage can help.

Secondly, have you tried rotating it 355 degrees in the opposite direction?

It just doesn’t seem to give at all either way and I’m afraid I’m going to break something if I push it harder with a monitor attached.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

my Vivo one was a bit sticky too, i just put more force into it. You might be able to leverage a screwdriver into one of the mount holes. Once it breaks loose it should be easier to adjust again

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Deviant posted:

my Vivo one was a bit sticky too, i just put more force into it. You might be able to leverage a screwdriver into one of the mount holes. Once it breaks loose it should be easier to adjust again

Thanks I’ll try a screwdriver. Part of me was afraid you guys would go “they don’t turn that way dummy, that thing is hosed”

Which seemed unlikely but hey you never know

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Update: thank you! I put a long screwdriver in it and had to wrench that thing way harder than I could have done with a monitor.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Volguus posted:

To be fair, I envy you that you can be happy with a $100 monitor.

What I was working with before was like 10 year old garbage.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have an Acer XZ350CU that's running from my GTX 970 at 144hz. I also have an older ASUS monitor. I bought a display port -> HDMI cable in the hopes of daisy chaining the monitors, but I don't get any signal on the ASUS. Should I be able to daisy chain like that or is it not possible? If it is possible is there something I need to do in Windows to get it to work? I flipped through my monitor settings but didn't really see anything that seemed relevant.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

prom candy posted:

I have an Acer XZ350CU that's running from my GTX 970 at 144hz. I also have an older ASUS monitor. I bought a display port -> HDMI cable in the hopes of daisy chaining the monitors, but I don't get any signal on the ASUS. Should I be able to daisy chain like that or is it not possible? If it is possible is there something I need to do in Windows to get it to work? I flipped through my monitor settings but didn't really see anything that seemed relevant.

You can only daisychain multiple monitors over Displayport, and only if they support MST.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So even the last monitor in the chain needs displayport in (i.e. the DP -> HDMI cable can't just convert the signal?) My Acer monitor has displayport out so I just assumed that meant I could daisy chain out, but I also don't see anything about MST anywhere. What else would the DP out be for?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

prom candy posted:

So even the last monitor in the chain needs displayport in (i.e. the DP -> HDMI cable can't just convert the signal?) My Acer monitor has displayport out so I just assumed that meant I could daisy chain out, but I also don't see anything about MST anywhere. What else would the DP out be for?

Most DP->HDMI cables don't actually convert the signal, your video card just sees that they're there and starts sending a HDMI signal out the DP port. That's officially called a DP++ port when it's capable of doing that, and not all are (though the vast majority are). The cable itself is just a dumb cable with different plugs on each end.

There are active DP->HDMI converters that actually take a DP signal in, but they're rare (because they're mostly unnecessary) and expensive compared to the cables.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ah, dang. I flip back and forth between my PC and my macbook so I was hoping for a solution where I didn't have to change the input on both monitors all the time. Looks like I can get a multi-monitor KVM switch with displayport for the low price of $450!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

prom candy posted:

Ah, dang. I flip back and forth between my PC and my macbook so I was hoping for a solution where I didn't have to change the input on both monitors all the time. Looks like I can get a multi-monitor KVM switch with displayport for the low price of $450!

Isn't $450 just another Tuesday for a Mac owner?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yes but that money is earmarked for Apple products. Anyway I tried out the dualies with two cables tonight and with my 34" ultra wide it's too much head cranking so it's a moot point. Appreciate the help though!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

prom candy posted:

Yes but that money is earmarked for Apple products. Anyway I tried out the dualies with two cables tonight and with my 34" ultra wide it's too much head cranking so it's a moot point. Appreciate the help though!

Get a vertical stand and TWO 34"s :science:

eames
May 9, 2009

newegg has the Dell S2417DG on sale for $329

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
I have an oooold 32 inch 720 TV that I play ps4 on. I sit right in front of the tv and rarely have friends over to play coop, which to my limited knowledge means I’d be better off getting a higher quality picture and could actually go down in size. That sounds like a monitor to me. I’ve had vague plans for a while to buy a medium gaming pc but with crypto driving prices up it doesn’t seem like a great time to build a machine when I’m perfectly happy with my ps4. My understanding is that a ps4 (or ps4 pro) doesn’t play nice with 1440p.

So, I think I’m looking for a 24 inch IPS 1080p 60hz monitor. Can I get a good one for like ~150$?

Am I way off base anywhere here? Any recommendations?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Ps4 doesn't output at anything other than 1080p/4k, there were rumors of a firmware to allow 1440p but that was probably someone's wishlist. I heard one of xboxes was going to support 1440 though? As for the monitor I use a cheap 27in aoc ips for my ps4 and it was 180 a couple years ago, I'd imagine you could find a 27in for your price range.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
So 27 inch isn’t too big for 1080p? That was the only reason I was looking at 24 inch. That and I’m so close to the monitor either way.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I feel like that is personal preference, but I had no issues with it on ps4 or when it's on my pc.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I have used my ps4 on a 27” monitor since that console came out. Sure the aliasing might be more noticible but I have had an A+ shootmans experience nevertheless.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Lackmaster posted:

So 27 inch isn’t too big for 1080p? That was the only reason I was looking at 24 inch. That and I’m so close to the monitor either way.

I used a 27" 1080p monitor for ages, it's fine.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Hey goons, I need a couple of 23-24 inch monitors for making art on and being color accurate. I work TV animation, and I am often asked to paint things and I need my color range more consistent with other people in the industry. Every one in the biz uses an Imac, but I'm a PC person so i would need an IPS display that would sorta get close to that of an apple screen. I don't think I need 4k or even 2k. This is the monitor I have had my eye on, what do you all think?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Computer-Ultrasharp-U2415-24-0-Inch/dp/B00NZTKOQI

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Typical posted:

Hey goons, I need a couple of 23-24 inch monitors for making art on and being color accurate. I work TV animation, and I am often asked to paint things and I need my color range more consistent with other people in the industry. Every one in the biz uses an Imac, but I'm a PC person so i would need an IPS display that would sorta get close to that of an apple screen. I don't think I need 4k or even 2k. This is the monitor I have had my eye on, what do you all think?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Computer-Ultrasharp-U2415-24-0-Inch/dp/B00NZTKOQI

It's a good monitor, I used one as my primary display for a while and now I use it as a secondary display.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Typical posted:

Hey goons, I need a couple of 23-24 inch monitors for making art on and being color accurate. I work TV animation, and I am often asked to paint things and I need my color range more consistent with other people in the industry.
Just thought it was worth asking, but do you have some sort of calibration and profiling solution already? Since you're actually working, I'm guessing you do have something just to make sure you're actually getting and can maintain the colour accuracy you're looking for.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Grog posted:

Just thought it was worth asking, but do you have some sort of calibration and profiling solution already? Since you're actually working, I'm guessing you do have something just to make sure you're actually getting and can maintain the colour accuracy you're looking for.

I do not, but my buddy from work is willing to let me borrow his every once and a while. Its one of electronic doohickeys that sits on the screen, Could not tell you the brand though. I figured I would do this a couple times a year. Seemed viable to me? But dunno if i should go more hardcore than that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Typical posted:

I do not, but my buddy from work is willing to let me borrow his every once and a while. Its one of electronic doohickeys that sits on the screen, Could not tell you the brand though. I figured I would do this a couple times a year. Seemed viable to me? But dunno if i should go more hardcore than that.

That should be fine, a couple times per year is about normal for people who are dependent on color accuracy for their work.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What's the cheapest I can get a 27" VESA mountable monitor for? I think I've talked my work into buying me some more screen space to be an Excel monkey in, if I can get it to the right price point, but I'm having trouble finding any to begin with.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ItBreathes posted:

What's the cheapest I can get a 27" VESA mountable monitor for? I think I've talked my work into buying me some more screen space to be an Excel monkey in, if I can get it to the right price point, but I'm having trouble finding any to begin with.

What is the right price point?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

ItBreathes posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#W=2700&v=75075,100100,100200,200100,200200,400200&sort=price&page=1

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thanks,l. I feel kinda dumb now.

Sickening posted:

At $200 it'd be any easy sell, at $300 I might have trouble.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 2, 2018

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is there any reason not to buy the LG 27UD58-B? Are Korean IPS monitors still comparable quality to their Japanese/American counterparts while being suspiciously cheaper? I only really want 27" IPS and 1440p at 60Hz. (Don't need 4K or 120+Hz.) The LG is less expensive than the Asus (PB278Q) or the Dell (U2515H) I looked at, but higher resolution.

Note: I am in Japan, so referring to Amazon.com prices doesn't help me. Amazon.co.jp is fine, if that floats your boat.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I thought I asked for monitor arm recommendations in this thread, but maybe it was a different thread. Oh well.

I was browsing Amazon for desk arms and a lot of the ones I see are for screens up to 27" and 15 lbs or so. My screen is 30" (VESA 100x100) and weighs 24 lbs. Can anyone recommend a decent arm for my fatass screen?

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 3, 2018

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

DizzyBum posted:

I thought I asked for monitor arm recommendations in this thread, but maybe it was a different thread. Oh well.

I was browsing Amazon for desk arms and a lot of the ones I see are for screens up to 27" and 15 lbs or so. My screen is 30" (VESA 100x100) and weighs 24 lbs. Can anyone recommend a decent arm for my fatass screen?

I'm pretty sure the best buy here is the Amazon Basics arm, which is literally an Ergotron arm but cheaper and without the badge. I bought the wall mounted version a while back and it even came in a box with a Chinese label that said Ergotron.

I just checked the user guide and they're apparently rated to 25lbs (11.3kg).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

I think the varidesk arms are a lot better than the amazon basic poo poo. They are also rated for up to 20 on paper and more in practice.

The only downside is having a desk that is compatible with the mounting bracket.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Funny enough, Slickdeals has a monitor arm on the frontpage right now:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11437863-north-bayou-full-motion-monitor-mount-w-gas-spring-17-27-displays-21-90

I think what I'll do is order one and try it with my big monitor for Science! :science: If it can't support it, I'll use it with my smaller secondary monitor.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Funny enough, Slickdeals has a monitor arm on the frontpage right now:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11437863-north-bayou-full-motion-monitor-mount-w-gas-spring-17-27-displays-21-90

I think what I'll do is order one and try it with my big monitor for Science! :science: If it can't support it, I'll use it with my smaller secondary monitor.

The 20 dollar monitor arm is totally going to be a quality buy.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sickening posted:

The 20 dollar monitor arm is totally going to be a quality buy.

I wanted a cheap arm that works with my smaller/lighter monitor anyway. I doubt it'll hold up my main monitor, but no harm in trying.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
I ended up buying the Asus VA32AQ, but I didn't realize we've transcended HDMI cables. I'm only able to display at 1080 over HDMI and not 1440 even after updating my drivers. It sounds like I need to use DisplayPort to get up to 1440, the problem is I don't have that on my GPU.

Monitor input:
DisplayPort
HDMI
VGA

Video card output:
HDMI
DVI-D
VGA

I'm 95% sure I need to buy a new graphics card but I wanted to post here just to make sure that is the case.

A friend suggested that he has a DVI-D to HDMI cable he can bring over after work but I'm not sure that will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What is the biggest curved ultrawide I can get with gsync and IPS and >60hz? Seems like 34" if it has gsync, but 38" without gsync. And out of the 34"s available, I definitely want 3440 x 1440 not 2560x1080 right?

edit: oh it looks like they don't do 144hz either? drat.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 4, 2018