Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Spoke to the recruiter, it seems the team is different to the one I previously interviewed with. She asked what my expectations were so I said a six figure number that is about 50% greater than my current salary, and she said that was perfectly fine. I might give it a shot after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I finally get to hire another person and I don't really know what to do besides give them a small technical test that represents a real thing I've had to do that has no gotchas, and talk to them.

It's a junior position but is expecting people to know how JOINs and the commandline work junior? No trivia, just "how would you do this"?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

Spoke to the recruiter, it seems the team is different to the one I previously interviewed with. She asked what my expectations were so I said a six figure number that is about 50% greater than my current salary, and she said that was perfectly fine. I might give it a shot after all.

get paid, son

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Share Bear posted:

I finally get to hire another person and I don't really know what to do besides give them a small technical test that represents a real thing I've had to do that has no gotchas, and talk to them.

It's a junior position but is expecting people to know how JOINs and the commandline work junior? No trivia, just "how would you do this"?

most people who are not full time DBAs will fail to explain different kinds of joins, but yes, knowing that SQL JOIN exists and being able to use it on the spot is a reasonable expectation for most positions

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i dont use join keywords, but i do lots of simple joins just by matchung up the keys

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Gazpacho posted:

i've been "taking whatever comes my way" for 10 years now, it's getting tiresome

hmm, maybe you should have developed some saleable skills instead of wasting your time janitoring unnecessarily dumb c++

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

DELETE CASCADE posted:

hmm, maybe you should have developed some saleable skills instead of wasting your time janitoring unnecessarily dumb c++
wow and here i was just thinking, "what is DELETE CASCADE's opinion on my life trajectory?"

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Just had a programming test wherein you merge sort and extract the 29th character from each row and boom it's moby dick.

But uh, the whole "email is your code and the output at jobname@companyname.com" thing was the real fun part :q:

The spam filter kept bouncing it because a zip file with code or "Dick" I dunno? It took me literally all day to actually turn it in.

Anyway I just won $200 merge sorting, and this is a better experience than most screening processes and ESPECIALLY Hackerrank style poo poo.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Gazpacho posted:

wow and here i was just thinking, "what is DELETE CASCADE's opinion on my life trajectory?"

the first step on the road to recovery is always the hardest one, good luck goon

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Not knowing about joins for a position that involves SQL, junior or not, is unacceptable. That's like admitting you don't know what inheritance is for a programming position.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

qhat posted:

Not knowing about joins for a position that involves SQL, junior or not, is unacceptable. That's like admitting you don't know what inheritance is for a programming position.

so actually pretty common is what you're saying

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

dragon enthusiast posted:

so actually pretty common is what you're saying

Correct. And you don't want to be common. Common is unacceptable.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

qhat posted:

number that is about 50% greater than my current salary

i used this method to get a number for the company that wouldn't move forward without one and i think they ghosted me

im still super upset that the feds pulled my job offer but if anyone else wants to be a fed compy toucher the US Army Cyber Somethings put a bunch of stuff on USAJOBS.
of course i applied because i hate everything.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

tell them it depends on their RSU vesting schedule

that and their cap table obv

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i am again reminded that i share a name with some variety of enterprise software as some bottom of the barrel recruiter asks me if i have experience with [my name]

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

qhat posted:

just know the difference between left and inner and you'll be fine.

I've used cross join maybe a few times in my career, and basically never use anything else.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
lateral joins are sick

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah but is it implemented as a hash join, nested loop join, or sort merge join?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
oh that's a good interview question, I have no idea :thumbsup:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I did an interview today and guess what

they saw my github repositories

they even read my blog posts! :vince:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

be glad they didn't read your other posts

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
how long does it usually take to hear back after phone screens for people? I’ve had a bunch of initial contact “oh we’re very excited” stuff that seems to get memory holed between the recruiter and the hiring manager

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

uncurable mlady posted:

how long does it usually take to hear back after phone screens for people? I’ve had a bunch of initial contact “oh we’re very excited” stuff that seems to get memory holed between the recruiter and the hiring manager

the bigger the company the longer time

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

dragon enthusiast posted:

has anybody gotten an interviewee accompanied by a helicopter parent yet

haha, nobody woul

Symbolic Butt posted:

yes, it was the saddest scene

WHAT??

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sounds like something my parents would do

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

the bigger the company the longer time

Tbh phone screening isn't really a tough decision where you need to line up all your candidates post interview, even for Microsoft I heard back within a week. I feel it's the on site interviews that take a long time, they typically have a lot less flexibility, and you need to make sure everyone is done before you decide. YMMV though.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

if after a phone screen a company takes weeks and weeks to make a decision definitely call them and ask what the hell is going on

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

oh that's a good interview question, I have no idea :thumbsup:

Is it though? The whole point of a declarative language like SQL is that I don't give a gently caress how the tables are joined, I just want them joined like this. Some dorks in the 70s figured out the best way to do it, and as a sex-having brogrammer I benefit from their effort.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I got ghosted on two phone screens today and had a networking thing setup that got canceled as well. What a day.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ADINSX posted:

Is it though? The whole point of a declarative language like SQL is that I don't give a gently caress how the tables are joined, I just want them joined like this. Some dorks in the 70s figured out the best way to do it, and as a sex-having brogrammer I benefit from their effort.
Yeah only the DBMS implementer should care how it’s actually performing the join

Seems like a bad question for a SQL person

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ADINSX posted:

if the interviewer doesn’t ask what your lifting program is you should pass immediately

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
k, thanks for the info. I haven’t interviewed in like three years and i hate everything about this

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
well, if you have a seemingly-simple query that's taking forever to run then you're gonna end up looking at a query plan to figure out (a) what the root cause is and (b) what to do about the root cause

and you're going to need to understand how those types of join work in order to do something about it

lol if you think you're ever going to have a DBA who will actually help you with this sort of thing as opposed to impeding poo poo

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

as a former dba, and probably future one again eventually, I just want more ram and hdd space :(

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hmm i dunno man our capex budget is pretty lean this quarter, you'll have to escalate that to the coo

*shovels another $750,000 into the AWS money furnace*

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

well, if you have a seemingly-simple query that's taking forever to run then you're gonna end up looking at a query plan to figure out (a) what the root cause is and (b) what to do about the root cause

and you're going to need to understand how those types of join work in order to do something about it

lol if you think you're ever going to have a DBA who will actually help you with this sort of thing as opposed to impeding poo poo

i am the closest thing my company has to a dba and i will help with this poo poo and i love doing it. send me your inefficient queries all day, i will dig through the explain output until i figure out how to rewrite them to be fast and give you a long explanatory email so you can do better next time! you won't, but it's still enjoyable for me

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Honestly the extent of my debugging slow queries is "Does the thing I'm joining on have an index? Should it?". I've looked at query planner output before but mainly just to look for sequential scans.

I wouldn't disqualify someone for not knowing exactly how databases work, given that they're designed for you to not need to know that. Unless they're a DBA or someone claiming expert-level knowledge of databases specifically.

Not to mention SQL is pretty common outside of the relational database world at this point: Bigquery, Spanner, Spark SQL, Hive. Just because someone claims they're good at SQL doesn't mean they know much about databases.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Xarn posted:

haha, nobody woul

WHAT??

I wasn't part of the interviewing process, I only caught a glimpse of a few candidates. It was an internship position, the parents seemed kind of poor and were like "our son is really smart, unlike us, please he really deserves a chance"

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

hmm i dunno man our capex budget is pretty lean this quarter, you'll have to escalate that to the coo

*shovels another $750,000 into the AWS marketing money furnace*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
just finished 3 hours of phone interviews for junior candidates. I'm done talking for today. on the plus side all seemed pretty smart and I'll probably bring all three in for an on-site.

on the subject of callbacks, I asked my boss what he says to candidates that don't make it.

"I tell them we'll get back to them and then usually don't get back to them"

not about to let that slide after reading this thread.