Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My gut tells me they built it in response to customer demand.
Don't get me wrong, if I could successfully sell a light bulb in a metal box for $1500 I'd do it in a second and probably not even feel bad about it. At least they're not claiming it does anything besides light up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

qirex posted:

Don't get me wrong, if I could successfully sell a light bulb in a metal box for $1500 I'd do it in a second and probably not even feel bad about it. At least they're not claiming it does anything besides light up.

Don't worry, their customers will.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The light makes use of the extra electrons before they can get into the system and noise it all up.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ahahah, oh, this is a thing too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The extra $300 is because in addition to lighting up it has a clock.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

I prefer my clocks with tubes. Really warms up the time.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I have a Marantz SR6011 and I think it looks decent, although it's in a network/AV closet so I never see the thing anyways. Their older stuff looks cool in its own way but I really am not a fan of either designs from back then or the current retro stuff that borrows heavily from that kind of thing. Just personal taste, and mine is probably bad. I'm OK with that.

Lowness 72 posted:

I prefer my clocks with tubes. Really warms up the time.

Completely opposite of my general dislike of older aesthetics, I freakin love nixie tubes, as long as they're in an application it makes sense.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
It lights up and it has meters!!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My gut tells me they built it in response to customer demand.

Feels very much like a dealer prop that customers wanted to own so they offer it at a price that they don’t have to make a lot of them

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's actually kind of cool! Just, $40 cool, not $1800 cool.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

qirex posted:

The base conceit of audiophiles is their sheer determination that they know better than everyone else, including people who design and manufacture electronics for a living as well as the people who record and mix the music .

It's because they're literally all engineers. (Or retired engineers.)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's because they're literally all engineers. (Or retired engineers.)

I deal a bit in vintage audio and I am on Facebook groups where there are tons of retired engineers. These people have literally built up countries around the world, they have built oilrigs and airfields, and handground parts for fighter jet engines and supertanker coolant systems.

Replace a belt on a tape deck? Noooooo, can't do that without a service manual. 3D print a plastic knob or a foot for an old record player? Black magic! Impossible! The only option is to wait years for a parts player to show up! Maybe scan in a rare AM/FM scale glass for a radio so that you can reproduce clean copies? gently caress off!

But they will happily tell you that partsbin receivers made in the death throes of a bankrupt niche audio manufacturer sound better than anything Sony, Denon or Pioneer ever made.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Oppo, makers of super expensive blu ray players are closing up their consumer electronics wing and the AVS people are mad about having to buy "plastic crap" from other companies.

If only there was some way to take music from discs and convert it to another format!

quote:

I don't mind a plastic 4k blu ray player for 200 bucks, but I demand a good music player and my preferred format is disc, sacd, dvd-a, and cd. I'll continue to baby my 95 which plays sacd, DVD-a and ripped CDs via usb. Pick up a 205? Don't know, but I'll now pay more attention to what's available in a CD/SACD players for my next music player, maybe a marantz.

Not wanting to pay $650-1600 for a digital disc transport = desire for cheap plastic crap

quote:

Sad, but it goes to show that the American public just wants cheap throwaway crap versus quality built products. I feel for the people I've dealt with at Oppo because they have always been awesome to do business with. They will be missed.

No True Oppo Owner

quote:

Most guys who own Oppos would never consider streaming. Best PQ and AQ is number one to us and NetFlix doesn't cut it. Sorry dude.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So why not just keep using the old one you have :confused:

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Jerry Cotton posted:

So why not just keep using the old one you have :confused:

Because they don’t actually own one yet. Most of the people that idolize this crap can’t afford it, and like to pretend they do on message boards.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

evobatman posted:

I deal a bit in vintage audio and I am on Facebook groups where there are tons of retired engineers. These people have literally built up countries around the world, they have built oilrigs and airfields, and handground parts for fighter jet engines and supertanker coolant systems.

Replace a belt on a tape deck? Noooooo, can't do that without a service manual. 3D print a plastic knob or a foot for an old record player? Black magic! Impossible! The only option is to wait years for a parts player to show up! Maybe scan in a rare AM/FM scale glass for a radio so that you can reproduce clean copies? gently caress off!

But they will happily tell you that partsbin receivers made in the death throes of a bankrupt niche audio manufacturer sound better than anything Sony, Denon or Pioneer ever made.

A lot of engineers are part of a very superstitious, woo-woo lot but because they have Rigorous Engineer Training every idea they hold is very rational and good

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I have an Oppo UDP-203 (and a BDP-103 that was its predecessor) and really like it. But I also use spotify all the drat time. The oppo is overpriced but it has some features I like. I'm not overly heartbroken about them closing their consumer division - by the time another format comes out I'm sure there will be something else that has said features, or I won't need/want them anymore.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm down for an oppo CD player or pair of headphones if they go on deeeeeeeep discount.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Panty Saluter posted:

A lot of engineers are part of a very superstitious, woo-woo lot but because they have Rigorous Engineer Training every idea they hold is very rational and good

Oh god yes. The university I went to is known for engineering, but I studied science. The biggest difference I noticed between the scientists and engineers is the the engineers don't care about the "why". They just follow whatever they were taught. And of course, because it's a lot easier to get a job in engineering rather than science, they're really cocky too.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdkyGDqU7xA

This is a very cool and interesting video that also ties in nicely to the whole engineers conversation. His bit on why a resonant plane is so much more "natural" than a pistonic driver is such classic find a conclusion and build an argument to it and it just makes me :spergin:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Oh, honey.

quote:

ATOMIC ACCURACY
Antelope's 10M Atomic Clock will bring out the sonic details you've always dreamed of experiencing.

To get ultimate sonic performance from your system, you need a clock with absolute accuracy and virtually zero jitter. The new Audiophile 10M Atomic Clock is a 10 MHz rubidium atomic reference generator that, paired with Antelope's renowned clocking algorithm, delivers astonishing audio quality. 100,000 times more stable than a typical crystal oscillator, the hyperfine energy levels of the non-radioactive rubidium core enable high-precision timing to 0.03 parts per billion, which equates to a loss of just one second per 1000 years!

All aspects of your sound will benefit - staging and imaging will become pin-sharp, and spectral separation and depth will gain clarity, details, and range. The result will be the analogue immersion, dynamics, and detail that you always wished for.

FEATURES:

RUBIDIUM CORE - with accuracy of 0.03ppb (parts per BILLION)

EASE OF OPERATION - Just connect it and power it on

ULTRA-PRECISE ATOMIC OSCILLATOR - Stability of 1 second per 1,000 years

BUILT TO LAST - Extremely sturdy mechanical construction

BNC OUTPUTS - Two 10MHz BNC Outputs

PERFECT MATCH - It goes hand-in-hand with the Zodiac Platinum DSD DAC

THE CHOICE OF PROS

10M is the preferred clock for trendsetting producers, audio engineers, artists and movie post-production studios.

The Audiophile 10M Atomic Clock (a.k.a. Baby 10M) is an upgraded and enhanced version of the Antelope’s Isochrone 10M, which has become a new industry standard for ensuring audio quality and accurate sound reproduction. Leading producers, sound engineers, artists, and movie post production studios worldwide are using the 10M Atomic Clock together with our high-end Trinity master clock. They usually describe it as “mind-blowing”, an “instantaneous improvement”, “superior”, and fundamental in bringing “more detail, ambiance, and naturalness” to the digital signal. The results are described as “wider and more solid” with “crisp transients and a 3D depth of field.”
This experience is no longer exclusive to music and film studios. Exactly the same clocking technology and atomic precision is now available to the home audio listener.

A PERFECT PARTNER

10M is Zodiac Platinum’s best friend.

The Audiophile 10M is especially designed to match the aesthetics of the Zodiac Platinum DSD DAC, which also has a direct 10MHz input. The pair are visually and technically perfect for each other, and together they transfer high-end studio technology directly to the home environment. With the Zodiac Platinum / 10M combo, for the first time ever, the home listener has the chance to experience the music with the same technology it was created with, sounding exactly the way it was meant to by the sound engineers that worked on it.

A BREEZE TO USE

Use 10M with any device with a 10 MHz (BNC) input and clock two units simultaneously.

Bring the original, unspoilt source to your speakers simply by connecting this ultra-accurate 10MHz clock and turning it on. The Zodiac Platinum DSD DAC will automatically switch from its crystal oscillator to the atomic clock reference, still using the 4th generation of Acoustically Focused Clocking algorithm implemented in the DAC, the same as it is in the top level Trinity Master Clock.

You can use your Audiophile 10M Atomic Clock with any device that supports 10MHz (BNC) input clock and clock two devices simultaneously.

ROCK SOLID & GREEN

The 10M Atomic Clock was designed to endure and stay eco-friendly.

The Audiophile 10M Atomic Clock is made from only high-grade materials, including a custom-machined aluminum front panel. This sturdy mechanical construction makes it highly resistant to mechanical shocks. The much smaller chassis and heat sink of the Baby 10M, compared to that of its elder brother, is due to the implementation of energy saving technology, allowing three times less power consumption and thus a greatly reduced heat level.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

The best part is when we discover it isn’t even a good clock.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I have no idea if any pros use that model but a really good master clock is invaluable in a studio using dozens of pieces of equipment that need to stay in absolute lockstep to not have your very expensive production turn into mud.

As far as syncing a single source to a DAC.....eh, not so much

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It doesn't even have to be super accurate, as long as every device in the chain is slaved to the same clock.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Yeah that sub -100dB jitter noise is really smearing the music

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

from our own headphone thread

Bodyholes posted:

While ASR is a useful site, it's important to keep in mind the limitations of measurements. Measurements often tell you about edge cases but not how well a device actually performs for typical listening. That especially holds true for amps.

The O2 amp is a classic example of this. In terms of distortion and linear volume it measures well, but in practice it's clearly lacking in detail compared to other amps even in the price range, and it tends to sound artificially loud and fatiguing in any passage of music. It's also very lacking in the power department. Yet everyone on r/headphones says that's all you need, while angrily pointing to the O2 doing perfect square waves, and there are folks at ASR that claim to be fully content running Aeon Flows off of them (my ears hurt just thinking about that).

It's the sort of thing I would classify as "objectivist snake-oil", overextending the implications of a measurement without applying the same skepticism towards its value. The tech equivalent is like someone pointing to Internet Explorer getting a good score on Sunspider and saying "aha, clearly it's the fastest then"! You can design dacs and amps to handle edge cases perfectly and then suck for general listening unfortunately, which makes all of this more difficult than it has to be.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

lol nice

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

O2 lacking in power? That's pretty rich.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Measurements don't matter because I don't like the results and the buyer remorse is kicking in, so I will use the same old tired "you can't disprove an orbiting teapot exists" argument.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Palladium posted:

Measurements don't matter because I don't like the results and the buyer remorse is kicking in, so I will use the same old tired "you can't disprove an orbiting teapot exists" argument.

It's always amazing when people use that argument against empiricism.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

KozmoNaut posted:

O2 lacking in power? That's pretty rich.

The guy making the original post was running the O2 on batteries, and said Goon was copy-pasting it as proof that it wasn't a good amp.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Yeah I was pretty surprised that ^ was the response to my post.

Even better is that I work in the tech industry and understand JIT compilation measurements and performance benchmarks of browsers and they are completely different from audio.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

TomR posted:

Post a photo please. This thread is for mocking people's home decorating and carpet cleaning skills. Plus I like to see speakers.

I meant to post this ages ago but I totally forgot. Please make fun of my mediocre housekeeping skills.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bargearse posted:

I meant to post this ages ago but I totally forgot. Please make fun of my mediocre housekeeping skills.

nice empty dvd case just left out. how do you live with yourself

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Furniture with built in physical media storage, how retro

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
please tell me those speaker stands have gas struts in them

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Bargearse posted:

Thank you. Those speakers look delightfully silly.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Bargearse posted:

White Xbox LOL.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

qirex posted:

Oppo, makers of super expensive blu ray players are closing up their consumer electronics wing and the AVS people are mad about having to buy "plastic crap" from other companies.
Pfft. Cambridge Audio did a series of players based on those Oppos and were even more expensive and hopefully had even less "plastic crap"

I bought the Cambridge Audio 752DB as it was the cheapest non-lovely HDMI to 7.1 preamp and it has suited my needs quite well. My next best option was either to hunt down a Chinese 7.1 preamp that does 4k HDMI or just go and buy the best preamp/AV from Marantz (ugly for the price), Denon (I dunno I don't like them), Anthem (my god they're ugly and go for that much??) or the actually somewhat okay looking Yamaha. Shame that they're over 2k, whereas the overpriced "Blu-Ray player" had 2 SPDIF inputs, two 2 HDMI ins, competent universal file player, played all but the UHD Blu-Ray 12 cm discs available for consumers was going for 1k so I picked that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

please tell me those speaker stands have gas struts in them

Sadly no.

But they bloody well should.