Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Jonny Nox posted:

As someone whos caught 480v (dc) across one hand it's not that painful.

As someone who took 480 in my left hand and out my right bicep, eat a dickkkkkkkkkkk.

Change your weld gloves when you're in the middle east, children. Otherwise you spend 2 weeks in a hospital bed because your heart looks like the roller coaster of love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've taken both 2100V and 250,000V at 1000W delivered. I know because I was measuring it :haw:.

Surprisingly 2100V hurt more.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

As someone who took 480 in my left hand and out my right bicep, eat a dickkkkkkkkkkk.

Change your weld gloves when you're in the middle east, children. Otherwise you spend 2 weeks in a hospital bed because your heart looks like the roller coaster of love.

Wait 240v. I'm remembering way wrong. Nvm my story sucks. (Yours is still good)

I did get some nice electrical burns in high school failing to make a tesla coil for a physics project though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've been shocked plenty of times, but the only one where I actually got hurt was loving around with a disposable camera flash.

I don't know why but that one stuck with me.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I had an uncle who had an hvac company growing up. My cousins and I used to shock each other with manual fireplace starters for fun.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Goober Peas posted:

I had an uncle who had an hvac company growing up. My cousins and I used to shock each other with manual fireplace starters for fun.

Yeah zapping each other with stove clickers was a big thing in my early High School years.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've been shocked plenty of times, but the only one where I actually got hurt was loving around with a disposable camera flash.

I don't know why but that one stuck with me.

My friends and I used to charge up one of these in my high school tech class and leave it laying around in conspicuous places for unwitting curious rubes to pick up :haw: It was never not hilarious to hear a startled yelp and see the thing go flying across the room. We even got the teacher, who I think was more amused than anything (after the initial shock wore off, of course). The one we had contained a sizable 330v capacitor, IIRC. I don't remember the uF.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Memento posted:

Yeah zapping each other with stove clickers was a big thing in my early High School years.

Knock it up a notch with 50kV ESD test guns. (Yes, guilty)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A charged capacitor is also called an idiot grenade for that reason.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The only shock I've experienced that ever caused any lingering issues or real pain was a static charge that built up while I was driving a forklift around and when I touched a machine (while still seated on said forklift) there was a small arc flash and it felt like something punched straight down my arm through my index finger. I was barely able to move my index and middle finger on my right hand for over an hour and it wasn't until the end of shift before I could actually fully close my hand again. My boss was pissed when it was discovered the forklift had no proper anti-static strap.

E: My brother and I used to challenge each other to hold onto electric fence wires when we were kids, could barely keep my hand on it for more than a half dozen shocks or so. After I got goats at the farm I could hold the electric fence wire (I think it was around 10kV, maybe?) for 10 minutes solid while letting the goats in an out of the barnyard cause I was too lazy to shut the fence off.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 30, 2018

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Dave Inc. posted:

Hey the fuse-bolts haven't blown yet, it's operating fine.

Still good for plenty more current. See textbook: https://imgur.com/a/9bRWl

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Handy, I was wondering what size I should choose.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Worst I ever got was trying to push a lawnmower spark plug lead further down the plug because it was slipping off, while the engine was idling. :science:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

BloodBag posted:

Worst I ever got was trying to push a lawnmower spark plug lead further down the plug because it was slipping off, while the engine was idling. :science:

I was once testing for spark but I didn't have a remote starter hooked up. The plugs were too far to see from where I needed to stand to hold the key so I picked one up, held it against the block and turned the key. I don't know what I expected but it was certainly making sufficient voltage.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I've been shocked by distributor leads, it's definitely unpleasant, our autoshop teacher let us play with live leads off of a working distributor model. We shocked and burned each other for like 10 minutes before he put away the model, it was one of my favorite memories of that class

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I learned the hard way what an impulse coupling magneto is when I got zapped turning it slowly by hand...

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Javid posted:

This was removed from a vehicle at my mechanic's shop today while I was there:

Plenty of life in that rotor.. It's barely into the wear-bars!

The 1999 Jeep XJ I got last fall actually seperated the disk from the hub when I removed the rotor..

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I was repairing a lab strobe light. Strobe had two sets of leads, a kilovolt supply to ionize the tube and a DC supply to charge a cap that discharges to produce an arc. I take it all apart, resolder the leads, and figure hey, I'll turn it back on to check if it works properly before I put it all back together.

Which which lead the hand holding the lamp was touching.

That was the low-current side of the transformer, so I just made a noise like "hnnngh" as every muscle in my upper body hypercontracted, and I dropped the lamp on the bench. Everyone in the shop turned around and looked at me and collectively realized in an instant what had happened.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slack3r posted:

The 1999 Jeep XJ I got last fall actually seperated the disk from the hub when I removed the rotor..

That's the weirdest cooling vane setup I've ever seen.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Enourmo posted:

That's the weirdest cooling vane setup I've ever seen.

DBA does something similar.

http://www.dbausa.com/kangaroo-paw-ventilation/

But part of that is cost savings to avoid making left and right specific castings when a car has directional vanes.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
The most painful thing I have ever experienced in any way was from just 48V DC (or thereabouts). I was installing a phone jack, and needed to strip the wires. Being too lazy to fetch a tool for it and being somewhat young and stupid, I just did it with my teeth. Works fine for that kind of phone cable and something I had done before. Only this time it was actually connected to the phone circuit. Teeth are full of nerves that have a high-bandwidth connection straight to the brain, and are apparently decent electrical conductors. I just remember pain on a level I had never before thought possible, my head sort of disconnecting from my body and just focusing on experiencing said pain, and then nothing until I was laying on the floor, things sort of spinning. According to relatives, I had been laying there screaming for a while.

Have never stripped wires with my teeth since. They taste of pain.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
This is what happens when you fit hollow camshafts with pressed on lobes as I assume a cost/weight saving measure. This one included, they always run fine but normally have low common rail pressure codes or similar. I think I've changed at least 3 or 4 per month in the last year or so.

This one was out of an Volvo FH16 750hp

One more:

The gearbox filter on these trucks is a cartridge filter with a plastic cap screwed into aluminium. If you dont clean up the outer edge of the housing when you change the filter you'll tear the cap seal and all of the oil will get pumped out. Out of all the sensors on these automated manual boxes none of them are for oil level.

warcake fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 30, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ionn posted:

The most painful thing I have ever experienced in any way was from just 48V DC (or thereabouts). I was installing a phone jack, and needed to strip the wires. Being too lazy to fetch a tool for it and being somewhat young and stupid, I just did it with my teeth. Works fine for that kind of phone cable and something I had done before. Only this time it was actually connected to the phone circuit. Teeth are full of nerves that have a high-bandwidth connection straight to the brain, and are apparently decent electrical conductors. I just remember pain on a level I had never before thought possible, my head sort of disconnecting from my body and just focusing on experiencing said pain, and then nothing until I was laying on the floor, things sort of spinning. According to relatives, I had been laying there screaming for a while.

Have never stripped wires with my teeth since. They taste of pain.

What's really fun when working on live phone lines is if a call comes in. Suddenly -48v DC becomes 90v AC. That'll wake you up faster than gas station coffee.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

warcake posted:

This is what happens when you fit hollow camshafts with pressed on lobes as I assume a cost/weight saving measure. This one included, they always run fine but normally have low common rail pressure codes or similar. I think I've changed at least 3 or 4 per month in the last year or so.

I'm not sure I get what's going on here.
I see 5 valve springs, I hink? and maybe one of the rockers has shifted over a bit too far?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Slack3r posted:

On the plus side, it's kind of neat to see how some manufacturers design the rotor vanes. That one, for instance, not being just straight bars.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Darchangel posted:

I'm not sure I get what's going on here.
I see 5 valve springs, I hink? and maybe one of the rockers has shifted over a bit too far?

Middle one is the injector. Cam lobe for the injector has spun slightly meaning the injector does not depress at the same time as the exhaust valve (right side) causing them to impact each other.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

warcake posted:

The cost savings are fantastic, as long as they outlast the warranty...

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

More like lolvo amirite?
Still, could be worse. Some of the failure modes on the ISX are loving hilarious, as is Cummins' ignorance about them. I'm glad I only see DD16s these days.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

If MTBF>warranty period, chuck it in the gently caress it bucket.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

chrisgt posted:

I learned the hard way what an impulse coupling magneto is when I got zapped turning it slowly by hand...

When I was getting my private pilot license many years ago, the flying school I was at had a really nice O-320 cutaway on display, with sawed off propeller so you could turn the engine slowly...and a live magento and wires on it.

So naturally, being a bunch of stupid teenagers, the game was for four of us to each grab an ignition wire, and have someone else crank the propeller until someone dropped their wire.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Messing with an MSD ignition (~35kV) on a saltwater-covered engine while standing in saltwater is a terrible idea.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

warcake posted:

Middle one is the injector. Cam lobe for the injector has spun slightly meaning the injector does not depress at the same time as the exhaust valve (right side) causing them to impact each other.

Ah, thanks. I could see the one rocker contacting the spring keeper, but didn’t have enough knowledge to figure it out. Can-actuated injectors in diesels aren’t a thing I’ve encountered.

cakesmith handyman posted:

That works until people stop buying your poo poo because it keeps breaking just out of warranty.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

homebrew posted:

Still good for plenty more current. See textbook: https://imgur.com/a/9bRWl

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

BloodBag posted:

I still remember my dad pulling plug wires on my be cabriolet while it was running and hearing him yell "shut it off!!!!!"

One of the wires was leaky.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TURN IT OFF poo poo THERE’S ELECTRONS GETTING EVERYWHERE

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Data Graham posted:

TURN IT OFF poo poo THERE’S ELECTRONS GETTING EVERYWHERE

Mostly on his body.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
appropriate imgur content:

https://i.imgur.com/DvLFBQe.mp4

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 31, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That is awesome, how is it a horrible mechanical failure? He's even got the ground wire below his left hand.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

"I WAS MADE FOR LOVIN' YOU BABY, YOU WERE MADE FOR LOVIN' ME"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006