Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

That was a dark time for television.

I'm honestly struggling to recall many sitcoms that I have ever enjoyed other than Married With Children. And that's tinted through my childhood memories so it might be horrible.

What was the sitcom where the cast/crew found out they were getting cancelled, so they changed the last season's plot to the characters all killing each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GreenNight posted:

Yes? It was groundbreaking at the time.

Not for like the first 60 episodes.

I don't see what's so groundbreaking about announcing you're gay when every other show on MTV was already doing that.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

Not for like the first 60 episodes.

I don't see what's so groundbreaking about announcing you're gay when every other show on MTV was already doing that.

Roseanne did it first:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Ask,_Don%27t_Tell_(Roseanne)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

It's really good. But I can't see myself ever watching season 5 again.
gently caress, I'm still a season behind (haven't seen 5 yet). I hope you mean that in a good way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

Fun fact, the dude who played her painter was the cousin of my 5th grade teacher

He's also dead.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Josh Lyman posted:

gently caress, I'm still a season behind (haven't seen 5 yet). I hope you mean that in a good way.

Nope

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iron Crowned posted:

Remember when Ellen had a sitcom?

They air reruns on the Laff OTA channel. I've caught some pieces of episodes, it seemed... fine?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josh Lyman posted:

It's a fine season, it's just a slow season. Lot of setting up the pieces for season 6. It probably works better in a binge than weekly, so you should be fine.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish I were a crazy Ryan Murphy level TV guy because I just had a killer idea:

Make a series that is a shot-for-shot adaptation of the first season of The Real World, but with actors.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I watched like the first five minutes of [Fuller House] and its basically ever character walking in and basically explaining what they've been doing for the last couple of decades and then someone says "Where's Michelle?" and they say something about how its a shame she won't leave NYC and really hope she'll come and visit some day soon and then they all stare into the camera.

Then i turned it off.
Same. My morbid curiosity was satisfied.

I kind of appreciate that they didn't waste my time stringing out the "reveals" (like some other reboots).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

I wish I were a crazy Ryan Murphy level TV guy because I just had a killer idea:

Make a series that is a shot-for-shot adaptation of the first season of The Real World, but with actors.

I would watch the poo poo out of this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Remember when Ellen had a sitcom?

My parents loved that show until all of a sudden they didn't :thunk:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's so weird to me that Ellen has had a talk show for 15 years and her sitcom was only like 4.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sometimes I legitimately forget why or how Ellen DeGeneres is a household name at all. I mean she's great, but large parts of her career just kinda vanish from my brain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

Sometimes I legitimately forget why or how Ellen DeGeneres is a household name at all. I mean she's great, but large parts of her career just kinda vanish from my brain.

I think it was the whole ZOMG SHE'S GAY thing that shouldn't have been a big deal but middle america made it into this huge thing for like 6 months. It sort of feels like she got banished to talk show land because she doesn't really act at all anymore.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She was a middling stand-up comic that somehow got a sitcom on a major network. She's a much better talk show host.

Also I forgot she was in the Finding Nemo movies.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
She was actually a super good standup.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tibeerius posted:

Same. My morbid curiosity was satisfied.

I kind of appreciate that they didn't waste my time stringing out the "reveals" (like some other reboots).

Yeah, it managed to perfectly satisfy my curiosity and answer all my questions without making me sit through anything new i wasn't actually interested in. I didn't turn it off because I was angry or anything, I just got exactly what I was looking for and could turn it off satisfied that I'd never be curious to look back. Thanks, Fuller House, for frontloading it and not trying to lure me in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

She was a middling stand-up comic that somehow got a sitcom on a major network. She's a much better talk show host.

Do you remember the WB networks launch season? That's pretty much everything. Ellen Cleghorne and Mitch Mullany had their own shows proving that literally anyone could get a tv gig.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Man if you like Ellen, Dax Shepard sits down with her for an hour on his podcast. Well good.

Full disclosure, I fell asleep

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Man if you like Ellen, Dax Shepard sits down with her for an hour on his podcast. Well good.

Full disclosure, I fell asleep

That would involve wanting to hear Dax Shepard's voice at any point in your life.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't give two shits about what whacked out views she has in real life, the Roseanne reboot was real good and I hope they work out a way to bring it back full time. It was always one of my favorite sitcoms anyway and it feels like they didn't even miss a beat.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

zoux posted:

It's not directed at anyone I just think it's weird for the president to do that

That sentence has lost all meaning.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Krypton is confusing a bit. So is this Brainiac from the future that also came back in time or did he send himself a message? And Georgina Campbell's hair is on firggin point, I'm loving the shaved in pattern she's sporting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Krypton is confusing a bit. So is this Brainiac from the future that also came back in time or did he send himself a message? And Georgina Campbell's hair is on firggin point, I'm loving the shaved in pattern she's sporting.

He's just Brainiac from their current time. The little ball drone thing was just a scout so he could find another planet to capture or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He's just Brainiac from their current time. The little ball drone thing was just a scout so he could find another planet to capture or whatever.

Yeah but how did he get wind of Krypton early?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but how did he get wind of Krypton early?

Even though the drone already found Krypton, maybe it will take him 3 generations to get there in his cool space ship :v:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rhyno posted:

That was a dark time for television.

I'm honestly struggling to recall many sitcoms that I have ever enjoyed other than Married With Children. And that's tinted through my childhood memories so it might be horrible.

Married with Children is terrible and Roseanne (at its best) was really drat good, so you may have had just a weird childhood.

also Cheers is probably the best older sitcom left where none of the most important cast members (shouts to Coach) have passed away so they need to get on that poo poo. Plus you've got your Obnoxious Hot Takes About Conservatives quotient because John Ratzenberger is an occasional Fox News guest and everyone knows Kelsey Grammar is a really obnoxious conservative, plus I think Kirsty Alley has said some dumb poo poo too. And on the other end you have Woody Harrelson, who is basically a commie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

it should also be pointed out that CBS really wants in on this sitcom revival game but they've already brought Kevin James back to TV, and the only other really classic sitcoms they've had have lost cast members so unless they make Some People Don't Particularly Like Royce Starring Ray Romano Again, Murphy Brown is like the best chance they have until we're all old enough to have nostalgia for How I Met Your Mother (where they can do the same thing to it's terrible ending that Roseanne did)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Weren't there recently rumblings about a How I Met Your Father revival/spinoff/clone?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 29, 2018

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Put one more on the pile:

quote:

The Disturbing Secret Behind An Iconic Cartoon

Robyn Byrd and Katie Rice were teenage Ren & Stimpy fans who wanted to make cartoons. They say they were preyed upon by the creator of the show, John Kricfalusi, who admitted to having had a 16-year-old girlfriend when approached by BuzzFeed News.

(click the picture for the article but it does not get any better from that header image)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Without reading it there's nothing about "the creator of Ren and Stimpy is a creep" that shocks me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

also Cheers is probably the best older sitcom left where none of the most important cast members (shouts to Coach) have passed away so they need to get on that poo poo. Plus you've got your Obnoxious Hot Takes About Conservatives quotient because John Ratzenberger is an occasional Fox News guest and everyone knows Kelsey Grammar is a really obnoxious conservative, plus I think Kirsty Alley has said some dumb poo poo too. And on the other end you have Woody Harrelson, who is basically a commie.

I think I read that Harrelson is an anarchist?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

Weren't there recently rumblings about a How I Met Your Father revival/spinoff/clone?

There was supposed to be one immediately following the original show’s end but it never made it past the pilot, and then I think the script was retooled more recently and then passed on again.

Honestly I think that they’re probably just gonna wait a few more years and then do a continuation focused on the kids, probably called “How My Daughter Met My Son-In-Law” or something stupid like that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

lelandjs posted:

There was supposed to be one immediately following the original show’s end but it never made it past the pilot, and then I think the script was retooled more recently and then passed on again.

Honestly I think that they’re probably just gonna wait a few more years and then do a continuation focused on the kids, probably called “How My Daughter Met My Son-In-Law” or something stupid like that.

Wikipedia says they revisited the idea in August 2017 and hired someone to write the script, but since there's nothing in the 7 months since then I assume it died.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think I read that Harrelson is an anarchist?

Anarchist, commie, whatever. The opposite of Donald Trump.

And for the full spectrum of American politics, Ted Danson and Mary Steenbergen are good friends with Bill and Hillary Clinton. Truly a diverse spectrum of American politics.

(I was also kinda right about Alley, she endorsed Trump in April 2016 and unendorsed him after the pussy tape came out)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DC Murderverse posted:

Anarchist, commie, whatever. The opposite of Donald Trump.

And for the full spectrum of American politics, Ted Danson and Mary Steenbergen are good friends with Bill and Hillary Clinton. Truly a diverse spectrum of American politics.

(I was also kinda right about Alley, she endorsed Trump in April 2016 and unendorsed him after the pussy tape came out)

The thetans told her to do it.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

So I heeded the annual list and watched Patriot, what an amazing loving show. Has anyone been able to find a song list for the season? I know Amazon released an EP of the songs John sings but I'm obsessed with the instrumental piece playing when he's climbing the stairs in episode four and struggling to find it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a question: what's the story behind the scars Edward James Olmos has on his cheeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have a question: what's the story behind the scars Edward James Olmos has on his cheeks?

I believe it was a really bad case of acne. Like really bad.