Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Big Word posted:

GBA FFV endgame content is still my favourite. So much to do and so many loose threads from the first two thirds of the game to revisit.

If I wanna play FFV, which translation should I play? The PS1 version patched into an SNES ROM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

LinYutang posted:

Vincent was the worst character. Grimdark ninja who adds nothing to the plot or game really

Yuffie had the entertaining sidequest at least

I dunno, Wutai kind of dragged on a bit and she was a brat of a character that I never used. Really she was only useful in that you can pick up Leviathan from the island, which was a pretty powerful summon.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The only thing trade-off I'd be even a little bit satisfied with in an FFVII remake is if they dropped out whatever in favor of expanding the backstory with the war against Wutai. It's 2018 and for some reason I don't think we're going to be getting the Honey Bee Inn or squat contests. But that's fine (it's not really, but eh). I already have FFVII. If we find out more about the conflict that Shinra used to rise to power and just what the Junon cannon was for originally (holding a whole city hostage), that might be neat.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm sorry but I will not accept any remake that does contain the Honey Bee Inn, or squats, or me dressing up like a pretty princess.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

WMain00 posted:

I'm sorry but I will not accept any remake that does contain the Honey Bee Inn, or squats, or me dressing up like a pretty princess.

I know that's what we all want, but if Square has taught me nothing in the last 15 years, it's that expectations should be very low.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They haven't made a good stand alone FF game in almost 17 years. And they only made 3 of them in that time frame. Anything they release is going to be worse than the PS1 era games when they peaked, especially if that game is a modern remake of a game from that era.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I think the thing I miss most about ps1 era rpgs were the beautiful prerendered backgrounds, ffix especially stands out to me for the amount of detail and animation in its backgrounds. I wish that style hadn’t fallen by the wayside in recent years.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
bravely default is basically your only option to enjoy a modern take on an old style of RPG and that kinda sucks

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
FFIX probably has the best disc 1 of the PS1 era. But after that the game takes a pretty fast nosedive. All the things I really loved, the gorgeous vibrant cities and mysteries to be solved, weren't really there anymore. And then you fight the god of entropy.

scott zoloft posted:

bravely default is basically your only option to enjoy a modern take on an old style of RPG and that kinda sucks

This game still makes me angry.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

FFIX probably has the best disc 1 of the PS1 era. But after that the game takes a pretty fast nosedive. All the things I really loved, the gorgeous vibrant cities and mysteries to be solved, weren't really there anymore. And then you fight the god of entropy.
:yikes:

FF9 is loving amazing, and also that's not what Necron is.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I should probably play ff9

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't think you actually played it past disc 1. FFIX is loving amazing from start to finish. Black Mage Village, Cleyra, Kuja's Palace, the Lifa Tree are just a few of the absolutely gorgeous towns/dungeons.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LinYutang posted:

I should probably play ff9
It's really loving good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

I never quite understood that part in the original where you could find ‘Orthopedic underwear’. I always just assumed it was some poorly translated bit that he’d found her sports bra. (Because her breasts were so huge)

Like hank hill, she has no rear end, and must protect her b-hole while sitting with special underwear.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
IX is really good but I wish there were a few more people to talk to outside the mist continent. The game does such a good job with cities and npcs that I just want more world-building.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

If I wanna play FFV, which translation should I play? The PS1 version patched into an SNES ROM?
I can't speak for the PS1 port at all other than that it has the same reputation for slowdown and annoying loading times as PS1 chrono trigger, but both of the other versions have high quality translations. GBA is more polished, SNES fan translation is more goofy. It comes down to whether you want that extra vertical resolution or the bonus jobs/dungeons (which are actually fuckin tight and worth it imo)

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

FF9s sorta boring and i didnt like the skill learning system. Its a good game but it never grabbed me the way 7 and even 8 did.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

bloom posted:

IX is really good but I wish there were a few more people to talk to outside the mist continent. The game does such a good job with cities and npcs that I just want more world-building.

This is what I mean. The cities on disc 1 were amazing to explore and the rest of the game just felt empty. Obviously there were still events that happened, but they didn't have the pull that the events in disc 1 did.

FactsAreUseless posted:

that's not what Necron is.

It was really uninteresting.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I would replay 9 in a heartbeat if there was a way to completely remove the interminable combat loading screen.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I think it loads pretty quick on vita/ps3

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

scott zoloft posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/451020/Battle_Chasers_Nightwar/

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

It was really uninteresting.

It's a cool looking boss right after the villain with a kickin rad soundtrack. :shrug:

Jimmy Hats posted:

I think it loads pretty quick on vita/ps3

The PC port also has basically nil loading time.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Also you can turn off the 3 seconds of the camera panning around dramatically at the start of battles, which is very nice.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I never cared about the camera sweeping or "load times" when I played it. Come to think of it the only times I've had problems with loading screens was in Morrowind.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

deffo the GBA version

The Big Word posted:

I can't speak for the PS1 port at all other than that it has the same reputation for slowdown and annoying loading times as PS1 chrono trigger, but both of the other versions have high quality translations. GBA is more polished, SNES fan translation is more goofy. It comes down to whether you want that extra vertical resolution or the bonus jobs/dungeons (which are actually fuckin tight and worth it imo)

They're both goofy, but SNES Fan Translation is goofy in a different way than GBA's. It's a lot drier overall but some of their translation choices are hilarious, like when the last crystal explodes and the world is doomed and all Bartz* can say is "Oh poo poo!"

*Butz

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Wii Chocobo's Dungeon is a criminally overlooked little game and the fact that they haven't ported it to mobile astounds me because it may be my favorite FF spinoff. Every stage has remixed music from mainline FF games and it's all good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU6yI6_S-d4

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Big Word posted:

??The Ps1 port is literally a copy of a SNES rom. Pop the disc in your PC, and you can just click and drag the loving ROM right off it.
It has loading time because they hacked together an emulator for it to run on.

I paid for the FF6 one, as I was expecting a hellva lot more than that slapped together bullshit.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'll play the GBA FFV. Thanks all.

Johnny Aztec posted:

??The Ps1 port is literally a copy of a SNES rom. Pop the disc in your PC, and you can just click and drag the loving ROM right off it.
It has loading time because they hacked together an emulator for it to run on.

I paid for the FF6 one, as I was expecting a hellva lot more than that slapped together bullshit.

There's no way the PS1 can emulate an SNES when the original 3DS couldn't even manage it. There's the SNES rom on the disc, but it's there for the PS1 to grab assets from. This explains the atrocious load times. It's loving horrible. You'd think considering FFVI was only like three years old when they made the PS1 version that they'd be able to use the source code or something.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF5 on PS1 has Faris speaking like a pirate (she literally says “Shiver me timbers!” at one point) and horribly translated enemy names like Y Burns, Karl Boss, and my personal favorite, Dinglberries. Then again it also has load times and the translation is pretty underwhelming otherwise.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Solice Kirsk posted:

They haven't made a good stand alone FF game in almost 17 years. And they only made 3 of them in that time frame. Anything they release is going to be worse than the PS1 era games when they peaked, especially if that game is a modern remake of a game from that era.

imo FF15 is one of the best games I've ever played, but ymmv of course.

fishing with the fam posted:

I would replay 9 in a heartbeat if there was a way to completely remove the interminable combat loading screen.

In the ports and remakes, there's no "true" loading, but it's still masked by lots of camera panning because that's hard-coded into the game. The PC remake, however, has a 4x speedup option that can be toggled at the click of a button, so you can just hit speedup whenever you get into a battle. Bonus: unlike emulators, it doesn't speed up the music, only the frameskip.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 29, 2018

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

I might check this out, thanks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

I played maybe an hour or so of FF15 drunk at my friend's house. I couldn't find any enemies to fight, I couldn't drive on the wrong side of the road, and none of FF9's songs came up on the radio. I gave up and we just played the Bushido Blade 2 drinking game.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

now this is a real bad opinion folks

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I played maybe an hour or so of FF15 drunk at my friend's house. I couldn't find any enemies to fight, I couldn't drive on the wrong side of the road, and none of FF9's songs came up on the radio. I gave up and we just played the Bushido Blade 2 drinking game.

1) There aren't too many random encounters in FF15, like once in a while you'll get ambushed by something small, or spot a Cactuar, but usually it's just exploring. If you wanna fight poo poo you gotta go to the local restaurant and enlist in a monster hunt.
2) Your friend just wasn't using the offroad model, which disables auto-drive completely and you drive wherever gently caress you want. Right side of the road, wrong side of the road, off the road... you can go full GTA mode with enemies, too. I was kinda lukewarm on it at first, but then some magitek troopers dropped in front of my car and I was like "... I wonder :allears:" and I gunned it, turned em into roadkill, and got full EXP credit
3) The radio only plays albums you've bought. Every pitstop sells different CDs and paintjobs for your car, but music is like 100 gil for a selected tracks disc, of which there are two from FF9.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

All of that sounds like stuff my friend could have told me instead of laughing at me trying to figure out why the guy looks like he's ice skating when he's running fast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fishing with the fam posted:

play the PS4 version

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
FF8 was my first RPG other than, like, Dragon Warrior on NES, and Castle of the Winds. I was blown away. It took me like two days to figure out how to leave Garden. I still love little details like the in-game Internet.

I didn't have a memory card at first, so I played up to the Dollet mission many times. That beach landing cutscene is so exciting.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mega64 posted:

FF5 on PS1 has Faris speaking like a pirate (she literally says “Shiver me timbers!” at one point) and horribly translated enemy names like Y Burns, Karl Boss, and my personal favorite, Dinglberries. Then again it also has load times and the translation is pretty underwhelming otherwise.

Wait, the whole game? I know shes pretending to be a pirate at the very start

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

She's not pretending to be a pirate, she is one. She just pretends to be a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Gobblecoque posted:

It's a cool looking boss right after the villain with a kickin rad soundtrack. :shrug:

As far as boss fights go it wasn't the worse. I'm usually put off by having multiple bosses in a row because of what a massive pain in the rear end it is if you die, but conceptually this one just didn't do anything for me. I guess it was supposed to pull the themes of the game together, that the characters wanted to love life and experience for the sake of experiencing, but I've never bought into the JRPG trope that you just always have to fight and kill god of some kind or another. Except in SMT because that's the literal plot and the characters are working towards that from the get-go.