Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'd watch Ken M on Vietnam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Ken Burns's The Galactic Civil War

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
The Empire's involvement in the Galactic Civil War began in secrecy. It ended 30 years later, in failure... It was begun in good faith, by decent people, out of fateful misunderstandings, Imperial overconfidence, and Clone War miscalculations. And it was prolonged because it seemed easier to muddle through than admit that it had been caused by tragic decisions, made by both sides...

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
For old punkers, the rise and fall of Chi Pig from SNFU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amb9F1njxcw

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I went and saw Brimstone and Glory last night and it's absolutely incredible. My buddy and I were shocked at how good it was. 70 minutes of brilliant, magical spectacle of slow motion explosions. See in in a theater if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IltiCOy1rU

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 8, 2018

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Netflix US has a film called Diving Into The Unknown, about a group of cave divers.

The focus of the film is the group's mission to recover the bodies of two of their friends who died deep in an underwater cave system.

Cave diving is extremely dangerous, both because of the possibility of entrapment, getting lost, inability to return directly to the surface, and possible obligations for decompression time if the dives are really deep such as the ones these guys do.

The divers are Norwegian but it has English subtitles available.

The film focuses on the emotional responses of the divers to the accident that killed their friends and to the task they are planning. You do get a sense of the type of people who do extreme activities like this, and why they do it even if they are unable to articulate the "why" particularly well.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MeinPanzer posted:

The Empire's involvement in the Galactic Civil War began in secrecy. It ended 30 years later, in failure... It was begun in good faith, by decent people, out of fateful misunderstandings, Imperial overconfidence, and Clone War miscalculations. And it was prolonged because it seemed easier to muddle through than admit that it had been caused by tragic decisions, made by both sides...

Lmao, someone please recreate the "iconic footage played in reverse" bit but with Star Wars please, it would play really well.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Wild Wild Country on Netflix on the Bhagwan cult is mindblowing and every time you think it can't get crazier it does. At one point a former State Attorney mentions bioterrorism using blended beavers in the water supply and you can see he thinks it's probably nonsense but can't 100% be sure.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I ran through I am Innocent and holy poo poo it was both infuriating and hearth-breaking.

Basically it New Zealand people falsely accused of crimes and eventually acquitted. The George Gwaze one was particularly awful.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

CeeJee posted:

Wild Wild Country on Netflix on the Bhagwan cult is mindblowing and every time you think it can't get crazier it does. At one point a former State Attorney mentions bioterrorism using blended beavers in the water supply and you can see he thinks it's probably nonsense but can't 100% be sure.

Beaver fever is a thing. Look up Giardiasis.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SimonCat posted:

Beaver fever is a thing.
How was Beaver Fever never a 70s southern rock band? Or at least one of their album titles.

Also oh hell no I won't google beaver fever at work I'll take your word for it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CeeJee posted:

I just finished this up. The story is insane but the documentary is bad imo. They drag the whole thing out for 6 hours and of that like 10 minutes is spent digging into the poisoning and crazy poo poo that should've been at the center of the story. They really just give sheela and that lawyer dude a platform to say whatever they want to say unchallenged.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Mods please change my name to BLENDED BEAVER FEVER.

I went to summer camp down the road from their crazy compound. They used to tell us stories about them, but I never realized it was so close.

The ranch is now owned by other cult YoungLife :can:

I'll also echo the sentiment that this was effectively 6 hours of soapbox for Sheela and the lawyer dude. All of these people trying to explain away and justify their crimes.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 25, 2018

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Zwabu posted:

Netflix US has a film called Diving Into The Unknown, about a group of cave divers.

The focus of the film is the group's mission to recover the bodies of two of their friends who died deep in an underwater cave system.

Cave diving is extremely dangerous, both because of the possibility of entrapment, getting lost, inability to return directly to the surface, and possible obligations for decompression time if the dives are really deep such as the ones these guys do.

The divers are Norwegian but it has English subtitles available.

The film focuses on the emotional responses of the divers to the accident that killed their friends and to the task they are planning. You do get a sense of the type of people who do extreme activities like this, and why they do it even if they are unable to articulate the "why" particularly well.

I saw this awhile ago, it was good. The scary part was the way the cave system expands beneath the ground, gave me the creeps.

I just saw Take your pills on Netflix, it is about how much pressure there is on people to perform and how it drives them to use Adderall. There was some talk about what kind of society we are creating where it is deemed necessary to take something "extra" to get ahead, but I would not have minded them investigating this angle a little further.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

There was some talk about what kind of society we are creating where it is deemed necessary to take something "extra" to get ahead, but I would not have minded them investigating this angle a little further.

I would like to hear more about this myself, was the doc worth the time?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Do they talk about how widespread benzedrine use and abuse was in the postwar US as a recreational, weight loss and study drug?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I saw this awhile ago, it was good. The scary part was the way the cave system expands beneath the ground, gave me the creeps.

I just saw Take your pills on Netflix, it is about how much pressure there is on people to perform and how it drives them to use Adderall. There was some talk about what kind of society we are creating where it is deemed necessary to take something "extra" to get ahead, but I would not have minded them investigating this angle a little further.
These kinds of stories annoy the poo poo out of me. I've got ADHD, and I see my meds no different than the way somebody else would see glasses. There's probably abuse out there, but to turn the debate into "Do these ADD/ADHD kids really need meds or couldn't they just focus harder?" is no different than saying "Do these nearsighted/farsighted kids really need glasses or couldn't they just focus harder?"

Of course, no, I haven't watched the doc. I can't, I get too defensive and pissed at any argument that parents are babysitting their kids with meds. My parents had that attitude, I never took any ADD meds in school, despite being diagnosed in 7th grade. I barely passed every grade. A decade later I self diagnosed, (I never learned of my 7th grade diagnosis) and started taking Ritalin. It changed my life.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

These kinds of stories annoy the poo poo out of me. I've got ADHD, and I see my meds no different than the way somebody else would see glasses. There's probably abuse out there, but to turn the debate into "Do these ADD/ADHD kids really need meds or couldn't they just focus harder?" is no different than saying "Do these nearsighted/farsighted kids really need glasses or couldn't they just focus harder?"

Of course, no, I haven't watched the doc. I can't, I get too defensive and pissed at any argument that parents are babysitting their kids with meds. My parents had that attitude, I never took any ADD meds in school, despite being diagnosed in 7th grade. I barely passed every grade. A decade later I self diagnosed, (I never learned of my 7th grade diagnosis) and started taking Ritalin. It changed my life.

Are you seriously this naive to think that there isn't widespread abuse of adderall and other ADHD drugs across college and high school campuses? It was a big deal when I was in college and that was 15 years ago.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

magnificent7 posted:

In the case of Adderall, it comes at a real cost. It's terrible for your heart, and that's exacerbated in children who's bodies are still developing. As someone who's struggled with ADD my whole life and was really frustrated with my mom who was very anti-medication, I still would be very hesitant about putting my kids on it. And yeah, a lot of kids don't need it and take it in college as a kind of performance enhancing drug. It's unbelievably widespread.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Do they talk about how widespread benzedrine use and abuse was in the postwar US as a recreational, weight loss and study drug?

RIP Joan Burroughs

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Volkerball posted:

In the case of Adderall, it comes at a real cost. It's terrible for your heart, and that's exacerbated in children who's bodies are still developing. As someone who's struggled with ADD my whole life and was really frustrated with my mom who was very anti-medication, I still would be very hesitant about putting my kids on it. And yeah, a lot of kids don't need it and take it in college as a kind of performance enhancing drug. It's unbelievably widespread.
I totally agree with the abuse by adults - but have a hard time with the argument to just push the kids to work harder. I probably worded that entirely wrong in my first comment about the situation. Yes - it's easily abused... my whine-list is more about the side conversation that maybe ADD meds aren't that necessary if parents just worked with their kids.

I've got three ADD kids, work hard with them, and all three have decided to go without meds; and I support their decision and they all work on ways to excel without the medicine, and it works.

Maybe I'm more pissed that my folks never even told me I was a spaz and just let me think I was an idiot who jumped to conclusions before thinking out my ill-informed response.

NAAAH that can't be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD6qtc2_AQA

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm a big fan of documentaries on nuclear technology. "Countdown To Zero" is scary as hell. NOVA has a couple of good ones, one recent one called "The Nuclear Option" about the cleanup at Fukushima and a bunch of young people run nuclear tech start-ups. Another from the 80's called "Nuclear Strategy For Beginners" is also very good. American experience recently did one about the Manhattan project, but even at 2 hours, it just blazes through stuff way to fast to be interesting.

But the best of any of them is "Trinity And Beyond". Narrated by Shatner and with a score by the Moscow Symphony, nothing is better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Adderall is literally speed and nobody could possibly claim with a straight face that it isn't over-prescribed in America, probably by a couple orders of magnitude.

Yeah it helps you study and do better at everything, because it's speed. You may as well give people chemically pure cocaine, it would achieve the same result.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Julius CSAR posted:

I'm a big fan of documentaries on nuclear technology. "Countdown To Zero" is scary as hell. NOVA has a couple of good ones, one recent one called "The Nuclear Option" about the cleanup at Fukushima and a bunch of young people run nuclear tech start-ups. Another from the 80's called "Nuclear Strategy For Beginners" is also very good. American experience recently did one about the Manhattan project, but even at 2 hours, it just blazes through stuff way to fast to be interesting.

But the best of any of them is "Trinity And Beyond". Narrated by Shatner and with a score by the Moscow Symphony, nothing is better.

Battle of Chernobyl is a great one on the nuclear reactor accident. It was made in the last 10 years or so and has amazingly candid interviews with Mikhail Gorbachev and all kinds of former USSR officials. Tons of great insight into what was really going on and how grave the situation was at the time. Gorbachev was ready to excavate a tunnel under the melted reactor and fill a chamber with liquid nitrogen to try freezing the molten fuel--it was getting that bad.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’m watching Wild Wild Country and I really like it so far but the font they use for all on-screen names and locations is maddening.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I can confirm that a large majority of the people I knew in college took so much adderall. There was a point some people thought I had some and was selling to others cuz I also had ADD but never haven taken it once. You best believe that a large majority of the people studying or writing their papers during finals week were going hard on addys tho

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

magnificent7 posted:

I totally agree with the abuse by adults - but have a hard time with the argument to just push the kids to work harder. I probably worded that entirely wrong in my first comment about the situation. Yes - it's easily abused... my whine-list is more about the side conversation that maybe ADD meds aren't that necessary if parents just worked with their kids.

I've got three ADD kids, work hard with them, and all three have decided to go without meds; and I support their decision and they all work on ways to excel without the medicine, and it works.

Maybe I'm more pissed that my folks never even told me I was a spaz and just let me think I was an idiot who jumped to conclusions before thinking out my ill-informed response.

This is 100% the truth, I dealt with ADHD growing up and my parents never medicated me, they worked with me to help understand my behavior and how to help. My biological dad has addiction issues and was on Ritalin as a kid, but instead of getting help he let it spiral out of control and now he's a pill popping, booze swilling idiot living in a single wide trailer with no friends, because all he did was use people and push them away.

Plus now I get to deal with anxiety and other stuff because I had poo poo family on both sides who assumed for a long time that I was just "acting out" for attention. Yeah, that really loving helps you lazy assholes :rolleyes:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Actually I’d be interested to hear how and why it stopped, the transition from the wartime drug race to peacetime marketing is fascinating but it kind of blows my mind it was ever regulated

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Actually I’d be interested to hear how and why it stopped, the transition from the wartime drug race to peacetime marketing is fascinating but it kind of blows my mind it was ever regulated

War on Drugs. When they came up with the "drug schedule" as part of the Controlled Substances Act, there was an attempt to separate out licit from illicit drugs, and the scheduling was a way to create a gradient that allowed for "the potential for abuse" to exist alongside lucrative and controlled commerce. Notably excluded are the "schedule 0" drugs, alcohol and tobacco.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mind you, it's still easy to get your buzz on legally with "weight loss drugs". They now give out phentermine with barely even an "exam" - a place was even giving it to my grandmother years back, and she was over 60 with heart problems - and that poo poo is potent.

edit: It occurs to me that I'm not being clear enough that I consider this a bad thing. I'm all for legalizing everything, but I'm very much against getting people to take poo poo that severely fucks with your brain and body without making them fully aware of what they're taking/doing

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

War on Drugs. When they came up with the "drug schedule" as part of the Controlled Substances Act, there was an attempt to separate out licit from illicit drugs, and the scheduling was a way to create a gradient that allowed for "the potential for abuse" to exist alongside lucrative and controlled commerce. Notably excluded are the "schedule 0" drugs, alcohol and tobacco.

Makes sense, I’m just surprised the speed lobby didn’t have the pull to do what alcohol and tobacco did given the deep military connection and the demographics of it. It’s not like diet pills were the province of poors and browns, they were manufactured by American Pharma for use by house wives and office workers

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Ive tried watching the Derrida doc on prime many times but goddamn its loving boring

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DeimosRising posted:

Makes sense, I’m just surprised the speed lobby didn’t have the pull to do what alcohol and tobacco did given the deep military connection and the demographics of it. It’s not like diet pills were the province of poors and browns, they were manufactured by American Pharma for use by house wives and office workers

I think it's because amphetamine psychosis is both very common and completely indefensible. But as I said, weight loss clinics do in fact still hand out dangerous stimulants to anyone who wants them.

Just watched Captivated: the Trial of Pamela Smart on Sundance Now. Real good, there's a 7 day trial if you have a Roku and there are a bunch of other great things on there, including the highest definition version of Heavy Metal Parking Lot

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I found that you can find alot of cheaply made documentaries on youtube so I have been unhealthily bingeing the most ludicrous documentaries that the sidebar can recommend.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

I found that you can find alot of cheaply made documentaries on youtube so I have been unhealthily bingeing the most ludicrous documentaries that the sidebar can recommend.

Can you name a couple worth killing time watching?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ropes4u posted:

Can you name a couple worth killing time watching?

Watch some of these and let your side bar just go out of control.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ybBZgN154
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI2BwFyZpt8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_50N5QoQoc4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcTZvNLL0-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c_vmKnrezc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rP81EC2iZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C7mL6oOZFo

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 7, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Man, if you click on like 2 of those your recommendations will go absolutely wild for the next few months.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Billy Mitchell has been officially outed as a fraud, and I have chosen to exploit this opportunity to fondly remember an all-time great documentary character, Brian Kuh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTj7NSHVwSk

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Billy Mitchell has been officially outed as a fraud, and I have chosen to exploit this opportunity to fondly remember an all-time great documentary character, Brian Kuh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTj7NSHVwSk

Just lol if you haven't been spending the day blasting this clip to every group DM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I watched Andre the Giant on HBO last night. It’s not overly long, but man oh man did they interview absolutely every big name that crossed his path. Wrestlers, actors, directors, family, friends, etc.

I wish it delved more into the man himself but it seems that he was a mostly private person so what we hear secondhand from friends is the best we’ll get.

It’s not a groundbreaking doc but that doesn’t make it any less fascinating. The best bit is Hulk Hogan’s blow by blow retelling of the Wrestlemania III match which I think anyone would enjoy even if you’re not into wrestling.