Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Other than the shoutouts in the beginning he seems fine to me. And I never watch people stream, so I'm not really used to that whole awkwardness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Zaodai posted:

True, but it's possible to do it without being a tool about it. The best example I can think of is ChocoTaco, who doesn't swear on his stream by choice and is generally chill, but is mostly just a guy doing his thing.

Sure, sure, I just mean that—the internet being what it is—I'll generally favor too nice over too not.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, watching streamers is all about finding the type of streamer that you enjoy. Cohh wouldn't be so popular if NOBODY liked him. It's just a matter of what your individual taste is. I have plenty of friends who enjoy Cohh's stream, it's just not my jam personally.

Which is fine, because I'm trying to avoid the spoilers as it is.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
May we put into the OP that whatever spoilers come out must be tagged? At least until game launches?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I’m trying to not spoil myself too much but it’s good to hear positive things from other people in the thread

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm still watching the stream cause I don't mind spoilers, and I have to say so far I'm liking everything I've seen so far.

The camera improvements they've made are great. It seems to be doing a better job following mechs while they're running and having better views when weapons fire.

[Edit: Hahah, Cohh just freaked when he found out that it's one-save slot, ironman by default.]
[Edit2: Nevermind, it's not ironman it just automatically saves in a new slot and doesn't ask for a name.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 29, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Can someone who watched that stream give a non-spoilery idea of the content so I know if I want to watch it? I'm not really that bothered about spoilers I just don't want to watch yet another video of content that's mostly been covered already.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The HBS stream has no spoilers. The stream that Cohh is doing right now has shown off the first 2-3 missions of the game, including storyline videos.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RabidWeasel posted:

Can someone who watched that stream give a non-spoilery idea of the content so I know if I want to watch it? I'm not really that bothered about spoilers I just don't want to watch yet another video of content that's mostly been covered already.

The Paradox stream is spoiler free. It covers a little of the mech lab, and then a bunch on the map, the pilot hiring/upgrade system, missions, buying and selling equipment, upgrading the Argo, etc. Basically all the non-combat stuff we haven't seen much of yet.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Is the HBS/Pdox stream up on youtube or anywhere else yet?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pharnakes posted:

Is the HBS/Pdox stream up on youtube or anywhere else yet?

It's on Twitch.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/244262575

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't skip to the start of the stream, just enjoy the music. :allears:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Internet Explorer posted:

The HBS stream has no spoilers. The stream that Cohh is doing right now has shown off the first 2-3 missions of the game, including storyline videos.

Thanks, I watched the Paradox stream, sounds like I'll take a pass on the other one, the guy is probably going to be figuring out how the game works and I presume that the early missions are going to be handholdy (and it would be nice to not get totally spoiled on any potential fun things that happen).

One thing that I did think was interesting from the Paradox stream is that improved weapons are far more common than I expected. There were 3 or 4 of them for sale at the one system that they happened to be at. I wonder if they will be equally common as salvage items; if not, the relative value of cash to salvage might be a bit higher than expected.

Presumably the ++ weapons are going to be fairly rare.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
I just wanted to pop on after watching the pdox and cohh streams and say, "Kiva/isuldur, ya done good."

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Agreed, you were super nervous you said on Twitter Kiva but your stream was amazing. Thanks for no-spoilers!

I am checking out the early character creation stuff while skipping the opening cutscene of the campaign when you click the button, but holy poo poo this game looks so good even just from the drat opening cutscene. I assume there might be a voiceover on launch, but I can recognize so many events in there. Project Deimos, Tau Ceti and New Earth, formation of the Star League, possibly the Reunification War (though it seemed to be more akin to Amaris's schemes to rile up the Periphery), and Amaris shooting Richard Cameron.

E: Holy poo poo I was a bit concerned when I saw only 'select a portrait' but then they clicked the Customize button and HOLY poo poo THAT'S DEEP.

2P: For those wondering about the streams, I glanced at Cohh's stream to check out the customization options, and it only looks like he got through the tutorial missions and the story mission that has already been demoed (the mining one). I saw one little tidbit of a spoiler but it wasn't anything big because, well, it was something you either know or something you already know is wrong, to be vague enough. I'm pretty sure Kamea Arano doesn't die.

If you want to watch it you'll only know some background stuff, and I'm a little happy I know that because I had this whole elaborate backstory planned that doesn't quite work with what they tell you.

3E: I only watched the Paradox stream, a bit of the HyperRPG until they started missions, and OH MY GOD I'M FEELING HYPED GODDAMNIT LESS THAN 4 WEEKS!

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 30, 2018

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
ugh i finally watched the stream and i just wanna crawl in a hole and die.

but instead, i will tell you: i am now 0-1 in the office tournament. It was a grim and total rear end-whooping. I only got any kills at all because I knocked down his Highlander enough times to kill the pilot.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

stream good

i would like to battletech now please

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Zaodai posted:

It was Curly.

How do I get a refund on this POS?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

McGavin posted:

How do I get a refund on this POS?

Mitch will do it personally after having an impassioned conversation with you over the phone about what kind of references you were expecting when you backed this game.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I'll say this. I watched Cohhcarnage's stream, and it doesn't look as great as I thought it would.

It looks one hundred times BETTER. I am firmly on the hype train and I want someone to build a time machine and set it for April 24th right now.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SirFozzie posted:

I'll say this. I watched Cohhcarnage's stream, and it doesn't look as great as I thought it would.

It looks one hundred times BETTER. I am firmly on the hype train and I want someone to build a time machine and set it for April 24th right now.

Yeah wow. I'm super impressed, can't wait to play it.

Isildur, stream good, game good, well done!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

that was a good stream. i am glad i got to see some of the out-of-combat stuff fleshed out.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Mitch will do it personally after having an impassioned conversation with you over the phone about what kind of references you were expecting when you backed this game.

Perfect. What's his number, or does he call me?

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
In a stellar coincidence, the game comes out a day before I have five days off.

Unreasonably hyped.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Goddamnit why did I watch the paradox stream.

Now I am too hyped

gently caress 4 god drat weeks

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

isildur posted:

ugh i finally watched the stream and i just wanna crawl in a hole and die.

but instead, i will tell you: i am now 0-1 in the office tournament. It was a grim and total rear end-whooping. I only got any kills at all because I knocked down his Highlander enough times to kill the pilot.

I normally like watching Mitch but if anyone was making it awkward, it was him. But you all did great, the stream was great.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

CohhCarnage should be resuming play in 20 min

https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage

I think he's close to procgen missions, so if you're skipping combat story missions and dialogue, this one might be better if you just can't keep away. Overall, the reactions have been great to the streams, game is good and is hooking the streamers who aren't BT nerds already.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

I normally like watching Mitch but if anyone was making it awkward, it was him. But you all did great, the stream was great.

don't read his twitter post from a couple days ago, then

:v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Amechwarrior posted:

CohhCarnage should be resuming play in 20 min

https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage

I think he's close to procgen missions, so if you're skipping combat story missions and dialogue, this one might be better if you just can't keep away. Overall, the reactions have been great to the streams, game is good and is hooking the streamers who aren't BT nerds already.

Oh good, I didn't plan on getting anything done today.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

drat it I thought it was a one day thing!

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

drat it I thought it was a one day thing!

It was going to be, but he (by his own admission) plays the game much more slowly than they thought he would. So they told him that he'd only have one stream's worth of content, but he may well get a full afternoon in today (and I almost wouldn't be surprised if he played even more until he hits the embargo).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
game looks good, like how it incentivizes playing to your to-hit odds adaptively w/r/t how heat works.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Gotta start saving up my PUBG crate bux.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

As I get excited about this pending release, I currently find myself re-installing mech commander 2 the get my fix. Time to head back to 2001!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do we know if this game is going to have difficulty levels or an Iron Man mode? Watching the streams from Cohh, he's pretty terrible and seems to be doing just fine. I want to be barely scraping by in the merc campaign for as long as possible.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Iron man mode will not be at launch.

But yes from what I've read Cohh is pretty terrible and savescums relentlessly.

And if I remember right difficulty will be 'take harder contracts'.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Interesting. Well, I've save judgement until I'm actually playing but right now it seems a bit too easy. I assume that it's the first missions and that you don't want to scare people off, but often with this type of game the beginning is the hardest part. Hopefully they've achieved a good balance.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Interesting. Well, I've save judgement until I'm actually playing but right now it seems a bit too easy. I assume that it's the first missions and that you don't want to scare people off, but often with this type of game the beginning is the hardest part. Hopefully they've achieved a good balance.
While not direct combat related and more long haul management. I would assume one such thing swiftly Modded in, if not official toggle option later, will be a button to undo "We don't want to punish people for getting better mechs" universal flat rate mech maintenance bills.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 30, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sky Shadowing posted:

But yes from what I've read Cohh is pretty terrible and savescums relentlessly.

His job isn't to be good though, its to show off the game from a completely new person's perspective. Plus, those of us who have slavishly followed the game's development isn't the target audience, the target audience is his nearly one million subscribers. The vast majority of those subscribers have never heard of Battletech, may be only barely familiar with the Mechwarrior series, but just might love big giant robots and a fun looking game, and despite not being "good", Cohh is doing a good job of showing that the game is drat fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
Yeah, Cohh is pretty bad (by his own admission, he knows he's terrible and isn't afraid to say it), but bear in mind that from what I can tell he's trying to compensate for that by being extremely risk-averse: taking low-risk contracts, waiting until all his mechs are fully repaired and pilots fully healed before going on another assignment, etc. Seems like if you wanted to take harder difficulty assignments, you could make the game harder on yourself than he is, as Sky Shadowing alluded to.

And, if you want more, looks like he'll be streaming again tomorrow at the same time.