Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BraveUlysses posted:

i'd say it depends, have you ever had the displeasure of listening to a 2.5L skyactiv engine? loud as poo poo and not in a good way

Whatever 4-cylinder engines the current gen Fusion uses sound like utter rear end. Fortunately the droning is distant enough that I can just crank the radio up and pretend it doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Goober Peas posted:

I can assure you more thought is given to parcel shelf acoustics than anybody would ever appreciate

I... kinda want to know, just based on what I've seen; parcel shelves split over multiple layers with a honeycomb frame filling, others have been ridiculously heavy despite being thin - as if someone solidified lead sheeting. But then on my E46 estate the load cover was exceptionally thin and BMW just stuffed every flat surface with half an inch of felt.

But being a complete sperg about NVH makes me notice these things.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cancelbot posted:

I... kinda want to know, just based on what I've seen; parcel shelves split over multiple layers with a honeycomb frame filling, others have been ridiculously heavy despite being thin - as if someone solidified lead sheeting. But then on my E46 estate the load cover was exceptionally thin and BMW just stuffed every flat surface with half an inch of felt.

But being a complete sperg about NVH makes me notice these things.

Sent you a PM - I'm on my phone, but we can chat offline.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

It’s weird because Japan was all about liftbacks in the 80s through to the 90s - stuff like the Corona and 626 and Galant were all sold in big numbers as liftbacks.
They were huge in Europe too. I assume we'll keep getting more of them for a bit until going back to sedans and wagons.

Weirdly the best photo I could find is of some maniac who imported an 83 Sierra to Texas
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/01/capsule-review-1983-ford-sierra-ghia-2-0/

BloodBag posted:

Good point. My focus is a tomb compared to my 95 miata. I can barely hear my music over the wind and road noise in the miata while the focus has a minor plastic trim rattle on the front-facing camera for lane-keep assist. Oh the garage clicker also rattles on the visor a little. I feel like one of the landed gentry in that thing.
Even a poverty spec rental Skoda feels like Rolls Royce after my miata. Add dozens of metal concerts and I basically couldn't care less about minor differences in noise levels. I find tire reviews ranking their noise particularly amusing/pointless.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Domestic Amuse posted:

Whatever 4-cylinder engines the current gen Fusion uses sound like utter rear end. Fortunately the droning is distant enough that I can just crank the radio up and pretend it doesn't exist.

The 4cyl in my CMax Energi is the loudest most irritating engine in any car I've ever had. It's horrible. The CVT doesn't help things.

I drive my Abarth on weekends to stay sane.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

They were huge in Europe too. I assume we'll keep getting more of them for a bit until going back to sedans and wagons.

Weirdly the best photo I could find is of some maniac who imported an 83 Sierra to Texas
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/01/capsule-review-1983-ford-sierra-ghia-2-0/

Yeah even in small coupe-ey 2+2 car having a liftback and seats that fold down adds a ton of versatility. Remember my '07 Eclipse being like this- I was kinda surprised at what would fit in there given the car's profile.

One of the perks of the BRZ/FR-S/GT86 is that you can fit four mounted tires in there with a jack for track days.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
I had a previous generation 4 door Audi A5 Sportback when I lived in Europe and it was extremely roomy in the trunk, considering what it was. Took my young family on a number of vacations in it, including massive stroller.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Went to the Vancouver auto show specifically to check out the headroom in the Genesis G70.

First impression, tidy dimensions in and out. A little tight on headroom (I'm 6'4.), less than an A4 or 3 series, about the same as a Lexus IS.

Interior overall impression was nice, better than Acura/Infiniti on par with 3 series i guess. Switch gear felt a little cheap.

Best paint of the show was Mazda's Soul Red.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

On the topic of liftbacks vs sedans, here’s a sales chart for Audi USA with December 2016 vs December 2016 sales. The A/S5 previously was only the coupe and convertible. However, the 2017 sales also include the sportback. You can see how much A/S5 sales jumped and A/S4 sales actually dropped slightly.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

mobby_6kl posted:

One could get a Merkur (ford) Scorpio in the US. One of our neighbors had one. It was a liftback and you could fit TONS of stuff in it. They also had a Sterling 825 but this car wasn't running anymore when I saw it. I guess they liked weird rebadged european cars!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My next car will definitely be a hatchback or a lift back. They're just better.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also liftbacks mean you can do aftermarket wagon conversions just by replacing the hatch

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

prom candy posted:

My next car will definitely be a hatchback or a lift back. They're just better.

I may get a Stinger GT just because I'm sick of luxury brands

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I may get a Stinger GT just because I'm sick of luxury brands

I think that's what Kia and Buick are hoping for.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't think I could ever unironically own a new luxury brand car. I would feel too self-conscious and fake. It's just not my thing I guess.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't think I could ever unironically own a new luxury brand car. I would feel too self-conscious and fake. It's just not my thing I guess.

The only way I'd ever justify a luxury car is if I traveled a lot for work and spent a ton of time in the car. But if I was driving a ton there's no way I'd drive around some huge SUV getting 21mpg combined, so it'd have to be some weak hybrid luxury car, just with a really nice interior. But it seems like I hear bad things about the entry-level offerings from some luxury brands. Has that changed? I was impressed with the A5 I drove at the Stinger event, and it doesn't have a ton of power so still gets 34mpg, but does anyone make like a RAV-4 or CRV equivalent with a really luxurious interior, or does everyone want to push people upmarket once they're in a high end dealership?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm the same way. It might be cool to drive one now and then, but to have it actually sitting in my driveway would seem pretentious and snooty.

I drive a FIAT 124 and it feels like far too cool of a car for a schlub like me, and that's a $30k car.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

davebo posted:

The only way I'd ever justify a luxury car is if I traveled a lot for work and spent a ton of time in the car. But if I was driving a ton there's no way I'd drive around some huge SUV getting 21mpg combined, so it'd have to be some weak hybrid luxury car, just with a really nice interior. But it seems like I hear bad things about the entry-level offerings from some luxury brands. Has that changed? I was impressed with the A5 I drove at the Stinger event, and it doesn't have a ton of power so still gets 34mpg, but does anyone make like a RAV-4 or CRV equivalent with a really luxurious interior, or does everyone want to push people upmarket once they're in a high end dealership?

BMW has plug and diesel options across the lineup that'll still be nice to drive, if slow. You could do a 330e or maybe find a used X3 diesel. Even the X3 gas version is reasonable on fuel (22/29).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

smooth jazz posted:

Went to the Vancouver auto show specifically to check out the headroom in the Genesis G70.

First impression, tidy dimensions in and out. A little tight on headroom (I'm 6'4.), less than an A4 or 3 series, about the same as a Lexus IS.

Interior overall impression was nice, better than Acura/Infiniti on par with 3 series i guess. Switch gear felt a little cheap.
Have you sat in a Stinger? I assumed it would be more or less identical, room-wise. I figured I couldn’t fit in it anyway. :(

Throatwarbler posted:

It seems linked to the brand in my mind. I cannot imagine myself in a 5-series, E-class, Jaguar, etc, but somehow a Genesis doesn’t elicit that response from me. Maybe that’s just my mental gymnastics trying to justify getting one since a G80 is one of the rare cars I can fit in and I’m too stubborn to get an SUV (not that most of them have any better interior room).

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Mr. Apollo posted:

On the topic of liftbacks vs sedans, here’s a sales chart for Audi USA with December 2016 vs December 2016 sales. The A/S5 previously was only the coupe and convertible. However, the 2017 sales also include the sportback. You can see how much A/S5 sales jumped and A/S4 sales actually dropped slightly.

So, basically, anything with a hatch is up and anything with a trunk is down and the A3 Sportback e-tron is being impacted by the general down-turn in compact sales.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

davebo posted:

but does anyone make like a RAV-4 or CRV equivalent with a really luxurious interior, or does everyone want to push people upmarket once they're in a high end dealership?

So does anyone make a Lexus NX or Volvo XC60 that's not badged as a Lexus or Volvo? Eh. If it makes yu feel better probably >50% of normal people don't even think of those as luxury brands anyway.

I guess a lot of people think the Jeep Cherokee has the nicest interior of the non-lux marques. But then you would have to drive a Jeep Cherokee.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

sanchez posted:

BMW has plug and diesel options across the lineup that'll still be nice to drive, if slow. You could do a 330e or maybe find a used X3 diesel. Even the X3 gas version is reasonable on fuel (22/29).

Yeah that's a good example, but the last X3 I sat in was an early one and I didn't think the interior was very impressive. Are they pretty nice now? Looks decent enough in photos but that doesn't give me a feel for the buttons and all the pieces no one would ever actually touch with their fingers anyway, which as I understand it is the true mark of a luxury vehicle.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I must be a snob because I'd daily an AMG S class if I could afford to.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

davebo posted:

The CX-5 has a bettter interior but still not luxe. There just isn't a market for nice cars on cheap badges.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Acura does a pretty good job of making nicer Hondas without that much markup.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

davebo posted:

The only way I'd ever justify a luxury car is if I traveled a lot for work and spent a ton of time in the car. But if I was driving a ton there's no way I'd drive around some huge SUV getting 21mpg combined, so it'd have to be some weak hybrid luxury car, just with a really nice interior.

In this case I'd swing used since the depreciation you aren't paying can be made up for with fuel costs. Or go way old and pick up a Lexus LS or something, replace the headunit (for Apple/Android compatibility and bluetooth), and cruise around in quiet luxury for pennies on the dollar, plus without the pretentiousness!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess a lot of people think the Jeep Cherokee has the nicest interior of the non-lux marques. But then you would have to drive a Jeep Cherokee.
I had a Cherokee rental last year that was horrible to sit in. By far some of the worst seats I’ve ever had the misfortune of spending six hours in. The rode like garbage too; I don’t get why the suspension was so hard.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

TheWevel posted:

Acura does a pretty good job of making nicer Hondas without that much markup.

Counterpoint: They're not really that much nicer.

david_a posted:

I had a Cherokee rental last year that was horrible to sit in. By far some of the worst seats I’ve ever had the misfortune of spending six hours in. The rode like garbage too; I don’t get why the suspension was so hard.

Well I don't particularcly like them myself so maybe Chrysler just pays the most amount of bribe money to the car magazines. I thought the material of the seats were OK though, there's plenty of other cheap plastic elsewhere in the cabin.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The CX-5 has a bettter interior but still not luxe. There just isn't a market for nice cars on cheap badges.

It's all about the trucks these days. Tahoes are like $70k t start and you can get a Bang&Olufson option on the F-150.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

Counterpoint: They're not really that much nicer.

Well I don't particularcly like them myself so maybe Chrysler just pays the most amount of bribe money to the car magazines. I thought the material of the seats were OK though, there's plenty of other cheap plastic elsewhere in the cabin.

It's all about the trucks these days. Tahoes are like $70k t start and you can get a Bang&Olufson option on the F-150.

Tahoes start at just under $50K with destination and an absolutely maxed out one is mid 70's

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

KakerMix posted:

In this case I'd swing used since the depreciation you aren't paying can be made up for with fuel costs. Or go way old and pick up a Lexus LS or something, replace the headunit (for Apple/Android compatibility and bluetooth), and cruise around in quiet luxury for pennies on the dollar, plus without the pretentiousness!

No kidding. A friend's dad recently passed away who had I think a ~2004 LS 430 with a bunch of problems. Sold it to someone for $900. Not that I'd ever want something like that but there are certainly deals to be had buying used cars. Hopefully not my wife's 2014 Corolla that I'm now tasked with selling on Craigslist. I need as much money as possible for this thing.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

Who the gently caress thinks that?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Grand Cherokee interior is pretty decent but that is a very different car than the Cherokee

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Counterpoint: Golf R. But I'm biased, I guess.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But Kia has sold dozens of K900s

DOZENS!

They've sold over 50 so far this year in the US alone, never mind the one they sold in Canada in January.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

Who the gently caress thinks that?

http://wardsauto.com/2014/kia-rolls-royce-interiors-honored :geno:

I mean I dunno about the best but it's all right.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I've never heard anyone else call it anything more than mediocre.

This is about the most positive review I've seen

quote:

There were fewer wrongs to right inside Jeep’s mid-sizer, but sharper bezels surrounding various dash and door components, along with the new fourth-generation Uconnect infotainment system’s more sophisticated graphics, help to up the Cherokee’s game in a side-by-side comparison with a Ford Escape or a Chevrolet Equinox. Which is to say you won’t mistake it for a luxury model. The Latitude Plus trim, for instance, brings “leather/cloth/vinyl” upholstery to a cabin color scheme said to be inspired by Iceland; it’s pleasant enough to the eye in black with light blue-gray stitching, but the leather is indistinguishable from the vinyl—and not because the vinyl is so upscale.
https://www.caranddriver.com/jeep/cherokee

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Powershift posted:

But Kia has sold dozens of K900s

DOZENS!

They've sold over 50 so far this year in the US alone, never mind the one they sold in Canada in January.

I know why it gets built ("gently caress it we have access to the platform"), but I have no idea who buys these besides Kia dealer principals and executives. Though they sure do make great deals used if you need a car to eat up highway miles!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I bet they sell a shitload of them back in their home market

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It's probably more popular in the Korean market, especially for executives and politicians who don't want to be seen in a foreign car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

So does anyone make a Lexus NX or Volvo XC60 that's not badged as a Lexus or Volvo? Eh. If it makes yu feel better probably >50% of normal people don't even think of those as luxury brands anyway.

Don't laugh, Lincoln MKC.