Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

Good News! I have boarded the crazy train.

My brother and I bought a rural property up north (oh god please don't tell the guys in the Canada Debt Bubble Thread) and we needed a 4x4 that can navigate the dirt roads around there and fit his family. Being the good west coaster that I am, I of course suggested a Delica.

I just won this. 445k¥

Inspection revealed no faults of note. No tobacco smell which is nice. I got an automatic one since my brothers' wife can't drive standard.

I still haven't found a good Delica resource that exhaustively details all the differences between the limited editions and regular models, so I'm still not entirely sure what extras I get with an "Active World" other than neato graphics.

Oh my god it's a loving jazz cup Delica.

I LOVE it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

My brother and I bought a rural property up north (oh god please don't tell the guys in the Canada Debt Bubble Thread) and we needed a 4x4 that can navigate the dirt roads around there and fit his family. Being the good west coaster that I am, I of course suggested a Delica.

I just won this. 445k¥

Inspection revealed no faults of note. No tobacco smell which is nice. I got an automatic one since my brothers' wife can't drive standard.

I still haven't found a good Delica resource that exhaustively details all the differences between the limited editions and regular models, so I'm still not entirely sure what extras I get with an "Active World" other than neato graphics.

The approval of this thread came standard with that trim package.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Elmnt80 posted:

Yeah, theres a few "importers" here in florida like black ops performance. Theres gonna be alotta r34s crushed when they get popped. Including some of the more rare ones.

Speaking of Black Ops, their website just goes to the GoDaddy parked domain page. Seems like they closed up shop.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Shocking. It is not hard guys just don't illegally import poo poo and be patient.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Even I have to admit the carpet and swivel seat are pretty cool. :swoon:

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Those lite Ace seats are awesome. Like my Malibu swivel seats but way more practical.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Femtosecond posted:

I just won this. 445k¥

Are you a Canadian Citizen or US? If you are US are you going to try and import it into Canada?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Are you a Canadian Citizen or US? If you are US are you going to try and import it into Canada?

I’m a Canadian. It’s port of entry will be New Westminster.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Femtosecond posted:

I’m a Canadian. It’s port of entry will be New Westminster.

Interesting. Do you know if there are any weird Canadian rules about selling vehicles to US citizens in Canada? Are you taxed on sales of vehicles?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

We're going to spend the weekend loving with both Cruisers but neither of them are going to be as interesting as the Lite Ace.

Blasphemy! How dare you ignore that beautiful 70. You even parked the Prado in FRONT of it. :colbert:

I literally started laughing out loud when you showed the ice maker and you better take video of it in operation. That Lite Ace seems neat as hell.

Femto, care to go into any Canadian-specific details wrt to importing? I'd like to know more about what happens once it gets to BC, when you do get it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Interesting. Do you know if there are any weird Canadian rules about selling vehicles to US citizens in Canada? Are you taxed on sales of vehicles?

Here in Ontario you pay sales tax when you transfer the registration to your name, seller doesn't collect it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Inspector is coming by Monday morning to go 'woah you have all the paperwork!' and then I can title these things and start driving them around. Van needs it's idle adjusted/carb cleaned and I'm going to flush the cooling system and change the oil. I found out last night that the 3Y-U engine was used in the USDM Toyota Vans in the 80s so finding consumables is ez-pz which is great. The real-Cruiser has 2 brand new batteries (Jan of this year), plus just had it's oil changed and is sporting a new air filter. It does have a clunk coming from the front when turning from one direction to the other, sounds like a bushing is bad somewhere so I have to dig into that. The Prado seems perfect, just smells like someone else's farts inside, needs a deep clean (they all do) and I'd like to flush it's fluids and change it's filters while paying special attention to the cooling system. It badly needs all it's rubber and trim lubed up. Also have to find a replacement handle for rear door, right side, since it's broken clean off the metal gear.

everdave posted:

That van owns. I beg NO demand pics of it actually making ice I gotta see this

I'm guessing that the ice maker only works when the van is in operation so I'll see next week once it's road-legal and brought up on maintenance.

Rhyno posted:

Well now I have to know what the asking price on the Crown will be.

We'll see, I know how much I'm into it and am really only interested in not losing money. I have some parts I ordered to put on it (valve cover gaskets, distributor gear tube thing o-ring, plug wires and new plugs) plus I have to figure out what fuel filter I can use. I fixed the too-much-fuel issue, right, and then a week later it starts surging and wanting to die because I'm guessing the filter is clogged as there isn't 100% pressure all the time anymore. :toot:
Like always I spend a bunch of time getting the thing how I want it to be maintenance-wise (timing belt, water pump, new tires) and now we're getting rid of it :v:

Femtosecond posted:

I just won this. 445k¥

Gorgeous :swoon:

The only package difference I've heard is the 'Chamonix' one that's popular on Delicas, and that's a cold weather package. What that entails though I don't know. Even if 'Active World' is just an appearance package it's worth it, I'm ultra-envious.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Blasphemy! How dare you ignore that beautiful 70. You even parked the Prado in FRONT of it. :colbert:

I literally started laughing out loud when you showed the ice maker and you better take video of it in operation. That Lite Ace seems neat as hell.

The Prado is in front because the way out is back. The Prado is in last place when it comes to being cleaned and driven so it's technically in the 'back'. :colbert:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

Femto, care to go into any Canadian-specific details wrt to importing? I'd like to know more about what happens once it gets to BC, when you do get it.

Yeah I’ll let folks know what happens. This is all new to me. I’m really curious to see how the process works.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

I found out last night that the 3Y-U engine was used in the USDM Toyota Vans in the 80s so finding consumables is ez-pz which is great.

You found out right now that the 4Y-E is an almost direct swap out (they differ mostly by internals), bumps you up to just under 100hp, and Toyota Industries still puts them in their forklifts. They frequently hit 20,000+ hours in this application, which is post-million mile territory. You can also run them off propane or natural gas.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Had my two Land Cruisers and the Lite Ace delivered late last night, Cruisers arrived with dead batteries. Charged them overnight, this morning and afternoon, it's three batteries since the not-Prado is a 24 volt dual battery system. They both start and run perfectly now though. Prado feels like it had been sitting a while but she starts right up and is eager to drive, it's a lot peppier than I was expecting. The not-Prado with it's 3.4L 5 cyl PZ non-turbo diesel feels slower, like it could uproot some trees and move a house at a leisurely pace. Prado feels like a taut nimble little thing, quicker than my Rugger and way quicker than the not-Prado Cruiser. Since they are identical otherwise it's neat to compare them to each other.

Just call me Mr. White SUV.

We only cleaned up and messed with the Lite Ace today, we'll get to the Cruisers later. These pictures are as it came to us, we didn't pick up or clean anything. It was filthy, like they always are!

This thing owns and owns hard. It reminds me of our Acty van, just larger and with a hell of a lot more cool features. 5 speed manual, 3Y-U 4 cyl gasoline engine 4x4. Skylite roof, ice maker, dual air conditioners, rear heater, bad-rear end center swivel seat. The rear seats can fold up against the side walls but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. My wife has fallen in love with it and she demands we keep it. :shepspends:

It might suck royally in some way that we won't know until we start driving it daily but assuming nothing comes up this probably means now that we're going to sell the Crown (sorry Rhyno). Wife simply doesn't care too much about the Crown compared to the Lite Ace because the Lite Ace is quirky in all the right ways while also flatly being more practical for her needs. This also might mean I'll be selling the Rugger since that Hilux is a powerful truck to try to not keep. We'll see once it gets here but dang, I can't keep them all.

We're going to spend the weekend loving with both Cruisers but neither of them are going to be as interesting as the Lite Ace.

Ooooooooooh, do those Skyroof windows pop up?
Man, that thing would be so entertaining to haul stuff and people around in.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That power house logo is great

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It has a loving ice maker!

Maybe some Plas-T-Pair for the column?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It has a loving ice maker!

Maybe some Plas-T-Pair for the column?

If all the pieces, or even most, that stuff will do the deed. I actually use Plastex. Their applicator system and the included low heat moldable putty are fantastic, but I discovered that Pas-T-Pair sells the solvent all by itself, and have used that for refills.
I’ve reconstructed an entire corner of an RX-7 shirt surround, and a broken-off corner of an ‘90 Chevy pickup dash panel with that.
Good stuff. Pretty much only works on ABS and styrene, though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

You found out right now that the 4Y-E is an almost direct swap out (they differ mostly by internals), bumps you up to just under 100hp, and Toyota Industries still puts them in their forklifts. They frequently hit 20,000+ hours in this application, which is post-million mile territory. You can also run them off propane or natural gas.

:hellyeah:
Maybe if I can manage to kill this plant first.

Darchangel posted:

Ooooooooooh, do those Skyroof windows pop up?
Man, that thing would be so entertaining to haul stuff and people around in.

All but the rear-most ones, from the outside those are the ones that actually say 'Skylite Roof'. I bet the airflow is pretty great.

Thanks for talking about the plastic repair stuff for the steering column cover. I've seen that happen a lot on these, the plastic must get brittle and not like people's knees bashing into it all the time. Most of the pieces are there, held together in a tape matrix. I've ordered a Plastex larger kit 'cause I think I've got more than 17 inches worth of cracks to repair. There is some breaks in some other trim plastics in the rear.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

:hellyeah:
Maybe if I can manage to kill this plant first.

I'd consider it in lieu of any major engine maintenance. Brand new ones aren't terrifically expensive.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-6zgAwZ7VPLfrah.htm
Just won this. Got a decent deal. paint on the roof is cooked but worst case new roof panels aren't to crazy if I can't save the paint. And the valve cover is leaking. But other then that inspection came back pretty clean on it.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Just won this. Got a decent deal. paint on the roof is cooked but worst case new roof panels aren't to crazy if I can't save the paint. And the valve cover is leaking. But other then that inspection came back pretty clean on it.

Hell yes! Looks like a solid one there, and reasonably unmolested by mods. I hope everything goes smoothly with importing.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Thanks! Since this one was at auction so we shouldn’t have a repeat of the first one hopefully. Yeah inspector said it was pretty much stock. Just some surface rust underneath, oil and coolant looked clean. Inside was nice no major damage just a little dirty.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Man, that new Lite Ace is boss as gently caress.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

gently caress yeah, congrats. is the leaking bad enough that it has to be fixed before it gets on the boat or is it more like seepage?

Chris Knight posted:

Man, that new Lite Ace is boss as gently caress.

It really is. I have an oil filter (only the most OEM-est Toyota Brand for this fella) that'll be here Monday so I can change the oil and flush the coolant. Yesterday I washed it, silicone all the rubber around the doors and windows, greased all the joints and hinges. I then refreshed all the plastic trim with that Mother's trim restorer and it worked beautfifully, a lot better than the Turtle Wax stuff I had before.
I spent today on all the carpets.

That wicked cool pattern is really two huge floor mats.

The mats are in excellent shape, a stain that mostly came out in a part that isn't easily visible on the front rear mat, slight dinge on the rear one that did come out. I shampooed the seats and the dirtiest part was the driver's side headrest and even that wasn't bad at all. While it still was pretty dirty it's the cleanest car I've got so far.

With all the bug guts washed off the front you can see the paint/clear coat damage on the nose. Headlights are both slightly yellowed and the right bulb itself is more yellow than the left bulb.

Pop up windows work perfectly though!

EDIT

AOL Key Word: Gorilla Special

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My god that loving LiteAce :vince:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Previa did have the seats that turn around and the third row that folds against the window. I don't know if they sold them with an icebox and it definitely didn't get cool pop up windows :[

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

KakerMix posted:

gently caress yeah, congrats. is the leaking bad enough that it has to be fixed before it gets on the boat or is it more like seepage?

It’s leaking bad enough it needs to get fixed before it gets on a boat.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Charles posted:

The Previa did have the seats that turn around and the third row that folds against the window. I don't know if they sold them with an icebox and it definitely didn't get cool pop up windows :[

The Previa had the optional "Cool Box" which is basically a centre-console fridge for the dashboard nook, but I don't think I've ever seen one.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

well that's a wave of nostalgia. An uncle had an identical model about 25 years ago, ice maker and everything. God Bless the mid nineties for Jap imports into NZ

slothrop fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 1, 2018

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'd talked a while back about importing a Mahindra from India, after spending more time in India and doing some looking around I think it's not worth the trouble in a country that's not used to exporting used vehicles anyway. Indian roads aren't quite as kind to cars as Japanese roads, anyway.

This cropped up the other day: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-mitsubishi-j53-jeep/

With two days left, it's already at $5600; any guesses as to where it'll end up? Based on what I've read in this thread, it seems like the importer should have at least $5-6k into it already? Wonder where they set the reserve.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Do the UK market versions of these various JDM imports have speedometers demarcated in miles per hour? You could probably get a Toyota Van speedo cluster, I bet they're the same.

:lol: Just like Japanese auctions, you could roll a US market speedo back/forward, though its to match the kilometers the car has done and have a mph speedometer rather than outright fraud.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'd talked a while back about importing a Mahindra from India, after spending more time in India and doing some looking around I think it's not worth the trouble in a country that's not used to exporting used vehicles anyway. Indian roads aren't quite as kind to cars as Japanese roads, anyway.

This cropped up the other day: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-mitsubishi-j53-jeep/

With two days left, it's already at $5600; any guesses as to where it'll end up? Based on what I've read in this thread, it seems like the importer should have at least $5-6k into it already? Wonder where they set the reserve.

No idea but that one looks super nice, it's hard to find these without the auction sheet mentioning rust on the rear in some place. They don't show the auction sheet so that's fine, but in the last 3 months a 91 3.5 grade with 55000km sold for 174000 yen or $1650.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

DJ Commie posted:

Do the UK market versions of these various JDM imports have speedometers demarcated in miles per hour? You could probably get a Toyota Van speedo cluster, I bet they're the same.

:lol: Just like Japanese auctions, you could roll a US market speedo back/forward, though its to match the kilometers the car has done and have a mph speedometer rather than outright fraud.

I did the opposite and rolled the odo on the km/h cluster I bought for my FJ45 to the km equivalent of the mph one. When I asked the MTO if this was okay and they said yes. Only thing is I have to remember it's technically "rolled over" once even though the cluster is NOS.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DJ Commie posted:

Yes, it's a type-approval requirement. Though simply putting stickers int he right places on the dial counts as "enough".

There's a Daihatsu Mira Avanzato for sale here in the UK, they're asking £1895, which isn't unreasonable for one:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/daihatsu/daihatsu-mira-avanzato/1293112033

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Stickers on the speedo is ok but every import I had used a converter on the speedo drive.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

Stickers on the speedo is ok but every import I had used a converter on the speedo drive.
He's talking about the UK models, though, rather than imports. The Cappuccino has the same speedo setup in terms of needle position, but with a new MPH face on the gauge. The Cuore uses the original gauge with an MPH sticker over the km/h marking, and corrected needle position to account for the 1.6:1 ratio in units.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hansolio posted:

Speaking of Black Ops, their website just goes to the GoDaddy parked domain page. Seems like they closed up shop.

Nah, they're still touring the big import car shows and posting photos on instagram. Maybe they're just having trouble moving $25k r34s? Nvm, their entire online presence has disappeared. A bunch of cool cars are about to meet the crusher. I have a few of their customers added though, so I can enjoy it when the big day comes and the feds come knocking. :allears:

Also kaker, if you ever need help tracking down consumables, lemme know. So long as I have time, I'll try and track junk down. Its good practice. :v:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 2, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Elmnt80 posted:

Nah, they're still touring the big import car shows and posting photos on instagram. Maybe they're just having trouble moving $25k r34s? Nvm, their entire online presence has disappeared. A bunch of cool cars are about to meet the crusher. I have a few of their customers added though, so I can enjoy it when the big day comes and the feds come knocking. :allears:

Also kaker, if you ever need help tracking down consumables, lemme know. So long as I have time, I'll try and track junk down. Its good practice. :v:

I mean hey if you're offering I'm looking for a fuel filter for the Crown. Since I fixed the oxygen sensor issue the car now correctly sends the right amount of fuel. This has revealed that the filter is clogged because now when the car warms up and starts limiting the fuel it surges 'cause (I assume) the pressure through the filter isn't high enough where as when it was 100% on all the time it was. The filter is original to the car too so it's about time.
1990 Toyota Crown Royal Saloon, 1JZ-GE model JZS130G

Looking around I can always just go buy something like this https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...4984%7CL3*15339 and see if it screws in no problem

The filter has mounting metal on it which isn't important since I can always mount it another way. The filter sits inside the engine bay just off the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Kk. I'll look tomorrow.