Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I figured out what it is that bugs me with the promotional art for the new adaptation. It's not the style; that chunky late-80s style of the main OVA is great, but there's nothing wrong with the modern stuff. It's not the apparent ages of the characters, as that's partly a function of the style and frankly a lot of the characters are young.

It's the expressions. The stills they've shown of the new adaptation show the characters emoting differently than I associate with their dispositions. Yang looks cold, Reinhard is facing down instead of up, that sort of thing. This Julian here seems timid and unready.

I'm open to the possibility that this is a factor of how they're promoting it. A different take on the characters could be interesting as well; the OVA, it turns out, is extremely faithful, but there's nothing wrong with a loose adaptation.

The bigger problem is that everybody has terrible hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Bongo Bill posted:

The bigger problem is that everybody has terrible hair.

Absolute garbage hair

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Looks like character portrait from a terrible dating sim.

Yeah. He's a GENERIC looking guy. Couldn't tell you one thing about him at a glance.

Meanwhile, old school LGH designs ( despite the fact I really need to see the show to say more with authority) have some personality to them. You'd drink with original Yang. The new guys, less so.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
I just want to know how that scrawny little dude is supposed to transform into a hardcore Axe Murderer later in the series.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
The new Star Wars movies are bad, the new LoGH adaptation will be bad, and there's no good reason for either to be made in the first place.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yang really needs an uneasy half-smile sitting on his lips at all times

Anyway, LOGH has a big female audience, the show is full of homosociality, lots of manly men being intimate with one another. The show is trying to pander to that with the bishie artstyle, but I feel like they're making too many mistakes in the process and sacrificing some of the character dynamics. This design philosophy works for some of the characters (like Reinhardt and Ruental and von Schenkopf), but most other characters are too earnest to do that kind of posing bullshit.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ragg posted:

The new Star Wars movies are bad, the new LoGH adaptation will be bad, and there's no good reason for either to be made in the first place.

At this point they're free advertising for the original, and will hopefully guide a new generation into watching it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
If they mess up Schonkopf...

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

StrixNebulosa posted:

At this point they're free advertising for the original, and will hopefully guide a new generation into watching it.

It will guide a new generation into thinking the new adaptation is better than the old one, much like what happened with the prequels. Nothing good will come of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ragg posted:

It will guide a new generation into thinking the new adaptation is better than the old one, much like what happened with the prequels. Nothing good will come of it.

.... Really?

I'm sorry, but I haven't seen anyone think the Star Wars prequels are better than the originals. Like, the second and third were apparently good enough to watch with the original, but no one thinks they're better.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

.... Really?

I'm sorry, but I haven't seen anyone think the Star Wars prequels are better than the originals. Like, the second and third were apparently good enough to watch with the original, but no one thinks they're better.

Lots of people who didn’t grow up with the originals and DID grow up with the prequels and prequel media think they are better. They are of course, objectively wrong, but it’s a thing that’s real.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
http://gineiden-anime.com/character.html

I'm actually liking these designs minus Julian and even then I think he'll look better once he's in uniform and as he'll age up. Cazzelnu looks more like an admin type but that's fine, the OVA tended to lack physical variance honestly so him and Yang being fairly slim and small works well (and tiny Mittenmeier). Shenkopp looks fine, though could use a bit of bulking up. Reuenthal's hair is dumb but instantly conveys his broody, sad man style. A little on the nose but nothing horrendous. I even think I like this Oberstein more than the original. Yang also looks far better than the previous reveal image for his new design. It's amazing what simply loosening up his pose has done to make him more like he should be.

I get what some of you mean by looking like bad dating sim portraits but I think with better lighting, being in motion and not against blank backgrounds they'll look better. Characters almost always look better in situ than as promo-art.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
One of the nice things about Shenkopp in the original is that he actually looked like an older man.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

When did Harry Potter join the LoGH cast?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I don't think anime knows how to draw characters between 20 and 60 anymore.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GoLambo posted:

I just want to know how that scrawny little dude is supposed to transform into a hardcore Axe Murderer later in the series.

Puberty.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I want to see what one of the brick shithouse officers looks like. Reuenthal's haircut is fine but Paul von Oberstein's is criminal.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pewdiepie posted:

I want to see what one of the brick shithouse officers looks like. Reuenthal's haircut is fine but Paul von Oberstein's is criminal.

If they ruin Bittenfeld I will complain loudly.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If they ruin Bittenfeld I will complain loudly.

Hello, I am from the future, and I have bad news for you.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Sentai Filmworks is finally releasing LOGH BD set. They have made a premium only edition that cost $800 and limited to 1000 copies.

https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/products/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-premium-box-set

No standard edition is planned at the moment for them and no dubs because it is impossible for them.

https://twitter.com/DubTalkPodcast/status/979728749175431168

https://twitter.com/DubTalkPodcast/status/979731151844716544

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Did LoGH ever have a French dub? I swear I found that on YouTube once...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Anyone got a spare 800$ I can borrow?

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

psyer posted:

Sentai Filmworks is finally releasing LOGH BD set. They have made a premium only edition that cost $800 and limited to 1000 copies.

Christ!

Well, I guess that's a lot better than the 20th anniversary dvd set that came out for around $2,000 awhile back.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I love LOGH but perhaps not $800 much

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

For now at least it seems to be USA only. A sad day for Canada, and therefore a neutral day for my wallet.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I was actually willing to go ahead and buy this, but its only available on Sentai Filmworks shop page and they only sell to the US. So Canadians not allowed to own it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

psyer posted:

https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/products/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-premium-box-set

No standard edition is planned at the moment for them and no dubs because it is impossible for them.

https://twitter.com/DubTalkPodcast/status/979728749175431168

https://twitter.com/DubTalkPodcast/status/979731151844716544

Is there seriously nothing? There’s an Ocean studios test dub on youtube from ages ago

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
The price of that box set must be the dirty work of that insidious merchant and manipulator, Rubinsky!

Regarding the test dub: it's possible they had a partial track, not one for the full show, or just reconstructed it.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
i just finished this show after marathoning the last half over the past few days

i still miss yang, i guessed from the 3rd ED that something would happen to him, but i didn't want to believe it

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

wielder posted:

The price of that box set must be the dirty work of that insidious merchant and manipulator, Rubinsky!

Regarding the test dub: it's possible they had a partial track, not one for the full show, or just reconstructed it.

The fact of the matter is if they wanted to (read: thought it would be worth the investment) they would do it, effects track or no. Outside of a lucrative TV or streaming deal, there's not much reason to think it would be money well spent so I'm not surprised they are going sub only. It's pretty incredible it's coming over at all, though I'm not sure what sort of sales they think they are gonna make with that price point. They aren't bringing a ton to the table aside from "legitimacy".

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 31, 2018

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

The fact of the matter is if they wanted to (read: thought it would be worth the investment) they would do it, effects track or no. Outside of a lucrative TV or streaming deal, there's not much reason to think it would be money well spent so I'm not surprised they are going sub only. It's pretty incredible it's coming over at all, though I'm not sure what sort of sales they think they are gonna make with that price point. They aren't bringing a ton to the table aside from "legitimacy".

They are hoping for 1000 as that is how many they are producing and hoping preorders are quick so they can have more.

Also the scummy thing about this is that they charge people right when they preorder so I guess all preorders are final.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sentai has always been very weird for the US market. It doesn't seem to get our mass market versus Japan's

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Why are there so many discs in the set? Did they rescan the show in a higher resolution?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

110 episodes.

E: 162 episodes and 3 movies.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToRuQToEFts

Episode 1's bouncing around on youtube raw, if you want to check it out

It'll probably be gone quick

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

The juxtaposition of the background characters and main characters is painful.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It literally looks like a CG from a visual novel :stonk:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't understand why they felt the need to create this. It looks like garbage and they can't possibly think they'll tell a better story than the ova or novel already did

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't understand why they felt the need to create this. It looks like garbage and they can't possibly think they'll tell a better story than the ova or novel already did

They don’t think they will and it’s not the reason why they made it

The reason is fujoshi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

They don’t think they will and it’s not the reason why they made it

The reason is fujoshi

There's no way there wasn't a better property to use.