Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

widespread posted:

Welp I defaulted to Wii for my Gamecube times. Broke the middle thing in my actual Gamecube. Which is fine because it works just in time for me to get this in the mail:

Wowee, this thing from eBay feels pretty heavy. Wonder what's ins-

... oh. :smith:

Just kidding, I ordered both games and they somehow came in pretty decent condition. MK:D even had a small Sub-Zero card on the inside of it. :3:

The best part of getting any retro game is finding that it still has all the inserts in it. My copy of Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door came with its Club Nintendo code card :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

something from the ukraine is here after like a month and a half lol

this is my first everdrive, and my first modern console flash cart of any kind. before this I only had copiers, so this feels like the future. I also have hatty's SD2SNES from SA-mart and a Famicom ED-N8 coming, and will probably get a turbo everdrive soon (can't justify the cost of a SDSystem3 when I already have a big binder with all the PCE-CD games I like burned). I think I am finally going to cash in on most of my physical carts, even though it will probably make me feel a little bit bad

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I am not sure whether to be happy that you saved me $150 now or mad that you cost me $60 extra later by grabbing that SD2SNES before I could, haha. Just kidding.

Congrats on getting some deals. I am in the same boat as you. Just have the 64 and GBA everdrives but still keeping my nostalgia carts (often my most valuable sadly). SD2SNES and N8 are my next goals but I have the Classic editions to tide me over and I doubt I could sell off my childhood NES carts anyway. But my desire for collecting carts has dropped a lot. Rather put that money elsewhere.

Almost ordered a PCIO and a launch PS1 but there are only a handful of PS1 games I don’t own physically or on PSN, so may just hunt down a PSP Go and cradle (hate using my PSP3000 + cable since I can’t use an external controller). But my HDRetrovision cable with my PSone is nice... so may end up just buying and selling PS1 games as I want to actually play them. My urgency to have a game now is dropping. There will be plenty on eBay when/if I get around to playing them.

Now my desire for a PVM has dropped since getting the retrovision cables (will still pick one up if I can for under $200... so never).

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 30, 2018

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

d0s posted:

this is my first everdrive, and my first modern console flash cart of any kind. before this I only had copiers, so this feels like the future. I also have hatty's SD2SNES from SA-mart and a Famicom ED-N8 coming, and will probably get a turbo everdrive soon (can't justify the cost of a SDSystem3 when I already have a big binder with all the PCE-CD games I like burned). I think I am finally going to cash in on most of my physical carts, even though it will probably make me feel a little bit bad

oof I want that cdx

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

d0s posted:

I did it with n64 :feelsgood:

I may ditch my snes and games completely because the snes Classic mini is so good and outputs hdmi

Also :feelsgood:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I prefer the GBA version because of the translation and the upgrades battle backgrounds but that’s just me, the SNES version with the GBA translation is perfectly acceptable too

OK maybe I will try that then. it will give me an excuse to use my GBA Micro (humble brag)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

An age-old question may be very close to being answered.

https://twitter.com/gamespite/status/979446356178886657

https://twitter.com/gamespite/status/979449962458173440

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I knew of the Faceball 2000 "question" but I am surprised this is the first time anyone's gotten around to seriously answering it. I keep my copy for the bitching rad music and it reminds me of maze screen saver in Windows 98 more than any other early 3D game.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turbinosamente posted:

I knew of the Faceball 2000 "question" but I am surprised this is the first time anyone's gotten around to seriously answering it. I keep my copy for the bitching rad music and it reminds me of maze screen saver in Windows 98 more than any other early 3D game.

Well over a decade ago now, some gaming forum tried to do it at a meet up, but didn't manage to assemble enough copies for a full 16 player game by far

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wait, how many copies of Faceball can link up?

Edit: I'm bad at reading today. Still, pretty impressive.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

Didn't someone say the best Mario Kart is the one you played in college? That tracks for me. Smash too.

not here - mario kart 64 is still best imo, and I entered college in 2000

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
a lot of different people have a lot of different "the best mario kart is actually your ____"s to write off people who don't like the one they like but the actual answer is that mario kart generally gets better with each entry and most of them are fine

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FireMrshlBill posted:

Now my desire for a PVM has dropped since getting the retrovision cables (will still pick one up if I can for under $200... so never).

Hey man, never say never. I scored my 20" Ikegami off a totally random Craigslist browsing session. Dude asked... $300 I think, or something, and I just randomly threw out $200 and he accepted.

I've come to notice that it has really minor burn-in - like it's barely visible except in specific situations, and very subtle still. I still think I got a good deal and don't regret the purchase at all, like I said it's super minor... but is there anything I can do about that? Like something I can run on the monitor for a while to help it, like un-sticking LCD pixels, or is it there for good?

I can't even tell what it is, it's not like a big simple logo, it's a fairly intricate shape. Totally weird.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

absolutely anything posted:

a lot of different people have a lot of different "the best mario kart is actually your ____"s to write off people who don't like the one they like but the actual answer is that mario kart generally gets better with each entry and most of them are fine

Yeah, except it's Crash Team Racing though

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

8 is loving fantastic.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Silhouette posted:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Silhouette posted:

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

I’m partial to Mickey’s Speedway USA :shobon:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Konami wai wai racers

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

fishmech posted:

Well over a decade ago now, some gaming forum tried to do it at a meet up, but didn't manage to assemble enough copies for a full 16 player game by far

With GB Everdrives, is this even an issue anymore? Or does that game not play nice?

Code Jockey posted:

Hey man, never say never. I scored my 20" Ikegami off a totally random Craigslist browsing session. Dude asked... $300 I think, or something, and I just randomly threw out $200 and he accepted.

I've come to notice that it has really minor burn-in - like it's barely visible except in specific situations, and very subtle still. I still think I got a good deal and don't regret the purchase at all, like I said it's super minor... but is there anything I can do about that? Like something I can run on the monitor for a while to help it, like un-sticking LCD pixels, or is it there for good?

I can't even tell what it is, it's not like a big simple logo, it's a fairly intricate shape. Totally weird.

Ha. I will reserve a little hope.. or like most things in life, when I give up is when it will fall in my lap. Someone posted a pair of 20M2M's on CL yesterday (one 800 line and the other 600 line) but wanted $540 and $420. Not even going to bother with $200 offer. That $420 is the first sub-$500 asking price I have seen on a 20" in awhile. Well, the listing only has the 20M2MDU now... did someone actually pay $540 for the other? Geez people.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

I managed to get 6 copies and one adapter (and a couple link cables) a couple years ago before I realized I'd never get 16 people together.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

This seems like something that should involve Gregorian chanting and a stormy night. Possibly a dead goat on an altar as well.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

d0s posted:

While everyones situation is different, the one time I sold off all my carts, I regretted it ever since.

In unrelated news, I am thinking about picking up the super nt, but was wondering what kind of save capabilities does the jailbroken firmware have? Is it save state on exit, or can you have multiple save states per game?

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This seems like something that should involve Gregorian chanting and a stormy night. Possibly a dead goat on an altar as well.

I was gonna just film the attempt for posterity, but I'm open to spooky atmospheres for sure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

I was gonna just film the attempt for posterity, but I'm open to spooky atmospheres for sure.

Oh, that's you? God speed you mad bastard :patriot:.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

d0s posted:

Lol my mega x5 showed up a few days ago (though it only took two weeks).

I’m kind of in the same boat as you though right now. I don’t care about having the original games unless I personally love that game, I just want to play all the games on their original hardware.

Btw sd2snes is the right choice, my super everdrive feels halfassed compared to my roommates sd2snes. Also soft-reset combined with a 8bitdo receiver is fantastic for not having to get up to hit the reset button.

Turbo is pretty good though, a very good flash cart.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I also got a package from Ukraine! Mega everdrive x7. I’ve been offloading all my filler games and keeping the things I actually really like (castlevania and metal gear games). I also ordered a Super SD System 3 and a Psio but I don’t expect those for a few months. I think I’m gonna get a Harmony cart next. That should finally give me the push I need to RGB mod my 2600.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Oh man I am absolutely retarded with Twitter so please keep this thread updated if this happens

Also add me to the list of people that are amazed this hasn't happened yet in history

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

beaver_cheese posted:

Going online with a Dreamcast in 2018 is oddly satisfying.

Oh man I had that, the original Mario cart, for years and years and years until it finally fell apart, so jealous.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vkeios posted:

Lol my mega x5 showed up a few days ago (though it only took two weeks).

I’m kind of in the same boat as you though right now. I don’t care about having the original games unless I personally love that game, I just want to play all the games on their original hardware.

Btw sd2snes is the right choice, my super everdrive feels halfassed compared to my roommates sd2snes. Also soft-reset combined with a 8bitdo receiver is fantastic for not having to get up to hit the reset button.

Turbo is pretty good though, a very good flash cart.

Yeah I’ve had the super ever drive for years and I’m thinking that if the superfx happens I’m upgrading for sure.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Just tried out Punch-Out!! for the switch. I don’t know whose job it was to do the audio, but they messed up mid-match speech. The things shouted don’t match up right. I hear “one” instead of “watch left”.

Not to mention the ten-count is sped up to all hell.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah I’ve had the super ever drive for years and I’m thinking that if the superfx happens I’m upgrading for sure.

What's going on with the sd2snes and superfx?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Breadallelogram posted:

What's going on with the sd2snes and superfx?

Some dude made a really big breakthrough in a matter of weeks and has a proof of concept up. Naturally the rest of the thread was like “cool! Now do SA-1” like he was somehow done with SuperFX.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Some dude made a really big breakthrough in a matter of weeks and has a proof of concept up. Naturally the rest of the thread was like “cool! Now do SA-1” like he was somehow done with SuperFX.

From what I was hearing, wouldn't SA-1 be too much for the FPGA and require new hardware? Or is that old info?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

There is actually 5 guys working on SuperFX, 3 public and 2 privately. Evidently they are all working together now which is nice. I was looking at it myself last year and Ikari's codebase is a nightmare for me. Now that I have been messing with FPGAs a lot more I am kinda hesitant if you will be able to do a SA-1 on the current SD2SNES. The SuperFX is seeming to be almost all it can handle and the SA-1 in comparison is a much more complex chip. We shall see though.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I am not versed in the details; I just find it obnoxious when someone moves the goalposts like that. Like, dude, this is the first gasp of air for SuperFX support. Stow your entitlements for JUST A drat MINUTE, you know?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I am not versed in the details; I just find it obnoxious when someone moves the goalposts like that. Like, dude, this is the first gasp of air for SuperFX support. Stow your entitlements for JUST A drat MINUTE, you know?

Yeah that thread was dumb.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

So I have one of those portable DVD systems that hangs on the back of a headrest so your kids can watch dvd's in the back seat on long road trips. Its dual screen and the satellite screen can accept composite video input (via a 4 ring 3.5mm to rca adapter that it came with, actually both screens can do it).

So my question, other than the PSone, are there car adapters for other systems like the NES, SNES, N64, GC? I remember a friend's parents had one of those huge chevy vans back in the mid 90s that had a TV in it and a SNES mini. I assume it probably had a standard plug and inverter built in. The only use of a console in a vehicle back then would be for big vans, buses, RVs, boats, etc., which all had power inverters to take standard plugs I guess, but you never know.

I know the GC had battery packs to power it and one of those attachable screens, much like the PSone had as well. But I haven't been able to find any car adapters for those systems, just the PSone.

I'm sure I'd probably not use it when my kids get older because they'll have my spare 2DS's and the Switch to play, but it could be neat to bring a SNES or N64 for them to play one trip.

I guess another option is to make my own since I think the SNES's voltage regulator can take over 20v input (even if the caps may wear quicker with higher voltages), but 12v from a generic car adapter shouldn't be too bad on the system since it normally took 9v (as long as the car adapter conditions for spikes and noise well enough). Didn't the Virtual Boy use the same AC adapter, so maybe there is one for that?

There is always the power inverter route, but why go DC to AC and back to DC?

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 30, 2018

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

I guess another option is to make my own since I think the SNES's voltage regulator can take over 20v input (even if the caps may wear quicker with higher voltages), but 12v from a generic car adapter shouldn't be too bad on the system since it normally took 9v (as long as the car adapter conditions for spikes and noise well enough). Didn't the Virtual Boy use the same AC adapter, so maybe there is one for that?

There is always the power inverter route, but why go DC to AC and back to DC?

There are 12V DC to 9V DC adapters and the like for car electronics, so I would highly suggest investigating those options first because you start thinking about overjuicing the input voltage of your old consoles with current straight from your cigarette lighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

I'm a little afraid I'm going to get dragged into this :toot: