Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Here's a thread to talk about The Expanse TV show for those of us who have read the books.

Talk about anything from any of the books. There's been 7 of them so far. The series is about half way through book 2 but is doing it's own thing so much that it's kind of unpredictable what will happen when.

Season 3 premieres on April 11th of SYFY. The first seasons are available on Amazon Prime in the States and on Netflix everywhere else. Much like last season it's unlikely that the show will air the day after transmission on Netflix but I guess we might get lucky.

Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MowKgO0IeyU

I don't think, as speculated that the planetary collision means were seeing the OPA attack on Earth this season, instead I think it comes from Holden's vision in the slow zone of how the alien civilisation collapsed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't think, as speculated that the planetary collision means were seeing the OPA attack on Earth this season, instead I think it comes from Holden's vision in the slow zone of how the alien civilisation collapsed.

Not a supernova then?

Is Thomas Jane confirmed to be back?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Collateral posted:

Not a supernova then?

Is Thomas Jane confirmed to be back?

:iiam:

https://twitter.com/casanvar/status/972915596521164800?s=21

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah it's way too early for the OPA/Earth conflict, it could be a reference to what goes down on Venus or as they're coming in on the evil hybrid missile base, lots of possibilities there. If they get to the Holden visions then they've basically gotten through all of book 3, which with how they've paced things so far would shock me but I'd be pretty down for it. I think they either end the season with the gate formed (which is as good a place as any to leave it off if, god forbid, the show got cancelled) or they end just as poo poo starts really popping in the slow zone, maybe with Holden launching off toward the center station or something.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they're filming seasons 3 and 4 back to back if I remember correctly, so we got at least one more to go.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

uber_stoat posted:

they're filming seasons 3 and 4 back to back if I remember correctly, so we got at least one more to go.

And being filmed back-to-back, it may be easier to bring Miller back earlier! :ghost:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

Oh I might have heard that and forgotten it, it sounds familiar. Well great then if you do two seasons I would go full on through to the end of the slow zone conflict and the new status quo of that, and then when you're hopefully renewed you can get into the wild OPA stuff and set out on a whole new arc. If you aren't renewed then well, it absolutely sucks for the viewer but it leaves off the characters/show with a sense of accomplishment, safety and wonder at the incredible possibilities ahead for humanity.

Mixing up the :ghost: timing would be very fun, I'd love to see that happen earlier and see it change how things go down slightly compared to the book. It also seems like an obvious season 3 cliffhanger shocker to do.

I dunno why I'm so hung up on where they leave off at the end of each season :shrug:.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 17, 2018

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I figure that we might get some of the earth related plot while the events of 4 are taking place, we get stuff back in system from the other characters getting the ball rolling on the book 5 plot. Similar to how we got earthside plot in the first season.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I wanna see more Mars in general

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Seeing Bobbie going back to Mars and getting sucked into the missing ships intrigue while Holden and crew are past the rings seems like one way to help make the book 4 plot not seem as much of a detour from the core narrative. Cortezar could also be used too depending on when the show wants to introduce Durerte, same goes for Fred Johnson and Dawes in the belt dealing with OPA politics and more gently introducing Marco and Filip to the story.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I just finished book 4 today and am wondering how they plan to incorporate that into the show as it's so isolated. Also will they keep the revolving door policy on characters like the books? Or will we keep seeing more avasarala and Bobbie for instance instead?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah I just finished book 4 today and am wondering how they plan to incorporate that into the show as it's so isolated. Also will they keep the revolving door policy on characters like the books? Or will we keep seeing more avasarala and Bobbie for instance instead?

My guess is what was brought up above, showing more of the background stuff that'll lead into the big events. More of Bobbie sniffing around, Avasarala not being completely blindsided by what goes down but still not being able to get the whole picture (maybe we see her get a secret intel report on the stealth tech being destroyed and have some suspicions there's more to it, but not find out the details in time), etc.

It's not quite as jarring as it seems since they already cut between people so much anyway and they're not necessarily all involved in the same plot moment-to-moment, more often they're part of what's going on but don't realize it like how Holden and Miller were both tracking protomolecule stuff but didn't meet until the end of S1. I think there's enough political stuff to hold down the fort, and I'd be all for seeing characters get fleshed out more before the big goings-on and see how they gathered power or made their plans, since in the books it's very much "hey all this crazy poo poo went down and we didn't see it coming" and while I liked the way the books were written, I think the right approach to the show is to not have these new characters suddenly take center stage but rather build them up more over time, I can think of a few who they could make super likeable and relatable before giving them huge baggage or showing them to be awful.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Given how important it was, I felt like the Martian mass mutiny was rather undersold in the books before poo poo went down, giving Bobbie more to do by working undercover for Chrissie looking into discontent on Mars and the missing ships would be nice. Similarly having events in the belt give us more of the background on how Marco got his army together would bridge the gap pretty nicely. If Diogo doesn't end up being the first person through the ring, he could also be a perspective character for the OPA politicing, and Cortezar could keep the human side of the PM plot thread moving too.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
So is this the thread that won't have people crying about spoilers every half page?

I havent read the books (I might at some point idk) but I don't care about spoilers.

Season 3 is gonna be loving awesome, I'm hype.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ATP_Power posted:

Given how important it was, I felt like the Martian mass mutiny was rather undersold in the books before poo poo went down, giving Bobbie more to do by working undercover for Chrissie looking into discontent on Mars and the missing ships would be nice. Similarly having events in the belt give us more of the background on how Marco got his army together would bridge the gap pretty nicely. If Diogo doesn't end up being the first person through the ring, he could also be a perspective character for the OPA politicing, and Cortezar could keep the human side of the PM plot thread moving too.

I honestly think Marco with be a lieutenant to Dawes. Dawes is an established character and won't come out of leftfield like Marco did in the books. Have Naomi's old love interest (domineering abuser really), and her old gang, be an incidental characters behind Dawes makes a lot of sense.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Collateral posted:

I honestly think Marco with be a lieutenant to Dawes. Dawes is an established character and won't come out of leftfield like Marco did in the books. Have Naomi's old love interest (domineering abuser really), and her old gang, be an incidental characters behind Dawes makes a lot of sense.

This seems like a sensible tie-in, and makes Dawes later character choices make sense if he's all about loving with Earth and Mars but doesn't grasp how Marco is REALLY about loving up Earth and is willing to team up with Mars to do it.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Episode titles

3.01 - Fight Or Flight
3.02 - IFF
3.03 - Assured Destruction
3.04 - Reload
3.05 - Triple Point
3.06 - Immolation
3.07 - Delta-V
3.08 - The Investigator
3.09 - Aberrations
3.10 - Dandelion Sky
3.11 - Objects In Motion
3.12 - Congregation
3.13 - ??? (lol it's gonna be Abaddon's Gate)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
sweet, Investigator is in.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Hmmmm...so if we end at Book 3, is season 4 all Slow Zone, or do they try and smoosh wormPlanet in there so they don't have to ditch half the cast if there is a fifth season?

I really just want to see Amos and Bubbles wander the post-apocalypse...is that so much to ask?

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Cibola burn has about as much plot as a pretty good Stargate 2-parter (and I say this as someone who likes that book more than I probably should) so I can't see it taking up a whole season.

this season probably ends with Holden's vision of the alien civ dieing and the 2nd slowdown

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hmmmm...so if we end at Book 3, is season 4 all Slow Zone, or do they try and smoosh wormPlanet in there so they don't have to ditch half the cast if there is a fifth season?

I really just want to see Amos and Bubbles wander the post-apocalypse...is that so much to ask?
I mean, Dandelion Sky is episode 10. We'll be getting some slow zone here. Heck, I'm kind of wondering if they can compress all the important bits of Abbadon's Gate into 6 episodes (starting with "Investigator") and they probably could. Depending on how many seasons they think they'll get they could wrap up an abbreviated Abbadon's Gate this season, and skip straight into Nemesis Games to get to the juicy stuff quicker.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

Eiba posted:

I mean, Dandelion Sky is episode 10. We'll be getting some slow zone here. Heck, I'm kind of wondering if they can compress all the important bits of Abbadon's Gate into 6 episodes (starting with "Investigator") and they probably could. Depending on how many seasons they think they'll get they could wrap up an abbreviated Abbadon's Gate this season, and skip straight into Nemesis Games to get to the juicy stuff quicker.

An episode earlier I think, "Delta-V" is probably gonna feature the slingshotter shooting the ring and getting turned into paste

e: i'm unreasonably excited that they named an episode Dandelion Sky

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

They have mentioned the Inaros collective as being present at the big OPA get together on Tycho.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ATP_Power posted:

They have mentioned the Inaros collective as being present at the big OPA get together on Tycho.

I love that the first episode sets this up with Avasalara questioning the belter about ~stolen stealth tech~. :woop:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo they're doing it

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kerwyn posted:

An episode earlier I think, "Delta-V" is probably gonna feature the slingshotter shooting the ring and getting turned into paste

e: i'm unreasonably excited that they named an episode Dandelion Sky

I think Objects In Motion will probably be the first slow zone disaster after Holden goes Galaxy Brain?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 31, 2018

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Congregation will be everyone getting on the big ship, Abaddon’s Gate will be finding out they want to blow up the gate. Resolution next season.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's such a shame they hosed their pacing so badly having to bridge a book between every season. It throws the whole narrative off.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I said in the main thread I have nothing to add, but on reflection I do.

It's really kind of odd how early they're introducing Anna, but it fits with how they did Bobbie and Avasarala. I really hope it ends up expanding the character, like Avasarala, rather than just dragging out nothing like Bobbie.

I guess Anna's not as inherently interesting as either of those characters so it'll be hard to pull it off, but I guess she's going to be our eyes into the UN while Avasarala's off on her Jupiter adventure, so I'm interested to see what she ends up doing there.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I imagine that she's going to be how we're introduced to Clarissa for the first time, and then it gives us an on-screen building of their relationship as opposed to the off-screen "they knew each other from when she was a kid" thing the books do.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Is this the thread where I can bitch about Anna's hair not being Red?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't remember much about Ana from the books except that she was kinda lowkey annoying, but for some reason I took an instant liking to her on the show.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

bloom posted:

I don't remember much about Ana from the books except that she was kinda lowkey annoying, but for some reason I took an instant liking to her on the show.

Yeah, good casting there. It's looking like we will get to the Slow Zone this season! :woop:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, good casting there. It's looking like we will get to the Slow Zone this season! :woop:

I don't usually care much for tviv liveposting but I am looking forward to seeing the unspoiled thread's reactions to that. It's such a drastic change to the rules the world plays by.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

bloom posted:

I don't usually care much for tviv liveposting but I am looking forward to seeing the unspoiled thread's reactions to that. It's such a drastic change to the rules the world plays by.

I have to imagine there will be some small backlash from people mad about the show going from relatively grounded space flight and politics stuff to alien weirdness.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

uber_stoat posted:

I have to imagine there will be some small backlash from people mad about the show going from relatively grounded space flight and politics stuff to alien weirdness.

There probably will be, yet I think the alien stuff plays a more central role early on than it does for most of the rest of the story so far, in a way. Compared to the Protomolecule outbreak and arms race, the Slow Zone and the dangers on alien worlds are more like window dressing for humans doing the same terrible poo poo they've always done to each other.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Toast Museum posted:

There probably will be, yet I think the alien stuff plays a more central role early on than it does for most of the rest of the story so far, in a way. Compared to the Protomolecule outbreak and arms race, the Slow Zone and the dangers on alien worlds are more like window dressing for humans doing the same terrible poo poo they've always done to each other.

yeah, that's true, and IIRC Holden basically has a monologue saying as much. people are people, even if they are colonizing space using reality bending alien tech.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, that's true, and IIRC Holden basically has a monologue saying as much. people are people, even if they are colonizing space using reality bending alien tech.

That's clearly the books Shtick, but the interesting part is that there is this protomolecule thingie that changes how people think about being people. There the whole 'what the hell is it' which is rewarding in it's own way, but then there are these larger affects that kinda come out of the blue as they occur that seem more obvious in hindsight. Mars is dead, the Belt is now obsolete are really interesting and game changing ideas. Where the series really shines is matching the evolving mystery of just what the hell this protomolecule is with new ideas that people come up that breaks the status-quo. We kinda got away from that with in the Marcos 2 parter, but it looks like we're getting back to it with the Laconians.

But that's a long way away in the TV series. They are still in the thick of thinking it's bad alien stuff.

Does Ghost Miller shows up before 3.08 - The Investigator?

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

drewhead posted:

Does Ghost Miller shows up before 3.08 - The Investigator?

I imagine he'll show up right at the end of the episode before that saying the name of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I am NOT okay with Aversala praising James Holden or his decisions. :mad:

• Locked thread