Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Would mistwraiths still be around though?

Sazed could have changed the whole thing around anyway like he aparently did for the kolos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Avalerion posted:

Would mistwraiths still be around though?

Sazed could have changed the whole thing around anyway like he aparently did for the kolos.

I seem to recall that they are indeed still around. And you bring up a good point: The Lord Ruler changed the living ferruchemists to mistwraiths, why can Sazed not change the mistwraiths to humans? Or at least those original mistwraiths that are still around? Or were those all the first generation of kandra?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
What would happen if Mat and Wayne met in a tavern?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Tahirovic posted:

What would happen if Mat and Wayne met in a tavern?

"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain." 

"Doves and stoves again to you too, mate. Whatever the bloody hell that means."

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The Mistwraiths are all gone. Or at least, no one from the Elendel region has seen one. Marasi mentions this while exploring the graveyard in bands of mourning.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Captain Monkey posted:

haha the horse's name is also dagger.. haha oh man what a dumb mistake... epic faile.

Faile is bad, most of WoT is pretty bad, especially the writing of the women.

Actually on my second read of WOT, I found I liked Nynaeve most of the time. *tugs braid*

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

His Divine Shadow posted:

Actually on my second read of WOT, I found I liked Nynaeve most of the time. *tugs braid*

That's normal. If you were a kid/teenager when you first read WoT, Nynaeve was the adult spoilsport. When your're the responsible adult yourself, you suddenly see Nyneave in a whole new light. It's happened to a lot of people.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Vegeta as a kid

Vegeta as an adult

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

His Divine Shadow posted:

how did Nynaeve still have her hair.. she was always tuggin at it

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CoolHandMat posted:

how did Nynaeve still have her hair.. she was always tuggin at it

The one power wasn't the only thing they weaved.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just finished The Rithmatist and I really liked it, this is the first non-WoT book I have read from him, does he have any other books with unusual magic systems?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Oasx posted:

I just finished The Rithmatist and I really liked it, this is the first non-WoT book I have read from him, does he have any other books with unusual magic systems?

All of them?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Oasx posted:

Alcatraz series books are quick fun reads involving family talents that grew from quirks in Brandon's own family. To fabricate an example so as to not spoil anything, think of your drunk Facebook uncle always being embarrassingly :tinfoil: online but, occasionally, actually correct about an otherwise well-concealed lie or convenient happenstance.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oasx posted:

Nearly all of them.

Rithmatist has one of the most video-gamey (he deliberately based it off RTS games to some extent) magic systems, but all of his magic systems are very rule-bound. They're all systems that arise from the same basic concepts. Those systems then usually have considerable depth resulting from the interactions between different aspects within that system.

Character has powers that let him do X thing and Y thing. If he puts them together, now he can do unexpected (but logical) thing Z.

The Stormlight and Mistborn series have dozens of possible powers with hundreds of possible interactions.

poo poo gets crazy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah man if you want magic systems you are in the right place.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
If I'm trying to sell someone on Sanderson I hype up all the cool magic systems. It's far more satisfying reading a character's exploits when you feel like you understand how and why their badassery is badass. I've grown to dislike stories in which an empowered character is an unknown quantity. Wheel of Time is an even split there because he does go into some details about the Power but also every book has one or two "I've suddenly discovered/remembered/invented a new thing that was lost to the ages or no one over the thousands of years of having magic powers ever could do!"

As opposed to say, pushing and pulling on horseshoes as anchor points to cartwheel across the countryside, which makes complete sense when the character's powers are concrete and established at that point in the story. There are certainly plenty of "but wait, there's more!" moments but they never feel cheap or deus ex machina.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah, a big part of the appeal of Sanderson (for me) is the logical consistency of his magic systems.

I don't know how many times I've wondered of something was possible, just to have it happen. Or for something really cool to happen, and it makes complete sense.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Dalinar is aggressively boring to me. I loved the first book in the series, second was good, but this one is really giving me a hard time. I'm 15% in and not feeling any stakes, should I? Maybe I'm just missing details but gently caress me is Dalinar boring to read.

I've been reading Edgedancer and like it more. Dalinar is like a PG version Ned Stark that doesn't die before you get sick of his loving honor and whatever.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Barreft posted:

Dalinar is aggressively boring to me. I loved the first book in the series, second was good, but this one is really giving me a hard time. I'm 15% in and not feeling any stakes, should I? Maybe I'm just missing details but gently caress me is Dalinar boring to read.

I've been reading Edgedancer and like it more. Dalinar is like a PG version Ned Stark that doesn't die before you get sick of his loving honor and whatever.

Dalinar's flashbacks are the best of the three books so far. And he will get more interesting in the non-flashback scenes as well.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'd have to say that after 3 books Dalinar is by far my favorite character. Most interesting, most complex, best arc(s)... The Blackthorn is just SO BRUTAL and current day Dalinar so different and they are still totally the same person.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I can definitely understand someone feeling Dalinar is boring but there is so much going on with him internally and also as the leader of the free world. The flashbacks make it clear he is overburdened with regret even before he lets Galivar die

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Barreft posted:

hahaha ... I know it's far, but stick with it until "I Am an Animal".

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Oathbringer is... Let's put it this way, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is 450,000 words long. Oathbringer is 450,000 words long. OB also has a sandersonian pacing bug. It took a minute for me to actually got to "I can't put this down" status

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Yeah like I said I'm only 15% in according to my Kindle, and I really like Sanderson. I'll love him forever just for finishing WOT. Gonna just whittle my way through until I get that hook I always get from him.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
My favorite honorable Dalinar moment is when at the end of WoK he goes and decides to demonstrate to Elhokar that he should be trusted by beating him up and showing how if he wanted Elhokar dead he could have done it very easily in a number of ways. He then follows that up with "I love you like a son."

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 1, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trasson posted:

My favorite honorable Dalinar moment is when at the end of WoK he goes and decides to demonstrate to Gavilar that he should be trusted by beating him up and showing how if he wanted Gavilar dead he could have done it very easily in a number of ways. He then follows that up with "I love you like a son."

Elhokar you mean

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Dalinar is the born again Christain. Aka a PITA.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Elhokar you mean

You saw nothing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

BananaNutkins posted:

That happens first in Winter's Heart, doesn't it? I thought that one was pretty good in parts. I liked all the build up to the black tower and arming everyone with crossbows on the battlefield.

No that's Elayne who finally gets together with Rand in Winter's Heart.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boo wish I hadn’t read that. Oh well.

Almost done with Fires of Heaven. The Cairehen stuff was cool. The Aes Sedai stuff is still boring as all hell but I suppose got a smidge better when Nynaeve/Elayne meet back up with Suane.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Elmon posted:

Dalinar is the born again Christain. Aka a PITA.

No, he’s the Mormon missionary that keeps getting doors slammed in his face the minute he opens his mouth.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

no, he's a guy who just joined r/atheism after he went jogging and found god's corpse face down in a puddle of water

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tunicate posted:

no, he's a guy who just joined r/atheism after he went jogging and found god's corpse face down in a puddle of water

drat it, now Dalinar is going to be a fedora wearing, professional quote maker in my head.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

drat it, now Dalinar is going to be a fedora wearing, professional quote maker in my head.

M'Brightness.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Does anybody know what's up with Nightblood's sheath? It can even be used to parry Nightblood, which can cut through any normal matter. Did they Awaken the sheath as well?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Torrannor posted:

Does anybody know what's up with Nightblood's sheath? It can even be used to parry Nightblood, which can cut through any normal matter. Did they Awaken the sheath as well?

Aluminium

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just finished Fires of Heaven. Last half of the book was actually really good. Hard to believe that the incredibly boring-as-hell first half was part of the same book. Just started Lord of Chaos, and the stuff about the "Great"/Dark Lord in the prologue is pretty cool.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just finished Fires of Heaven. Last half of the book was actually really good. Hard to believe that the incredibly boring-as-hell first half was part of the same book. Just started Lord of Chaos, and the stuff about the "Great"/Dark Lord in the prologue is pretty cool.

Lord of Chaos is really good. I'd say it has an even bigger payoff than Fires of Heaven. The Aes Sedai political stuff becomes more interesting when the supergirls start to mess with it much more.

If you ever find that one storyline is really boring, you can just read summaries of them. I highly recommend Encyclopaedia WoT for this. You can click on a book title, and they have a very nice graph at the bottom of the page. It shows in colored lines what main characters appear in which chapters. It's obviously a bit spoilery, but you can then read the short chapter summaries of the plotlines you don't find engaging.

Books 7-11 can have pacing issues. I still like even the chapters where no big things happen as an insight into the characters, but opinions vary wildly. If you find them boring but still want to find out how the story ends, looking up summaries is a good way imho.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Torrannor posted:

Books 7-11 can have pacing issues. I still like even the chapters where no big things happen as an insight into the characters, but opinions vary wildly. If you find them boring but still want to find out how the story ends, looking up summaries is a good way imho.

Ya, books 7-11 have issues where Robert Jordan stopped being able to finish all his plot arcs in a single book, so you end up with some characters doing the same thing for like 2-3 books... Book 10 was just bad. Luckily its all uphill after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Books 1-5 fly by for me. Book 6 is where things start to really slow down for me. The ending of 6 is quite good though. 7-10 are the low part of the series, 90% filler. There are a few really good plots and payoffs but for the most part it will be a slog.