Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ihatepants posted:

It’s opening day and Severino started ST late, didn’t he? 90 pitches is exactly where I would have pulled him. In comparison, the Phillies also just pulled Nola after 68 pitches with a 5-0 lead.

I hate that stuff. I guess every team in baseball is doing that now though... You're also making your BP get 10 outs in a 5-0 game too, that also adds up over the course of a season just like the starters' and affects the game the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Wade and Walker saved Dellin in that inning

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Gardner has KILLED the ball 5 times and is 1 for 5.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

Gardner has KILLED the ball 5 times and is 1 for 5.

The HR was the softest hit ball.

Also 90 pitches on Opening Day is not at all an "early hook."

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

if you needed to script a typical Yankees win in 2018, it would go:

Strong start from Severino
Judge, Stanton, and Sanchez carrying the load on offense
Good defense
The bullpen closing the door

we're gonna see a lot of these wins this season

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

The only bad part about Stanton’s first homerun is John Sterling’s call that he kept secret the entire offseason, probably because it was so terrible. Why would a broadcaster ever use a call that can’t be repeated?

https://twitter.com/TheKevinStewart/status/979492281219764229?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

The only bad part about Stanton’s first homerun is John Sterling’s call that he kept secret the entire offseason, probably because it was so terrible. Why would a broadcaster ever use a call that can’t be repeated?

https://twitter.com/TheKevinStewart/status/979492281219764229?s=20

Stanton isn't even Italian...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sterling was told that and he essentially said "I know but I like it so I don't care."

See, because the star is John Sterling.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

1 down. 99 more wins to go.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/YankeesPR/status/979758275771150337

Oh, ok.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

1. Brett Gardner, CF
2. Aaron Judge, RF
3. Giancarlo Stanton, DH
4. Didi Gregorius, SS
5. Gary Sanchez, C
6. Neil Walker, 1B
7. Billy McKinney, LF
8. Brandon Drury, 3B
9. Tyler Wade, 2B
SP - Masahiro Tanaka

I love Didi, but I really hate putting him as Stanton’s protection in the lineup. Sanchez worked out so well hitting behind him, why change it only for LH/RH matchups that don’t really matter since Didi still has worse splits vs RHP than Sanchez? Terrible decision by Boone/Cashman here.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Meh, lineup construction has pretty much no correlation to runs outside of the first inning and Didi is good enough at hitting I don't think it will be too terrible.

I'd prefer the same top 4 from yesterday but I can't get too worked up about it.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Meh, lineup construction has pretty much no correlation to runs outside of the first inning and Didi is good enough at hitting I don't think it will be too terrible.

I'd prefer the same top 4 from yesterday but I can't get too worked up about it.

I agree with all of this and also believe this is early season tinkering and by the end of the year everyone will realize stacking Judge/Stanton/Sanchez is the way to go

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So they have played 1 game and 2 regulars are already on the DL... nice.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
I haven't seen mcmagic post this much since the last republican administration. am i right folks??? :q:

how bout them yankees!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I guess i'm going to be whining about early hooks all season...

Judge Stanton and Gary go 0-12, yankees still win. Baller.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How are you mad about these hooks?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

How are you mad about these hooks?

Obviously nitpitcking but for the sake of conversation, Tanaka can't throw more than 79 pitches when he's cruising along? IDK seems like the bullpen threw at least 1 more inning today than it should have. I also would've liked to see him not use Chapman tonight in a 3 run game on back to back nights but we're still not past the dumb save rule.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

The bullpen is a strength on this team and should be utilized to win games. Period. The starters can be used longer after a few starts.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah, don't be Cubsposting in here.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

How dare Aaron Boone give the ball to the best bullpen in the league, what a loving idiot he should be fired.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Today’s lineup:

1. Neil Walker, DH
2. Aaron Judge, CF
3. Giancarlo Stanton, RF
4. Didi Gregorius, SS
5. Gary Sanchez, C
6. Brandon Drury, 3B
7. Billy McKinney, LF
8. Tyler Austin, 1B
9. Tyler Wade, 2B
SP - CC Sabathia

Judge in CF!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
As long as Judge doesn't collide with anybody I will consider this a success.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

How dare Aaron Boone give the ball to the best bullpen in the league, what a loving idiot he should be fired.

A good way to keep them the best BP in the league is to not use them for 9 outs every game...

Chapman especially is not good on back to back days.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

A good way to keep them the best BP in the league is to not use them for 9 outs every game...

Chapman especially is not good on back to back days.

Its game 2 dude.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Its game 2 dude.

Chillax. I said it was nit picking and I don't hilariously want Boone fired (not that he's making these decisions himself anyway), just having a general philosophical discussion on the way bullpens are used.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

mcmagic posted:

Chillax. I said it was nit picking and I don't hilariously want Boone fired (not that he's making these decisions himself anyway), just having a general philosophical discussion on the way bullpens are used.

If you don't recognize "nit-picking" as inherently obnoxious for everyone else but yourself that's a personal problem. Don't paint it like you're "just starting a conversation"

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

They just showed the numbers Judge, Stanton and Sanchez had vs Estrada and they decide to break them all up with Didi (.229/.250/.543 vs Estrada)? Bad call, imo.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 31, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
McKinney just jacked up his arm, OF depth already evaporated.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

McKinney just jacked up his arm, OF depth already evaporated.

Maybe they should have DFA’ed Gallegos instead of Cave.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

CC not fooling anyone today...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/ktsharp/status/980203843484110849?s=19

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That throw by Gary was insane.

Remember when Betances didn't loving suck?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 31, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Betances has let the "Can't hold a runner on!" thing get completely into his head. He falls apart with a man on. The first inning was good, though.

Also McKinney to the DL (booo), Andujar called up (yaaaaay.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Betances has let the "Can't hold a runner on!" thing get completely into his head. He falls apart with a man on. The first inning was good, though.

Also McKinney to the DL (booo), Andujar called up (yaaaaay.)

He gave up a 450 foot homer to a AAAA player before the first stolen base too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Solarte isn't a AAAA player. That's just loving stupid.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Terribly managed game by Boone. Leaving McKinney in the field, Holder instead of Green, Betances for 2 innings, Didi behind Stanton.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

Terribly managed game by Boone. Leaving McKinney in the field, Holder instead of Green, Betances for 2 innings, Didi behind Stanton.

I didn't understand Holder in there when Warren got hurt and I would've taken out Betances after the homer but that didn't really matter. They lost the game because they didn't hit. Holder is the worst pitcher in the bullpen and you bring him into a tie game with a guy on 2nd?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 1, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

Eh, leaving McKinney in didn't matter, especially since the yanked him as soon as he threw. Holder over Green I'm also fine with, dude's gotta put up at some point. It's the third game, might as well do it now.

Betances for 2 innings was v bad though. Gotta get his confidence back and letting him have a good inning and then be out is a good way to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That would've been a good spot for someone like Khanle or Robertson who pitched last night and didn't throw a bunch of pitches to face one hitter in a big situation. The reason he left betances in for a second inning is because he didn't have Chapman tonight and probably wanted to save Green to close.

• Locked thread