Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I think it's in the SNL contract that if Fred Armisen doesn't have a cameo every five episodes, the show gets handed back to Jean Doumanian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

sportsgenius86 posted:

Seeing Win Butler in the celebrity NBA all star game ruined Arcade Fire for me forever

Isn't he usually the best player?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

ghost emoji posted:

I think it's in the SNL contract that if Fred Armisen doesn't have a cameo every five episodes, the show gets handed back to Jean Doumanian.

Was Michael Wolff in the news recently? I don't know why they even bothered with him in the cold open. At least they brought back Armisen without any black or yellow face.

I'm wondering if they always bring back old writers when an old cast member hosts?

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

rodbeard posted:

Was Michael Wolff in the news recently? I don't know why they even bothered with him in the cold open. At least they brought back Armisen without any black or yellow face.

Not really but it kinda worked with the premise of gossiping about the administration. That guy turned out to be a bit of a goofball with his innuendo "most of it is true, tee hee" style.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

ArtVandelay posted:

I do have to wonder what Mulaney whispered to him, he looked absolutely baffled and really close to breaking completely.

Kammat posted:

Sounded like he started "My girlfriend" but the rest couldn't be made out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC-TF0SPzzM

”My girlfriend works at Yoshinoya Beef Bowl.”

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
This was pretty good although I don't dig the new highlighted hair:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54BVvP7zvDQ

Also, Heidi Gardner shows up and I didn't even know who she was until the name card showed up lol, I just figured she was an snl wardrobe person.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

pwn posted:

The price one must pay for a shortened monologue, is the loving Californians

Gladly paid.

Whaaarouuuuoingheaaar?

dj_clawson posted:

What's the joke in these sketches? That the writers don't know much about California and have to google where anything is?

Californians have to drive a lot so they are very knowledgeable about the best way to get places. Also they sound funny.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Tragic Kingdom was the year after Jurassic Park.

And not their first album.

Deltron 3030 posted:

It seems like that song had vocals because various people were moving their mouth-holes but I didn't hear anything.

You turned the volume off like a smart person. You've won Saturday Night Live Musical Guest!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
When I moved to LA, my car buddy and I sounded like the Californians as we navigated to the hostel in Santa Monica. You take the 15 to the 210...

:gonk:

pwn
May 27, 2004

New BtS on the show's live music production

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoyaSowvcJw

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

April 14 is John Mulaney and Jack White

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I like Mulaney but I predict this will be terrible. 20 minute opening monologue, and bad sketches because he can't act.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Just have Mulaney do an hour and a half of Oh, Hello!.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I have the highest hopes for this episode. Mulaney is one of the funniest people alive, and I don't even care that he's limited as an actor. And Jack White is one of my favorite musicians and "personalities" in music. Ironically enough, that will be a rare Saturday night when I won't be home to watch SNL. I'll be flying home from a work trip to Nashville, and my plan was to tour Third Man Records that afternoon on my way to the airport. I guess I won't be running into Jack there!

I think bringing Bill Hader back so soon for another Stefon appearance with Mulaney as "Shy" is asking a little too much. It would be amusing to see Nasim Pedrad return in a cameo, but after how Mulaney's sitcom went, they may never want to see each other again. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nick Kroll shows up. They'll probably do at least one "old-timey" Hollywood sketch, since Mulaney excels writing that kind of material, and he can do that trans-Atlantic accent for it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Love Mulaney.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It would be amusing to see Nasim Pedrad return in a cameo, but after how Mulaney's sitcom went, they may never want to see each other again.

Wait, why would they have beef? The show tanked but I don't recall ever hearing about them having issues.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Timby posted:

Wait, why would they have beef? The show tanked but I don't recall ever hearing about them having issues.

I didn't mean to imply they had any issues! Sorry about that. Just that the show tanking probably wasn't a great experience for either of them, although Mulaney was set up to fail. His original concept sounded a lot more interesting and a LOT darker, dealing with his own alcoholism and recovery process, all while performing in comedy clubs.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I

I think bringing Bill Hader back so soon for another Stefon appearance with Mulaney as "Shy" is asking a little too much.
Are you saying last week was too soon or you just expect another Stefon just because Mulaney is hosting?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tonight’s Vintage is Melissa McCarthy and Kanye West from February 13, 2016. The regular repeat is Kevin Hart and Foo Fighters from this last Christmas.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

pwn posted:

Tonight’s Vintage is Melissa McCarthy and Kanye West from February 13, 2016. The regular repeat is Kevin Hart and Foo Fighters from this last Christmas.

I guess "vintage" has a different meaning at NBC.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

Are you saying last week was too soon or you just expect another Stefon just because Mulaney is hosting?

I love Stefon. I would take new Stefon every week. I'd love Hader, Mulaney, and Seth Meyers to collaborate on a Stefon movie, with all seriousness. Nothing has ever made me laugh as hard as the Jewish vampire, Sidney Applebaum. I'd be thrilled if they did it again so soon, but the odds are against it.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

I love Stefon. I would take new Stefon every week. I'd love Hader, Mulaney, and Seth Meyers to collaborate on a Stefon movie, with all seriousness. Nothing has ever made me laugh as hard as the Jewish vampire, Sidney Applebaum. I'd be thrilled if they did it again so soon, but the odds are against it.

I’ve been curious to see how Stefon would work in a sketch format.

It hadn’t occurred to me until they put Cecily as WU anchor for the one year and I wondered if it might be possible to keep her “Girl You Wish You Hadn’t Gotten into a Conversation with at a Party” character around.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Oh good. I thought I was only weirdo who randomly giggles when he thinks of "Sidney Applebaum".

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CaveGrinch posted:

I’ve been curious to see how Stefon would work in a sketch format.

Stefon' first appearance was in a sketch with Ben Affleck, where they played brothers.

jojoinnit posted:

Oh good. I thought I was only weirdo who randomly giggles when he thinks of "Sidney Applebaum".

It blew my mind when I found out relatively recently it was a reference to a Woody Allen movie I've never seen, Love and Death:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-joke-in-Sidney-Applebaum-on-SNL

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 1, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Stefon's voice and mannerisms were also based on a barrista(? Not sure if its gender neutral) that worked at a coffee shop close to 30 Rockefeller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

hot new threads

• Locked thread