Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't know what the thread title means. It's April but I'm not going to put a stupid joke in here. Talk about random comics or whatever for the next month in this thread!

:effort:

This is from the last thread and should be reposted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really hope that we move out of the faux 80s nostalgia stuff, with like Stranger Things, and into faux 90s nostalgia. Because then the'll be able to make a X-Statix movie

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I couldn't find Waldo.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really hope that we move out of the faux 80s nostalgia stuff, with like Stranger Things, and into faux 90s nostalgia. Because then the'll be able to make a X-Statix movie

X-Statix first appeared in 2001. 2k nostalgia is still a long ways off, I'm afraid.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

roomforthetuna posted:

I couldn't find Waldo.

He's behind Beast and next to naked Angel. He's drawn like a hipster, tho.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

JordanKai posted:

X-Statix first appeared in 2001. 2k nostalgia is still a long ways off, I'm afraid.

2001 is basically the nineties. Every decade culturally extends a couple years into the next one

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Guy Goodbody posted:

2001 is basically the nineties. Every decade culturally extends a couple years into the next one

I suppose so broadly, but as far as I'm concerned that precise moment in Marvel comics-- X-Statix, Morrisson's X-Men, Bendis on Daredevil, etc.-- was deliberately and pretty effectively a break with what came before it. If you compare the first page of New X-Men to the last page of Lobdell's brief fill-in run it's like falling asleep in one century and waking up in another. Say what you will about Joe Quesada's stewardship but he cleared a lot of brush, and the best of Marvel's 2000/2001 stuff (I'm including here Ultimate Spidey) feels much more like a tone-setting for the next decade rather than the dying throes of the previous one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everyone knows the 90s ended on 9/11.

E: And the 80s ended when Nevermind came out.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 1, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Archyduke posted:

I suppose so broadly, but as far as I'm concerned that precise moment in Marvel comics-- X-Statix, Morrisson's X-Men, Bendis on Daredevil, etc.-- was deliberately and pretty effectively a break with what came before it. If you compare the first page of New X-Men to the last page of Lobdell's brief fill-in run it's like falling asleep in one century and waking up in another. Say what you will about Joe Quesada's stewardship but he cleared a lot of brush, and the best of Marvel's 2000/2001 stuff (I'm including here Ultimate Spidey) feels much more like a tone-setting for the next decade rather than the dying throes of the previous one.

But that's your perspective from knowing about comics. From the perspective of a general person, MTV, Big Brother, Spice Girls, skateboarding, all that culture that X-Statix was drawing from, was the 90s. So if they make an X-Statix movie general audiences are gonna see it as a 90s throwback.

Lurdiak posted:

Everyone knows the 90s ended on 9/11.

yeah

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Thanks for reminding me I need to read X-Statix...I devoured the Slott Silver Surfer with Allred art on MU, but I think I probably will just cough up for the X-Statix Omnibus because I like reading physical more.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/156794213561/kateordie-i-was-on-this-poo poo-before-riverdale

Huh, I didn't know Archie had LGBT awareness for so long.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Guy Goodbody posted:

See also Total Recall technically not being an 80s film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh you know I'm not letting this go by without bringing this tweet up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, I see who tweeted that now. I get it now.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Covok posted:

Oh, I see who tweeted that now. I get it now.

Wait, I don't. But I'm immediately hostile to anybody who calls Eisner mediocre.

Covok
May 27, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Wait, I don't. But I'm immediately hostile to anybody who calls Eisner mediocre.

The guy who tweeted that tweet is the guy who made that tumblr post about Archie.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I don't know know who Aaron Diaz is but I know he has insufferable opinions over, well, everything.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lurdiak posted:

I've never seen this before but it's absolutely incredible. :vince:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I was hoping for actual trenchant analysis of LGBT issues in Archie comics, especially focusing on Jughead's long hinted-at homosexuality/asexuality and Kevin Keller, but nope it is some high-larious out of context panels that may or may not have been photoshopped instead. Oh well.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CapnAndy posted:

I was hoping for actual trenchant analysis of LGBT issues in Archie comics, especially focusing on Jughead's long hinted-at homosexuality/asexuality and Kevin Keller, but nope it is some high-larious out of context panels that may or may not have been photoshopped instead. Oh well.

Yeah but that's everyday for you. Every day you wake up hoping for actual trenchant analysis of social issues in Archie comics. Sometimes you get it, but you still have to be expecting disappointment by now.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's a shame because I think Archie comics are pretty fascinating cultural artifacts, and I don't doubt that somebody with the wherewithal could write a really good paper or monograph about the function of queerness within Riverdale's ambivalently chaste sexual miasma, or even the reception of Archie in gay circles as a high camp artifact, but the internet is generally content to just, like, repost that "I had to beat off two guys" panel forever and ever.

Although, I mean, those panels are a big part of Archie's contemporary circulation as camp (see Kate Leth's commentary in the post Aaron Diaz reblogged), so I guess I shouldn't dismiss them out of hand.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
This is only tangentially related to comics because it's by two guys who write for/about comics doing it and there is no shortage of comics analogies throughout, but:

If you like War Rocket Ajax, Chris Sims from that show and I have banded together to launch a new podcast called Apocrypals, in which the two of us discuss the Bible and its multitude of apocrypha in a non-linear fashion. The zero episode is up now, in which we discuss our backgrounds with religion and the Bible, such as getting punked by fake pizza parties and $50 bills and growing up in a haunted church.

Anyway, I'm aware that today is April 1, but this is not a prank, and we launched today because of Easter, not that other holiday going on today. We'll be back next week with our first regular episode about Acts of the Apostles. We're on iTunes etc, so maybe give it a listen if you're so inclined.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Benito Cereno posted:

This is only tangentially related to comics because it's by two guys who write for/about comics doing it and there is no shortage of comics analogies throughout, but:

If you like War Rocket Ajax, Chris Sims from that show and I have banded together to launch a new podcast called Apocrypals, in which the two of us discuss the Bible and its multitude of apocrypha in a non-linear fashion. The zero episode is up now, in which we discuss our backgrounds with religion and the Bible, such as getting punked by fake pizza parties and $50 bills and growing up in a haunted church.

Anyway, I'm aware that today is April 1, but this is not a prank, and we launched today because of Easter, not that other holiday going on today. We'll be back next week with our first regular episode about Acts of the Apostles. We're on iTunes etc, so maybe give it a listen if you're so inclined.

Uh.... Has Chris just given up on sleep as a concept now? How does his wife feel about him podcasting for 21 hours out of every 24?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How else is he going to pay those gimmicks he gets in the mail every month called bills?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Uh.... Has Chris just given up on sleep as a concept now? How does his wife feel about him podcasting for 21 hours out of every 24?

The Sailor Moon one he co-hosts must surely be getting towards the end of the series by now?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

Same but with Major Bummer, which is 90s as gently caress.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I thought we'd already started to move into 90s nostalgia. I mean Roseanne is back for gently caress's sake.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Sailor Moon one he co-hosts must surely be getting towards the end of the series by now?

It's close. They're about 3/4ths done, then they're gonna do the ~50 episode live action series, and there was talk they might try the current manga-to-anime adaptation last depending on what's done of it.

No, I'm totally not a regular listener.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I listened to it up until they finished recapping the first season, then I sort of drifted away from it, because that's all I ever saw when I was a kid.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Wheat Loaf posted:

I listened to it up until they finished recapping the first season, then I sort of drifted away from it, because that's all I ever saw when I was a kid.

I might try leaping in on the current one because it's past where Chris has ever seen? And both guests and Jordan are learning on revisiting it that "oh man, the anime turned these generic villains skeezy as gently caress".

Also because all of them hate the horse-based plot.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I thought we'd already started to move into 90s nostalgia. I mean Roseanne is back for gently caress's sake.

...why? Why would anyone ever...?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Covok posted:

It scored a 5.1 in the ratings.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

It scored a 5.1 in the ratings.

Which means...?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Covok posted:

Because if there's one thing the media loves more than fawning over Real America (tm)'s legions of gun-humping Trumpenvolk, it's reheated nostalgia for cheap Remember-The-90s pops.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Covok posted:

Which means...?

It’s wildly successful.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Covok posted:

Which means...?

A lot of olds identified with the Rosanne being an old white national alex jones conspiracy spouting parent whise kids hat her.

Covok
May 27, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s wildly successful.

Gotcha. I assumed it was on a 10 scale, but I guess it must mean 5.1 million.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Covok posted:

Which means...?

Nearly 20 million people tuned in.

"The only scripted show this season to outperform “Roseanne” was the post-Super Bowl episode of “This Is Us,” which drew a 9.3 and 26.97 million viewers."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Nearly 20 million people tuned in.

"The only scripted show this season to outperform “Roseanne” was the post-Super Bowl episode of “This Is Us,” which drew a 9.3 and 26.97 million viewers."

"9.3"

"26.97 million"

How does this system work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Covok posted:

"9.3"

"26.97 million"

How does this system work?

Poorly.

• Locked thread