Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The first tweet is a reference to the Anime/Manga Pop Team Epic.

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/980105467815841793?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Magnai is a shitbag incel who constantly screams about needing to find his perfect wife as bestowed to him from the Dusk Mother herself. This is his journey.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WoFF, just give me the loving monsters I want. I hate this mechanic in pokemon and its even shittier here since I have to trigger an effect to even be allowed to capture them.

This type of monster collecting and raising game continues to irritate me at every turn.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Barudak posted:

WoFF, just give me the loving monsters I want. I hate this mechanic in pokemon and its even shittier here since I have to trigger an effect to even be allowed to capture them.

This type of monster collecting and raising game continues to irritate me at every turn.

Don't play games you don't like then?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

It's even better than pokemon because you can keep doing the trigger condition to increase it to 100% rather than have it fail for no reason.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's even better than pokemon because you can keep doing the trigger condition to increase it to 100% rather than have it fail for no reason.
also known as "the opposite of Ni No Kuni"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Does it gave to be in the same battle? The thing Im trying to catch runs every single time Ive triggered its condition so far.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gologle posted:

If you guys liked Suikoden II so much, why didn't you buy it back then

My copy sits with my copies of 1, 3, 4, 5, and Tactics. :smuggo:

...and my copy of Tierkreis :suicide:

ROFL Octopus posted:

Corn neglected to mention it’s a tournament arc where you don’t participate bc it’s for your sister’s hand in marriage lol

Also you have a couple temporary bases before you finally get your main base, which is a big deal in suikoden

I love suikoden v to death but it’s phenomenally slow

Your young 10(?) year old sister, at that.

The prince also has a dumb outfit and the game rubs this in your face by giving him a cool outfit for part of the game and you don't get to keep the better outfit afterwards.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Nephzinho posted:

Don't play games you don't like then?

You should try WoFF, don't judge a game before you've played it!

29 hours later...

Wtf, why are you playing a game if you don't like it?

The circle of life continues.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drq5ER6MHAM

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I appreciated that video very much, it felt like something The Onion would have done before.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Gologle posted:

You should try WoFF, don't judge a game before you've played it!

29 hours later...

Wtf, why are you playing a game if you don't like it?

The circle of life continues.

I mean, if you don't like Pokemon-esque games, you're not going to like it. Same thing as people who don't like musous not liking Hyrule Warriors. There's giving a game a chance and just not being into a genre entirely.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
oh my god the Harvesting Stick and the old guy tossing his phone in the water :allears:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Does it gave to be in the same battle? The thing Im trying to catch runs every single time Ive triggered its condition so far.

Yea it has to be in the same battle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea it has to be in the same battle.

Well guess Im beating the game without those Monsters.

The mirage board is like the worst attributes of crystarium and sphere grid jammed into each other.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sapozhnik posted:

Circle is "Death" which is a ranged attack that inflicts continuous damage while you are holding attack. Some enemies instantly explode into literal pink mist, others take very small damage over time.

Square is "Holy" which causes dodges to inflict damage and drains your MP constantly. It's kind of lovely tbh unless you are surrounded by enemies that are constantly spamming attacks at you.

Triangle is Alterna which takes a few seconds to charge up, requires a full MP bar (which gets completely consumed) and AoE instakills everything with a varying probability depending on the enemy.

Holy is lovely now but it used to be the only real option. The instant-death stuff usually didn't work (and never worked on any enemy outside of Chapter 13) so Holy was the only reliable damage output.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Holy is lovely now but it used to be the only real option. The instant-death stuff usually didn't work (and never worked on any enemy outside of Chapter 13) so Holy was the only reliable damage output.

Holy owns, though. If you time it, instead of sitting in it, it does good damage and restores way more mp than it costs.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

Well guess Im beating the game without those Monsters.

The mirage board is like the worst attributes of crystarium and sphere grid jammed into each other.

for a lot of them, I think you can just catch them in the colosseum later, even if it's a different form

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Holy does loads of damage if you time it well and it's hardly a tight window

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Holding down the warp strike button casts Alternis, which is just X-Zone/Warp from older games. Takes all your MP and sucks all the enemies away into the void but you don't get any drops I think.

You definitely get drops from it and it’s insanely effective. Using it to slay adamantoise is one of the most satisfying things in the series.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The prince also has a dumb outfit and the game rubs this in your face by giving him a cool outfit for part of the game and you don't get to keep the better outfit afterwards.

All of his other outfits are great, including one only seen at the end. But the game has multiple characters go on about how cool and good his main outfit is and it sucks. :mad:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I like his default costume! I wore it all the time, Behemoth jacket was cool but the colors were too 80s neon for me.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The White Dragon posted:

I like his default costume! I wore it all the time, Behemoth jacket was cool but the colors were too 80s neon for me.

That was about the suikoden v prince’s outfit, noctis’s outfits are good

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh ok yeah I know what you mean. Wasn't the Prince's fugitive costume just the thing the hero wears in Suikoden 1?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Yeah. It’s pretty simple, but functional and cool.

To tie it back to final fantasy, suikoden v and final fantasy x both galvanized my belief that every JRPG should have alternate outfits.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Every jrpg should have a power rangers like outfit for the party.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I like many picked up FFXV as it came out for Windows a few weeks back. After many hours of driving around doing poo poo in the open world, I finally got on with the story.

I never read any reviews of this, and didn't want any videos or anything to give away what happens and also I didn't really care.

That said, having gone and looked at some reviews now, and read this thread a bit, holy gently caress there can't be enough awful things said about the poo poo show that is the current chapter I'm on, unlucky 13.

This is seriously one of the worst segments of a game I've played in ages. It's like the designers were like "After we literally put the party on rails for a while, let's completely disregard the gameplay as they know it, introduce a bunch of new stuff, take away their poo poo and make them run through boring corridors. That's a good loving idea! Oh yeah, let's make them only be able to save at certain save zones too!"

So I finally get to Prompto, think oh good this poo poo is over. Bug hits. No worries, just reload to the last autosave, surely that must have been after I got to Prompto...nope! Back all the way to getting Dad's sword. GG Chapter 13, probably never finish this game because I don't know if I can stomach replaying that section.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's good

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PaybackJack posted:

That said, having gone and looked at some reviews now, and read this thread a bit, holy gently caress there can't be enough awful things said about the poo poo show that is the current chapter I'm on, unlucky 13.

This is seriously one of the worst segments of a game I've played in ages. It's like the designers were like "After we literally put the party on rails for a while, let's completely disregard the gameplay as they know it, introduce a bunch of new stuff, take away their poo poo and make them run through boring corridors. That's a good loving idea! Oh yeah, let's make them only be able to save at certain save zones too!"

Play Gladio and Ignis's path. It's linear, you punch poo poo, you listen to some radio broadcasts... easy life. iirc the game even gives you multiple opportunities to play as them, like the devs know they hosed up so they want to give you every possible chance to play the Good Chapter 13.

My only complaint is that I was kinda hoping for some dark humor Rosencrantz-and-Guildenstern banter between them but it never really went there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

I like many picked up FFXV as it came out for Windows a few weeks back. After many hours of driving around doing poo poo in the open world, I finally got on with the story.

I never read any reviews of this, and didn't want any videos or anything to give away what happens and also I didn't really care.

So I finally get to Prompto, think oh good this poo poo is over. Bug hits. No worries, just reload to the last autosave, surely that must have been after I got to Prompto...nope! Back all the way to getting Dad's sword. GG Chapter 13, probably never finish this game because I don't know if I can stomach replaying that section.

While the ch13 definitely overstayed it's welcome I do like that the the gameplay mirrors the plot. For the first few chapters it's open world because Noctis is having a roadtrip / has to search for the summon's blessings / Lucian weapons. But then poo poo gets real and he gets railroaded :v: into a linear path to fulfill his destiny. (or you can just talk to the magic dog and return to the open world :woof:)

but also

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

(or you can just talk to the magic dog and return to the open world :woof:)

I've seen some people unhappy about this but it's the best part of the game. Like not even for how player-friendly it is, but just having a time travelling magic dog out of nowhere is great.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
ffxv is one of the most disappointing games with some of the worst boss fights I can't believe any of the poo poo like leviathan or the titan guy even made it into the game. I can't believe anything after the open world section made it into the game. It does the opposite thing that FF games had traditionally done of having the game world start small and then slowly opening it up. Instead it goes here, have fun exploring and doing cool poo poo then they take it all away until later and laugh at you when no new poo poo opens up you can tell that all those other areas were supposed to have open world exploring bits but they ran out of money or time or will to go on because they were tired of working on a bad game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

ffxv is one of the most disappointing games with some of the worst boss fights I can't believe any of the poo poo like leviathan or the titan guy even made it into the game. I can't believe anything after the open world section made it into the game. It does the opposite thing that FF games had traditionally done of having the game world start small and then slowly opening it up. Instead it goes here, have fun exploring and doing cool poo poo then they take it all away until later and laugh at you when no new poo poo opens up you can tell that all those other areas were supposed to have open world exploring bits but they ran out of money or time or will to go on because they were tired of working on a bad game.

Haha good April fool's joke!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Renoistic posted:

Haha good April fool's joke!

Yeah, like anyone plays a Final Fantasy game and expects not to be incredibly disappointed.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, like anyone plays a Final Fantasy game and expects not to be incredibly disappointed.

Are you trying to say that the final ending scene of final fantasy 7 was not the greatest and most conclusive ending of all time? You even saw one of the main characters in it.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

The ultimate Final Fantasy tier list:

Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIV
Final Fantasy XV

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the worst boss fights I can't believe any of the poo poo like leviathan or the titan guy even made it into the game.

well I'm with you on this bit. Wasn't happy with part 2 of the final boss, either, tbh.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

every game in the series manages to be more poo poo than the last!!!

nah april fool’s, just your pal rofl octopus joshin’ w/you guys on this silly day

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

That whole Titan sequence was rad as hell tbh

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Red Red Blue posted:

That whole Titan sequence was rad as hell tbh

It was, and so was Leviathan, but they're half-scripted and if all you do is punch, you'll eventually die because you need to parry a couple times to progress the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

The ultimate Final Fantasy tier list:

Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIV
Final Fantasy XV

Obviously fake and poo poo. Doesn't include X-2 (which would be at #1).