Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The last two episodes of the season are incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

In the manga they both reveal it to Eren in a corner panel of a page where other stuff is going on, it's wild.

Edit:

literally the best part of the manga, altho the basement actually being worth the wait was a pleasant surprise

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Don't think I've ever seen a reveal that so effectively clotheslined me as a reader

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Attack on Titan's plot twists are so loving good it astounds me. Even if you know what's coming, the execution of every scene is so good. Like in the anime when Annie is formally revealed, the audience has definitely figured it out by that point, but the show deliberately denies them the knowledge that the protagonists have figured it out too. So when you think Annie is leading them into a trap, it's actually the opposite (and then she reverses that situation, too, in true Jojo's style).
The Bert and Ernie reveal is incredible. In the anime, they are literally off-screen and muttering it in the background. When I watched with my friends, they all did a double-take.
The fact that Isayama can set up all these BIG MYSTERIES and still have the ultimate reveals be satisfying is something I'm supremely envious of. I was certain that the basement was gonna be lame, but man was it something else.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Beefstew posted:

Attack on Titan's plot twists are so loving good it astounds me. Even if you know what's coming, the execution of every scene is so good. Like in the anime when Annie is formally revealed, the audience has definitely figured it out by that point, but the show deliberately denies them the knowledge that the protagonists have figured it out too. So when you think Annie is leading them into a trap, it's actually the opposite (and then she reverses that situation, too, in true Jojo's style).
The Bert and Ernie reveal is incredible. In the anime, they are literally off-screen and muttering it in the background. When I watched with my friends, they all did a double-take.
The fact that Isayama can set up all these BIG MYSTERIES and still have the ultimate reveals be satisfying is something I'm supremely envious of. I was certain that the basement was gonna be lame, but man was it something else.

My personal favorite is the reveal of Ymir's fate. Best moment in the entire manga for me, by far.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The best fake-out of any reveal, possibly in any manga ever, is when they get to the basement and the key doesn't work, so Levi just kicks the door down.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

ZiegeDame posted:

The best fake-out of any reveal, possibly in any manga ever, is when they get to the basement and the key doesn't work, so Levi just kicks the door down.

He's the best anti-macguffin :allears:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Time to watch the last two episodes of the season. Still thinking about Levi calling Armin and Hange the brain trust lmbo, also still sour I never got to see Annie fight Mikasa. tense for the showdown here because even though we have Erwin and Mikasa without Levi we're at like 50% power max.

Even when it's this tank shitbag I really like the giant Titan running sounds.

Chuckling again at Erwin using the MP to bait the Titans into chasing them (presumably planning for them to attack Reiner too). Erwin is so goddamn ruthless but you know gently caress these Titans. No explanation or anything about why they attacked humanity except that they did want to destroy us. It better not turn out that way in the past humans hunted their species to extinction or something. we're always extincting things

Also hell yes Mikasa girl freaking ice Ymir if you feel like it. There's no one I'd choose over her in a fight tbh if it came down tow it. Except Levi ofc.

I bet Historia will be happy to go with Ymir

Oh maybe Ymir will explain the actual truth to Christa.

Having Todoroki's VA is the only reason I haven't sentenced you to death yet, Bertholt, so shut your beak.

Stole the power of a Titan eh, Ymir. So it is something bequathed to humans and not a separate species like it seemed for a while there. Also still expostiting incidentally instead of whacking out a powerpoint or something useful to me

You're falling for your own lies, Ymir, you totally are putting Christa first. "Please save me Hisotria", I am so loving down for this love fest.

Eren is a wake finally!

Bertie (he's definitely cowardly enough to be one) staring out in terror as Mikasa gazes at him through Reiner's fingers is intenseeeeeee. Everytime I get hyped for her like this Iremember in the Annie fight she was merely present while Levi sonic the hedgehogged Annie. That just makes me insanley hyped for Levi again :getin:

Mikasa is so loving badarse

Bertholt inside Reiner's fist while the other cadets are on teh outside telling him how hosed he is is giving me flashbacks to my mother trying to hammer down the bathroom door after Iocked myself in when I was suspended from school. Trying to judge if you're more hosed opening the door or not is a pain I know well, bertie.

Glad Jean is back his development last season was really good and Imissed him this season. Also this scene is so good, I am so conficliected about the evil titan boyos.

Bertie with the deep emotional response FINALLY. Loving this synth soundtrack this season btw. Poor Bertholt (he gets his name back now)

In awe of the size of Erwin's balls. Absolute unit.

I go on about Levi but goddamn without ERwin it feels like humanity would be doomed. Dude needs hella props. Absolute mentalist.

lmao at the MP staying out of thingsgs being judgy then getting eaten.

HE IS GOTTAMN BEING CHOMPED AND STILL GIVING ORDERS YESSSSSSSSSS

Mikasa you should aim to cut Eren so he can actvatte!

Holy poo poo Armin is loving rinsing Bertholt here, what a loving man. Every red Titan is going to end up hosed up by Eren after Armin mentally ruins them at this rate.

Imagine being that owned by Armin

loving hell ERwin how much can you loving rule I do not know

THIS SMILING FUKING oval office LET'S loving DSTORY HIM

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

EmmyOk posted:

Imagine being that owned by Armin

New thread title right here

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I hope you also give chapter by chapter breakdowns when you're done

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That Armin comic rules so much lmao. I definitley plan to do chapter reactions as I catchup. It'll probably be a while though because I'm planning to buy the volumes and read from the start, so it'll take a month or two until I am where the anime ended.

I thought the silhouettte looked like that Titan but didn't expect it actually to be that one. Mikasa could beat it easily but her ribs are hurt so I guess Eren is going to take it on and fail to escape then maybe. No idea how this ends tbh.

I am very concerned about Erwin! He'd be a solid death though as he's really impactful on the story and humanity's hopes in general.

I forgot Hannes was here! Come on Hannes redemption arc. I suspect he'll be the one to die or perhaps just one of those who will die.

Christa is History-a now :coal:

These two are so great.

He can't transform, how embarrassing! Also things are not looking good for ERwin.

Everyone seems kind of hosed honestly. That earlier hopeful music with Ymir and Historia was super misleading.

Now I'm just sad. Something good happen please.

Even if Eren transforms that will worry me that then Reiner and Bertholt will successfully kidnap him.

WHY IS THIS TITAN SUCK A loving FUCKER FUCKFACE gently caress, FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I think that scene of the blue flowers being covered in blood was one of the flashes from Eren's dream in the very first episode.

Mikasa support is powerful thank goodness. Well that scarf thing was super cute andd sweet, here we goooooooo

em what the hell is happening

CAN HE CONTROL TITANS!!! YESSSSSSSSSSS. THIS MIGHT BE WHAT THE CO-ORDINATE IS? HE IS CO-ORDINATING THEM??? NO WONDER BERTHOLT AND REINER WANTED HIM

This is good and cool. So I guess ERen does have a secret ability lmao

I wonder why Bertholt isn't transforming. Maybe he's still exhausted or maybe he's too unwieldy and the little ones would swarm him. Maybe he's too big to even walk around that freely. Only ever seen him stand at the wall and appear on top of it.

He is now Punished Erwin

Seriously appreciating this synth music, especially the building tense/dread one.

Finally humans being turned to Titans is mentioned. This had better not slow Levi from slaughtering Titans, though hopefully ones like Beast Titan.

Ahhhh was that his The Beast Titan's acutal human form? Homeless hohenheim lookin bitch.

oh boo now after the credits scene

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the scene where mikasa tries as hard as humanly possible to make eren understand how she feels without writing it on his face in permanent marker only for him to completely miss the point anyway is really funny to me for some reason

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I still have a hard time praising Erwin because yeah he's brilliant but also incredibly ruthless and also named and probably modeled after a dang nazi. Just have a hard time trying to get behind the idea of "when humanity is threatened, we must look up to the dude who gives no poo poo about any individual human being's welfare"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He's interesting because he's basically a key part of how humanity are fighting the Titans but I would revile him if he was a real person in the world I lived in. A big point in his favour too is that he's not staying in a safe spot at the back or leading from a distance, he's up front leading even when hanging out of a Titan's mouth.

Manatee Cannon posted:

the scene where mikasa tries as hard as humanly possible to make eren understand how she feels without writing it on his face in permanent marker only for him to completely miss the point anyway is really funny to me for some reason

Yeah I was sure that was a kiss moment incoming but I guess Eren was just like "ah yeds I am a master of scarves"

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Eej posted:

"when humanity is threatened, we must look up to the dude who gives no poo poo about any individual human being's welfare"

That's kind of the theme of the whole series though, trading your humanity to incite change and whatever, the characters explicitly speak on this

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

You actually see her nudge forward the moment he stands up.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The main cast very much cares about individual people. Mikasa is the extreme in that she only cares about Eren and Armin. Even Levi cares about the people under his command. Erwin has long abandoned the concept of caring for any individual even himself for the purpose of fulfilling his goals. Which yeah makes him terrifyingly effective but the real monster is humanity etc.

also gives no fucks about the coup planners one of whom is into some hosed up poo poo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah the theme has been super apparent about sacrificing your humanity in order to defeat the monsters, Armin literally says it to spur on Eren when Eren's resolve is failing when he has to face Annie. Eren's past with Mikasa and then her spurring him on to fight Annie had the same stuff. I am hoping the grander theme over all will be that this is a mistaken philosophy as Eren showed mercy to Annie and in the finale of this season it was Mikasa's kindness that helped Eren control Titans rather than his insane horniness for Titan death.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The real titans were the friends we made along the way.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

tweet my meat posted:

drat you, Ape Man!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

First of all I told you, I was Man Ape!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah the theme has been super apparent about sacrificing your humanity in order to defeat the monsters, Armin literally says it to spur on Eren when Eren's resolve is failing when he has to face Annie. Eren's past with Mikasa and then her spurring him on to fight Annie had the same stuff. I am hoping the grander theme over all will be that this is a mistaken philosophy as Eren showed mercy to Annie and in the finale of this season it was Mikasa's kindness that helped Eren control Titans rather than his insane horniness for Titan death.

Too bad for Mikasa the day wasn't saved by horniness for something else

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Beast Titan's "Not yet, eh?" might be my favorite moment in the anime. It's not only a response to Erwin's speech and a comment about his own hesitance to immediately assault the walls, it's also a fourth-wall break telling you to wait for another season.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

I think that scene of the blue flowers being covered in blood was one of the flashes from Eren's dream in the very first episode.

Holy poo poo it is

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm hoping the person who made this adds a third panel reflecting Armin's further development in the manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
imo EmmyOK should just start off at around chapter 42 and go from there, then go back and read 1-41 after getting caught up

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ATP_Power posted:

I'm hoping the person who made this adds a third panel reflecting Armin's further development in the manga.

"I'm going to physically destroy your entire country".

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Captain Invictus posted:

imo EmmyOK should just start off at around chapter 42 and go from there, then go back and read 1-41 after getting caught up

Seconded. Just continue with the manga.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Say Nothing posted:

"I'm going to physically destroy your entire country".

Armin and Floch are the only two characters I have any respect left for because they're at least completely honest with who they are and who they (and by extension, mankind) need to become to win this war, and they make zero excuses about it. Almost everyone else is, at the end of the day, a sanctimonious self-righteous hypocrite to some degree or another who in my eyes only exist to give big bullshit shonen speeches, then die abrupt and undignified grisly deaths to punctuate the pointlessness of it all.

Erwin is one small step below them for me because he isn't quite as honest, since he still needs to make his big bullshit speeches to rouse the cannon fodder to action. And Ymir is just lol ymir.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

theCalamity posted:

Seconded. Just continue with the manga.

Thirdied. It’s the only thing holding us together until the next chapter. How does the month go by soooo slow?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

Spoilers!!!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I think it's chapter 50ish where the anime ends. Although it's worth starting reading from Reiner/Bert being exposed and onward because they do some events out of order in the anime. Specifically Ymir's backstory is 50 chapters early, you learn titans are humans an arc early and Beast Titan is a human (This was big speculation a few years ago).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Neat! So I'm guessing his line from the season opener about residing in the nape was also added?

How far along is the official translation?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I think that was in the original, but where he was a monkey, could control/make titans, and was never shown outside his titan body it was unclear what he was. The manga is really far along, season 2's arc is almost 4 years old now. I'm pretty sure S2 was delayed so long because the writer wanted to add in Ymir's story but had to wait for it to be revealed in the manga.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Neat! So I'm guessing his line from the season opener about residing in the nape was also added?

How far along is the official translation?

The official translation has the same pace than the Japanese release, more or less. It's up to date.

Right now, there are two seasons and a half worth of content, maybe near three, doing an equivalency with the anime.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Reading your reaction has made me so hype for the next chapter and I look forward to hearing your reaction to the basement reveal.

I am honestly worried whether you will get through the next arc which most people consider a slog. It has a lot of cool moments for me personally and all of it is important to the story, but the action ramps down for quite a bit. Easy to lose interest at that point although I haven't read the chapters back to back to see how it works as a binge read.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Asuron posted:

I am honestly worried whether you will get through the next arc which most people consider a slog. It has a lot of cool moments for me personally and all of it is important to the story, but the action ramps down for quite a bit. Easy to lose interest at that point although I haven't read the chapters back to back to see how it works as a binge read.

I'm always surprised when I'm reminded that this is the popular opinion. Personally, I loved the tension, and thought it had a great payoff.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I liked the next arc a lot. it'll probably be better animated but it's still good as is

I did binge read it tho so that might be the difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

It was a slog for monthly readers cause the previous arc left so many unanswered questions and you want to get in that basement and fight the monkey man but now youre fighting Crazy Uncle Kenny and every chapter that Rod gave us some info it just lead to more mysteries. Then when it looks like we're finally out of that rabbit hole there's a burning turkey to fight for another 3 months.

As a whole though I enjoyed it and it was a necessary arc. Can't wait to see how the anime revises it.