Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
What I heard is not so much sleeping with underage fans as gross sexpat stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Frankly, David Bowie picked a real convenient time to die.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He knew what was coming and took the easy way out.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

it is loving insane that chris brown recovered.

Yeah, with tracks like Loyal no less. Completely shameless and unapologetic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

it is loving insane that chris brown recovered.

2Pac was a convicted rapist and people still treat him as some kinda hip hop saint.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Frankly, David Bowie picked a real convenient time to die.

I don't think he was ever apologetic either, his Broadway play 'lazarus' he was helping direct before he died features a 14yo girl dancer as a lead playing the 'muse'. It's featured in the hbo doc, the last five years.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah, with tracks like Loyal no less. Completely shameless and unapologetic.

Or that loving tattoo he got on his neck.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It should come as no surprise that Bowie has a huge defense force even among people that supposedly support Me Too. “Oh this is different, Oh it was a different time, of they were all doing it, that’s not rape rape, etc”

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Alhazred posted:

2Pac was a convicted rapist and people still treat him as some kinda hip hop saint.

Biggie was a serial domestic abuser.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Alhazred posted:

There’s still controversy over whether or not he was involved or if he was passed out in the other room (I think)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also think a lot of the 2Pac stuff is really less about celebrating what a good person he was and more about exploring what a complicated and conflicted person he was and thinking it was kind of tragic that he died so young before he had a chance to find some inner peace and become a better person. Also that he seemed to almost be welcoming the peace of death.

I don't know. I find Tupac Shakur's life and death interesting and tragic but I don't think he was a good person who made good life choices.

Although there certainly are people who just think he's a "saint" because there's lots of crazy poo poo around 2Pac.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I also think a lot of the 2Pac stuff is really less about celebrating what a good person he was and more about exploring what a complicated and conflicted person he was and thinking it was kind of tragic that he died so young before he had a chance to find some inner peace and become a better person. Also that he seemed to almost be welcoming the peace of death.

I don't know. I find Tupac Shakur's life and death interesting and tragic but I don't think he was a good person who made good life choices.

Although there certainly are people who just think he's a "saint" because there's lots of crazy poo poo around 2Pac.

There are some folks who will lose their minds when confronted with the idea that an entertainer they like wasn't a good person, and I find if that entertainer died young, it gets especially bad. When the firestorm of recent sexual assault charges in Hollywood first got started I mentioned to a friend that there was some stuff like this in the 90's, too, and I mentioned 2Pac by name because a lot of folks seem to have forgotten that he was accused and convicted (which is odd since he mentions it in his songs periodically), and a co-worker who'd overheard it loving exploded on me over it, asking how I could say such things, etc. I asked him, what do you think he went to jail for? He didn't have an answer, just kept saying something about who it wasn't cool for me to say.

Same guy almost cried because I politely disagreed with his assessment that The Sopranos is the best TV show of all time. It should be noted that I think it's really drat good show, but it stumbles here and there.

I don't even want to think about what would happen in front of someone who believes Cobain was a saint, and I say that as someone who loves Nirvana.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 2, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't even want to think about what would happen in front of someone who believes Cobain was a saint, and I say that as someone who loves Nirvana.

They would explode into a fantastic rage just like when you say he killed himself

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Len posted:

They would explode into a fantastic rage just like when you say he killed himself

I feel like the murder conspiracy folks are almost their own section of crazy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Knowing very little about the rap/hip hop scene other than cultural osmosis, it seems like you're considered a little behind on your cred if you HAVEN'T been in prison at some point, or at least gotten shot, addicted to drugs or having dealt them.I mean, the whole thing kinda is built on making confrontational and boundary-breaking art out of their shared terrible experiences with poverty, racism and crime.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Knowing very little about the rap/hip hop scene other than cultural osmosis, it seems like you're considered a little behind on your cred if you HAVEN'T been in prison at some point, or at least gotten shot, addicted to drugs or having dealt them.I mean, the whole thing kinda is built on making confrontational and boundary-breaking art out of their shared terrible experiences with poverty, racism and crime.

In his case I feel like most people tend to focus on his other run-in with the law, where he happened upon two cops brutalizing a black guy and shot them

That is definitely consistent with the "noble outlaw" image he projected, whereas getting popped for sexual assault is not. But I don't know much about the case in question; however, I tend to go with "Believe the victim" generally, so it's not a good look for him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/catherine-breillat-asia-argento-harvey-weinstein-jessica-chastain-me-too-1201945040/

Breillat has always been a favorite of mine, but there's a reason that chauvinist is a French loanword:

quote:

Then there’s France’s equivalent of #MeToo. “I’m absolutely against #BalanceTonPorc [“denounce your pig”],” she says of the movement. “It’s too easy to accuse people via hashtags anonymously; we have a justice system. And France, too, has a history with ‘balance ton juif,’ ‘denounce your jew.’ We know the hashtag #BalanceTonPorc was invented out of vengeance. This isn’t to diminish women; there are real rapes and real violence. In French, the word violence contains viol: rape. That’s why the reception of my films was frequently so devastating.”

“Women mustn’t be afraid to speak out, but still, you can’t resort to #MeToo about verbal violence. Of course, if you’re 14, verbal violence can be the same as actual physical aggression, but when you’re 25 or 30 and you go to a man’s hotel room, you know the game,” she continues. “Women shouldn’t present themselves as bimbos or innocent young things regardless of their age. Rather, we have to educate young girls so that they’re better equipped to defend themselves and so they don’t feel soiled just because someone said something to them. That’s not sufficient. They have to know how to respond.”

Asia Argento, of course, is similarly not couth:

https://twitter.com/AsiaArgento/status/979763980246900737
https://twitter.com/AsiaArgento/status/979735657244393472

And has a pretty detailed thread on what a sadistic lunatic Breillat was on set.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Said thread: https://twitter.com/AsiaArgento/status/979607868671393792

I haven't regularly maintained my "to-watch" backlog of movies in a while but The Last Mistress is on there...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's a really good film, not one of her best.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress, that thread. Asia Argento is absolutely her father's daughter. :stare:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What she describes is maniacal.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
I am utterly shocked that the director/writer of Anatomy of Hell is hosed in the head and misogynist.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inescapable Duck posted:

That's kind of a bothersome sweeping generalization, I think. Does it happen? Yeah. But Common and Kendrick Lamar didn't need a gunshot wound and there's a little bit of Conservative "all hip hop is gangsta rap" in the idea. Its a thing in certain avenues of hip hop but its not the genre/community as a whole and mainstream being simplified to that has always been problematic. Although certainly there are rappers who go beyond "representing their true lives" and into "sensationalizing and pursuing it for cred."

But yes, 2Pac was a drug dealer and had gunshot wounds and had done prison time for sexual assault. He was also a poet who made an impression with Maya Angelou and the son of a Black Panther. He rapped about respecting women and slapping bitches. Tupac was all over the place and dead at 25 and I think that's what makes him so interesting as a character study because he seems like he died before he became the man he would have been and we don't really know which way he was gonna go.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/catherine-breillat-asia-argento-harvey-weinstein-jessica-chastain-me-too-1201945040/

Breillat has always been a favorite of mine, but there's a reason that chauvinist is a French loanword:

Asia Argento, of course, is similarly not couth:

https://twitter.com/AsiaArgento/status/979763980246900737
https://twitter.com/AsiaArgento/status/979735657244393472

And has a pretty detailed thread on what a sadistic lunatic Breillat was on set.

Was Breillat one of the ones who signed that anti-MeToo manifesto a couple of months back?

I mean, Jesus loving Christ this woman is a horrible rear end in a top hat.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Remember that Breillart filmed a scene where an overweight teenage girl is raped by the man who just killed her sister and mother, and refuses to accuse him of rape, and that's the note she elects to end the film on.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Holy gently caress, that thread. Asia Argento is absolutely her father's daughter. :stare:
What do you mean? Her perseverance or something else?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I'm honestly surprised that nothing has come out against Asia Argentos father. Like there's been rumors of him being kind of a poo poo head to women on set. Also he's directed several films where his daughter was either sexually assaulted in the film or his ex wife was as well.

Also he tried to like murder Jennifer Connelly

That's not hyperbole either he legit put her as a child actress in incredibly dangerous situations and she got part of her finger bitten off by a monkey on his set.

Like Italian directors of horror and exploitation were really scummy people and its surprising nothing has been coming out about that.

Like get women out in the middle of a jungle then inform them they gotta be nude for a scene and if they refuse just say well we won't give you a ride out of the jungle if you don't ( this happened to a actress in cannibal Holocaust)

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 3, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'd be sorta disappointed if it turned out a 70's giallo director wasn't some kind of huge creep

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

I'm honestly surprised that nothing has come out against Asia Argentos father. Like there's been rumors of him being kind of a poo poo head to women on set. Also he's directed several films where his daughter was either sexually assaulted in the film or his ex wife was as well.

To this day I'm amazed that not only is there apparently nothing on Dario but that he's actually voiced support of his daughter and the cultural moment in general. Although I wonder if that's because the Italian press is going insane attacking her.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Even if that was true, being arrested and convicted for sexual assault is not good for your street cred. Which is why it tends to be downplayed when people talks about how complex and conflicted his life was (the biopic for example straight out accused the victim).

STAC Goat posted:

Tupac was all over the place and dead at 25 and I think that's what makes him so interesting as a character study because he seems like he died before he became the man he would have been and we don't really know which way he was gonna go.

It's impossible to say how he would have felt about it if he had gotten older, but when he was alive he was pretty unrepentant about it:

2Pac posted:

Who you callin' rapist?
Ain't that a bitch
You devils are so two faced
Wanna see me locked in chains, dropped in shame
And gettin' stalked by these crooked cops again

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I said, I'm in no way defending the guy or calling him a good person. Its pretty clear Tupac made really terrible life choices, many that hurt others.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Honest Thief posted:

What do you mean? Her perseverance or something else?

Presumably her illustrations from her hospital stay.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

To this day I'm amazed that not only is there apparently nothing on Dario but that he's actually voiced support of his daughter and the cultural moment in general. Although I wonder if that's because the Italian press is going insane attacking her.

Well most of the 70s exploitation Italian directors are just dead so that probably has more to do with it than anything else.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The most recent episode of the Friendly Fire podcast covered M.A.S.H, the movie.

If you haven’t watched the film, you really should. You can spend the whole time appalled at how deeply progressive it was considered to be.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The most recent episode of the https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/04/03/couple-alleged-murder-suicide-near-vicenza-idd-retired-gi-wife.html covered M.A.S.H, the movie.

If you haven’t watched the film, you really should. You can spend the whole time appalled at how deeply progressive it was considered to be.

Where they recruit a black surgeon they nickname "SpearChucker,", and commit multiple counts of sexual assault and harassment?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't Dave Chappelle come up some pages ago? Apparently with the implication that one of his routines is a thinly veiled reason he's more or less retired last I checked; that seems to be the only way to opt out of a system with a horrible culture of abuse and rape.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SimonCat posted:

Where they recruit a black surgeon they nickname "SpearChucker,", and commit multiple counts of sexual assault and harassment?

At women who outrank them, no less. Also where one of the main characters has an existential crisis of gay panic and tries to kill himself because he fails to get a boner one time. And the scene is a reference to DaVinci’s Last Supper.

It’s like a transitional fossil from the post-sexual revolution era where just having your lovely impulses out in the open was considered ‘liberated’ compared to the conservatism that preceded it but women still didn’t have any agency or desires of their own and needed to be told or shown that they “actually wanted it.”

Edit: also, wtf is up with your quote of me? I wrote the name of a podcast and it seems to have been turned into a URL about a murder-suicide. :psyduck:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 4, 2018

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Electric Bugaloo posted:

At women who outrank them, no less. Also where one of the main characters has an existential crisis of gay panic and tries to kill himself because he fails to get a boner one time. And the scene is a reference to DaVinci’s Last Supper.

It’s like a transitional fossil from the post-sexual revolution era where just having your lovely impulses out in the open was considered ‘liberated’ compared to the conservatism that preceded it but women still didn’t have any agency or desires of their own and needed to be told or shown that they “actually wanted it.”

Edit: also, wtf is up with your quote of me? I wrote the name of a podcast and it seems to have been turned into a URL about a murder-suicide. :psyduck:

Idk how that happened. I was reading that article in a different tab, maybe some kind've weird Chrome glitch?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Weird that an article about suicide would impose itself on a M*A*S*H* discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Weird that an article about suicide would impose itself on a M*A*S*H* discussion.

:smugdog: