Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I thought all these series revivals were more about actors just having kind of a victory lap and maybe exploring short topical story lines they couldn't do before. TV nowadays allows a lot more flexibility to do one-off seasons and then the actors go back to doing whatever the gently caress else they were doing. Kind of like how anthology series work.

I didn't realize they wanted to actually bring back these shows like....for SEASONS. Now Will & Grace is back for 3 seasons and Rosanne for 2? I'm not sure how I feel about this. Case in point Rosanne. It was a funny episode and it's great reliving these characters, but I could have sworn I saw a lot more 'actor looking over the shoulder of another actor to see his cue card' than I ever remember seeing during it's original run. I'm not sure these actors are really into this like the first time around and this has the potential to really overstay it's welcome.

Basically it's falling into the trap that most network TV does: when given a chance to break the norms of 22 episodes a year September through April, it chooses the inertia of lovely programming that has already been usurped twice over: once by cable channels that figured having a season from September to April was stupid and aired it whenever, and now by streaming services that give you every single episode up front so you can binge watch and not have to bother with commercials or weeks between shows. In a way, seeing these reboots with talk of more on the horizon is a bit comical because it shows that network TV simply doesn't want to learn. Others have taken the baton and ran with it and turned out a lot of great television that comes with a high regard for the medium. And Network TV doesn't simply care outside of running a full half hour of commercials in between bullshit like 'The Big Bang Theory' that simply doesn't work as anything but nonsensical filler.

But whatever. At this point I've been away from network TV for so long that I'm basically whining about an old system I haven't seen in over a decade. Now to yell at clouds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hulu has ordered a Hitman series to be made and they're working with one of the guys who wrote John Wick.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Huh, that figures. I was picturing more a series that doesn't descend into a standard action movie like the movies (and worse games) inevitably do but focuses on the contracts and targets, maybe even with 47 as more of a background character until he strikes.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Inescapable Duck posted:

Huh, that figures. I was picturing more a series that doesn't descend into a standard action movie like the movies (and worse games) inevitably do but focuses on the contracts and targets, maybe even with 47 as more of a background character until he strikes.

So like, we kinda infiltrate the lives of the people he kills alongside him then? I could see that kinda working, where much of the drama is happening around him instead of to him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, that's pretty much exactly how the games work. Infiltration, observation, manipulation. Could have a basic overarching plot similar to the episodic game currently, where seemingly unconnected hits are part of a larger scheme, and when 47 himself starts becoming a proper element in it, everyone including he knows something's gone horribly wrong. The game in question is also pretty good at having interesting narratives around the targets and the area the missions take place in.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Choco1980 posted:

So like, we kinda infiltrate the lives of the people he kills alongside him then? I could see that kinda working, where much of the drama is happening around him instead of to him.

I don't know why but the first thing I thought when I read this was Monster, how there a lot of episodes where Johann isn't even seen, but you know he's lurking around, and when he finally appears it's always a "Ah, goddamnit :(" moment.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I tried watching Monster like 3 or 4 times and just can't do it. It seems like something I'd really enjoy, but it just doesn't click. Like me and Ethiopian food.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
It's a really slow burn, but once it gets going, man.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

It seems like something I'd really enjoy, but it just doesn't click. Like me and Ethiopian food.

Donate your tongue to science so they can figure out why people are born with bad taste

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Donate your tongue to science so they can figure out why people are born with bad taste

Look I'll get the whole derail over in one post:

[food] is delicious

[food] is terrible and gross

[food] is just ok

People who don't like [food] are literally children!

:siren: turns out people like different things

Shut the hell up about [food]

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

The Bloop posted:

[food] is delicious

[food] is just ok

:golfclap:

If you find a replace “food” with “thing” (and make the adjectives more general) don’t you have ALL derails covered?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

burial posted:

:golfclap:

If you find a replace “food” with “thing” (and make the adjectives more general) don’t you have ALL derails covered?

It makes for a weird circumsion derail

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Bloop posted:

[food] is delicious

[food] is just ok

:mad: No, you like different things!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Len posted:

You don't know how many orthodox rabbis are posting here

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Garrand posted:

You don't know how many orthodox rabbis are posting here

Those headhunters.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
L'Chaim!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

My tongue is literally broken since my surgery, you monster :smith:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Well, that's pretty much exactly how the games work. Infiltration, observation, manipulation. Could have a basic overarching plot similar to the episodic game currently, where seemingly unconnected hits are part of a larger scheme, and when 47 himself starts becoming a proper element in it, everyone including he knows something's gone horribly wrong. The game in question is also pretty good at having interesting narratives around the targets and the area the missions take place in.

Have a series where each episode revolves around different 47 "victims" where 47 only shows up disguised as background staff/mooks, never interacts with the main characters of the week, and sets up each of the murders as accidental deaths. Have the appeal of the show being trying to guess how he'll kill the "victims" this week based on what he's doing in the backdrop. One week he's in the background working as a serving staff at a crime lord's restaurant/front, where the crime lord suffers a sever allergic reaction from cross-contaminated food. The next week he's in the background as a construction worker on a property undergoing renovations, and a steel cable holding a heavy load gives way just as the person is passing under it. Basically, a reverse CSI is what I would want to see from a Hitman series, possibly with a larger overall arc-story tying them all together.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Randalor posted:

Have a series where each episode revolves around different 47 "victims" where 47 only shows up disguised as background staff/mooks, never interacts with the main characters of the week, and sets up each of the murders as accidental deaths. Have the appeal of the show being trying to guess how he'll kill the "victims" this week based on what he's doing in the backdrop. One week he's in the background working as a serving staff at a crime lord's restaurant/front, where the crime lord suffers a sever allergic reaction from cross-contaminated food. The next week he's in the background as a construction worker on a property undergoing renovations, and a steel cable holding a heavy load gives way just as the person is passing under it. Basically, a reverse CSI is what I would want to see from a Hitman series, possibly with a larger overall arc-story tying them all together.

So a procedural series with no recurring characters? Where every week the main character of the episode is a lovely person and then they drop dead out of nowhere? With the titular character literally as a background extra in nominally their own show? Is it possible to nominate something as not having aged well when it's still just someone's idle daydream, or is that considered too soon?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But enough about twilight zone

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SiKboy posted:

So a procedural series with no recurring characters? Where every week the main character of the episode is a lovely person and then they drop dead out of nowhere? With the titular character literally as a background extra in nominally their own show? Is it possible to nominate something as not having aged well when it's still just someone's idle daydream, or is that considered too soon?

i mean you basically just described Strike Back but with Scott and Stonebridge smushed together into one dude and less focus on that dude

and Strike Back loving rules

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

lmao

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
But most people who actively dislike circumcision ARE literal children.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Randalor posted:

You set up a double mystery, not just how he’ll kill the victim of the week, but who the target even is.

And season finale? It’s a trap: The would-be victims placed the hit to lure him out.

Then, I dunno, it’s just PoI for the rest of the series or something idgaf

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Have the target of every single episode die in an accident and 47 get the credit for the kill because no one knows if he really did it or if it was just an unfortunate coincidence.

47 also never speaks.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I think Agent 47 should be like the Equalizer. Poor saps come in with problems with powerful people, and then he walks up and shoots them in the face. Nothing is done because :911:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
My idea for the Agent 47 show: David Bateson wears a suit and just scowls at the camera for a half an hour.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My idea for the Agent 47 show: David Bateson wears a suit and just scowls at the camera for a half an hour.

As long as that suit is a clown suit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
By night, he’s the world’s greatest assassin.
By day, he’s the world’s greatest 9th grade student

But with all his skills, can he manage to find a date to the prom?

This fall, the CW proudly presents: Student 47

*logo appears on screen. Tiny skill falls down landing between the numbers making it 4.7, his gpa*

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

fruit on the bottom posted:

This fall, the CW proudly presents: Student 47

No joke, I'd watch the hell out of this. I'm staunchly in favor of CW-izing as many properties as possible.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

FELD1 posted:

No joke, I'd watch the hell out of this. I'm staunchly in favor of CW-izing as many properties as possible.

Example plot - on the eve of the Prom, Student 47's chief rival for the Head Cheerleader's affections, the Quarterback of the Long Island High Assassins, is mysteriously injured forcing him to skip the dance due to a hospital visit. However, there was a witness to 47 setting up the accident. Can 47 get the Running Back out of the picture before he can blow the whistle? Tune in tonight on Student 47

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And back in the day 'X, but in high school drama' was a cartoon thing. We did get Batman Beyond out of it. Maybe we can get away with that again.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hell, we almost had the whole Batman universe as a high school drama. http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Gotham_High

As for Hitman, I'd like to see a middle-aged version in a sitcom. Agent 47 has a dilemma this week when the man he's sent to kill is the man who's getting him a great deal on his midlife crisis sports car! Plus the hot new receptionist catches him adjusting his toupee. What will he do? Find out in this week's episode of AGEnt 47.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Honestly if he were to have a midlife crisis I'd assume it would be to retrain as a midwife - he has taken enough lives, it's time to bring some new ones in to the world.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing the latest game already implies that despite being around 50 he has the body of a 20 year old, clone and all.

Also, he has an uncannily strong resemblance to a famous retiring supermodel.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sunswipe posted:

Hell, we almost had the whole Batman universe as a high school drama. http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Gotham_High

As for Hitman, I'd like to see a middle-aged version in a sitcom. Agent 47 has a dilemma this week when the man he's sent to kill is the man who's getting him a great deal on his midlife crisis sports car! Plus the hot new receptionist catches him adjusting his toupee. What will he do? Find out in this week's episode of AGEnt 47.

This makes sense since the 47 literally stands for 1947. The year he was created. Making him 71 years old.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

FreudianSlippers posted:

This makes sense since the 47 literally stands for 1947. The year he was created. Making him 71 years old.

Really? I just figured it was a nod to the AK-47, being a little in-joke about an assassin.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've just been informed there's an episode of Mr.Belvedere where a kid has AIDS and actually says "Well I have AIDS, but other than that, I'm pretty good!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SE1SWashuU

Fuckin' incredible. There's also a REALLY off-color racial joke in episode that I shan't spoil. I just found this series, seems good.

Is it not aging well if it's dealing with an issue that's gotten better since? In the 80s, before blood donations were screened for HIV, kids getting infected with the virus was a serious issue. Because the virus was so poorly understood the kids often ended up being treated like lepers, so a lot of family sitcoms back then had special episodes about treating these kids like human beings and not pariahs.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

FreudianSlippers posted:

Except it doesn’t, and he isn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Leavemywife posted:

Really? I just figured it was a nod to the AK-47, being a little in-joke about an assassin.

In universe the 47 stands for the fact the he's the 47th clone. Also I guess not technically a clone since he's made up of the DNA of 5 different people and isn't actually genetically identical to any of them but I don't know how you'd define that.