Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ravenfood posted:

So many things about PoE2 want me to make a completely new character to run through the game, but I also want to import my old Watcher and keep going.
There is no practical difference to character creation whether you import a save game or use a pre-generated set of endgame states. I.e., you're effectively creating your character from scratch even if you import.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If the DLCs raise the level cap like in the first game/New Vegas, hopefully they'll include some really desirable new top-level abilities, since multiclass characters will then be able to access the current ones

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

rope kid posted:

There is no practical difference to character creation whether you import a save game or use a pre-generated set of endgame states. I.e., you're effectively creating your character from scratch even if you import.

Are you referring to the fact that you start at level 1 in Deadfire or is this true for the story as well? Are there any decisions in PoE1 that carry over which you can't pick when creating endgame states for a new character?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

you start at level 1 in Deadfire

On this note, how long am I lord of Caed Nua before PoE II?

If the answer is less than 1 year then I guess atrophy sets in real quick.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Accretionist posted:

On this note, how long am I lord of Caed Nua before PoE II?

If the answer is less than 1 year then I guess atrophy sets in real quick.

I think they said "about five years" but not 100% sure.

In the deadfire beta do summoned weapons give proficiency or not?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a 5 year gap between games I think

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
"I was Lord of Caed Nua for five years and I got was this hideous paunch"

Edit: In my evil run, I told the Erl to stuff it. He's going to be real happy when a 700 foot colossus wrecks my poo poo.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Haven't touched PoE since my single playthrough on release. Figured I'd go through it and the DLC before PoE2, since I've forgotten a lot about this game.

Anyone have any suggestions for fun party comps? I am 100% down with running something gimmicky if it's viable and entertaining. And how's PotD? Not sure if I want to go with that or Hard. Some games are better on max difficulty and some are just super irritating.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Vargs posted:

Haven't touched PoE since my single playthrough on release. Figured I'd go through it and the DLC before PoE2, since I've forgotten a lot about this game.

Anyone have any suggestions for fun party comps? I am 100% down with running something gimmicky if it's viable and entertaining. And how's PotD? Not sure if I want to go with that or Hard. Some games are better on max difficulty and some are just super irritating.

I had a lot of fun playing as a Priest of Skaen - they're kind of like a proto-multiclass priest/rogue if you want them to be. Plus it gives you a built-in excuse to be a dirtbag (cruel/deceptive favored dispositions) to everyone you meet :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh poo poo that reminds me I need to get the cosmic dog thing

I went and looked at PC Gamer in Barnes & Noble and I saw no cosmic dog code at all

Only "new" info I saw was a very small screenie of a large Junk ship with four cannon slots.

If there's some other way to get cosmic dog / cosmic birb I'd like to know what it is =(

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 2, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Vargs posted:

Priest of Skaen and Bleakwalker Entourage is my next planned run.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rope kid posted:

Yeah, its more that I'd feel weird not being a similar class/race/weapon specialization in general if I'm importing, and with the new weapon systems I'm not totally sure I want to actually be playing that combination first, if that makes sense.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Are you referring to the fact that you start at level 1 in Deadfire or is this true for the story as well? Are there any decisions in PoE1 that carry over which you can't pick when creating endgame states for a new character?

I think this was answered a while back as a few minor choices/decisions from PoE1 can't be selected in creation, but the vast majority can.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

rope kid posted:

I dig this because I like the idea of the Inquisitor being a driving force for my character, to the point where their personality changes going into 2.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There's a ton of cool rationales for changing your character in the next game- getting shot of the Inquisitor, finding out ~the terrible truth~ about the gods, living in Caed Nua for five years, etc. I'm going to have at least one of my characters become a Nalpazca because of being friends with Zahua

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Scorchy posted:

Well my skill level is "finished PoE1 PotD without a Priest, but not good enough to solo PotD". The PoE2 backer beta difficulty for me on Normal feels kinda like when you go into WM1 at level 6 or 7 on PotD, where everything's by the skin of your teeth. But it could be due to any number of factors, like gear, etc.

I see stuff like this and like, I'm no stranger to these type of games but I die on Normal. I'm still on my first playthrough in large part because I still quite often die and TAB out in frustration.

I honestly don't get how people do PotD let alone solo PotD that doesn't seem possible.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
So I think one of the Vine Lurkers in the Broodmother area got a little lost when I was kiting him and his buddies across the map.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I had Ryan Torres (the designer for that area) position the vine lurker so he could be pulled into the lagufaeth or vice-versa.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So when importing a save from PoE 1 can we still edit some of the choices or...?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

No editing choices with an imported save

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

rope kid posted:

I had Ryan Torres (the designer for that area) position the vine lurker so he could be pulled into the lagufaeth or vice-versa.
Oh, okay, that's cool.

But in this case he kinda pulled himself into them, and that stopped me from getting a peaceful solution to the quest.
Also, it meant the fight didn't end after I killed the other Lurkers, the Delemgan and the Vine. And while the Lagufaeth didn't fight back against the Lurker they turned hostile immediately when I entered the plateau (I'm assuming when a party member passed the trigger for the Broodmother's dialogue).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
How do most people end up resolving the koiku fruit quest in the beta? I keep finding myself postponing a solution because it's too well balanced and there's no "easy" moral answer.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kill them all. Let the gods sort them out.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How do most people end up resolving the koiku fruit quest in the beta? I keep finding myself postponing a solution because it's too well balanced and there's no "easy" moral answer.
The only way of actually resolving it (quest ends, party gets XP) that I've found involves returning the fruit, and by then you might as well make sure the (in this instance) innocent guy doesn't get killed.

I wish I could get the dude watching over the Lagufaeth hatchlings to confess that he didn't see anything, take that information to the guard, and afterwards wash my hands of this whole situation and let the actual thief do his thing. But that won't resolve the quest.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

I honestly don't get how people do PotD let alone solo PotD that doesn't seem possible.

I usually do: Full tank Eder, full tank Pallegina, 1 tanky melee DPS(Monk/Barbarian/DPS Fighter), Two casters(priest/wizard/druid), ranged DPS with a focus on crazy high accuracy(rogue/ranger).

Then I just abuse chokepoints for most fights. Jam all the enemies up in a doorway/hallway/bridge and then ranged/AOE over the top of my shieldwall. The Wizard spell Chill Fog is super good for this, because it's a first level spell that's a long duration damaging blind. It's a slow and grindy strategy, but it's super effective and it'll grind down drat near everything other than dragons, Concelhaut, and the final boss.

Once I get up in levels and have better gear, I'll usually respec Eder into a dual wield DPS fighter. Early on I need the full tank build to make up for my lack of skills/levels/gear, but later on Eder is super tanky even as a dual wield DPS spec fighter.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

I see stuff like this and like, I'm no stranger to these type of games but I die on Normal. I'm still on my first playthrough in large part because I still quite often die and TAB out in frustration.

Potd is pretty manageable (easy even) once you get some levels under your belt. It depends on your party too though. Like if you're running a party with a Priest/Druid/Chanter/Wizard and whatever else you're gonna melt encounters. The Priest buffs everyone so they can hit things, the Druid stuns everyone with storms, the Chanter melts everyone with Dragon Thrashed, and the Wizard CCs and damages with slicken, ninagauth's shadow flame, etc.

If you're doing a more melee centric party Potd can be a bit tougher but casters just break it over their knees if you know what you're doing.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The new beta is really good! Technical performance held up throughout the content - the higher framerate and improved sound effects from PoE1 lend a lot of polish. I like other little touches, too, like the movement sounds of nearby out of sight enemies and the verbal cues even when non-stealthed. The extra skill points and passives for pure classes seem interesting. Not quite sure if it'll pay off in comparison to combinations like Barb/Fighter or Barb/Rogue.

Either way, the system of choice & consequences is rad and I can't wait to reaver the gently caress out of passing-by ships.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I think I’ll have to replay the first game, since I’ve forgotten 50% of what happened. Anyhow, not sure about the class I want to play. I played a cipher last time, since their abilities seemed cool and it fit the story perfectly.

Are ciphers still good in Deadfire?

What’s the most fun/interesting/overpowered/whatever class that I should play instead?

(Going to import the new character to the sequel, so I want something that’s fun to play in both.)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Smol posted:

I think I’ll have to replay the first game, since I’ve forgotten 50% of what happened. Anyhow, not sure about the class I want to play. I played a cipher last time, since their abilities seemed cool and it fit the story perfectly.

What’s the most fun/interesting/overpowered/whatever class that I should play instead?

(Going to import the new character to the sequel, so I want something that’s fun to play in both.)

Ciphers are still good. Any spellcaster is good if you want to be overpowered. Chanters are also good if you wanna be overpowered.

e: That's for poe1. I haven't played the beta yet so I dunno what class features prominently there.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO, a lot of what makes PotD so hard at the start is the starting companions.
  • Eder, who most people will build as a tank
  • Aloth, a Vancian style caster
  • Durance, another Vancian style caster
  • Kana, a chanter.

Nobody on that list is really that good at just weaponing things to death, especially with the boosted stats of PotD. If you've started off as something else that's not that good at killing things with normal attacks you can have an extremely hard time of it. Your casters don't have deep spell reservoirs yet(and on top of that new players won't know what spells are great and what spells are garbage), tank Eder's fairly poo poo at killing things early on, and unless you picked Kana's Phantom summon,he's got nothing particularly powerful going on either. Unless you created an InnPC you won't get your first real DPS class until after Maerwald.

I scrapped my first character because of this. Wizard/Wizard/Priest/Fighter was not a particularly enjoyable party to start with. IMO, switching the locations of Sagani and Durance would have gone a long way towards making the start of the game feel better. That or just moving her to somewhere accessible in Act I. An accurate DPS makes the first act of the game go so much more smoothly.

My suggestion for the easiest startout in PoE is to either be a ranger or recruit an Inn ranger in Gilded Vale(high might/dex/per, gently caress everything else). They do amazing damage, they bulk out the party with an additional body via their pet, and their ability to reliably hit the enemy makes things so much easier. I feel like a lot of the trouble people have in Act I is caused by the fact that Aloth/Durance/Kana/ShieldEder can't reliably hit poo poo yet so your fights drag on and you lose the attrition battle.

Smol posted:

You get to completely rebuild in PoE2, so you can change the character class if you want, even on an imported save.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Having an MC with high Per and specializing everyone early on with +Acc talents, along with debuffing enemies to reduce their relevant defenses, does go a long way if you feel like you're missing or grazing too much at the start of the game. It's only a problem for the first 5 levels or so, after that you get gear and more abilities/spells to even things out.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

If you're doing a more melee centric party Potd can be a bit tougher but casters just break it over their knees if you know what you're doing.

I can't speak for PotD, but I went with 4.5 melee characters for a while on normal. It was atrocious until everyone got their mobility moves, which they only get at end game levels. But, after that every combat was this hilariously quick and had a good feel to it that casters can't provide.

Two barbarians just air dropping into a group of enemeis and spinning to win while Devil teleports and instagibs a wizard and Zahua kicks four people at once. Then Eder shoulder charges through the enemies leaving a wave of exploding bodies.

Smol posted:

For PoE1 I can recommend Paladins since they get a fair amount of reaction out of characters. I like how some characters have essentially told my shieldbearer to gently caress off with my attempts at diplomacy.
I would also recommend Druid for a nice combination of encounter/per rest abilities.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Smol posted:

Ciphers are good now in Deadfire Beta. I'm quite comfortably setting into a Blunderbuss Ascendant in the new beta.it's just different enough to take some adjustment but it's quite effective.

Has anyone tried a shield tank fighter/rogue with riposte in Deadfire? Trip reports?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Was a little low on funds, so I decided the correct way to handle Raedric's castle was through the front door. Worked all right so far, even upgraded my armour.

EDIT: Raedric's Keep funded the soulbound hat and belt, and because I'm an idiot who doesn't check who can bind an item, the arbalest that guy sells as well.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 2, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Vitamin P posted:

I'm really curious to see how solo PotD will be in Deadfire. I expect to get my face kicked in a lot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hahaha christ they sure listened to the people who said the Engwithan Titan was too easy

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm really curious to see how solo PotD will be in Deadfire. I expect to get my face kicked in a lot.
Our lead designer, Bobby Null, has played through the game twice. The second time was on Veteran with a solo assassin/wizard. He had a ton of fun but said there were certain fights he had to avoid because there were just too many tough enemies to deal with.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Do we know if the named companions will be able to pick subclasses or are they all standard class setups? I.e., no Paladin/Beckoner Pallegina?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Companions and sidekicks have whatever subclasses they come with. Usually they are "pure" versions of the class, but there are exceptions. Xoti has unique subclasses for her priest (Harvester of Gaun) and monk (Sister of the Reaping Moon) classes. Tekēhu has unique subclasses for his druid (Watershaper) and chanter (Storm Speaker) classes. Fassina is a conjurer instead of a base wizard. And of course Pallegina is a member of the Brotherhood of the Five Suns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

rope kid posted:

Companions and sidekicks have whatever subclasses they come with. Usually they are "pure" versions of the class, but there are exceptions. Xoti has unique subclasses for her priest (Harvester of Gaun) and monk (Sister of the Reaping Moon) classes. Tekēhu has unique subclasses for his druid (Watershaper) and chanter (Storm Speaker) classes. Fassina is a conjurer instead of a base wizard. And of course Pallegina is a member of the Brotherhood of the Five Suns.

Ok, thanks -- for some reason I think we may have asked you that before, but thanks for answering again.

Probably just as well. For some reason I feel like all beckoners should be dwarves.

• Locked thread