Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Arglebargle III posted:

Someone do ants climbing a tree! It's Sichuanese.

I'd just make ants on a log, but just stick it up sideways in a pot of hot chilli oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'd just make ants on a log, but just stick it up sideways in a pot of hot chilli oil.

That's Sichuan hotpot, pretty much.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Instead of celery, use broccoli or bamboo. Drizzle with sezchuan sauce.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Stop talking about it if you know what it is!

Give the rest of us ignorant lunatics a chance to run wild with our imaginations, please.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Honestly the way they're describing it I'm more confused than ever as to what that is.

Also whoops I forgot this thread because work exploded. Fish Cock dinner is still planned though. I also forgot about the damnedable bull penises thawing in the bottom of my refrigerator. Now I have to wash out my stupid fridge with bleach and ask the mean butcher for more pizzle.

By the way, yes there is a copper fish mold involved but not in the way you think.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

fizzymercy posted:

I also forgot about the damnedable bull penises thawing in the bottom of my refrigerator.

New thread name

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

fizzymercy posted:

bull penis
Go back in the woods in low country Carolinas and that's about how "boiled peanuts" is pronounced.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CannonFodder posted:

Go back in the woods in low country Carolinas and that's about how "boiled peanuts" is pronounced.

I pronounce it "loving disgusting slimy mess". God damned miasma of rotten boiled garlic wafting through the whole drat flea market, people spitting shells in the floor and my idiot dog eating them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suspect Bucket posted:

I pronounce it "loving disgusting slimy mess". God damned miasma of rotten boiled garlic wafting through the whole drat flea market, people spitting shells in the floor and my idiot dog eating them.

Boiled peanuts own, actually.

hth

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Booled peanits, as we call 'em here, do indeed own and mine have never been particularly slimy. They seem to be a very divisive food though. Also lots of people have never heard of them, which is just a drat shame.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you eat the shells though? I had them once visiting my ex-bf down in Georgia, and he didn't have an answer.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
You can eat them pretty much any drat way, including shells on. I tend to pop them in my mouth in the shell and then spit out the shells. Especially when I'm outside at like the fair or something. I'm not exactly the delicate type, though.

Eating the shells and all seems like a good way to gently caress up your crack, if you catch me. So much fiber :( Most every grumpy old man I know eat them whole, though. They're ultimate Dad food.

E: I am everything Suspect Bucket hates. Sorry guy.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 30, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Boiled peanuts are great. I never eat the shells and the instant pot makes quick work of them in about an hour. I used to make half cajun and half regular but the cajun are so popular I only make that now.

Also, they're not "slimy". It's literally a salty brine. I mean maybe you're referring to the skin? It's fine.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
They're slimy when y'all spit them on the floor! My grandma's cane slipped on a shell and she nearly broke another hip. I HATE BOILED PEANUTS.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Oh okay, yeah no that is gross and they are slippery and nasty. I spit my shells into a styrofoam cup like a damned lady. Classy!

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Tiggum posted:

I just realised that I forgot to give my impressions of the food!

The whisky soaked straight into the cake and made it soggy and taste of whisky. The rocky road mix had a bit too much coconut - is rocky road even supposed to have coconut in it? - and the mini marshmallows aren't really of any value whatsoever, but the chocolate and nuts were chocolate and nuts.The berries were also fine.

So meif you enjoy soggy cake and cheap whisky (and who doesn't?) then you're onto a winner.

This reminds me of my mothers brilliant Christmas recipe.
Instead of loving around making proper brandy custard, just leave the shitry pudding out for a day and then serve in a bowl, soak it in too much loving brandy and maybe add some custard! Walla!

The saddest part is that she's an amazing cook and I don't understand why she does this.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

The saddest part is that she's an amazing cook and I don't understand why she does this.

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

too much loving brandy

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PT6A posted:

Awesome, I can't wait to see what you came up with.

I was thinking of other possible dishes for people to make, too. Does anyone want to attempt Bone Hole?

So, here in Canada, everyone knows about Timbits -- balls of fried donut dough. When I was growing up, though, they were known by the generic name of Donut Holes.

It follows, then, that Bone Holes are whatever you take out of the bone to result in a hole through it -- the marrow.

I don't have any proper marrow bones, but I do have a bag of stewing beef bones in the freezer.

Fish out all the bones that look like they contain marrow:

Add some salt and pepper, bake at 450F for 15 minutes until cooked through and bubbly:

Extract the marrow. This...doesn't really look that appetizing.

Spread it on bread and try to enjoy.

Verdict: would not recommend. I've had marrow bones before and they were delicious, but these...were not, and were extremely fatty. I'm not sure if this is because beef bones don't make good marrow, or because they were bones from the wrong part of the cow, or if I did something wrong in preparing them, or what. But both plain and as a condiment, I would not call this a success.

My wife would like to contribute some recipes to the thread:

Fish and Brewis (pronounced "fish'n'brews"), commonly served with scrunchions.
Figgy Duff, a traditional part of Jiggs Dinner.
And Flapper Pie, not to be confused with Flipper Pie -- the two are very different.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ToxicFrog posted:

So, here in Canada, everyone knows about Timbits -- balls of fried donut dough. When I was growing up, though, they were known by the generic name of Donut Holes.

It follows, then, that Bone Holes are whatever you take out of the bone to result in a hole through it -- the marrow.

I don't have any proper marrow bones, but I do have a bag of stewing beef bones in the freezer.

Add some salt and pepper, bake at 450F for 15 minutes until cooked through and bubbly:

Verdict: would not recommend. I've had marrow bones before and they were delicious, but these...were not, and were extremely fatty. I'm not sure if this is because beef bones don't make good marrow, or because they were bones from the wrong part of the cow, or if I did something wrong in preparing them, or what. But both plain and as a condiment, I would not call this a success.

My wife would like to contribute some recipes to the thread:

Fish and Brewis (pronounced "fish'n'brews"), commonly served with scrunchions.
Figgy Duff, a traditional part of Jiggs Dinner.
And Flapper Pie, not to be confused with Flipper Pie -- the two are very different.

Yay! Thread lives! Roast marrow bones can be a bastard. Part of me wants to do figgy duff and Redwall it up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Part of me wants to do figgy duff
Do it!

I've been really busy lately but in a week or two I'll probably have time to cook something dumb again, so I'm really glad this thread hasn't fallen into the archives.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

A+ thread necromancy, would gag again at fake bone hole description

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ToxicFrog posted:

Thanks for playing! "Bone hole" is the literal translation from Italian of ossobuco, which traditionally uses veal shank, and you can absolutely eat the marrow out of the bones once cooked, so you weren't too far off, but the traditional version looks much tastier :v:

I may end up trying one of your contributions when I have time, those sounds fun to try and I don't recognize any of them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
250 for 3 hours would've given you something actually good. also a lot more salt than you would expect

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I couldn't actually find the post where this was suggested but it's in the big list at the start, so here goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwyDkmH97RE

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Bravo! Well done!

And now for the actual dish: It's a dessert.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think I entered that. Nicely done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think I entered that. Nicely done!

Ah, so you did. It turns out I wasn't missing out on any context or hints though since you only gave the translated name.

• Locked thread