Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CordlessPen posted:

Poe's law makes it really hard to draw the line between parts that I think are satirical and parts that are just standard video game tone-deafness, but the main argument that I usually use when I try to defend Watch_dogs is that there's a side activity called "Privacy invasion", in which you literally spy on innocent civilians having sex, killing themselves, being murdered or sharing news about a cancer disagnosis. Also that the main (only?) way to earn money is to steal it from innocent people's bank accounts. The vocabulary of the game also suggests that you're an insane man on a rampage, with the "good" side the morality meter being called "Vigilante" (and the "evil" side is "Menace", I think).

Also, I'm not 100% confident on this one, but I the game begins with your niece being killed in a car crash because you're a criminal who wronged bad people and ends with your nephew and sister almost being killed (possibly in a car crash) because you're a criminal who wronged THE SAME bad people.

One of the collectibles is serial murder victims. Literally. Like, their bodies. One of the side activities is to kill (or loving mash into the pavement, but non lethally) people BEFORE they commit a crime because your phone told you that they would. Semi often, their crime seems like a smaller deal than preemptive murder.

I just want to note that Watch_Dogs 2 fixes all these complaints. It's possible to play the entire game nonlethally and unseen for a start, and rather than committing crimes you're generally doing "hacktivist" stuff like infiltrating Google and Facebook knockoffs to reveal the shady poo poo they're doing with customer data.

There's also zero morality-tracking, so you can do missions however you drat please without a shred of care of it affecting anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

limp_cheese posted:

I was typing up a post before I realized everything I was typing I learned by reading the wiki.

I'm not sure if I'm detecting hostility but this was very helpful regardless.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just want to note that Watch_Dogs 2 fixes all these complaints. It's possible to play the entire game nonlethally and unseen for a start, and rather than committing crimes you're generally doing "hacktivist" stuff like infiltrating Google and Facebook knockoffs to reveal the shady poo poo they're doing with customer data.

There's also zero morality-tracking, so you can do missions however you drat please without a shred of care of it affecting anything.

That lends itself to a bit of a disconnect too though; like, the game's tone is fairly lighthearted, and sets up the player character as a more or less nonviolent hack the planet type, and you're absolutely equipped with the tools to play that way, however, you're not really punished in any significant way for behaving like a domestic terrorist.

Like, early on, there's a mission where you have to steal a prop car from a movie studio for a social media stunt. And you can definitely use your hacks and gadgets and nonlethal equipment to do it without seriously hurting anybody, but you can also ram the gates and go hogwild on all the security guards (who afaik aren't established to be evil or corrupt in any way, they're just guarding a movie studio for a paycheck) with an AK-47 and the mission resolves with the same comic result either way.

I'm not complaining, not really, it's cool that the game lets you play it in the way that's fun for you without punishing you, I wouldn't want it to work differently, it's just funny is all.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I just got to the first town and there is a chest loaded with all sorts of special gear. Should I not use any of it if I don't want to break the early game?

It’s fine to use, it’s fairly strong but you find better stuff fairly fast iirc.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Justin Godscock posted:

I finally got around to firing up Prey (2017) the other day. Are there any tips I should know before I get further into this game? It seems like the game gets incredibly easier or incredibly harder depending on which skill tree you put Neuromods into and I wish to know which ones are better.

The wiki covers a lot (though I disagree with taking the extra organs mod, as I ended up with 5x as much alien material as anything else), but I would suggest something: don’t limit yourself to a Powers/Security-only run in your first go. There are great things in both trees, and being adaptable gives you options when you run out of bullets or magic points. Don’t miss out on cool stuff like Mimic Matter or the slow-down murder mode just for a trophy or cheevo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm not sure if I'm detecting hostility but this was very helpful regardless.

The wiki doesn't cover everything, of course. Here's my select knowledge:

1) The shotgun is powerful. The wiki doesn't really convey its usefulness, but it does big damage at range, and massive damage in close combat. Five shots point blank will kill even the strongest enemy in the game--two at range, will kill basically anything that isn't heavily armored.

2) To use the Gloo Cannon in combat, you have to hit the enemy multiple times or they won't freeze up. This isn't really explained in game, aside from the vague notion that it's a gun, and you can shoot it at things.
2a) If you hold down the trigger, it will rapid fire. I had absolutely no clue about this until I was more than halfway through the game.

3) Combat Reflexes or whatever it's called is the best skill in the game. It gives you bullet time and the duration is quite long.

4) ~Directions on how to get the most out of your Recycler Grenades~
Recycler Grenades create an implosion, and "everything" that gets caught in its blast gets turned into raw materials you can synth bullets, medkits, etc with. However, everything in its blast radius is subject to physics and collisions as it's getting sucked in. Large objects near the center of the blast will completely block other things you're trying to recycle.

To get the most out of each grenade, you want to pick up all the tiny poo poo in a room and put it all in a stack. Rolodexes, paperweights, folders, mugs, this is the kind of poo poo that you want to recycle! :) You can toss all the small objects in an entire room in a corner and recycle them all in a single blast. You'll get a massive amount of raw materials from this, as long as you keep anything bigger than an office chair out of your recycle pile.
4a) Yes, it works on enemies! Sadly, you'll find that in practice, you get very mixed results, and you might get sucked in and die instantly... avoid using it in combat if you can.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

im cute posted:

The wiki covers a lot (though I disagree with taking the extra organs mod, as I ended up with 5x as much alien material as anything else), but I would suggest something: don’t limit yourself to a Powers/Security-only run in your first go. There are great things in both trees, and being adaptable gives you options when you run out of bullets or magic points. Don’t miss out on cool stuff like Mimic Matter or the slow-down murder mode just for a trophy or cheevo.

To add on to this: basically the only major downside to taking more than one psy skill is that turrets become hostile to you, which is actually barely a downside considering that the relatively few turrets in the game generally die to ambient enemies pretty quickly on their own without your intervention.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CordlessPen posted:

Poe's law makes it really hard to draw the line between parts that I think are satirical and parts that are just standard video game tone-deafness, but the main argument that I usually use when I try to defend Watch_dogs is that there's a side activity called "Privacy invasion", in which you literally spy on innocent civilians having sex, killing themselves, being murdered or sharing news about a cancer disagnosis. Also that the main (only?) way to earn money is to steal it from innocent people's bank accounts. The vocabulary of the game also suggests that you're an insane man on a rampage, with the "good" side the morality meter being called "Vigilante" (and the "evil" side is "Menace", I think).

Also, I'm not 100% confident on this one, but I the game begins with your niece being killed in a car crash because you're a criminal who wronged bad people and ends with your nephew and sister almost being killed (possibly in a car crash) because you're a criminal who wronged THE SAME bad people.

One of the collectibles is serial murder victims. Literally. Like, their bodies. One of the side activities is to kill (or loving mash into the pavement, but non lethally) people BEFORE they commit a crime because your phone told you that they would. Semi often, their crime seems like a smaller deal than preemptive murder.

I mean, you're not literally collecting murder victims. :v:

Otherwise agreed. A lot of that stuff made me increasingly uncomfortable in a way that I actually appreciated, regardless of intent. Similarly, literally every single person Aiden knows or cares about gets their life upended or worse and it really doesn't seem like an accident that in her very first appearance his sister outright says "stop escalating this poo poo and making everything worse you goddamn lunatic". Stuff like that and a handful of other scenes, especially the somewhat out of nowhere coda, show that somebody was intending something.

It gets a lot hazier when he goes from weirdo schlub staying in a lovely motel room with a corkboard full of stuff connected by string to hanging out in Literally The Batcave though...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pseudoscorpion posted:

To add on to this: basically the only major downside to taking more than one psy skill is that turrets become hostile to you, which is actually barely a downside considering that the relatively few turrets in the game generally die to ambient enemies pretty quickly on their own without your intervention.

pro tip if you take too many psi skills and turrets go hostile, hacked turrets under your control will still be 100% your allies

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, find and equip an injector that converts energy to health. I have no idea why they don't start you with one of these because it is so obviously the way you're supposed to keep yourself healthy.
I've actually beaten the whole thing without using it once. Not saying it isn't good, but definitely not necessary.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Any non-spoilery tips for the first Obscure game? I have it on Steam, because I got it and the second one for cheap in a sale.

It has Coop.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd like to note that for the longest time while playing W_D2 I thought the melee option was non-lethal, like you were just knocking people out. Nope, they're dead. Pretty great to realize that your "non-lethal" run has been mostly lethal about 10 hours in, whoops.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Brightman posted:

I'd like to note that for the longest time while playing W_D2 I thought the melee option was non-lethal, like you were just knocking people out. Nope, they're dead. Pretty great to realize that your "non-lethal" run has been mostly lethal about 10 hours in, whoops.

Are you talking about the yo-yo thing? How can you tell?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Are you talking about the yo-yo thing? How can you tell?

They can't be woken up by allies, I think, is the discerning feature of death vs non-lethal? I may be getting this confused with something else though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh!... Oh my... :stare:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Blunt force trauma to the head is generally not a good thing even if it ends up not being wholly lethal.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zaodai posted:

Blunt force trauma to the head is generally not a good thing even if it ends up not being wholly lethal.

I mean neither is indiscriminate use of tranquilizers, but ehhhhh video games.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Zaodai posted:

Still, it's a strange break from most games. Hand to hand is generally non lethal unless there is a knife involve.

Which is funny because then you get things like Metal Gear Solid where smashing someone face-first into the ground with your super power arm knocks them out for thirty seconds before they get back up again, unharmes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think in a lot of cases the distinction is actually whether you're unaarmed or not. So fisticuffs, even with ROBOT ARMS is non-lethal and then anything with a weapon ends up lethal. I can certainly see it being the kind of thing where it varies from person to person whether they assume that it would be lethal or not if the game doesn't go out of its way to tell you directly.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
iirc you can't knock out or incapacitate somebody with physical force on a time scale longer than seconds without seriously injuring them, so

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
It's going to be heartbreaking when a study comes out in 10 years about the long term effect from the rampant concussions caused by video protagonists. A class action law suit may be in order.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tollymain posted:

iirc you can't knock out or incapacitate somebody with physical force on a time scale longer than seconds without seriously injuring them, so

You can't knock people out period without risk of serious injury. Getting knocked out is really loving bad for your brain.

And you only have to look at that Russian hostage situation where they pumped in knock out gas and killed over 200 hostages because getting the right does of tranquilizer to knock someone out and not kill them is difficult.

video games obviously abstract this for the same reason your sword can mostly phase through armor or not get caught on muscle and bone when you hit someone. Because real life violence is horrific.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Tollymain posted:

Why do you think Arkham Asylum has a revolving door policy? They just don't have the space anymore.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Morpheus posted:

They can't be woken up by allies, I think, is the discerning feature of death vs non-lethal? I may be getting this confused with something else though.
Well. That makes so much sense, and yet I never once stopped to think of this. I thought it was a reward for opting to get up close rather than use the ranged non-lethal options... but there it is. Nope, turns out I am the Yo-Yo Murderer.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I believe it’s a monkey’s fist, which I guess is basically the modern day equivalent of a flail

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.
I didn't see it on the wiki, so anyone got any tips for Sir, you are being Hunted? I feel kind of lost with it.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Catellite posted:

I didn't see it on the wiki, so anyone got any tips for Sir, you are being Hunted? I feel kind of lost with it.

Combat is never a great option. You really should be running from almost everything.

This wiki clears up a lot of things about what items do.
http://siryouarebeinghuntedwiki.com/wiki/Home

I was really disappointed with that game. It had such a great premise and was fun while it lasted, but it's clearly unfinished and never will be completed. It is THE example of developers releasing a game into early access, adding nothing, then peeling away the early access label and proclaiming "it's done!" and walking away. For example the game has a crafting system with literally nothing to craft. There are a lot of useless items that were clearly intended to have a use someday. I hope you didn't pay full price for it. :(

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Catellite posted:

One thing that turned me around a lot is the map system. The maps are entirely disconnected from each other except by the transport boats, so you want to pick one area totally clean before going to the next because there is no reason not to.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

GuavaMoment posted:

Combat is never a great option. You really should be running from almost everything.

I was really disappointed with that game. It had such a great premise and was fun while it lasted, but it's clearly unfinished and never will be completed. It is THE example of developers releasing a game into early access, adding nothing, then peeling away the early access label and proclaiming "it's done!" and walking away. For example the game has a crafting system with literally nothing to craft. There are a lot of useless items that were clearly intended to have a use someday. I hope you didn't pay full price for it. :(
Thank you for this, this is a game I always meant to request something for and always forgot I had installed. Now I can be freed from its yoke! Only ~200 yokes to go.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well. That makes so much sense, and yet I never once stopped to think of this. I thought it was a reward for opting to get up close rather than use the ranged non-lethal options... but there it is. Nope, turns out I am the Yo-Yo Murderer.

Yep. I think there might be some other indicator that they're dead but I forget what it is.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I believe it's a monkey's fist, which I guess is basically the modern day equivalent of a flail

IIRC it's a billiard ball, probably an 8-ball, that's either done up like a monkey's fist or attached to a cord some other way.

At any rate I don't think it impacts anything in the game so that's good.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I´m about to start playing Wasteland 2: Directors Cut and while the section on the wiki has a few pointers I´d like to know if there are some must have weapons or utility skills when I create my squad and also if there are any trap choices.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dr. Quarex posted:

According to the game's director, that's exactly the intention. Nothing in the game really tracks lethal vs. non-lethal AFAIK either, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Honestly one of my biggest complaints about WD2 is that the stealth has a bunch of ideas, but none of them are all that polished or refined, so you get stuff like that.

And yeah, it's an 8-ball with a bungee cord tied through a drilled hole, IIRC.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Just finished Mad Max and I feel there are a few important things missing on the Wiki page.

- Gastown race is mandatory and sucks very much, so here's some tips. Focus on making your car fast and agile, forgoing armor and ramming power. Treat it as an interception rather than a race. Ignore other cars, use nitro liberally to get in thunderstick range while avoiding mines and fire, and destroy the boss as quickly as possible. That is, the boss should be dead before the first lap is even half through: if you're taking longer than 1-2 minutes, forget about it and restart. The paths in the race with a water spray-like effect heal your vehicle up to 2/3rd of health, but you shouldn't need it. Use handling and weapons insignias.

- Your car may drop an incredibly long distance without as much as a scratch, as long as it lands on wheels as it usually does. In fact, it's hard to destroy the car by dropping down a cliff even if you tried. Feel free to drive head first into any canyon if that's a shortcut.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pigdog posted:

Just finished Mad Max and I feel there are a few important things missing on the Wiki page.

- Gastown race is mandatory and sucks very much, so here's some tips. Focus on making your car fast and agile, forgoing armor and ramming power. Treat it as an interception rather than a race. Ignore other cars, use nitro liberally to get in thunderstick range while avoiding mines and fire, and destroy the boss as quickly as possible. That is, the boss should be dead before the first lap is even half through: if you're taking longer than 1-2 minutes, forget about it and restart. The paths in the race with a water spray-like effect heal your vehicle up to 2/3rd of health, but you shouldn't need it. Use handling and weapons insignias.

- Your car may drop an incredibly long distance without as much as a scratch, as long as it lands on wheels as it usually does. In fact, it's hard to destroy the car by dropping down a cliff even if you tried. Feel free to drive head first into any canyon if that's a shortcut.

What was the game breaking bug that never got fixed? Something about never being able to 100% something or the strongholds causing the game to become unbeatable. There was even specific instructions to not do some side quest because of the fact that the end result broke the main story mode.

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

GuavaMoment posted:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

One thing that turned me around a lot is the map system. The maps are entirely disconnected from each other except by the transport boats, so you want to pick one area totally clean before going to the next because there is no reason not to.

Thanks for these, I wasn't sure about whether I was supposed to be hopping between islands or not, or what the enormous amounts of trash items were for. Having the game map be a random bit of loot is a really obtuse design when it wouldn't tell you where you need to go anyway, it just makes searching more awkward.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brightman posted:

IIRC it's a billiard ball, probably an 8-ball, that's either done up like a monkey's fist or attached to a cord some other way.

At any rate I don't think it impacts anything in the game so that's good.

It's a cue ball with a hole drilled through it, hung on a rope :eng101:. And yeah, it's pretty much the Maker version of a battlemace.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

So, any advice for fatal frame 5 that’s not on the wiki or anything for Atelier Lydie and Suelle

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

numerrik posted:

So, any advice for fatal frame 5 that’s not on the wiki or anything for Atelier Lydie and Suelle

It might seem obvoius to others, but the different characters camera's in Fatal Frame 5 are actually different from each other.So dont neglect to actually upgrade them like i did!

The sad thing is the game was not really harder for my unintentional self imposed challengee, just more annoying :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

It's Batman rules, everyone is just sleeping.

For Sly Cooper Thieves in Time on the second level (time period?) there's a train and you can jump on from above you do NOT have to try to chase after it to jump on the end of it. You need to jump off the train to reach a platform where a bottle is.

Also apparently the bottles make noise when you are nearby which I wish I known several hours ago.

Why isn't Bentley's upper body jacked from rolling around in a wheelchair? I know he has robot arms built into it but he never uses them to roll himself around. Shouldn't he able to climb pipes and stuff on sheer upper body strength at this point?