Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Didn't Remington also have some huge issues with safety on the Remington 700? As in, long-covered up shoot-you-with-safety-on issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

Gun sales tend to go down hugely during Republican presidencies, since the gun propaganda lobby has a harder time pushing people into paranoid, hateful hysteria to hoard more guns and ammo in fear of the Other.

That's one aspect, and they'd have probably been able to hang on a bit longer if they could have held out until November, when the panic buying bedwetters begin stockpiling again, but though most news pieces will probably gloss over it in order to place blame elsewhere, in this case as many others the prime culprit is PE doing what PE does. Remington is owned by Cerberus, and somehow they managed to load Remington up with some additional $700M in debt during the Obama years when sales were strong. Slumps in sales didn't help, but capitalism is what's killing them.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

But they will continue to make guns while they restructure debt, they are going no where.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

ReidRansom posted:

That's one aspect, and they'd have probably been able to hang on a bit longer if they could have held out until November, when the panic buying bedwetters begin stockpiling again, but though most news pieces will probably gloss over it in order to place blame elsewhere, in this case as many others the prime culprit is PE doing what PE does. Remington is owned by Cerberus, and somehow they managed to load Remington up with some additional $700M in debt during the Obama years when sales were strong. Slumps in sales didn't help, but capitalism is what's killing them.
Just to spell out what I think ReidRansom is talking about here, though I unfortunately can't find out exactly what happened in this case with a quick google:
Sometimes private equity will get control of a company and loot it for fees and dividends (e.g. "dividend recapitalizations") by loading it with debt, restructure/cut any corner that costs the company money to make the company look good (or at least buy-able) on paper, and then try to sell the company or take them public. ReindeerF used to call it corpsefucking (Remington probably was in not-great shape when Cerberus got there). Cerberus didn't manage to weekend-at-bernie's Freedom Group (Remington and Bushmaster) and got stuck with it, in this case.

Robert Nardelli used to do something very analogous as CEO, so the Freedom Group corpse may have been getting it from both ends.

As an aside: when Cerberus got Bushmaster and Remington there was a pretty common conspiracy theory among the prepper folks that George Soros was behind it all to destroy them from the inside. (A lot of their paranoia unsurprisingly takes the form of perimeter defenses being compromised and bad folks getting inside.)

pangstrom has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Mar 26, 2018

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010
I'm not surprised that Remington is getting mega hosed. Not only is Cerberus loving them financially but their QC has been in the toilet as well. Yeah the 700 safety issue was pretty big but also their foray into the carry market has been... checkered at best. The r51 looked dope on paper but the QC problems meant they had to recall all of them and publicly apologize for it. Maybe in 20 years or so a new Remington might be worth buying but as of right now there are better, cheaper, and less likely to kill you options out there.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Free Market Mambo posted:

Didn't Remington also have some huge issues with safety on the Remington 700? As in, long-covered up shoot-you-with-safety-on issues.

This was balanced out by the fact that it couldn't shoot straight.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Fool and the World posted:

I'm not surprised that Remington is getting mega hosed. Not only is Cerberus loving them financially but their QC has been in the toilet as well. Yeah the 700 safety issue was pretty big but also their foray into the carry market has been... checkered at best. The r51 looked dope on paper but the QC problems meant they had to recall all of them and publicly apologize for it. Maybe in 20 years or so a new Remington might be worth buying but as of right now there are better, cheaper, and less likely to kill you options out there.

Also, the downside for the industry having a only small segment of the population buying guns and poo poo like crazy is that word of mouth spreads real fast, and across the board Remington ammunition is basically considered unusable garbage.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really need to buy a few Henry rifles, just in case :ohdear:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

How? Gun nuts own most of the firearms and that's like their thing: buying more guns.

This has been discussed in other threads, but the short of it is, Remington has had quality control issues for a looong time, and they are owned by Cerberus Capital Management, one of those lovely Bain-style entities that we know so well.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I still maintain election night, Clinton, Trump, and the NRA were all screaming NO NO NO over and over.

Me, I don't get why there isn't a ton more Pokemon poo poo out with the Go game out still.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

side_burned posted:

After the 80's did regulation tighten up again about having programing that marketed products directly to children? It doesn't seem like cartoons hocking toys to the 5-10 crowd is a thing anymore and certainly not to the extent that it was done in the Regan years.

Edit: I did bitch about how the toy line for the Netflix Voltron series came out in March and not in time for Christmas. :mad:

Nope. Things just changed. One of the issues with those toy-focused cartoons in the 80's is that they were terrible. Despite all the nostalgia people have for them (I'll confess to having some nostalgia for some of them so I'm not saying it's 100% wrong to have that nostalgia) when they grew up they got exposed to actually good cartoons. Cartoon Network started in 1992 and was playing actually good cartoons from the past. We're talking 1940's golden age stuff. Things like Ren and Stimpy also hit in 1991 and people remembered that cartoons can actually be good. The focus was on the show rather than the toy.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm guessing the rise of cable TV and networks like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Networks desperate for content gave cartoonists more creative freedom to do cartoons that aspired to be more than toy commercials.

This was another factor; there were people out there who liked the idea of making actual good cartoons that were for people older than babies. One of the weird things that happened before the 80's that also affected this was this idea that cartoons were for children. Stuff like the old Merrie Melodies weren't geared entirely to entertain children. Really a lot of it still holds up and is still hilarious. The 80's toy cartoons were marketed exclusively toward children to make them want the toys. Later cartoons were geared toward entertaining a target demographic; some were for children, some weren't. The money was made on the show rather than the toys. People also realized that animation can in fact be a very good storytelling medium when stuff like Samurai Jack happened.

Marketing to children directly still happens a lot it just isn't cartoon-related toys. I think a lot of the adverts are for sugary as gently caress breakfast cereals with happy cartoon mascots. The characters on cereal boxes are almost always looking down. You know, at where the children would be standing. Toy advertising also still happens but it's commercials during shows rather than the show itself being the actual advert.

Of course the people that had nostalgia for 80's cartoons are now adults that buy different toys. I'm going to guess that the demographic that buys the most Funco stuff is the same demographic that watched He-Man.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Mar 27, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I still maintain election night, Clinton, Trump, and the NRA were all screaming NO NO NO over and over.

Me, I don't get why there isn't a ton more Pokemon poo poo out with the Go game out still.

There is. Go look in a games store.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm pretty sure that I've complained about it before, but eBay's Global Shipping Program really annoys me. It looks like over the last few months they've made a huge push on sellers to use it and I'm pretty sure that I saw on an FAQ that buyers asking sellers to use an alternate mailing service is grounds for complaint and penalization.

The GSP is owned by Pitney Bowes and is basically a more expensive shipping method ($12 for USPS becomes $17 for GSP), plus they always charge import fees, even on stuff that shouldn't apply, and then tack on a service fee for that.

It isn't unusual to have ~$30 in shipping for items that could fit in an envelope, and sellers are often resistant to not using it because eBay sells it to them as risk free and easier (I think the carrier picks up the package at their door?).

Anyway, I think eBay probably isn't doing all that hot and this won't help. I was a regular eBay user, but looking at my purchase history you can see a definite decline over the last couple years.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I'm surprised anyone still uses eBay. I don't know anyone in person who still does.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Aren't you literally better off trying to sell/buy something on Craigslist than Ebay these days?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

anonumos posted:

I'm surprised anyone still uses eBay. I don't know anyone in person who still does.

I bought one thing through ebay about a year ago now, and it had been so long since the last time I bought something through ebay (I think about 4 years), that I had to register a new account.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

anonumos posted:

They are hands down, the single best place to find parts for older cars. If you search using the -bs tag for whatever you're looking for, it's perfection.

e: for example "1995 miata seats -bs" versus "1995 miata seats"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
what does -bs do?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BloodBag posted:

They are hands down, the single best place to find parts for older cars. If you search using the -bs tag for whatever you're looking for, it's perfection.

What does the -bs tag do?

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Aren't you literally better off trying to sell/buy something on Craigslist than Ebay these days?

Probably as a seller who's offloading non-niche things, as a buyer and depending on where you are and what you want to buy/sell it might be the only game in town

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's pretty good for finding old things as well as having a bit of protection when buying things from Chinese factories that take 2+ months to get to you, but they've been chipping away at what made it good (Online Flea Market) for a long time. I remember about a decade ago when you could use Money Orders, which was great as a teenager without a credit card, but then they partnered with Paypal and made PP mandatory.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

what does -bs do?

No bullshit offers, please

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Iron Crowned posted:

what does -bs do?

VanSandman posted:

What does the -bs tag do?

steinrokkan posted:

No bullshit offers, please

From the other thread I apparently revealed the secret of the Necronomicon in, another poster described what it does:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

"-bs" removes all of the "suggested" results. Anything that they THINK matches any search parameter.

If you search for "countertop dishwasher white" you'll get results where the title is "INNOVA DISH WASHER" and "Color: White" is part of the description. If you search "countertop dishwasher white -bs" the title HAS TO HAVE all of those words, exactly. It won't give you results for "counter top" or "dish washer" or anything without the word "white" in it.

Been a trick since like 2003, and it's good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Professor Shark posted:

It's pretty good for finding old things as well as having a bit of protection when buying things from Chinese factories that take 2+ months to get to you, but they've been chipping away at what made it good (Online Flea Market) for a long time. I remember about a decade ago when you could use Money Orders, which was great as a teenager without a credit card, but then they partnered with Paypal and made PP mandatory.
Yeah when i started on eBay as a teenager you had to pay by money order since PayPal didn’t exist.

I still use eBay all the time to buy stuff, but they have really made it terrible to be a seller with them giving the buyer the benefit of the doubt on disputes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah I think the biggest eBay downside is actually on the seller side, not the buyer side. I mean eBay is perfect for niche items, but the sellers have to want to put it there. If it's rare and desirable enough people will find a way to buy it no matter where it is. Ebay, however, strongly prioritizes buyers in basically every interaction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My wife had sold some shoes on eBay a few years back. The tracking number showed that the package was delivered to the person’s address. That buyer disputed that it was never delivered and won despite the tracking info. We never got the shoes back so that person got their money back plus the item. It’s sadly very easy to game eBay’s dispute system. I know it’s a real problem.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Ebay has it's place, but like Twitter and Snap it's probably NOT as some big huge tech company. They want to make it some kind of Amazon-like marketplace, but there's just not enough regulation between buyers and sellers. Like I've got a hard $100 limit on what I'm willing to risk on eBay whereas I'd buy a car off Amazon given the opportunity.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

My wife had sold some shoes on eBay a few years back. The tracking number showed that the package was delivered to the person’s address. That buyer disputed that it was never delivered and won despite the tracking info. We never got the shoes back so that person got their money back plus the item. It’s sadly very easy to game eBay’s dispute system. I know it’s a real problem.

That's basically what's killing eBay in the end. It's just way too easy for a buyer to dick over a seller. It wasn't always that way of course but enough people pissed and moaned that eBay kept nudging things further and further in favor of the buyer. The last thing I bought on eBay was a musical instrument over a decade ago. Even then I realized how bad it had gotten as the guy required that we use an escrow service. From what I hear it's just been getting continually worse. Mandating PayPal also didn't help.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
eBay's great -- somehow -- for raw materials for my idiot hobbies. Woodturning blanks which are way cheaper than what you'd get elsewhere, metal stock in dimensions that I can't find in stores, cheap parts/tools that I need to use exactly once (and are so cheaply made I'll also be able to use them only once). I love it.

Also, I've bought and sold far too many Amiga-related items that way until I finally gave up on the hobby... 20 years after nearly everyone else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably a lot of cases of 'poo poo, I bought a bunch of crap for this hobby I immediately got bored of, how do I get rid of it?"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My brother is an industrial electrician and as long as they are dependent on eBay to get replacement parts for some of their stuff because they aren't being made anymore.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BloodBag posted:

I rebuilt my motorcycle almost entirely through eBay. Still great for that kind of thing, or if you're looking for the odd bit of old technology. Absolutely worthless for anything else these days though.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I use eBay to get stuff for the office that isn't made anymore. I had to replace an old Metasys VMA and Extron PoleVault recently and eBay was the only place to get them. I could probably have found the stuff on Craigslist but no one on Craigslist is going to take my company credit card as payment, and I sure as hell am not going to pay for it out of pocket and wait for a reimbursement.

On the other hand, for personal purchases I think it's been a good decade since I've used eBay.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah for some reason the only goddamn place I can find that sells rough synthetic gems for my hobby is eBay. It’s really weird

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

To be fair, a lot of the time a carrier will leave something outside an apartment door/ on the porch of a house and mark it as delivered, so they might honestly not have received the package.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Sure sounds like the only people using Ebay are olds with olds hobbies then. Somebody who types in allcaps trading parts of irrelevant donglehickeys with somebody else who types in allcaps. Nobody getting cheated because they're all Hank Hill.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Professor Shark posted:

To be fair, a lot of the time a carrier will leave something outside an apartment door/ on the porch of a house and mark it as delivered, so they might honestly not have received the package.

FedEx Ground did this poo poo all the time at my old apartment. Color me pissed the day I came home and find the $400 package I was expecting in the middle of the hallway for anyone to just walk by and claim.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Nope. Things just changed. One of the issues with those toy-focused cartoons in the 80's is that they were terrible. Despite all the nostalgia people have for them (I'll confess to having some nostalgia for some of them so I'm not saying it's 100% wrong to have that nostalgia) when they grew up they got exposed to actually good cartoons. Cartoon Network started in 1992 and was playing actually good cartoons from the past. We're talking 1940's golden age stuff. Things like Ren and Stimpy also hit in 1991 and people remembered that cartoons can actually be good. The focus was on the show rather than the toy.

This is mostly correct, though Ren and Stimpy was garbage. The shift away from toy-driven cartoons also started before it with shows like DuckTales, Tiny Toons, and The Simpsons.

Another thing: TV animation was already in the dumps before the Reagan administration loosened restrictions for cartoons based on toys. He-Man and Care Bears didn't demolish any great standards of kids' television. They just replaced twaddle like Archie's TV Funnies and Goober and the Ghost Chasers.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah I forgot to actually suggest it could have been stolen, I think that's actually what happens in a lot of "Buyer lied!" cases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

FedEx Ground did this poo poo all the time at my old apartment. Color me pissed the day I came home and find the $400 package I was expecting in the middle of the hallway for anyone to just walk by and claim.

FedEx is convinced my apartment doesn't exist, so they leave my packages at random buildings in my complex. They've lost the last four packages I ordered, and every time I call them to complain they tell me the tracking says it was delivered so I can just deal with it. The most recent time when I ordered the package, I called them to see if they could leave it at the apartment office or have it be signed for, and they told me to pound sand since I wasn't the sender.

Luckily the first time it happened the guy who got my package was nice enough to send it back to the sender (and when he got it the second time he tracked me down), and the most recent time my maintenance guy found it and brought it to me.