Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Making red beans and rice using a recipe I got off of a postcard in NOLA, pray for me goons.

Speaking of which, the red beans recipe in the OP doesn't mention soaking them overnight first. What do you need to do to make them soft enough to eat same-day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Making red beans and rice using a recipe I got off of a postcard in NOLA, pray for me goons.

Speaking of which, the red beans recipe in the OP doesn't mention soaking them overnight first. What do you need to do to make them soft enough to eat same-day?

Quick Soak. In a stockpot, bring 10 cups water to a boil. Add 1-pound dry beans and return to a boil; let boil 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour. Use as you would normally soaked beans.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Moatman posted:

Of the roux? No. Of the gumbo? Hang on

I think you nailed it as well. Some people prefer a more blonde roux for a thicker gumbo, but I prefer a darker roux and thinner gumbo myself. I like the toasty, nutty flavor of a dark roux. Especially with poultry and sausage. Duck, andouille, and a dark roux do a badass gumbo make.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Personally, I prefer a thicker, darker gumbo by just using an absurd ratio of roux to everything else. :getin:

On another note, has anyone tried the America's Test Kitchen baked flour roux method? Seems like heresy, but the result looks pretty loving legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inHVUFKSdy4&t=145s

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doom Rooster posted:

Personally, I prefer a thicker, darker gumbo by just using an absurd ratio of roux to everything else. :getin:

On another note, has anyone tried the America's Test Kitchen baked flour roux method? Seems like heresy, but the result looks pretty loving legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inHVUFKSdy4&t=145s

My mom did this a bunch when I was a kid but I never really tried it myself.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zaepho posted:

Quick Soak. In a stockpot, bring 10 cups water to a boil. Add 1-pound dry beans and return to a boil; let boil 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour. Use as you would normally soaked beans.

also add a bay leaf, coarse ground black pepper, thyme twig, garlic, etc while boiling

I actually prefer the quick soak because of that (plus it makes the beans a bit less farty)

Doom Rooster posted:

Huh.

A 425 oven for 45 minutes to an hour is not what I want to do unless it's mid-winter, or had something else to do at the same time.

OTOH I wonder if that toasted flour would keep well? You could do a big batch then.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Klyith posted:

A 425 oven for 45 minutes to an hour is not what I want to do unless it's mid-winter, or had something else to do at the same time.

OTOH I wonder if that toasted flour would keep well? You could do a big batch then.

I like how easy this would be to get good color, but I don't like that they don't add it to any fat - it seems like you miss out on a quinessential part of a gumbo roux by not suspending it in fat that goes throughout your whole dish.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Oh poo poo yeah, good call. Missing out on a TON of flavor from fat.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

Oh poo poo yeah, good call. Missing out on a TON of flavor from fat.

i guess it's an easy fix to not do their weird process and instead just add toasted flour to your fat, cook it just long enough to be integrated, then proceed as normal

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
if you make your roux from vegetable oil or even processed lard it's not a big loss tbqh

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Even if the fat itself is not super flavorful, it carries flavors well and adds a lot to texture.

I make two gigantic batches of gumbo every year. Next batch is coming up next month. I may take some of the ingredients and do a small test batch or two with the toasted flour and see how it works out. Probably a small batch of just the toasted flour then another with toasted flour and oil mixed. I'll also keep some toasted flour in a ziplok for a few months, and see how well it keeps.

If it tastes just as good, and keeps well, that could be huge. Removing an hour of constant stirring would make me want to make gumbo more often.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not really sure if this is technically cajun/creole or not but I'll go ahead and say yes.

Recipe started originally as an Emeril Lagasse one for ham and green beans. Right now easter hams are on ridiculous prices to clear out stock and green beans are starting to get very cheap as well so I was looking for a recipe to use both.

You will need:

1lb ham, cubed
2 onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 small bell or red peppers, chopped
2 cups stock
2 lbs green beans (raw and trimmed, not canned)
oil / fat (I used bacon grease and a bit of butter)
4 tbls flour
4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
bay leaves
thyme
cayenne pepper
black pepper
paprika
rice

Started out chopping up the trinity and cubing up the ham.

Then fry the ham in 2 tbls of fat on med-high heat. Let it get good and brown on at least once side and start to shrink a bit.

Once the ham is cooked well and you have a good fond, add in another 2 tbls fat and let this melt in and then add your 4 tbls of flour and stir briskly. It will start to stick to the bottom of the pan. Once this starts make sure to turn your heat down to medium.

Next add in your trinity and stir, as it releases a little water try to use that to scrape off more of the fond on the bottom of the pan. I ended up turning it down to low at this point and letting sit covered for 5 mins to let some moisture come out of the trinity and help deglaze the bottom of the pan. Only hard step here is to not cook it too hot and burn your proto-roux on the bottom of the pan.

Once the vegetables fully soften you can leave it covered on low for 5-10 min stretches until everything starts to wilt down nicely. At this point I add in some garlic and a shake or two of paprika along with my bay leaf, dried thyme, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir that then add in the green beans (overcrowded here, but that changes quickly).

Stir the beans in just a bit, then add your 2 cups stock. Make sure you stir the stock and scrape the bottom a bit just to loosen up any fond left down there (shouldn't be much if any at this point). Bring heat back up to medium and cover. Let simmer for at least 20 minutes, stir occasionally. Beans should be soft enough to fold over the edge of your spoon some when lifting, but don't need to be cooked down to mush.

Served over rice this ends up being really good. I've made it twice now. You can add in some chopped parsley etc. I only add salt at the end because with the ham and bacon grease it ends up being salty enough as-is, so I would only salt to taste after you've gotten to the last steps. The fried ham really adds a nice flavor into the roux that works well with the beans. All in all one of my favorite 'cheap and easy' recipes I've come across in a bit. Also, it's not got a ton of meat in it and you can dial down the fat even more if you want and it's not overly unhealthy.

The Emeril recipe was not roux based and ended up tasting good but just being a bit thin overall. This is some kinda hybrid gumbo-esque version of it that ended up being awesome.

That Works fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 22, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Didn't want this to fall to archives. Hope all are having a good summer.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

That Works posted:

Didn't want this to fall to archives. Hope all are having a good summer.

As someone just finding this thread, thank you. I've been making gumbo for many years now but have never ventured off into other recipes.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Summer is just the doldrums for cooking Cajun food...I get into grilling and smoking, and there’s no football. So very few gumbos, jambalayas, and the rest.

Also no crawfish or oysters

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 21, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Summer is just the doldrums for cooking Cajun food...I get into grilling and smoking, and there’s no football. So very few gumbos, jambalayas, and the rest.

Same. I make the occasional pot of red beans or white beans, otherwise it's mostly grilling and salads.

I did make a huge pot of jambalaya yesterday since my inlaws just had a new baby and are gonna be real busy. Brought them a bunch of food and that's always a hit.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

Same. I make the occasional pot of red beans or white beans, otherwise it's mostly grilling and salads.

I did make a huge pot of jambalaya yesterday since my inlaws just had a new baby and are gonna be real busy. Brought them a bunch of food and that's always a hit.

Yeah I went to California to help out my parents for a bit. Cooked some shrimp creole and tomatoes and okra for them to freeze. But it was like 55 degrees at night so, basically fall.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The weather down here is good for it but not much fun cooking only for yourself, so no gumbo or jambalaya for me. Last night I did a stew with smoked sausage, the trinity, thyme, chilli, smoked paprika, beans and rice though. I didn't make it a proper gumbo or jambalaya as I had to cook each bit in lots (too busy entertaining my kid who has an attention span of 0 and needs something every 5min), so I got chopping for a mise en place while cooking his meal at 5pm and set it aside. Then got some stuff in a pot an hour later for a saute for 20min , then got it all together for a simmer after he went to bed at 7.30pm.
Getting a kid to like creole food or not be so fussy* and demanding tips appreciated.

*E: I could get my kid to eat Indian food and Italian stews or risottos when he was 3, but after that he got picky

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 24, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

That Works posted:

Red Beans and Rice

This dish is commonly made on Mondays as a way to utilize leftover ham and pork bones from Sunday dinner. This is a customary dish as Ham is typically served on Sundays and you can find this on special for Monday lunches all over the region. This dish is distinctly Creole, if you were wondering about that.

Fo3's no meat Red beans and rice: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811#post419688274

I love red beans and rice but have never been happy with the results when I make them. I'm thinking of trying one of the recipes from the op. When it says "mash" the beans against the side of the pot. How mashed should they be? Should it be a paste like mashed potatoes?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LLSix posted:

I love red beans and rice but have never been happy with the results when I make them. I'm thinking of trying one of the recipes from the op. When it says "mash" the beans against the side of the pot. How mashed should they be? Should it be a paste like mashed potatoes?

Yeah but just for the individual beans, that paste will dissolve into the rest of the dish and thicken it. Usually about 1/4 of the beans is enough.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Anyone have a good red beans recipe for the slow cooker?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

LLSix posted:

Kenjis recipe is awesome:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/05/new-orleans-style-red-beans-rice-recipe.html

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That's a good recipe.

Only thing I'd suggest is after browning your sausage reserve most of it and set aside to add back in during the last few minutes of cooking. Otherwise if it was good sausage it just kinda turns into minimally flavored sausage looking parts and kinda kills what should be nice little pieces of yummy sausage sitting in there.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Don't underestimate the smoked pork hock. Yeah, it's optional, but honestly, for me it adds a huge welcome smokey flavor note to the dish, and thus I think of it as indispensable. Check around for them. I can usually get 6 pork hocks for ~$5 here, and I throw 2 into the dish and freeze the rest for next time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

Don't underestimate the smoked pork hock. Yeah, it's optional, but honestly, for me it adds a huge welcome smokey flavor note to the dish, and thus I think of it as indispensable. Check around for them. I can usually get 6 pork hocks for ~$5 here, and I throw 2 into the dish and freeze the rest for next time.

I agree, if I'm not cooking for dietary restrictions (vegan red beans are real good) then it's a must have for me too.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LLSix posted:

Kenji’s recipe as others have said is the best one I’ve found. Flat out, I know it’s due to the vinegar in it. It cuts through the heaviness of the beans super well. Add the pickle pork. Add the hot sauce. Or just put straight vinegar in it. It transforms it from this heavy beany dish to something sublime. I also got incredibly drunk when I made kenjis recipe and passed out, leaving my ex to take the pot off th heat and refrigerate it. Tasted amazing the next day.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
When I smoke ribs I always use spare ribs. Before serving them, I trim them St. Louis style and throw the trimmings into the deep freeze. Later those trimmings go into bean pots, we rarely have to buy ham hocks at the store to flavor our beans.
We just got an instant pot and broke it in with this recipe: https://damndelicious.net/2018/04/30/instant-pot-red-beans-and-rice/
We added a chopped bell pepper to the recipe because, you know. It came out very tasty, but next time we will add in a can of beer and let it cook an extra 5 minutes because the beans came out just a little underdone.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GEEKABALL posted:

When I smoke ribs I always use spare ribs. Before serving them, I trim them St. Louis style and throw the trimmings into the deep freeze. Later those trimmings go into bean pots, we rarely have to buy ham hocks at the store to flavor our beans.
We just got an instant pot and broke it in with this recipe: https://damndelicious.net/2018/04/30/instant-pot-red-beans-and-rice/
We added a chopped bell pepper to the recipe because, you know. It came out very tasty, but next time we will add in a can of beer and let it cook an extra 5 minutes because the beans came out just a little underdone.

I haven't tried red beans in an instant pot yet but make them in a stovetop pressure cooker sometimes.

The recipe in your link looks good but I'd definitely suggest 2 things based on my own experiences (your preference may vary, don't take this as gospel).

1. I'd add in a little butter along with your cooking oil and a bit more (to taste) at the end. Flavor from butter seems to match up well with redbeans, more than white or black beans imo.

2. I'd either do an overnight slow soak, or the quick soak method (bring beans to a boil in excess water, boil for 10m, turn off heat, cover and let sit for 1h, rinse and drain and use).

Not doing some manner of soak on the red beans just never goes well for me and even if the taste and consistency comes out like I'd want it to, they end up making everyone a lot more gassy. Apart from that seems a good recipe. A splash of vinegar wouldn't hurt but again that's up to the chef.

To me getting the salt, butter and vinegar in just the right amounts (just add each to taste) makes a pot of redbeans go from good to great.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I tried this but forgot the vinegar. They tasted way better after I added some. Would make again.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Trying to force autumn to show up. Seafood gumbo (shrimp, lump crab).

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 13, 2018

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Goddamn your gumbo looks good.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Taking a day trip to NOLA next weekend and I can't wait to eat stuff.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Goddamn your gumbo looks good.

Thanks! It tastes pretty good too. At least my two year old thinks so, running around going “MO GUMBO MO GUMBO” until I stick a spoonful in her mouth.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

:jackbud:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The cicadas are singing, it’s hot as hell but there’s a breeze snapping the flag, and cold beer never tastes as good as it does in August. Despite all the poo poo, and there is poo poo aplenty, sometimes I love living in the bright sunny south.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
College Slice

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I would ugly eat that gumbo.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Are there any good low carb recipes you guys can share? I'm doing a keto diet and basically can't have sugars, bread, starches, rice, and carbs in general.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Eat all of the bacon.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Man, you're taking away roux (flour), rice, grits, biscuits...crawfish boil is pretty keto but you'll have to wait a few months! Boiled anything, if you can find the fresh seafood...

Here are some that might work pretty well. You're not going to find much cajun or creole food without some combination of garlic, bell peppers, onions, celery, though. I guess you can use other peppers (anaheim, hatch) and just limit the amount of onions you use.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11612-paul-prudhommes-blackened-redfish (blackened seasoning is good on all kinds of fish and also chicken)

http://emerils.com/127949/emerils-shrimp-creole (leave out the flour)

https://gonola.com/things-to-do-in-new-orleans/pick-of-the-week/gonola-recipes-at-home-chargrilled-oysters

http://emerils.com/120532/andouille-stuffed-double-cut-pork-chops (skip the cornbread in the stuffing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Crap, i forgot about flour in the roux. Actually, the guidelines for the diet say i can have limited amounts of coconut flour. I wonder how that would even work in that situation?