Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TGSid82
May 20, 2014
I thought this was going to be just a silly april fools joke, but you going into depth on the extra features from the remakes as an added bonus is a really great holliday extra. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

When I played through, I had to fight through most of the initial Sevii Islands quest with my anti-Blaine team, since I didn't know what the event flag for making the PCs work was.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Verant posted:

Maaan, Sevii Islands. Exciting, those islands weren't, even with the (theoretically) infinite source of berries. Sure there's some stuff postgame and also Moltres, but it all feels a bit...ehhhh. I suppose sticking it between the 7th and 8th gyms works though since you could just fly right to Viridian after beating up Blaine.

FRLG always felt extremely sterile and barren, even though they really aren't. I think it's something about the tilesets and menus, it all feels pretty stiff.
Also while the Sevii Islands weren't...amazing...I kind of appreciated them trying something different and it's a bit weird they never get mentioned otherwise. Probably could have thrown them in HGSS too, why not.

Also the Lostelle sidequest is messed up, what a thing to include way back when.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Blaze Dragon posted:

And hey, it's cool to see the Crosspeice OG team back, though you know, this is Gen 3, why haven't you evolved that Seadra? :v:

Cause you need the National Pokedex for that :v: Which means, like Crosspiece mentioned, getting 60 Pokemon, finding Lostelle and becoming Champion.

Man the Sevii Islands felt so cool when I got to this point in the Pokemon Adventures manga, but after I've actually played them it's been a one long disappointing fart.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The one thing I remember about the original games is my Kadabra single handedly crushing the last half of the game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kikas posted:

Cause you need the National Pokedex for that :v: Which means, like Crosspiece mentioned, getting 60 Pokemon, finding Lostelle and becoming Champion.

:thejoke:

rannum posted:

FRLG always felt extremely sterile and barren, even though they really aren't. I think it's something about the tilesets and menus, it all feels pretty stiff.

Nah, they absolutely are. FRLG are very much just RB but with a coat of paint, and by Gen 3, it was obvious how outdated Kanto was. Just look at the stuff Emerald, in the exact same console, pulls out, and then see how basic everything in Kanto is, from the cities to the routes.

Contrast to HGSS and ORAS which put a lot more effort into modernizing the regions themselves.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 2, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It doesn't help that they added some insulting-even-for-Pokemon levels of tutorializing(the teachy TV, I vaguely remember the first battle getting an active tutorial showing you exactly what to select, etc) and let Pokemon like Golbat try to evolve but fail, because gently caress you that's not in the original RBYdex.

And the one new area they added to Kanto was thoroughly unexciting, almost like they were terrified of making it RSE-quality and highlighting just how simplistic Kanto is compared to the regions they were capable of making on the GBA.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

It doesn't help that they added some insulting-even-for-Pokemon levels of tutorializing(the teachy TV, I vaguely remember the first battle getting an active tutorial showing you exactly what to select, etc) and let Pokemon like Golbat try to evolve but fail, because gently caress you that's not in the original RBYdex.

And the one new area they added to Kanto was thoroughly unexciting, almost like they were terrified of making it RSE-quality and highlighting just how simplistic Kanto is compared to the regions they were capable of making on the GBA.
Yeah Oak walks you through the opening battle's selections and explanations.
The teachy TV is weird because it replaces the capture tutorial but then never forces you to view it. You never have to interact with it! Which is probably the best way to handle tutorials, really.

The more annoying thing was that quick help menus existed. And tied to the L & R buttons, so you always activated them all the time.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Haifisch posted:

Seriously. They couldn't even be assed to name the islands. It's literally islands 1,2, and 3

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

It's a bit annoying and unnecessary, but at least the FR/LG tutorial stuff is over quickly (that's not to say other design choices don't baffle me). That said, most of it's actually pretty bad as a tutorial. The Oak thing actually has lines that praise you for whatever decision you make - "Doing damage is important, that's how you win! Good move." "Lowering your opponent's stats is useful. Good idea!" (paraphrased, anyway). It manages to be annoying and intrusive without actually teaching the player anything.

On the other hand, the Teachy TV (even if not executed that well) was unobtrusive and you never had to use it. It also didn't really provide that much information, but, well, I seem to remember there being things in it that actually wouldn't be obvious to new players. I used to watch it every playthrough thinking the pokemon it showed would be added as "seen" to the pokedex, but once I realised it didn't I stopped bothering with it.

The mechanic that bothers me the most in FR/LG is the arbitrary gating of evolutions behind a silly postgame event flag. I understand the desire to maintain consistency in pokemon availability with the original games, but they allow all of the other changes to them to stand (stat changes, movepool changes, Abilities, all of that stuff is fine) except for that one thing. I suppose the impulse is that they wanted to maintain the conceit of the pokedex only going to 150 or 151? But even that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and the way it was implemented was really intrusive if you ever wanted to use the Zubat line, though, and also confusing and unintuitive to figure out what was going on (there's also no way to make sense of it in-universe). It's also weird because that's almost certainly the only pokemon people will see it happen with unless they cheat, I can't imagine anyone's using Chansey ingame. Then again, there are a lot of weird decisions they made in FR/LG out of the desire to make them play as similarly to OG Kanto as possible (just without the bugs that made it fun).

Still, they seem to have learned their lesson, because none of the other remakes did anything of the kind that I'm aware of.

This was an interesting idea for an April Fool post, are you going to be showing any more FR/LG content or was this a one-off thing?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Kanto is the most boring region, but they still shill it in just about every generation it seems.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Kanto is the most boring region, but they still shill it in just about every generation it seems.

Nostalgia is one hell of a drug.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Could be worse - look at Fire Emblem and how they shill the first game and its flat characters in all of their spinoffs.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Glad everyone shares my mostly unsurprising opinions that FRLG is super boring, super bland and super frustrating. I was going to put Part 20 of Emerald up and say my April Fools was me posting an update, the horror! But since I couldn't finish it in time, I could post the first part of FRLG instead, which I will be continuing. It's not like the HGSS stuff where it'll interrupt the main LP all the time, I have all the updates for it finished, so I'll post them whenever. But man, not a lot of it was all that interesting to go over and I was on autopilot while I got up to the 7th Gym to actually start recording.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Is this just an excuse for me to show off the Sevii Islands and not have to look at endless Swimmer battle screenshots?

There is no escape!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, across all the generations, which pokemon is the most biker-gangest pokemon of them all?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Either sandile or scrafty.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Jigglypuff. you know she's a badass under all the pink

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Kirby

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Pangoro.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Cloyster

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
TRISTAN Minccino!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

It's clearly Garbodor

https://twitter.com/GCMushroom/status/970695347944112128

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 20: Fueling Failure

Mossdeep City

Mossdeep City/Tokusane City: Our slogan: cherish POKEMON!
From moss and deep, describing the deep ocean, or deep space, and tokusa-iro (teal green colour of horsetail) and takane (high peak).

It's the second of five island towns in this game. Mossdeep is pretty big and has a fair amount to it. Like this Dynamicpunch tutor. We're getting there.

Oh yeah, we should make a Secret Base, it's just other votes have taken priority.

Ugh, this Game Corner was copied over from FRLG. Thankfully we don't have to touch it at all, it just gives those in FRLG more player options. Cause they need to play it, if they want to be a master. You do want to be a master, don't you?

We can also finally buy Dive and Net Balls, both very useful, though the Net Ball could've come much earlier. It has a 3x rate on Water or Bug types and while we've caught all the Bug types in the dex, there's still a silly amount of Water types left. The Dive Ball has a 3.5x rate when catching Pokemon underwater, which will be very helpful soon, but is only for 3 Pokemon.

This guy tells you your Pokemon's Pokeblock preference, so since Ranmaru has a Careful nature, which boosts Sp.Def and makes it prefer bitter food, it likes Pokeblocks that boost its Smart contest stat.

Two Gym Leaders? What a crazy idea.

I think it's called KING'S ROCK. Do you want it? Why would you want it? You're weird. You can keep it, but please keep it a secret from STEVEN.

A cool pickup, though neither the Slowpoke or Poliwag lines are in the Hoenn Dex, so I won't be using it. Still, 10% chance of flinching the opponent when you hit them with a contact move ain't bad. I'm kidding, it's poo poo, but might as well use it for something.

Seems Steven isn't home, wonder where he's at?

"take a look-see for myself."

But there's something wrong about this town. People are going on about a warning letter and the SPACE CENTER... I don't think it concerns me in any way, though.

Oh my god a white rock. Doesn't seem to do anything though.

What do you think? You want it, don't you? You bet, you bet! After all, a SUPER ROD is really super!

We've got the final rod and boy is there a fair few Pokemon we can get with it. Usually it's evolved forms of previous Pokemon we could fish up, but there's some other cool ones too. Despite its description, you can't use Dive Balls on Pokemon fished with this rod.

Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace

Very nice, we only need one Sun Stone for the dex, so thankfully we don't need to get anymore from wild Solrock. Man, wouldn't that suck if you were playing Sapphire and couldn't get any more of those? Haha. Yeah.

...has it only been six weeks since I started this save file? Man I'm going through this LP quick.

I don't know what they'd need it for, but they can't be allowed to take it. I'll keep an eye on things for a while longer. In the meantime, why don't you go check out the town?

We will soon visit you to take your rocket fuel. Please don't try to stop us. We will take the fuel no matter what. Let there be more land! TEAM MAGMA

I've mentioned before how the multiple taps to get a fishing Pokemon in this game sucks, but now it's even worse. With the Super Rod, you have to sometimes tap up to 6-7 times to finally land a drat Pokemon and the number of times you have to hook something has no correlation to what it is, or what level it is. It's such a waste of time and I hate fishing in this game so much.

But hey, might as well fish up some cool stuff, even if it takes forever to do. That's it for Mossdeep for now, so onto the Gym!

Pokemon Gym

If you go up against them with FIGHTING or POISON-type POKEMON, they'll inflict horrible damage! Plus, they'll come at you with outstanding combination attacks. If you want to win, you'll need to show them how tight you are with your POKEMON. Go for it!

This Gym got a major redesign from RS and now features buttons to rotate statues and trainers. Every battle in here can be a double battle, which is cool, but none of the trainers have anything we haven't seen before (mainly cause we cleaned out the Safari Zone), so I'll be skipping over them. What can I say, the last part of the game has a lot of trainers but very little in new and interesting Pokemon.

This Gym is pretty simple, but we have a choice of two teleporters. We'll go right.

Very loud psychics.

Eventually, Wargreymon will evolve. Spoilers, it won't be for a while yet.

Alright, now that we've cleared the way, it's on to the left teleporter.

The Gym is not particularly hard to get through, but having to press the buttons multiple times does get annoying.

Gym Leader time!

Huh??? I'm seeing double here! Four Gym Leaders!

That there are two GYM LEADERS? We're twins!

We don't need to talk because...

We can each determine what...

The other is thinking...

All in our minds!

This combination of ours...

Can you beat it?

VS Gym Leader :siren: VS Leaders Tate & Liza :siren:

Tate & Liza/Fu & Lan: The mystic combination!
From levitate and fūran (wind orchid) and (floating).

While getting Baltoy to evolve was a bit of a pain, now you've got a pretty good defensive monster. Shame its typing kinda sucks for that, both those high defenses are pretty drat good and it getting dual screens as well as Cosmic Power really makes it a wall against Ground or Rock types. It learning Hyper Beam immediately is a bit strange, but aside from Explosion, there's not really anything to help you, so Earthquake and Psychic need to be TMed. Those are some amazing moves, so is it the best recipient of them? Probably not. Ice Beam, Shadow Ball and Ancientpower are alright coverage at least, but it can't even learn Calm Mind, so you won't be dealing much damage despite those strong moves. Overall, could be a lot better.

Fighting two Gym Leaders at once in a double battle is a super rad idea, but in RS, they only had two Pokemon. Now, Xatu and Claydol have been added in and you can understand why I want to get rid of Claydol as soon as I can, it will just spam Earthquake endlessly, so having a Flying type really helps avoid lots of damage.

...jeeeeeesus, Calbrena. That's beautiful, I love it.

Xatu can hit you pretty hard, but it's mainly a support to Claydol and Solrock.

It's also supporting me, indirectly. That was just the first turn, double battles have a little bit more going on compared to singles.

Calbrena is doing pretty good in her debut Gym, as I expected. Since Light Screen and Calm Mind are being thrown around a lot, having a strong physical attacker is a good idea.

While Lunatone does nothing against Dark types, it can be a nice support to Solrock or Claydol and can boost up pretty effectively.

Thankfully that was the most Xatu did. Sure, I knocked them out quickly instead of showing what they can do, but I don't wanna know what they can do, cause they can hurt super bad. I don't wanna get wrecked and double battles means it a lot easier to throw damage around before it gets thrown back at you.

Since I'm not super scared of these two compared to the Claydol, I can go a bit easier on them. Wouldn't be fun if Calbrena just two shot everything, right?

Darn, I was hoping to put Lunatone back down to where it was, but since Solrock is paralyzed, it's safe for Wargreymon to come out.

Well it can take the Psychic attacks coming at Calbrena, remember you switch a Pokemon in mid-turn, and it can outspeed with Iron Tail instead of taking a Flamethrower and dying immediately.

I'm just glad Iron Tail didn't miss, or we would be in a bit of trouble.

Hah, boost up all you want, it's not gonna-

Maybe I should force feed Wargreymon some Zinc.

At +1 Sp.Def, I dunno if this will knock out...

But Ranmaru is just that good. Also props to Nimbus for just sitting there dishing out damage and paralysis and being ignored the whole time.

Pokemon Gym

It also lets you use the HM move DIVE outside of battle.

You should take this, too.

It raises SP.ATk and...

It raises SP.DEF!

It's a move that's perfect...

For PSYCHIC POKEMON!

"the bond that we share as twins."

You will become even stronger! We've battled you, so we know.

Just one more badge to go! Shame there's a lot of ocean inbetween that...

Oh yeah, this is happening. We should probably do something about that.

Magma Takeover

Just the usual grunt fare. Feels a bit last ditch.

"That I stayed to the bitter end..."

Alright, thankfully there's only two floors to this place. Up to the boss.

Uh...

On to the boss!

If you're going to mess with us, too, we'll take care of you at the same time!

What's the point of stealing rocket fuel?

Fufufu... since you're so curious, you deserve an explanation. We're going to jettison the entire load into MT.CHIMNEY! With GROUDON gone, we have no need for that slag heap of a mountain! So we'll use the fuel's power to make the volcano erupt! It will be savage!

YUKI! You're going to help me? Let's go into battle together! Are you ready?

From the first big double battle, to the very first big multi battle! Though this makes this the third time we're fighting Maxie. Hmm.

VS Leader Maxie

Steven won't be helping a huge amount, though screens are appreciated. As you can see, this is the last battle against Maxie and to fight him so soon after the Hideout, especially before fighting Archie once, is definitely a misstep.

Only Maxie is actually interesting to fight here, Tabitha is just too weak with Steven in the mix. I mean, it's a dice roll whether Steven actually attacks, or just supports with random moves.

Alright, now with Mightena out of the way, let's start throwing Psychic around.

Yeah Golbat ain't doing much. Especially since it's not targeting the Pokemon weak to Dark. Well anyway, I think the whole dual team plot could've worked a bit better if things had been swapped around. After all, where the hell is Courtney? You know, the other Team Magma admin? This is also the third time we've fought Tabitha too.

Teamwork! See, I think the Magma Hideout and the Space Center Takeover should've been swapped. Have Tabitha and Courtney steal some fuel to help reach the very depths of the volcano and get the Magma Emblem now. Then fight Maxie and have Groudon awaken much later than it does, since we haven't heard anything about it since. It also means you'll fight both leaders at the climactic part of the story, instead of this weird plot.

Things seem to be going pretty smoothly for us.

Well, not anymore.

Especially now. Man, Earthquake is just too good.

Thanks Steven, for doing gently caress ALL. So yeah, we definitely should've fought Archie before this, maybe when they took the submarine, cause it is a bit unfair. At least we fight both of his admins.[/i]

Alright, I'm doing my part.

Stop not doing yours!!! If we were to only face Tabitha and Courtney, then yeah, it wouldn't justify Steven being here, so how about the rival instead? Steven can get held up fighting a load of grunts, but it would be a way for the rival to not disappear from the story, as well as seeing their fully evolved starter.

It's a good thing the main Pokemon of the leader of the Fire team doesn't have a Fire move!

Despite doing very little, Steven gets the final kill. Maaaaaaan.

Magma Takeover

We failed to make the volcano erupt... we failed to control GROUDON after we had awoken it... is our goal to expand the land misguided? If... if we, TEAM MAGMA, are wrong... then might TEAM AQUA's goal to expand the sea also be equally misguided? All right... we will give up on the fuel... there appear to be more important matter that I must examine...

Mossdeep City

Please come see me at home after this. Oh, yes, I don't live in RUSTBORO CITY. I live right here on this island.

As you can see, there's not much here, but this is my home. Thank you for all that you've done. This is my token of appreciation. It's the HIDDEN MACHINE DIVE. No need to be shy--you've earned this HM.

Use DIVE if you come to deep water like it. You'll drop to the seafloor. When you want to come back up, use DIVE again. In some places, it won't be possible for you to surface, though. Apparently, there's an underwater cavern between MOSSDEEP and SOOTOPOLIS. You know, the one that CAPT.STERN found in his submarine.

Ugh, Dive. A rubbish move, an annoying HM and it makes the large empty ocean areas even larger and emptier. You thought Nobunaga would have good moves in the endgame? Hahaha, nope.

As much as I would love to go back to Route 124 and dive down, or go to the other twenty thousand water routes we can access, let's instead go to this cave. Yeah!

Shoal Cave

How about bringing me back some SHOAL SALT and SHOAL SHELLS? I can make you something good if you bring me the ingredients.

The Shoal Cave is a pretty neat area, as it changes its appearence from High Tide to Low Tide every six hours, starting at midnight. Since the clock isn't easy to manipulate, this is thankfully one of the few things it influences.

What's this mound of dirt?

Ah, some salt. There's four patches of both salt and shell that regrows every day. Obviously you can only access them at their respective tide heights.

There's some neat Pokemon to catch here and you can probably guess why I'm heading straight to this place instead of just covering Route 125.

I really like how different this place looks depending on the time and the various places of the other tide you can reach.

But with focus, one can overcome! With this FOCUS BAND, buckle down and withstand the cold!

I miss the Focus Sash... the band will do, but its 10% chance just isn't reliable.

Heading left from there leads us to the basin where a lot of salt is.

That's all of it we need, but what's down here?

Woah that's pretty bright. It's ice sliding time!

Not too devilish, but still a bit of a puzzler.

Can you solve the puzzle?

Yeah, not too tough, but all that's left is the new Pokemon!

It's about TIME we got our final team member. Ahem. So, Snorunt has weirdly even stats and won't ever be particularly impressive since the master of none archetype really doesn't work in Pokemon unless they're high enough to matter. So getting it to evolve is gonna be a bit rough, but it has the movepool to survive. Having Crunch and then a quick Ice Beam does a lot to increase the overall damage output, but that's really about it. Uh, there's Water Pulse, Earthquake and Shadow Ball. Nothing too crazy, especially with the millions of Water types everywhere, but hey, it'll be alright. I guess. Pure Ice isn't the best typing, especially with those low defenses.

Thanks to SageNytell for the nickname and hey, our team is equal gender, how nuts.

A 5% encounter that didn't take too long, thankfully.

Hardy, that's the most basic Nature you can get, since it's +Atk, -Atk. Overall, all the natures we got in our first outing could've been a lot worse.

Cold Gregg has a lot of catching up to do, so she'll be needing that. I think I'll give Calbrena the Soothe Bell later on, since I want to keep Return strong and the Focus Band just never pops up when you want it to.

Six hours later, it's high tide time!

Since everything's been filled in, there's a lot less to explore.

Still worth exploring regardless.

There we go, this better be worth it.

Would you like me to make you a SHELL BELL with them? All righty, then! I'll make you a SHELL BELL right away. ... There! Done!

Why, the SHELL BELL's chime... it's simply sublime! You can get its ingredients every day, so I can make you more.

Ehhhhh, the Shell Bell recovers HP equal to 1/8th of the damage dealt, which really doesn't add up to much. Especially considering what you have to do to get it too. Anyway, next time, we'll be taking our new team member for a spin as we go through... f-five water routes? Oh... oh no.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 5, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 08: Wireless Communication

Hey, who remembers this little thing? I sure do, it came with my brand new copy of LeafGreen when it first came out. It's a super useful device, removing all those drat wires and letting you connect up to 5 people in certain circumstances. It wasn't perfect, however, very few games supported this neat thing, nearly casting it to the side like the Mobile GB Adapter before it. You also had to use your link cables whenever you wanted to communicate with Ruby/Sapphire, but between FRLG and Emerald, it worked pretty drat well. You can even connect with Colosseum and XD, though that's with a different cable.

To start off, there's the Union Room, which allows you to connect with up to 40 other people (in groups of 5) to chat, trade and battle. You can also view the Trainer Card of the other person, enter two Pokemon for a level 30 one-on-one battle, register a specific Pokemon you want to trade with someone else, mix records with 2-4 other people. Now this all depends on having someone else to actually connect and trade with, so of course I'm not gonna do any of it. Then there's the Cable Club, where you can link up with three other people and participate in a multi battle, or mix records, or Berry Crush. Most of these features can quickly be accessed from the Direct Corner in the Union Room, to save you having to jump out every time.

Mixing records is a big thing for the Hoenn games and can be accessed after reaching Mauville. Not only does it allow you to do more with the old guys and center ladies, as I've gone over previous, it gives you more television shows to detail what your friends were doing, such as buying from a Mart, catching a Pokemon, or fishing. You will also copy over their Secret Base and battle them as they are when you mixed with them. There's also the Fanclub in Lilycove which will talk about your friend's accomplishments instead of your own, fickle bastards. You also transfer the Dewford Hall's trendy saying, which makes hunting for Feebas much quicker, as well as transferring an active swarm to a game that would not be able to get it, such as Surskit in Emerald.

There are also some pretty big ones, such as the Eon Ticket. If you were unlucky enough to miss out on getting this rare item from an event that will never occur again, but somehow have a friend who was lucky enough to get one (I know, happens all the time, right), then when you mix records with that friend in the Player 1 slot, you get an Eon Ticket! However, you can't transfer that ticket on to other people, only the people who went to the event can do such a thing. Of course, you can't do it with any of the other one of a kind one time only event items. Still, at least you can get the other Lati and the Soul Dew, so that's pretty good, if you're in that very specific set of circumstances.

People you mix records with will also appear in the Battle Tower, at the specific point they lost at, either as an opponent, or as a possible partner in the Multi Battle mode, with their exact Pokemon at that point in the streak and as a trainer class given to them in the same method as their Secret Base class. Their records will also be recorded in the Record Hall. Just remember, only Japanese Emerald games can record mix with non-Japanese Emerald, every other game and language are incompatible with each other.

Pokemon Jump Dodrio Berry Picking

Now the last wireless adapter nonsense to go over is the Joyful Game Corner on Two Island, or Mossdeep City in Emerald. There are two minigames you can participate in and have a fair few restrictions, as well as needing a minimum of three players. While it's something to completely skip over in Emerald, in FRLG? You need to score well in both of these minigames to get a Trainer Card star. Don't have friends, or wireless adapters to play with? Too bad, no complete game for you!

The first minigame is Pokemon Jump, which requires a small Pokemon no bigger than 0.7m that can jump, as well as two players. There are 101 eligible Pokemon and you can probably guess what they are. All you need to do is jump over the vine created by two Venusaur, and after the time limit, the Pokemon with the most points wins. You need to jump 200 times to get the Trainer Card star.

The second minigame is Dodrio Berry Picking and requires you to have a Dodrio, as well as 3-5 players. You use the left, right and up buttons on the d-pad to control each head and grab berries as they fall. Missing a berry causes the meter at the top to decrease and when it's empty, it's game over. You need to get 200 berries in order to get the Trainer Card star.

And there we go, that's all the cool things you can do with the Wireless Adapter. Is it the only peripheral you can connect to FRLG and Emerald to get tons of exclusive content? Ohohohohohohohohoho. God no. This is only just the beginning.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, now that we're not voting for Contests, or on nicknames, we finally have a break to :siren: vote on the Secret Base! :siren: It's not gonna be anything too crazy, just say which location you want me to use out of the very long list here. And then choose ONE decoration to go in, the 10 highest will be put in! That's it! Woo!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 3, 2018

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
So the next peripheral you'll be talking about would be the ever useful and wonderful E-Reader, I presume?

Someone actually gave me theirs a few years back, and luckily I still had my Eon Ticket card from Nintendo Power, so I was able to get my spare Lati's on the GBA games before transferring them to live their lives forever in a cold uncaring box. That's the only thing I've ever used that E-Reader for, I don't think I had the right combinations of Pokemon Cards to actually play any minigames, either that or I just didn't give enough of a poo poo to try.

Also the Dive Ball may be one of my favorite designed Pokeballs. I don't know why, just something about it being the shades of blue makes it look great to me.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

I vote for a big, Winding Blue Cave Base on Route 120

And obviously, Note Blocks for decroations! GAFG BAFG would be a nice pattern to put them in I think.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Since it came up in that update, I feel like I have to air my grievances on something: the healing herbs. It only comes up in Gen 3 and 4, but there are some Pokemon that like bitter food. The healing herbs are bitter and yet they lower happiness for everything, regardless of taste preferences. It's just a little thing that's been bugging me for a while.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Let's make our base in the wide blue cave on Route 120, and put in a Big Plant.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Route 120, Shrub, 2-room, South of the southern bridge, just west of Route 121.

Big Plant.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
I'm pretty sure the place I put my secret base in was only added in the remakes, so I have no opinion as to where yours goes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TEAM MAGMA posted:

We will soon visit you to take your rocket fuel. Please don't try to stop us. We will take the fuel no matter what. Let there be more land!

Say what you want about the idiocy of Team Magma's plans (even if Team Aqua's is dumber), but you can't deny that their manners are top notch.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Crosspeice posted:

Oh yeah, now that we're not voting for Contests, or on nicknames, we finally have a break to :siren: vote on the Secret Base! :siren: It's not gonna be anything too crazy, just say which location you want me to use out of the very long list here. And then choose ONE decoration to go in, the 10 highest will be put in! That's it! Woo!

Route 127, smack-dab in the middle of Hoenn's best ocean route and right alongside the underwater highway. Put in some kind of large mat, that'll make those bare cave floors a bit more comfy

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I don’t care where the base is, but if you aren’t filling it with as many dolls as possible, you’re doing secret bases wrong.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

hopeandjoy posted:

I don’t care where the base is, but if you aren’t filling it with as many dolls as possible, you’re doing secret bases wrong.

not emptyquoting

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

We need a secret volcano lair like any good villain.

Smother it in dolls

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

This guy understands how to do secret bases

Also the Eon Ticket is probably the most common of the event items and, I think, the only one in the gen 3 games you can still get today! But I think that's more relevant for the....special....peripheral you're talking about next.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

hopeandjoy posted:

All the Poke Dolls. All of ‘em. And of course, you need some large mats (either Thunder or Powder Snow designs) to put them on! I’m sad that you can’t get the huge dolls (or Rhydon at least) or giant Slide decoration until postgame though :(

I was always partial to the 3-room tree format on route 110 whenever I played.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I hadn't realised you fight Maxie three times before fighting Archie once. That's a weird design choice. Still, I'll take it, anything to differentiate these boring teams rather than have them just be identical clones of each other (Emerald doing anything at all with this is a vast improvement over R/S in my view, even if it could've done more, and it's a shame none of it stuck around for the remakes). Still, the Magma Hideout was probably the best of those changes (seriously, it's so much better doing this than having the fire team training Wailmer in the sea hideout which is Aqua's in the other games, as they do in Ruby).

It's incredibly weird to me that this one battle with Steven is the only partnered fight in all of Emerald (or outside the postgame area anyway, I can't remember if they're a possibility there but if so I've never seen them), and there weren't any of those in the other gen 3 games. I don't know why they program in features like this, and then basically just demo them without actually doing anything significant.

I have absolutely no opinion on Secret Bases, though I'll be interested to see what you show off. They're one mechanic in these games I never could get interested in, they always seemed so pointless. That said, do you have the ability to get the Regi dolls somehow? Those could be cool to see.

Epicmissingno posted:

Since it came up in that update, I feel like I have to air my grievances on something: the healing herbs. It only comes up in Gen 3 and 4, but there are some Pokemon that like bitter food. The healing herbs are bitter and yet they lower happiness for everything, regardless of taste preferences. It's just a little thing that's been bugging me for a while.

According to Bulbapedia they're different words in Japanese, to the extent their information is trustworthy. The "bitter" that corresponds to the Smart contest stat might be more accurately translated as "astringent", I think. Still, I sort of agree that it's a missed opportunity to have the "bad-tasting" medicine interact with the flavour preference mechanics.

• Locked thread