Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a big trick of solid state amps vs old tube amps is that it used to be "How much voltage can you swing out of this tube collector" and then impedance transform it down to 8 ohms. With solid state poo poo, current delivery capability is _eeeeeverything_. You can make a transistor amp that'll swing whatever volts but since we don't use output transformers any more, the current you get is the current you get, and amps are what provides the thump and the power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

uh oh, the linear regulator's pins don't fit in wire wrap sockets. how am i going to get power to all my ICs!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

i enjoyed this

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

uh oh, the linear regulator's pins don't fit in wire wrap sockets. how am i going to get power to all my ICs!

solder the regulator next to a strip of wire wrap socket posts and bend the leads over so you can solder them to the base of the post. leaves less room for wrapping connections onto the post, but you can add more rows of wire wrap posts like so:

code:
  R S S
  e o o
  g c c
    k k
  | | |
PERFBOARD
  | | |
  +-+-+
    | |
    | |
    | |

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I hate to just chime in with a ditto but I really enjoyed this.

The lyrics posted really helped. My ears are broken (like literally don't work right, I'm a cyber-man who needs machines to hear) and while I can still enjoy music I would not have had a hope of making out the words myself but reading along lets my brain click the two together

Yeah I really enjoyed it :yayclod:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BobHoward posted:

solder the regulator next to a strip of wire wrap socket posts and bend the leads over so you can solder them to the base of the post. leaves less room for wrapping connections onto the post, but you can add more rows of wire wrap posts like so:

code:
  R S S
  e o o
  g c c
    k k
  | | |
PERFBOARD
  | | |
  +-+-+
    | |
    | |
    | |

ah, of course. turn the perfboard into an inverted breadboard and give myself all the connections i need

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Mister Sinewave posted:

I hate to just chime in with a ditto but I really enjoyed this.

The lyrics posted really helped. My ears are broken (like literally don't work right, I'm a cyber-man who needs machines to hear) and while I can still enjoy music I would not have had a hope of making out the words myself but reading along lets my brain click the two together

Yeah I really enjoyed it :yayclod:

thanks a bunch!

getting the vocoded lyrics even semi-comprehensible is always a challenge, so i have to post lyrics or my aunt will immediately post "i can't understand the lyrics" on my facebook. she does the same with identifying any species of bird in any picture i post. she's a sweetheart, but she's also a bit of a chore sometimes

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Finished off the refurbishment of my Atari 1040STf

Here's what it looked before:

After:

Bonus Amiga A1200 photo:

The Atari powers up, but waiting on a cable order to come in so I can see if it displays video.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

fortunately, like the old amigas, it's pretty simple inside and easy to repair if there is a problem. if anything goes bad it's generally the shifter (from heat, it's in a little metal can) and you can just buy replacements from ebay

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

i got to know the M4's DSP instructions and made the core of the mixer in assembly.

> Channel mixed in 1856 cycles (14.5 cycles/sample).

maybe i can afford reverb after all :mrgw:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Daisy chaining power = bad but I can daisy chain signals right? I have my two ROMs and two RAMs next to each other and want to connect their address pins together. I’d be going CPU -> ROM -> ROM -> SRAM -> SRAM.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Daisy chaining power = bad but I can daisy chain signals right? I have my two ROMs and two RAMs next to each other and want to connect their address pins together. I’d be going CPU -> ROM -> ROM -> SRAM -> SRAM.

yeah that should be fine

btw the power thing isn't like super bad to violate here and there, it's just an easy rule of thumb to follow which avoids potential issues

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BobHoward posted:

yeah that should be fine

btw the power thing isn't like super bad to violate here and there, it's just an easy rule of thumb to follow which avoids potential issues

yeah i saw a post from someone like "i daisy chained all the power pins together on my design and at the end the +5V was down to 3.1V"

obviously that's not an issue if the chips consider anything over like 2V as a logical 1 and i'm wiring 4 chips together with an inch of wire combined

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Yeah having one long power trace that ends up being 1m long because it snakes all over the place is bad, but sharing one trace between half a dozen chips is fine. For signals traces likes address and data lines you don't have to worry about it because there's no real current flowing and that's the thing that causes a voltage drop.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well you do have to worry about creating an antenna if you make it too long and meandering

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

true. but does that really start affecting anything until you get to higher frequencies (30mhz+?) and start pushing the limits with respect to chip timing?

for an example of sharing power traces this BBC Micro board has ~100 chips on it. all the power pins are chained together (it's the thicker trace you can see here and there near most chips), and the 5V power supply is just connected to that one long trace in three positions - once at each end and once in the middle.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I finally got an RPI streaming a nice webcam that I have. The framerate is terrible but the webcam has a fun fisheye lens and always has this moody look about it.

Believe it or not the four little cores on the RPI and that GPU do a fine job transcoding to MPEG4 for low enough resolutions.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Sweevo posted:

true. but does that really start affecting anything until you get to higher frequencies (30mhz+?) and start pushing the limits with respect to chip timing?

As long as there's sufficient decoupling, it should be good up significantly higher than that. (See: an orange local decoupling cap at the + rail of every chip.) If you aren't doing RF tx/rx, it's just good design practice tho, right?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

yeah I’m running the board at an 8MHz master clock so it should be okay

the CMOS 68Ks I bought are 16MHz parts but I’ve only got 8 and 10MHz crystals and the MFP needs a 4MHz clock

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 2, 2018

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

yeah i saw a post from someone like "i daisy chained all the power pins together on my design and at the end the +5V was down to 3.1V"

obviously that's not an issue if the chips consider anything over like 2V as a logical 1 and i'm wiring 4 chips together with an inch of wire combined

well... putting on the pedant hat it's not just about successful chip-to-chip communication. chip designers close timing assuming worst case process corners, temps, and supply voltages (PVT). typical 5v chips are rated +/- 10% power supply voltage so anything less than 4.5V risks the guts of the chip hitting unpredictable weird bugs

like many things there's often enough margin that you can get away with small violations, especially on older technologies and when not running at full speed. 3.1v probably didn't go well though, lol

modern chips are crazy in this regard. got a cpu whose core runs at ~1.0V and consumes ~100W? cool, that means 100A supply current. even over just an inch or two distance, at 100A, IR droop is a hell of a thing. there are seriously fascinating engineering challenges designing the system to maintain proper voltage regulation at the core so the processor doesn't glitch the gently caress out all the time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Spatial posted:

i got to know the M4's DSP instructions and made the core of the mixer in assembly.

> Channel mixed in 1856 cycles (14.5 cycles/sample).

maybe i can afford reverb after all :mrgw:

sweet

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i made a new album

https://dumbledog.bandcamp.com/album/disciples-of-euclid-pt-4

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i figured out how to make metallic clangs in vcv so far lmbo

anyway I hooked up the barrel jack and regulator to the proto board and... I’m getting 13V in and 2.4V out. on a 9V transformer going to a 5V regulator with nothing hooked up to it, just an output pin wired to a header and the ground pin tied to, uh, ground.

what the hell electricity

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you got filter caps on that regulator? possible its oscillating

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sometimes adapters don't output right unless they are loaded but that still sounds kind of hosed up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

you got filter caps on that regulator? possible its oscillating

yeah, same as on my breadboard... i’ll check the wiring again and make sure nothing’s shorted

I can check it out with my scope too, and hook up an LED

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
well I've got an idiot sparetime project

https://twitter.com/SilverAlicorn/status/981331828572172288

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

nice! i've got a couple little all-in-one macs, they're real cute. fun fact: at the time, Mac model names had an "X" meaning they had a full 68030. this would mean the SE with 68030 would be the... SE/X. they wisely chose not to do that.

oh yeah, my other idiot sparetime project: my brother's monitor died and he can't afford a new one. my dad brought over the power board and it's got some bad caps on it.

new monitor: $100
new caps: $1

so we're gonna recap it next time i need to order something from mouser!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Any recommendations for a shenzhen special hot air rework station? currently looking at an "898D+" which has a crappy soldering iron as well

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

Any recommendations for a shenzhen special hot air rework station? currently looking at an "898D+" which has a crappy soldering iron as well

don't get that one, get the 858D

theres a thread on the eevblog forums about it but basically its pretty good out of the box (depending on your luck) and quite a few of them have a micro controller than can be popped out and replaced with a new board that adds a lot of functionality

https://oshpark.com/profiles/GiantGnome

https://github.com/madworm/Youyue-858D-plus

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 4, 2018

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

gah i think i burned out the regulator soldering things to it, that's the problem

there's like no space left on the board for power stuff. i think i might have to put the MFP on a breakout board and just use some ribbon cable to connect it to the main board.

i mean that wouldn't be the worst thing to do, i have a bunch of spare headers i can use.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

NEED MORE MILK posted:

don't get that one, get the 858D

theres a thread on the eevblog forums about it but basically its pretty good out of the box (depending on your luck) and quite a few of them have a micro controller than can be popped out and replaced with a new board that adds a lot of functionality

https://oshpark.com/profiles/GiantGnome

https://github.com/madworm/Youyue-858D-plus

fine

ordered caps & some tools, will see how this goes

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

whats the recommendation for an arm programmer? i think i want something that does jtag and swd and i'm not too fond of the segger educational licensing crap vs the regular $300 or whatever price tag. apparently st-link will program other than st chips? linux support would be nice to have, and i think my budget is maybe $40

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

stlink will work with the full connector. you might want to look into mbed boards and see if you can make do with a cable off one of them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its amazing how much of the cheapo Chinese Hobbyist Electronics stuff is really on par with some expensive US stuff. I have the Shenzen hot air station and its comparable to a professional one I've used.

hifi posted:

whats the recommendation for an arm programmer? i think i want something that does jtag and swd and i'm not too fond of the segger educational licensing crap vs the regular $300 or whatever price tag. apparently st-link will program other than st chips? linux support would be nice to have, and i think my budget is maybe $40

Beaten but STLink, they have a couple cheap USB ARM Programmers, and STLink has decent Linux support.

https://github.com/texane/stlink

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

checking my purchase history, I appear to have bought an entire electronics workshop

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
welp, looks like I learn to solder now. there doesn't seem to be any combination of parts available that can do everything I want without it

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Its amazing how much of the cheapo Chinese Hobbyist Electronics stuff is really on par with some expensive US stuff. I have the Shenzen hot air station and its comparable to a professional one I've used.

Beaten but STLink, they have a couple cheap USB ARM Programmers, and STLink has decent Linux support.

https://github.com/texane/stlink

how does that compare to openocd's stlink support? i found a segger in a drawer at work and use that, but my coworkers use openocd and an stlink and it seems hit or miss.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

haveblue posted:

welp, looks like I learn to solder now. there doesn't seem to be any combination of parts available that can do everything I want without it

get a temp controlled iron, a hakko style tip cleaner, a sucker and some wick from the get and you won't have any problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

muckswirler posted:

get a temp controlled iron, a hakko style tip cleaner, a sucker and some wick from the get and you won't have any problems
you forgot the flux pen