Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
why the gently caress would they call a rugby union promotion "major league rugby"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Feels Villeneuve posted:

why the gently caress would they call a rugby union promotion "major league rugby"

'murica

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m thinking that their contracts with the cable companies prohibit them from putting the networks themselves on there. The NFL also sure as hell won’t let them air NFL games on their own streaming service.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

DJExile posted:

Oh poo poo that's right.

Plus didn't the massive fox buyout include the regional fox sports networks?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mahoning posted:

The problem is, cable cutting will continue while their liabilities when it comes to TV rights are all pretty much set in stone for the foreseeable future. All the layoffs last year was a drop in the bucket. It’s largely unsustainable in the long run.

Add to that the fact that they’ve mostly lost any leverage when it comes to renegotiating carriage fees (NFL ratings aren’t going up and MNF is a joke, not to mention the high cost of cable is the main driver of cord cutting and ESPN is easily the most expensive portion of any cable bill by a country mile), and the future is not bright for ESPN. It’s not “ESPN will cease to exist in a year or two” but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Disney try to sell it. Any shareholders of a publicly traded company are not going to like the liabilities associated with ESPN in an increasingly fragmented and a la carte media market.

Cable cutting isn't coming as fast as people think. The NFL is still a huge draw even if the games suck. They have the NBA which is growing in popularity. And college football is ingrained in our culture. Most sports fans need ESPN.

They're setting up a streaming service as a hedge. If the poo poo hits the fan in the next few years with cord cutting, they can move some programming over to it and bail on making cable their primary source of revenue.

Despite all the doom and gloom, ESPN prints money. They just weren't printing money at the same ridiculous rate they were years back. They didn't cut back to save their business, they cut back so their shareholders could get a bigger dividend. Every other cable channel would still love to be ESPN.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Lost Season posted:

Plus didn't the massive fox buyout include the regional fox sports networks?

yes, even though it's not completed yet

wonder how that's gonna fit into espn+' plans

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Niwrad posted:

Cable cutting isn't coming as fast as people think.

It's also honestly not that great anymore, either. Everything is so fragmented onto 80 different services you don't end up saving any money most of the time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thought about cord cutting but I couldn’t make sense on how to do it and still see all sixers and eagles games in HD

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

It's also honestly not that great anymore, either. Everything is so fragmented onto 80 different services you don't end up saving any money most of the time.

yeah, i figured this out years ago

also isn't espn+ is supposed to be a test for disney's general entertainment netflix competitor coming next year

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

I thought about cord cutting but I couldn’t make sense on how to do it and still see all sixers and eagles games in HD

For Louisiana sports, I subscribe to Vue and get the channel for all Pelican games (and others). I then use that same login/sub with the Fox Sports Go app and/or website to chromecast Saints games, though that actually didn't work until late in the season because these deals are all asinine which is why we are talking about this in the first place.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

yeah, i figured this out years ago

also isn't espn+ is supposed to be a test for disney's general entertainment netflix competitor coming next year

Yes, this is another important factor.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

what's weird is that rugby league seems like it'd be a much better idea if you wanted to get rugby over in america for some god-forsaken reason, since it's more similar to football and has far fewer weird-rear end rules with breakdowns

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

I got Playstation Vue. It gets NBC Sports Philadelphia so I can still watch Sixers game on there. Been doing it for a couple months now and it has worked out very well. If you have a PS4 or Firestick or Chromecast you'll be good to go using it on your TV. I think Sling and DirecTV Now get the local channel too but not 100%

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what's weird is that rugby league seems like it'd be a much better idea if you wanted to get rugby over in america for some god-forsaken reason, since it's more similar to football and has far fewer weird-rear end rules with breakdowns

I'm with you on that, I think there's more transferable skills from certain positions in football to rugby league than union

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jota posted:

I got Playstation Vue. It gets NBC Sports Philadelphia so I can still watch Sixers game on there. Been doing it for a couple months now and it has worked out very well. If you have a PS4 or Firestick or Chromecast you'll be good to go using it on your TV. I think Sling and DirecTV Now get the local channel too but not 100%

Eagles games ?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

Eagles games ?

Wouldn’t 95% of all Eagles games be picked up with an antenna?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Wouldn’t 95% of all Eagles games be picked up with an antenna?

Are they HD? Also I live in the middle of Mordor

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

Are they HD? Also I live in the middle of Mordor

Most of the time digital over the air is HD sand better quality than the compression cable uses.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

Eagles games ?

Yeah I get them no problem since it gets the local channels on it too and it gets ESPN and NFL Network and NBATV and the national NBCSports and all that. The only thing it really doesn't have is Viacom channels but that won't impact watching sports.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
To me for what I want that thing sucks rear end.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

League is dying in the old country and Union has been popular enough that this is like the 4th attempt to put a pro tour together in the us. Also since Major League Soccer made it big literally every fringe sport is "Major League" now, like Major League Lacrosse, and Major League Ultimate (rip). Same reason the National (hockey) League and National (football) League picked those names in the ye olden days.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
National Hockey League is silly because hasn’t it been international from day one?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Henchman of Santa posted:

National Hockey League is silly because hasn’t it been international from day one?

it took 6 years before the NHL added the Boston Bruins and became a 2 country league

before that, all the teams were (obviously) Canadian

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Peanut President posted:

League is dying in the old country and Union has been popular enough that this is like the 4th attempt to put a pro tour together in the us. Also since Major League Soccer made it big literally every fringe sport is "Major League" now, like Major League Lacrosse, and Major League Ultimate (rip). Same reason the National (hockey) League and National (football) League picked those names in the ye olden days.

Major League Baseball is over 100 years old, so it's not a recent thing. Also it's international despite "National" and "American" leagues as well. :v:

I wish they didn't have silly blackout rules for their streaming though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Major League Baseball is over 100 years old, so it's not a recent thing. Also it's international despite "National" and "American" leagues as well. :v:

I wish they didn't have silly blackout rules for their streaming though.

major league would imply that there's a minor league or lesser series, which is what the original distinction between the national and american leagues were as compared to the other national association teams.

its just another part of MLS co-opting a naming scheme that makes no loving sense (Real Salt Lake and others) since anyone good plays in europe and they are like AA on the scale of things

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do they pronounce it real or re-al?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

Re-al I’m pretty sure. They usurped the Utah Jazz for funniest name in American pro sports.

MLS also has names like Houston Dynamo and Sporting Kansas City. I’m waiting for Shakhtar Detroit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

exploded mummy posted:

major league would imply that there's a minor league or lesser series, which is what the original distinction between the national and american leagues were as compared to the other national association teams.

its just another part of MLS co-opting a naming scheme that makes no loving sense (Real Salt Lake and others) since anyone good plays in europe and they are like AA on the scale of things

I was trying to bait peanut :ssh:

US sports are definitely set up weirdly compared to the rest of the world. Though when is the NHL going to rebrand to "Major League Hockey"?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Latter, the ownership was a fan of Real Madrid and wanted to use the name because it sounded cool and simple.

They're actually called Real Madrid because Real Madrid actually translates to Royal Madrid because they actually had a patronage from the Spanish royalty.

Real Salt Lake doesn't actually have any sort of patronage and is just an utterly stupid name.

At least the Utah Jazz are justifiable in being an artifact of relocation.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

io i love ya but you make your baiting waaaaay too obvious

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

I was trying to bait peanut :ssh:

US sports are definitely set up weirdly compared to the rest of the world. Though when is the NHL going to rebrand to "Major League Hockey"?

Probably never, the NBA/NHL/NFL bought out their competitors and merged then in.

The AL and NL were independent of eachother for 97 years.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I really thought MLS was trending towards decent names with the Sounders/Union/Timbers/Whitecaps run but they seem to be regressing

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

exploded mummy posted:

The AL and NL were independent of eachother for 97 years.

Yeah, literally the only reason the offices were shuttered was because Bud Selig didn't want a repeat of the 1994 - 95 labor negotiations, during which Bill White and Gene Budig were having back-channel talks with the union in an effort to end the strike. Selig's tenure in general was notable for the centralization of power in the commissioner's office.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

morestuff posted:

I really thought MLS was trending towards decent names with the Sounders/Union/Timbers/Whitecaps run but they seem to be regressing

Sounders, Timbers, and Whitecaps all predate MLS, that's why.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just a reminder that MLS names were horrible even before they started borrowing european naming conventions.

Kansas City Wiz
Columbus Crew
Dallas Burn
Tampa Bay Mutiny
San Jose Clash
Miami Fusion
NY/NJ Metrostars
LA Galaxy

Why is it that every nickname is like an abstract thing instead of traditional animals or something similar? Seriously the only animal nickname in MLS is the RedBulls and that's pushing it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Just a reminder that MLS names were horrible even before they started borrowing european naming conventions.

Kansas City Wiz
Columbus Crew
Dallas Burn
Tampa Bay Mutiny
San Jose Clash
Miami Fusion
NY/NJ Metrostars
LA Galaxy

Why is it that every nickname is like an abstract thing instead of traditional animals or something similar? Seriously the only animal nickname in MLS is the RedBulls and that's pushing it.

I imagine trademarks had a LOT to do with it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Kansas City Wiz
Columbus Crew
Dallas Burn
Tampa Bay Mutiny
San Jose Clash
Miami Fusion
NY/NJ Metrostars
LA Galaxy

Like half of the NBA has names that aren't much better. These were attempts to be unique.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I don't even mind just going the FC/SC route and letting fans do the creative work, but the league doesn't need three Uniteds and a Union

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I imagine trademarks had a LOT to do with it.

also to do with old people trying to appeal to X-Games culture in the mid-90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

they will indeed have the full 30 for 30 archive

plus a new one

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/981191546904219648